Start by marking “An Interlude in Berlin” as Want to Read:
An Interlude in Berlin

An Interlude in Berlin

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  38 ratings  ·  22 reviews
Berlin, January 1959. Dillon Randolph, a young Foreign Service officer, arrives at the U.S. Mission in Berlin hoping for a fresh start after a messy scandal at his last embassy posting. A Soviet ultimatum designed to force the Allies from the city and stop the flow of East Germans to the West has put Berliners on edge.

When Dillon meets Christa Schiller, an actress from th
Published March 2nd 2018 by Munroe Hill Press

To ask other readers questions about An Interlude in Berlin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about An Interlude in Berlin

Bella
Feb 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
With this meticulously crafted Cold War spy thriller, historical auteur Jefferson Flanders scores big. Highly recommended for fans of John le Carré.

Check out the rest of my review on BestThrillers.com
Harold Kasselman
Jefferson Flanders writes with an understated style of writing akin to the "stiff upper lip"of the English stereotype. I love his works. He writes intelligently and educates his reader about the history of the cold war. In this case it is the creation of the island of Berlin amid the conquering nations after the war. The Soviets and East Germans battle the English and American spy agencies for supremacy of Berlin and with it an advance in world leadership. Some of the characters and double agent ...more
Melinda M
Mar 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An Interlude in Berlin by Jefferson Flanders is a cold war thriller. Jefferson Flanders teaches as well as writes a thrilling spy story. It is set in Berlin and of course concerns a crisis. it is well written and organized. The story flows and keeps your interest.
I received a copy thru a Goodreads Giveaway.
Anne Hamm
Mar 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely loved this book! Mr Flanders transports the reader to post WWII Europe for tales of intrigue and espionage and romance. A true page-turner that I couldn't put down.
Joy  Cagil
Mar 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I have to begin by saying that I truly enjoyed reading this novel. Its story was also a way of recalling history through the author Jefferson Flanders’ words since I have a few years on me. As an added bonus, Flanders informs the reader with a short historical data at the end of the book.

In the story’s setup, the American diplomat Dillon Randolph, after his scandal with a married woman in Australia, is sent to Berlin with no distinct job description. At this time, the communists find out about D
Missy
May 12, 2018 rated it it was ok
I have to admit this was a very confusing book for me, lots of characters to keep track of, and the topic was just kind of off for me. But, if you like pre-Cold War romantic fiction, then this is the book for you. I loved the story between Dillon Randolph, an American working as a diplomat in Berlin, and Christa, an actress from what becomes East Berlin – basically a wrong side of the tracks romance. Christa works with the KGB to release her brother who is in prison because he spoke out against ...more
Brian Williams
Apr 19, 2018 rated it it was ok
This is a spy story set in Berlin in 1959, when tensions were high between the US and the Soviets over the future of the city. The Soviets, via the East Berlin Stasi, coerce an attractive actress, Christa Schmitt, into seducing a newly arrived US diplomat, Dillon Randolph, in order to compromise him. Through coincidence this plan comes to the attention of a British intelligence agent, Felix Hawes, who has been sent to Berlin to identify a traitor who is leaking secrets from the British Mission t ...more
Bonnye Reed
Jul 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2018
GA An Interlude in Berlin is an excellent slice of life in the vibrant city of Berlin following the Second World War, from 1958 through August 12, 1961 and the Wall going up. After reading this novel it is much easier to picture the tensions and sparring between the four factions controlling their sections of Berlin following the German defeat, and to understand the reasoning behind the almost inevitable raising of the wall.

Jefferson Flanders writes a tight, well paced story, with marvelous sce
L.S.
Apr 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Beginning in 1959 in Berlin, at a time of high tension and double-crossing, this story mixes just enough realism to the plot to maintain credibility, while weaving a most believable plot of spies, conspiracy and double-agents to keep the reader enthralled and needing to know more.

For Dillon Randolph, Berlin is a chance to escape wagging tongues at home and start afresh as a US diplomat. Romance was to be avoided at all costs.
Enter Christa, an actress from East Berlin, with a desperate desire to
Ben
Mar 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Well done Cold War novel.

