Start by marking “A Search for Refuge (Haven Manor, #0.5)” as Want to Read:
A Search for Refuge (Haven Manor, #0.5)

A Search for Refuge

(Haven Manor 0.5)

Margaretta Fortescue desperately needs to disappear from London society, and her only hope is to follow the rumors of another young woman who recently made a life for herself away from the glare of society. Her search leads her to the market town of Marlborough where, in spite of her efforts to avoid attention, she can’t seem to elude local solicitor, Nash Banfield.

All N
Published March 6th 2018 by Bethany House (first published March 2018)

To ask other readers questions about A Search for Refuge, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Search for Refuge

Beth
A Search for Refuge is a lovely little story. Margaretta is an endearing character, and I found myself empathetic to her plight. I appreciated the realism that Hunter portrays in this story. Women had so few options without the care of a husband, brother, father, etc., and when those options weren't available to them, it was difficult indeed. Though his change of heart seemed a bit abrupt, Nash's protectiveness of those he cares about drew me in, and I ended up enjoying the romantic thread, espe ...more
Staci
Aug 26, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2018
A Search for Refuge is the novella that starts off the new Haven Manor Series. While I enjoyed parts of the story, some pieces including the romance were rather abrupt.
MissCherry
Nov 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Una historia corta muy dulce que da inicio a la nueva serie de Kriti Ann Hunter. En este relato conocemos a las dos protagonistas de los siguientes dos libres mientras la autora nos cuenta la historia de Margaretta, una joven que llega a Marlborough huyendo e intentando ocultar un enorme secreto, y Nash, un abogado de un remoto pueblecito que tras un suceso duro de su pasado se ha aislado de todo y todos. El relato consta de diez capítulos bien estructurados en los cuales se va desentrañando el ...more
Sydney Elaine
I feel like this story may have done better as a full-fledged novel, because the plot seems pretty interesting and something that I would enjoy reading.

However, while I liked it well enough at first, the more I got into it the more I just couldn’t get into it. I didn’t really feel invested into the two main characters so their romance really did nothing for me.
I don’t know. There are some historical inaccuracies that bother me a little, as well; little things such as language and manners.

I want
Hannah
Some parts were confusing to try to read through, but overall this was a really enjoyable little story. Nash and Margaretta were an interesting couple and made a sweet pair in the end. I liked the exchange Nash and Mr. Fortescue had...also I'm looking forward to Katherine's story this summer.
Hallie Szott
4.5

Reading Challenge Categories:
-Beat the Backlist Reading Bingo: Novella
Heidi Robbins (Heidi Reads...)
Loved the characters, the setting, and the lead-in to the first book in the series! I love prequels that really add to the backstory and depth of a series.
Joleen
Mar 09, 2018 rated it liked it
Newly widowed Margaretta needs to escape from her late husband's brother. Traveling round-about routes to throw off anyone who might be following, and with only a modest amount of money, she takes mail coaches as far away from London as she can.
The first woman she befriends, and my favorite character, Mrs. Lancaster, offers her a room above her store. But what Margaretta really wants is to find Katherine, a woman who also went into hiding, believing Katherine can help her with her predicament.
Sarah Monzon
Mar 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
A nice introduction to a new series. <3
Fiction Aficionado
Mar 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: novella, regency, romance
I love the premise behind this new series: Haven Manor—a place for young women who find themselves in ‘a delicate situation’, as they might say, where they can escape the scorn of society and receive the support they need. This novella is set about ten years before the first full-length novel in the series takes place (due to release 5 June 2018) and tells the story of how Haven Manor comes to be. There’s a little bit of intrigue, and I enjoyed the development of Margaretta and Nash’s friendship ...more
Melanie
Mar 31, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: need-to-post
An interesting prequel to the series. It definitely has me intrigued now to continue the series and see what the full-length novels are like. I liked the characters and the romance was okay.
Andrea Boyd
Mar 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
I look forward to the rest of this series. I hope to see more of my favorite character, Mrs. Lancaster!
Melissa
I was pretty excited to see Hunters new series. Maybe I made it too big in my head. It was a good little story. I was lost in a couple parts, the writing seemed rushed. This is the starting book to a series called Haven Manor and this in no way puts me off reading the rest of the series. I know they will be good books, this one just did not hit the spot for me. Squeaky Clean with a Christian element, and adult subjects of unwed mothers.
Kristen
This one was just ok for me...I didn't connect very well to the main characters. Nash had a lot of baggage to deal with and Margaretta...I don't know...

