Start by marking “Slave: My True Story” as Want to Read:
Slave: My True Story

Slave: My True Story (Slave/Freedom #1)

4.29  ·  Rating details ·  6,179 Ratings  ·  498 Reviews

Mende was sold to a wealthy Arab family who lived in Sudan's capital city, Khartoum. So began her dark years of enslavement. Her Ar
Published January 7th 2004 by PublicAffairs (first published 2002)

Gary
Jan 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A harrowing and extremely eye-opening true life story of a childhood stolen by modern slavery which is still pervasive in North Africa and the Middle East. Mende Nazer lived a rural, happy childhood in a village Nuba Mountains in Sudan. At the age of twelve she was kidnapped by marauding Arab raiders, who put the men of her village to death, raped the woman and captured the children into slavery. She was raped by the Arab slavers and then sold in Khartoum to a cruel Arab family. There she was be ...more
Grant
Aug 07, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: feminism, issues
This was a very difficult, though very worthwhile, book to read. It took me many, many, months to get through because the subject is so intense and often extremely disturbing.

That said, I am grateful for what Nazer has shared in this work. It was truly an eye opener. There remains much injustice in the world and books like this can help us to reveal those injustices so that we can take action to end them.
Jo
Jan 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An amazing book. Everyone should read this book! We live in a country of great freedom that we take for granted. My heart goes out to Mende.
Magdelanye
Sep 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone, especially the guilty
Recommended to Magdelanye by: cover
Something about the dignity and courage of Mende Nazar as she recounts her appalling story grabs hold of your heart, allowing you to read on when it is almost unbearable.
Mende is calm and unflinching as she simply recounts the events that shattered her world,a remote Nubian village in the Sudan. She gives a vivid description of her community and her life as an adored and coddled child of a loving family. This comes to an abrubt and violent end when the village is attacked and burned by Arab rai
Paul
Nov 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Most of us think of slavery as something in the past. A subject relagted to history books and a subject that most find difficult to come to terms with. How could some one own another. But as i was about to find out with this book it is a trade that is still alive and flourishing. Unlike most storeys of slavery this one come streight from the source. Mende was captured a held as a slave for so long she did not believed she would every feel what freedom was like again.

The book starts us of with
Rose
Aug 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
had to read this for a class and i really enjoyed it.

mende's story is powerful and her quiet strength is admirable in every way. even after everything she was going through she was always kind to those around her.
Keren Threlfall
Dec 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011-reading
Slave is the true story of Mende Nazer, a Sudanese woman whose childhood ended when she was captured and enslaved around age 12. One thing that made Mende’s story particularly stand out to me is that we are about the same age. Her slavery did not take place in the huts and villages of Sudan, but in the relatively modern city of Khartoum, where her well-to-do captors had most of the modern conveniences that we do (electricity, washer/dryer, stove/oven, etc).

In this book, Mende recounts the story
Signe
Dec 06, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had trouble putting this book down when at first I started. It is the incredibly gruesome story of Mende, who's abducted by raiders as a 12 year old and sold into slavery to a cruel, inhuman woman, who does her level best to break the spirit of Mende. However, there's always enough human kindness around for Mende not to lose her sense of her own humanity completely, and in the end she escapes with the help of strangers.
Every page of the book is alive with Mende's simple and vibrant way of tell
Jan 02, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kirja, joka kaikkien pitäisi lukea pitääkseen silmänsä auki tässä maailmassa.
Tanya Patrice
Feb 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a book - I cried and my heart broke. The language of the book is easy and simplistic. The story is told, with no literary embellishments and in the author's own voice - she is not a writer and so there is a matter of fact style (it was told to Damien Lewis, a journalist who helped Mende during her escape and who penned the book, but I'm glad he kept it simple). The book has 2 halves. The first is about Mende's life growing up in a small village in the Nuba mountains of Sudan; and then life ...more
Madison Mega-Mara...: slave 1 3 Apr 29, 2012 04:33PM
  • Burned Alive
  • 28: Stories of AIDS in Africa
  • Between Two Worlds: Escape from Tyranny: Growing Up in the Shadow of Saddam
  • A Thousand Sisters: My Journey into the Worst Place on Earth to Be a Woman
  • They Poured Fire on Us From the Sky: The True Story of Three Lost Boys from Sudan
  • Africa's World War: Congo, the Rwandan Genocide, and the Making of a Continental Catastrophe
  • Born in the Big Rains: A Memoir of Somalia and Survival
  • They Fight Like Soldiers, They Die Like Children: The Global Quest to Eradicate the Use of Child Soldiers
  • Darfur Diaries: Stories of Survival
  • Machete Season: The Killers in Rwanda Speak
”Mende Nazer lost her childhood at age twelve, when she was sold into slavery. It all began one horrific night in 1993, when Arab raiders swept through her Nuba village, murdering the adults and rounding up thirty-one children, including Mende.

Mende was sold to a wealthy Arab family who lived in Sudan’s capital city, Khartoum. So began her dark years of enslavement. Her Arab owners called her “Yeb
More about Mende Nazer...

Slave/Freedom (2 books)
  • Freedom: The Sequel to Slave
“I have realized that for those who live in the West, freedom is so often something they take for granted. It has always been there for them. It is their unnoticed, unrecognized, constant companion and friend. But for those of us who come from countries like Sudan, freedom is wonderful and precious.” 18 likes