Start by marking “Der Codex” as Want to Read:
Der Codex

Der Codex

Die Söhne der Familie Broadbent sind seit Jahren zerstritten. Doch dann verschwindet ihr Vater - mitsamt seinem Vermögen. Nur wenn es den Brüdern gelingt, ihre Differenzen zu überwinden, können sie ihn finden und das Erbe retten. Was die drei nicht wissen: Unter den Schätzen, die Maxwell Broadbent im Lauf seines Lebens aus Königsgräbern geraubt hat, befindet sich auch der ...more
Audible Audio, ungekürzt
Published February 22nd 2013 by Audible Studios (first published December 17th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Der Codex, please sign up.
Sabrina The Book Lover No, this is a standalone novel and has nothing to do with the Pendergast series (of which Relic is the 1st).

Jason Anthony
Dec 30, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
If you read Dan Brown's books and thought, "You know -- I'd like this more if the writing was poorer, the plot structure less interesting, and the anthropological assumptions weaker and more stereotypical" then this is the book for you.

I have read most of Dan Brown's work and I find it an amusing distraction that often teaches me something I then cross reference. The only thing "The Codex" taught me is that Dan Brown is deserving of a bit more respect because his books are fast-paced and keep y
Cheryl
Nov 03, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun adventure tale set in the rain forests of Honduras. An Indiana Jones type of plot, looking for an ancient codex of plant medicines. Some jungle scenes went on a bit long, but the characters were interesting.
Glen
Oct 31, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: men-s-adventure
A rich man who tore his wealth away from the jungles and deserts of the world, attempts to raise his sons the way Doc Savage was raised. It fails completely, and all the sons are upper class losers.

Then the rich man disappears. And so does all of his wealth. The sons pursue the riches into the jungle, finding themselves in the process of dodging all the dangers of the jungle, plus some other people hunting the riches, and a priceless Mayan Codex.

Not bad at all, but not as great. Lincoln Child re
João  Jorge
Jun 04, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Dentists! You evil bastards!
Recommended to João by: Bastard who made the cover look good!
Shelves: action, pulp-fiction
To make my feelings perfectly clear about “The Codex” I should start by mentioning that my favorite character in the novel was a monkey! That is how uncompelling, boring, bland and completely devoid of any interest, the rest of the characters are.
The plot of the book is extraordinarily stupid. You get that just by reading the back of the cover. I was ready for a fun romp through the jungle, a kick-ass adventure full of dangers and perhaps some ancient ruins with traps and improbable but cool ac
Skyw4lker
Jul 04, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Did the first 24 chapters - everything has been set; the search, the place, the swamp, and the help from local villages. There are 3 teams in search of the buried treasure; Tom & Sally, Philip and his father old friend, Vernon and the Teacher. Along with couple of strong armies. Seems more a race to the treasure buried by Max. The only gift given to the 3 sons - is it worth the challenge...
Yup is worth the challenge...not to spoil your reading. But is something you must read on to find out.
Olethros
-Aventuras y evasión.-

Género. Novela.

Lo que nos cuenta. Los hermanos Broadbent, Tom, Philip y Vernon, se encuentran en la mansión familiar tras haber sido convocados a una misteriosa reunión por su moribundo padre, saqueador de tumbas y restos arqueológicos en otros tiempos, para descubrir que la enorme casa parece haber sido completamente saqueada y sus contenidos de arte y antigüedades, valorados en varios cientos millones de dólares, robados a pesar de las fuertes medidas de seguridad. Pero u
Jeff Dickison
This one is just too silly for words. Almost every cliche ever used in a jungle/lost treasure book is used here. The only saving grace is that a few scenes, although horribly predictable, are a little interesting, and I am a fan of Preston & Child.
Don
Aug 18, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Ryan
Dec 16, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
it was better than the last indiana jones movie. if you liked that you would probably like this book.
K.
30/11/2016
I stand by pretty much everything I said last time. It's pretty fast paced. It's fun if a little dumb. In short, pretty solid airplane fiction.

