Start by marking “Was du niemals tun solltest, wenn du unsichtbar bist” as Want to Read:
Was du niemals tun solltest, wenn du unsichtbar bist

Was du niemals tun solltest, wenn du unsichtbar bist

Eigentlich wollte Esther nur etwas gegen ihre vielen Pickel unternehmen. Stattdessen wird sie – nach der Einnahme eines dubiosen chinesischen Tranks aus dem Internet und einem ausgiebigen Nickerchen auf einer uralten Sonnenbank – plötzlich unsichtbar! Für andere ein Herzenswunsch, für Esther der absolute Albtraum.
Doch dann überschlagen sich die Ereignisse und Esther erken
Published 2018 by Coppenrath Verlag

Aditi
“I don't need a cloak to become invisible.”

----J.K. Rowling

Ross Welford, an English author, has penned a thoroughly entertaining and extremely exciting middle grade fiction, What Not to Do If You Turn Invisible that revolves around a 12 year old girl who in order to cure her severe acne problem and to save herself from bullying in her school, she discreetly purchases an untested and unknown Chinese medicine that she tries it on her with the strong UV rays of a sunbed, resulting in invisibilit
Figgy
Sweet, uplifting, though with some deeper questions than might be suggested in the blurb.
Certain things were predictable to this definitely-not-a-middle-grader, but would likely be more on point for the target group.

Review to come.
Alice
Oct 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I bought this after thoroughly enjoying Telford's 'Time Traveling With a Hamster' a few months back. It's CUTE. This book, while different from TTWAH, keeps that particular sense of warmth and adventure that is Telford's signature storytelling.

I would have enjoyed this anywhere from 7 upwards, if you're thinking of reading this to your sproglets. <3
María P.
Nov 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Todo lo que no debes hacer cuando seas invisible es el segundo libro que leo del autor Ross Welford, y al igual que el primero (Viaje en el tiempo con un hámster), me ha encantado. Este autor parece tener una cierta afinidad por tratar el tema de la pérdida de familiares y la búsqueda de uno mismo, que es fundamentalmente sobre lo que trata este libro, además de tratar el tema de la amistad y la generosidad. Está enfocado principalmente a edades entre los 12 y los 14 años, pero al igual que su a ...more
Les McFarlane
A good book that I can recommend to the children at school. It's a great adventure but the relationships are what sing out of this book. How families work...or don't. How friendships blossom or fracture.
Karen Barber
May 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Having loved Time Travelling With A Hamster I was looking forward to this one.
Ethel lives with her grandmother as her mother is dead, and she knows nothing of her father. She has such severe acne that she resorts to online purchases from China. This ointment, unfortunately, plays a large part in the trouble she gets into during the course of the story when she becomes invisible.
There's some lovely comic scenes where Ethel attempts to help someone out while she is invisible There's an endearing q
Bruce Gargoyle
I received a copy of this title from HarperCollins Australia for review.

Ten Second Synopsis:
Ethel lives with her grandmother, is plagued by terrible acne and has become the unwilling friend of new boy Elliot (Smelliot) from London. When Ethel discovers she has the ability to become invisible via her new skin treatment and the generous application of UV light, her life suddenly becomes a lot more complicated.

If you are looking for a story with charming characters, a solid friendship and some shen
Renee
Nov 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya-lit
I raced through this read, partly because of a deadline, but mostly because I wanted to know what was going to happen next. Love the plot and the style it's written in and my head is swirling with ideas for how this book can be discussed with my bunch of kids next year.

Lots of fodder to discuss coming-of-age themes for a P6/Grade 6 class from acne to relationship and personal identities.
Allie
My 11 year old son's rating: 5 stars
My 5 year old son's rating: 30 out of 30 (go figure)
My 16 year old son's rating: 3 stars

I'm leaning towards 3 stars. Maybe 3.5. It seemed a bit too long, so I guess that means it was slow in some parts.
S.J. Higbee
Dec 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The blurb makes the whole process of becoming invisible sound far more controlled and straightforward than it actually is – which for me was one of the main selling points of this beguiling, funny book. All too often fantasy or paranormal books for children tip them into situations that would have most of us hiding under the duvet armed with a strong glass of gin and prosac – only for said children to accept the whole process without so much as a blink. While children may well be a great deal mo ...more
Katy Noyes
Dec 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Two out of two hits for Ross Welford. Intelligent, genuinely funny and warm writing for a young audience.

Like his first, this doesn't dumb down the science for children/young people, and faces issues head on. In 'Time Travelling with a Hamster' he braved the subject of a parent's death. Here is it the angst of adolescent acne, a dead mother and even dementia.

Ethel Leatherhead wishes she wasn't so noticeable - her acne has lately made her a target for bullies, her friends have found new cliques,
Zel Polev
Rosie
Dec 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Alright, I'm going to start this by saying that this review moght not be very helpful. It's certainly long, but whether everything's equally relevant lr not remains up for debate. I've not got much experience in writing reviews, and after reading Time Travelling with a Hamster (also by Ross Welford) I am most definitely biased. That said, I want to help people and I also want to tell people my opinion(s) on it. Preferably to more than one person. (I tried that, and my friend suddenly received 52 ...more
Ms. Yingling
Nov 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Public library copy