"An Interlude in Berlin" is a well done novel of the Cold War. It is about two people caught up in a small interlude of an ongoing struggle.
Centered in Berlin in before the infamous wall was built by the East Germans. It tell the story of two people who are brought together by the design of others, men who were used to manipulating people as it they were pawns on a chessboard.

Dillon Randolph , an American diplomat who was sent home in dis grace from his first posting bec
Lynn
Apr 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Set in divided Berlin which is 100 miles deep into East Germany. Christa, an actress formerly with the Volkstheater troup, has been recruited by the Stasi as a double agent. She's a willing informer because her brother is being held in East Germany.

She's now with the Neues Theater in the British sector, keeping her eyes wide open. Dillon Randolph, an American with a checkered past and whose father is a US Senator, has recently been assigned to the US Mission diplomatic corps.

Christa conspires
Jak60
Mar 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interlude in Berlin is an excellent espionage novel set in Berlin in 1959, so two years before the wall was raised. I have been always fascinated by the difference in ambience, tonality, plot of espionage stories taking place before or after the wall was built. I am fascinated to observe how the wall has drawn a line not only in history and politics but also in this literary genre.
And in fact, while you will enjoy thoroughly the well constructed plot and the well developed characters, this is a
Kerri
Apr 30, 2018 rated it it was ok
I received this book as a goodreads giveaway. I was stationed in West Berlin during the Cold War and was there when the Berlin Wall came down; therefore, I had high hopes for this book. Unfortunately, it didn't really live up to them. The author captured the feel and spirit of Berlin well and, for me, that was the only saving grace.

There wasn't enough development of the relationship between Dillon and Christa (at least, not enough to believe that he fell hard for her), there wasn't much depth t
Florence Fales
Apr 21, 2018 rated it liked it
Berlin, history and love

This book had a lot of history. It starts in 1959. Berlin Germany. A United States diplomat is sent to Germany because the government wants to put an affair he had under wraps. While in Germany he meets an East Berlin woman, Christa. She works in the western Berlin theater. She's also working with the German government who has her brother in prison. They want her to get the United States diplomat,Dillon, to crossover into Easy Germany to smuggle . He refuses. The people D
Marie (UK)
Perhaps spy novels are just not my thing. What others see as expert craftsmanship I saw as contrivance. I kept losing interest in the plot. It took me a lot longer than an average book of this size would take me to read normally. However, there is a lot of History in this book and there is realism in the description of Historic events. I enjoyed the intrigue of creating a defector on paper then attempting to turn it into reality. I have wavered between 2 and 3 stars as a rating and feel that it ...more
Pam Cunningham
May 28, 2018 rated it liked it
Interesting

It was an interesting book. I was a little confused at first but then as the story progresses it all
made sense. I enjoyed the love story and the historical aspects in the book. The book was filled with intrigue, romance and drama.
Teresa
Jul 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: giveaways
I received this book in a Goodreads Giveaway. I liked the book because I know it was fiction but I felt like it could have been nonfiction. If you like books about spies after WWII in Germany you will love this book.
Edshakes
May 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As a fan of LeCarre and Alan Furst, this was right up my alley, intelligent spy story.
ASmythe
May 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great read if you like historical spy thrillers!
Maggies Daisy
Jul 09, 2018 rated it liked it
As a big fan of James Bond, I naturally assumed that it was a spies job to seduce women for information as part of their job description. But this young CIA man finds himself transferred to Berlin after a messy affair with an upper ranking members wife tries to commit suicide after the incident ended. Do to his loose morals the Russians decide to plant a young actress in his path only to have the tables turned. I liked the story but thought something was lacking; maybe it could have been a longe ...more
Judy
May 15, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I received this book from Goodreads kindle giveaway. The historical aspect was interesting but the story seemed to be boring. It was just lacking that any excitement or something to really keep you on edge.
Hope
Jun 10, 2018
TheoG
Apr 30, 2018
Jefferson Flanders
May 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Grace
Feb 16, 2018
Marina Belica
May 30, 2018
Mike Fordham
Mar 18, 2018
Jefferson Flanders, a novelist, has been a sportswriter, columnist, editor, and publishing executive.

He is the author of CAFÉ CAROLINA AND OTHER STORIES, and the critically acclaimed First Trumpet trilogy of HERALD SQUARE, THE NORTH BUILDING, and THE HILL OF THREE BORDERS.