30/11/2014
On reread, I'm bumping this down to three stars. It's a fun story - rich old man decides that his sons aren't worthy of inheriting so takes himself off to Central America to be buried with his art collection, like Mayan royalty. The sons have to decide if they want to go after him and become tomb robbers (which is how their father got
Justin Lambert
May 16, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Here's hoping this Preston novel is as fantastic as the last. I'm only on page 7 so far, but I've got high hopes!

So I finished The Codex in record time, but not for the reason I would hope. See, I was sick for a few days so I pretty much did nothing but sit and read and cough and blow my nose and read some more.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the book, but I've kind of developed a Douglas Preston addiction of late and the book kind of felt a touch anti-climatic to me. Maybe it's just a matter of
Robin
Apr 25, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2005
Right after I started this one, it seemed familiar. I think my dad listened to it on audio when it came out in hardback and told me about it. Three sons, an inheritance, and their crazy old man who decides to make them prove themselves by burying himself and his "treasure" in a tomb for them to seek out and claim. Action-packed, psycho bad-guy, lots of jungle adventure, and even a little romance. A quote on the cover compares it to Indiana Jones and the Amazing Race, and it's not too far off. Fu ...more
Larry Hamilton
Oct 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An intriguing, fast paced and suspenseful story set in the jungles of Honduras. After the introduction of 14 characters in the first 70 pages, things settle down and the plot develops nicely with a few twists and turns added to keep things interesting. Not a masterpiece, but a fun adventure to read.
John
Apr 06, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
Although this book kind of started slow, it finished quite well. It involved what I would call the predictable romantic attraction of individuals in extream environments; however, it also had some quite interesting and funny turns and twists. Towards the end it was good enough that I would sit and listen to what was happening instead of just turning off the car and going to whatever. The story (spoiler): a very rich man goes off to bury himself with all his riches - gives his three sons a challe ...more
Candice
Sep 28, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Candice by: Jason
I don't know precisely what it is, but the combination of Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child makes a book that is (usually) far greater than the sum total of each as an individual writer. When I first read this book, I loved or else really enjoyed most of the books the two of them had written together, so I was enthusiastic and had high hopes for Preston's solo offering.

Largely I ended up disappointed. The plot seemed more contrived and boring, more pointless. The book just didn't zing as much as
China
Sep 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: adventurers
THIS BOOK WAS AMAZING. I loved it from start to finish. It was action packed, puzzling, exciting, romantic and hilarious! It is seriously one of the best books I've ever read. Preston has a way of keeping the story moving quickly, but still delivering minute and important details without letting the story drag. After the first page I was hooked. The characters he described and introduced in the book were so easily for me to see in my head. I was able to connect to them in such a heartfelt way th ...more
Melody
Jan 17, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Grabs you from the first few scenes! Should be a movie!
Richard Canale
May 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
More Indiana Jones than DaVinci Code, but a fun read nonetheless. If you're looking for a true treasure hunt (like me), this is not your choice. If you want a fun adventure ride through the jungle, this book is filled with dynamic characters and loaded with action.
Bostonians will snicker when they read that 'Sally Colorado's mom' waited tables at the Red Lobster in Boston. As any Bostonian knows, we do not nor have had a Red Lobster. ;)
David Schwan
Dec 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Action packed stand alone book. A half billion dollars worth of precious artwork is hidden in the Central American jungle and three brothers are on a journey to find the art. What motives each of the brothers have is different, with one brother rather indifferent about the treasure. A fast paced story ensues and in the end the results made sense.
Kachina
Sep 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a great change of pace, and a real page-turner.
Jian Hou
Mar 30, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
Eccentric billionaire died. He left a huge will behind for his 3 sons, but with the condition that they find his tomb first where he buried himself and his legacy. Mildly entertaining.
Vicki Macroberts
Aug 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book. Quick read, not as predictable as I thought it was going to be. Nice beach book.
Patrick Gibson
Apr 12, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: preposterous action adventure lovers
Shelves: testosterone
I wonder how many variations and adaptations of ‘King Lear’ there are. Innumerable, I suppose. ‘The Codex’ is another—well, at least in precept. It has nothing to do with Shakespeare except for the idea of a wealthy man making his kids suffer for their inheritance.

