Start by marking “Deer Woman: An Anthology” as Want to Read:
Deer Woman: An Anthology

Deer Woman: An Anthology

Produced by Native Realities (Tribal Force, Tales of the Might Code Talkers, The Wool of Jonesy, DemiCon) and co-edited by Elizabeth LaPensée (Honour Water, Sequential Survivance, Indigenous Love) & Weshoyot Alvitre (Umbrella Academy, Little Nemo: Dream Another Dream, Native American Graphic Classics), DEER WOMAN: AN ANTHOLOGY brings together more than a dozen Native and I ...more
Published December 2017 by Native Realities Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Deer Woman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Deer Woman

Start your review of Deer Woman: An Anthology
Jack Stark
Jul 12, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: comic, fantasy
This is an anthology of comics that centre around the deer woman legend. Some stories are about the violence and assault Native American women can be victims of. An opening statement makes the claim, 'One in three Native women are sexually assaulted in their lifetimes.' I can't find anything to corroborate that statistic, but after spending some time reading through reports etc on this subject, that number would not surprise me.

Some of the artwork looked like it was from people that are still m
Elliot
Jun 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Rating anthologies is difficult - there are almost always going to be some pieces that stand out ahead of the crowd, and some that fall a little flat. Overall, however, this was a really good collection. This anthology collects stories from a wide range of indigenous authors and illustrators (I think all women, but I don't want to assume). These stories center around the Deer Woman, and by extension the abuse that many indigenous people, especially women, face. This book is a gut punch, but it's ...more
Shomeret
This is a graphic anthology with the contents contributed by Native American women dealing with the issue of abuse. It's also edited and published by Native Americans.

I didn't love everything in this anthology, but I liked "Dog Woman" by Barbara Kenmille which is about a woman who gives dogs to women who have been victimized if she feels they need them. I also very much liked the illustrated poem "To Dress in Red" by Weyshoyot Alvitre. The poem is moving and the art enhanced it.
Adele
May 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
I liked this very much. Some notes on some of the individual entries in the anthology:

Deer Woman: A Vignette - darker and more unflinching than I expected. The art does not particularly appeal to me, but worked for the story.

Equilibrium - absolutely gorgeous. I went back several times to linger over the pictures in this gallery.

Wives - one basic, simple metaphor, but the symbolism worked for me and I liked the ending.

Las Aunties - this may be my favorite piece. More an illustrated story than a c
Mindi Welton-Mitchell
Feb 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic collection! I was glad to back this as a Kickstarter. A must-read for Native Women voices, though it is hard and disturbing at times. There are some beautiful stories contained in these pages.
Yuna
Mar 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: anthology
Nice variety of art styles and versions of the Deer Woman story. My only complaint is that the typeface could be difficult to read for some stories due to font style and/or the color of the background. This would be a challenging read for someone with low vision.
Katie Young
Nov 19, 2018 rated it liked it
Such a worthy, important collection!
Karl
Feb 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
I love indigenous graphic novels and storytelling. I am very happy to have supported this book on Kickstarter.

Deer Woman collects a wide range of voices and artistic styles in this beautiful volume. My favourite contributions include pieces by: Jackie Fawn, Maria Wolf Lopez, and Weshoyot Alvitre.

Published by Native Realities. This volume fits nicely into my collection alongside Moonshot Vol. 1 and 2.
Rod Brown
May 13, 2018 rated it liked it
I generally prefer more polished work, but the rawness to the pieces in this anthology help communicate the primal anger and righteous outrage over the treatment of Native American women. It is important that a book like this exists, and I hope to see more like it in the future.

I do wish that a book that sports five editors and assistant editors would have had better proofreading though.
Lindsay
Jun 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I think I first was introduced to Deer Woman through Louise Erdrich's The Antelope Wife, and after this, I am so solidly a fan of Deer Woman. Powerful short stories here--I was brought to tears by a few. I want more. ...more
Mills College Library
Fiction D312 2017
I.
Nov 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
So good, and also a critically important anthology. #mmiw
Tyler Kroon
Apr 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful, haunting anthology of comics, art, and short stories, all by Native women, depicting the myriad of issues they regularly face, including a staggering amount of abuse and sexual assault. I especially love the Deer Woman figure, part woman, part deer, who rescues abused women by trampling and killing their abusers with her hooves. I look forward to seeing more work from LaPensée and the rest of the contributors, and learning more about the Arming Sisters organization!

TW: abuse, sexual
Renea S
Sep 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I read this anthology about a week ago and it has taken me this long to really digest and process these stories. They were stark, disturbing and uplifting as well. This is not your typical graphic novel.
Jessica
“In the world we live in, the stronger your tía network is, the better your chances at survival are.” —“Las Aunties”
Erin

• The Baker Street Four, Vol. 4
  • The Baker Street Four, Vol. 3
  • The Baker Street Four, Vol. 1
  • The Baker Street Four, Vol. 2
  • Ink in Water: An Illustrated Memoir (Or, How I Kicked Anorexia’s Ass and Embraced Body Positivity)
  • Zin! Zin! Zin! A Violin
  • The Deep
  • Perfectly Norman
  • True Tales of Life & Death at Fort Adams
  • Heartbreak Soup (Luba and Palomar, #1)
  • Peaceful Fights for Equal Rights
  • Little Knife (Grishaverse, #2.6)
  • The Too-Clever Fox (Grishaverse, #2.5)
  • Fierce Femmes and Notorious Liars
  • The Witch of Duva (Grishaverse, #0.5)

Articles featuring this book