Ethel suffers from acute acne, and students at her school are not particularly nice about it, especially the evil Knight twins. They are even mean to Boyd, a new boy from London who makes friends at school right away by backing the wrong soccer team. Boyd has helped her move a free tanning bed to her garage, and is now presuming they are friends. After Ethel drinks some mail order herbal tea for her acne and sits too long in the tanning bed, she really needs a friend, because
Alex Peachman
Jun 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
You might think turning invisible every so often would be brilliant. But Ethel, the heroine of this unusual, funny book soon realises that it's got its downsides - for example, if you really don't want anyone to see you, you can't be wearing any clothes. There are some great characters and very funny moments in this book. The ending was a bit too 'happy' for me, but see what you think!
Ella
Nov 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Okay, so I am only part way through this book, but WOW! I really love the author's writing style and the way she portrays the main character, Ethel, is so relatable and funny. Even though I think the book is aimed at 10+ children, I am really enjoying this easy and lighthearted book for a change.
BMW
Oct 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ethel leather head is a clever and funny character who engages you throughout the book. It’s funny and clever, yet still covers down to earth problems.
Jo Furniss
Mar 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-folk
Amaze

This book is amazing! A bit confusing at times, but very addictive! I read this in one night, and missed 3 hours of sleep!
15TindallL
this book was really imaginative and had a really good story line. as well as Ethel (main character) turning invisible, she also learns who she really is.
Caroline
Feb 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book. I loved how the author wrote it and the ending was so good. I loved how there were a lot of unexpected events that came up.
16BlandfordI
Jul 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fantastic book full of surprises that come along the way, I would definitely recommend this book to anyone aged 10 and above.I really loved this book because of all the adventure that lies ahead.I think anyone looking for an exciting book that is impossible to put down once you start reading it will love it too! I enjoyed this book from the moment I began it to the moment I finished it! This book is a definite must - read!
Whispering Words...
Ross Welford is fast becoming one of my favourite authors - although I may be a little biased. Being a Geordie myself, its pretty awesome to read a book set not only in Newcastle, but around the coast of Whitely Bay where I grew up. However what captured me most about this book was how the story seamlessly merges reality with a dash of science fiction. Funny, relatable and with an underlining family mystery, What not to do if you turn invisible was a real page turner.

When thirteen-year-old Ethel
Hayley
Feb 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this in one sitting and loved it as much (maybe even more) than TTWaH. Possibly not suitable for the 9+, recommended on the back cover, as there are drug and alcohol references. However, it covered a range of subjects including family and magic and I loved reading it. Can't wait for Ross Wellford's next book.
Theediscerning
Dec 31, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A second very enjoyable mixture of the mundane and the magical from this author, which is superior to his first, if quite similar in approach and location. Here we have a girl who uses some potion to remove her horrendous zits, and a free sunbed (don't ask), which combine and make her invisible. Once more the science in the book has to be avoided for the sake of the drama, but boy – it really is some drama, and the joy in finding out this is not just a rewrite of the usual tween 'oh, nobody unde ...more
Johannes • 17
Feb 18, 2018 rated it really liked it

Als ich die unendlichen Weiten der Verlagsprogramme mit meinem fachmännischen Blick durchstreifte, stach mir allein schon wegen der hervorragenden Optik das Buch „Was du niemals tun solltest, wenn du unsichtbar bist“ des neuen Sterns am Himmel der britischen Kinderbuchautoren, Ross Welford, ins Auge. Ob sich dieses Buch denn wirklich lohnt, das erfahrt ihr in der folgenden Rezension.

Worum geht’s?

Rene Bote
Oct 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Klappentext:
Doch dann überschlagen sich die Ereignisse und Esther erkennt: Nur wenn sie sich in dieses unfassbare Abenteuer stürzt, kann sie sich endlich gegen die miesen Knight-Zwillin
Bücherschmöker Blog
Feb 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Auf den ersten Blick ist Was du niemals tun solltest, wenn du unsichtbar bist schon ein echter Hingucker. Die aufwendige Gestaltung und der blaue Buchschnitt sind richtig schön, aber auch der Inhalt hält eine wunderbare Geschichte bereit, die auf jeden Fall keinem 0815-Buch entspricht.

Die Ideen im Buch sind super außergewöhnliche und prägen den gesamten Geschichstsverlauf, geben dem Buch dadurch aber auch das besondere Etwas, was einem einfach im Gedächtnis bleibt. Noch dazu geht die Geschichte
Barbara
After using some Chinese herbs combined with time in a tanning booth in a desperate attempt to cure her severe acne, twelve-year-old Ethel Leatherhead realizes that the cure is making her turn invisible. While that might be fun in some respects, it leads her through a series of wild rides during the school talent show and afterward when she and her best friend Boydy slip into the house of two classmates in order to get rid of the evidence of her invisibility. Boydy is obsessed with a local light ...more
Jo
May 20, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the type of book I would have loved to read when I was in high school; it's funny, it's original and it's really engaging.
As someone who suffered with terrible acne in school, I immediately felt an affinity with Ethel. An only-child, living with her Nan, and having very few friends, established her as a bit of an underdog, often on the fringes of things in school, and what teen doesn't feel like this at some point? So watching her team up with Boydy, an equally isolated character, was c
Alka
Jun 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Written in a language easily understandable by a 10-year old kid (if they can read) or even younger (if you want to tell it as a bedtime story), it is just perfect. How one becomes invisible, well the book doesn't touch upon that. But hey, even Harry Potter had invisibility cloak, but did we question the fantasy world. Here, the reference is at least to some unknown scientific experiment. Sample this for an instance (written in my own words): we close our eyes and our visibility goes away becaus ...more
  • Broken Branch Falls
  • Wed Wabbit
  • The Birth of Kitaro
  • Billy Lovecraft Saves the World
  • How to Navigate Zombie Cave and Defeat Pirate Pete (Slug Pie Story, #1)
  • How to Outsmart a Billion Robot Bees
  • The Ratastrophe Catastrophe (The Illmoor Chronicles, #1)
  • The Case of the Blue Violet (Murder Most Unladylike Mysteries, #3.5)
  • TaleSpins