It’s actually a pretty good idea for an action adventure as opposed to a family drama. In this case, a fabulously rich (aren’t they always?) Maxwell Broadbend will give his three sons their inheritance—a half a billion dollar split—on
Brooke
Jun 12, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2007, thriller
I'm a huge fan of the series of books co-authored by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child. I also enjoyed Child's first solo novel, but Preston's The Codex left me wondering if Child is the heart of their writing duo (although Child's Utopia certainly had some plot holes).

In The Codex, Maxwell Broadbent is a multi-millionaire who is dying of cancer. Instead of simply leaving his fortune to his three sons, who were never able to live up to his unreasonably high expectations, he decides to seal himse
Loraine Alcorn
Jul 19, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
All I can say is, Wow was this a great book ! Its so full of adventure and excitement, why they never made this into a movie is really everyone's loss .
This story is about 3 brothers who find out there very wealthy but eccentric father, who they have been estranged from ,and who is dieing of cancer, just packed all his art and millions of dollars worth of property off to be buried in a tomb somewhere in the world for them to find .
One of the sons is not interested in looking for his inheritanc
Swagato Barman Roy
Based on my presumption about a thriller, I expected a more hardcore mystery thriller with little or no emotional melodrama. Little did I expect it to be a book about life lessons and how (not) to raise children, how (not) to be a good son and a romance tale developing in the remotest latin American forest. The author seems more concerned about teaching moral lessons rather than developing the story. There is no plot twist, and in spite of a great start, the entire plot becomes too obvious in th ...more
Willard G
Mar 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun book, should be a movie. Read it, and guess the cast.
Mazel
Aug 20, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
Bonjour du pays des morts !

Ainsi débute la vidéo laissée par un richissime collectionneur à ses trois fils.

Ils apprennent que leur père s'est enterré vivant avec ses trésors dans une cité perdue d'Amérique centrale. Celui qui découvrira sa retraite héritera de sa fortune.

Mais les trois frères ne sont pas les seuls à convoiter ces pièces inestimables... en particulier un manuscrit maya du XIe siècle, le Codex, qui pourrait révolutionner l'industrie pharmaceutique.

La chasse au trésor est lancé
Suby
Sep 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is most certainly one of the best adventure novels I have read. As there are very few unexplored areas left in the world, Douglas Preston takes us on to a journey of Honduras. The inept parent who wishes to impose all his plans on his children to force them to be what what he wants them to be is the intrinsic theme of the story. When the self made father puts up challenges in front of the his sons to enable them to inherit his fortune is the theme. Some flashback on Mayan civilization is th ...more
Threasa
Nov 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. I couldn't believe I was so excited about people trudging through swamp and mountains to find an ancient Mayan text. Mr. Preston made it so exciting and interesting. I couldn't put the book down. You just never knew what was coming next. Who will live? Who will die? Will anybody die? Will they make it? Will they find the Codex? I recommend this book to anyone who loves adventure.
Pendergast Task F...: Favorite book by either Preston OR Child 16 49 Jan 15, 2013 09:06AM

• Death Match
  • Deep Fathom
  • Raising Atlantis (Conrad Yeats Adventure #1)
  • The Gilded Seal (Tom Kirk, #3)
  • Crusader Gold (Jack Howard, #2)
  • The Ark (Tyler Locke, #1)
  • Antarktos Rising (Origins, #4)
  • The Alexander Cipher (Daniel Knox, #1)
  • The Sacred Vault (Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase, #6)
  • Ancients (Event Group Thriller #3)
Douglas Preston was born in Cambridge, Massachusetts, in 1956, and grew up in the deadly boring suburb of Wellesley. Following a distinguished career at a private nursery school--he was almost immediately expelled--he attended public schools and the Cambridge School of Weston. Notable events in his early life included the loss of a fingertip at the age of three to a bicycle; the loss of his two fr ...more
“The third board popped off. The opening was now big enough to squeeze through. The dogs in town were barking hysterically.” 1 likes
“It’s not like Father to be late,” 0 likes