Moral Note: Mild talk of pregnancy outside of marriage.
Paula Shreckhise
A Search For Refuge is another delightful tale from Kristi Ann Hunter.

In 1804 England, Margaretta is fleeing for her life and trying to find her friend Katherine, who disappeared under questionable circumstances. Can she find the answers and refuge in Marlborough? Are Mrs Lancaster, a local shopkeeper, and Nash Banfield, a solicitor, people she can trust or will they reveal her whereabouts to her father and unscrupulous brother-in-law? Margaretta is out of her element. Having grown up in wealth
Sheila Holmes
May 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars.

A novella. Under 100 pages, so it was a quick read.

Sweet little story. Enjoyable read. Only downloaded it on a fluke, but really glad I did.

I can easily recommend this novel. And, I'm thinking about continuing in this series.
Tandie
Jan 20, 2019 rated it it was ok
I enjoyed the beginning, but the love story was pretty weak. MC is a Mary Sue and very much the damsel in distress.

The hero, Nash, had a pretty flimsy reason (IMO) for avoiding relationships and children. I might be more sympathetic if it was his own wife who died in childbirth, the baby soon after, but it was his brother’s wife and child. Nash’s bro got super depressed and said the worst part was that he was responsible. He had caused her death by making love to his wife and getting her with ch
Amy
Mar 15, 2018 rated it liked it
Excited for the new series from Kristi Ann Hunter, and this novella intro was a nice big step into the location and storyline. My major issues with the book, really stem from the fact that its a short story, which provides so many limits that, had this been a full novel, based on what I have read in the past by this author would have ironed out all of those details.

At times, it gets a little confusing. We are introduced also to Nash's really big difficulties with marriage and family. His reason
Rebecca
Apr 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
" . . .worries belonged to the Lord since He stayed up all night anyway."

The Lord only knew how many worries Margaretta carried under the hood of her bright yellow cloak when she stepped off the mail carriage in Malborough, England. Following the trail of a months old letter from a dear friend, she found herself in Lancaster's store, nearly begging for food and dodging questions from a tall, dark and handsome local solicitor.

Nash Banfield's keen instincts told him that "traveling alone, travelin
Nicole
A Search for Refuge (2018) by Kristi Ann Hunter is the first story in her soon-to-release series, Haven Manor. This novella was just released this past Tuesday, March 6, 2018, by Bethany House Publishers. This novella comes in eBook format, and is 129 pages in length. With a full-time job and a very busy five-year old at home, this story took me two days to devour! Currently, this novella is free through Amazon, Barnes and Noble, and CBD. I downloaded a copy to read and review from Amazon on Mar ...more
Rachael
Mar 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: novellas
I always love a good story, but I really appreciate it when a prequel sets up a series--and this book does a perfect job. Not only is it a different spin on why a girl might find herself alone and on the run, but it also sets up a haven for others in desperate need, and hence the series. As such, it has a bit heavier subject matter than the author's previous books, but it promises to be both intriguing and moving. I just wish we didn't have to wait until June for the first full-length novel! And ...more
Amy
Jun 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this sample of Kristi Ann Hunters new series. I'm glad that there is more coming because I hated putting this one down.

What would you do to protect yourself and loved ones when danger loomed? I'm sure that there were many instances of unwed young mothers in history and the desperate measures they had to take for survival. This book opens up what I hope was a possibility for some of them and I can't wait to read more.
Dana Michael
May 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sweet Regency Novella

This was a sweet and clean novella about a young woman who had married for advantage and not for love. She was on the run looking for an acquaintance in a small town to get help. She meets an older widow
Lady who takes her in and also a handsome solicitor. I can't wait to start the first story in this series. I love the fact the novella had an excerpt in it for the first book
Lisa  (Bookworm Lisa)
Jun 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book has made me excited to read the new full length book for this series by Kristi Ann Hunter.

The characters are facing some trials and need faith, love, friends, etc to help them get through it.

I "purchased" a copy for Free on my Kindle.
Anne
Mar 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Well-written introduction for the next series. I wish it had been full length. Hunter has a way with words and characters and I thoroughly enjoyed all of these!
Leah
May 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a sweet story. I liked the characters and the romance. I also liked the ending. It took a few turns that I wasn't expecting. The "villain" is still on the loose, so I hope that is taken care of in the next book, but if it isn't, I am happy with what happened. I look forward to seeing how things work out for the other characters--Kit and Daphne. They deserve a bit of romance and a HEA.
Cheryl-Lynn
Aug 11, 2018 rated it liked it
A cute read but solutions to problems came too quick and easy.
BlueJeansAndTeacups
•°o•:*:•.A MOST ENJOYABLE REGENCY READ.•:*:• o°•

Marlborough, England 1804
Margaretta Fortescue arrives tired and dusty in Marlborough after 3 days of changing mail coaches to try and escape danger. She heads for a small grocer to ease her grumbling stomach, only to meet with Mrs. Lancaster who is the friendly and chatty proprietor. Little does she know she has been followed by the local solicitor, Mr. Nash Banfield who has promised to look after the elderly widow and ensure no damsels in distress
The Books and Biscuits Blog
Mar 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A Search for Refuge – Kristi Ann Hunter (4.5-5 Stars)

Ms. Hunter kicks off her Haven Manor series with a free e-novella, A Search for Refuge. Margaretta Fortescue finds herself running from her previous life to the small town of Marlborough. She hopes to discover a solution to her current predicament through the wisdom of an old friend, who also seemed to disappear from London society along a similar route. Along the way, Margaretta is taken under the wing of one of the town’s elderly widows and
Tori Young
Dec 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Love this series, but this book spent a long time getting into the issue and then resolved it too quickly in my opinion. Still liked it, but thought the whole thing was a bit odd. Especially the end... idk there was just some things I thought were a bit sloppy, writing-wise.
  • The Elusive Miss Ellison (Regency Brides: A Legacy of Grace, #1)
  • Long Journey Home (Longing for Home, #4)
  • The Weaver's Daughter
  • Miss Wilton's Waltz
  • The Husband Maneuver (A Worthy Pursuit, #1.5)
  • Shine Like the Dawn
  • A Lady Unrivaled (Ladies of the Manor, #3)
  • Lady of a Thousand Treasures (The Victorian Ladies, #1)
  • The Vow (An Uncertain Choice, #0.5)
  • Her Dearly Unintended (Ozark Mountain Romance #2.5)
  • Lady Sarah's Redemption
  • Summer on Sunset Ridge (Forever Freedom #1)
  • Ransome's Crossing (The Ransome Trilogy, #2)
  • Bespoke: A Tiny Christmas Tale
  • The Suspect's Daughter  (Rogue Hearts #4)
Kristi Ann Hunter graduated from Georgia Tech with a degree in Computer Science but always knew she wanted to write. Kristi is an RWA Golden Heart contest winner, an ACFW Genesis contest winner, and a Georgia Romance Writers Maggie Award for Excellence winner. She lives with her husband and three children in Georgia. Find her online at www.kristiannhunter.com.

Haven Manor (3 books)
  • A Defense of Honor (Haven Manor, #1)
  • A Return of Devotion (Haven Manor, #2)
  • A Pursuit of Home (Haven Manor, #3)
“Why else do you think I’m always sweeping my steps when the mail comes through? I want to see who the good Lord brought to town for me to bless.” 0 likes