Start by marking “Carnal Beginnings (Carnal Series #1)” as Want to Read:
Carnal Beginnings (Carnal Series #1)

Carnal Beginnings

(Carnal #1)

Librarian Note: This is the latest edition with updated and high definition cover from ASIN B0794WXST4

Revenge is a confession of pain which we seek to excise through action.

Adara’s enigmatic and sexy boss asks a simple question.
“How will you celebrate your twenty-first birthday?”

Adara’s plan to escape the lie she’s lived since her parents’ death is so close she can i
Published February 5th 2018 (first published December 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Carnal Beginnings, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Carnal Beginnings

Siobhan
Dec 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Carnal Beginnings is the first book in the Carnal series, although it was not the first one I read. Whilst this influenced my knowledge somewhat, it failed to lessen my enjoyment of the story. As with the two other books in the series that I have read, this one was a brilliant read.

This first book is a brilliant introduction to the brothers we follow throughout the series. We get to know them, we get to know their world, and yet we’re still left with enough curiosities to ensure we will want to
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
GlitterKink Gateway to BDSM Book

Kinky plus sexy boss, add in an exclusive BDSM club makes a recipe for glorious GlitterKink. Ms. Garrett is a new to me author and she doesn't disappoint in delivering a romantic kinky story. Adara is a female in a hopeless situation. Orphaned and living with her sadistic uncle and disgusting cousin, she sublimates her creativity and dreams in order to focus all her energies on survival. She is smart enough to find employment in a private investigation firm to lea
Aղցela W.
This book was given to me for an honest review. I love reading dark erotic BDSM and while this book was not as dark I like I found this book to be good. Adara is a twenty year working as an assistant to a P.I. Julian. Julien Crofton is an ex-special forces private investigator. Julien helps abused woman besides is normal job and a private investigator. He seems specially attuned to seeing signs of abuse. He knows that it is something going on with the shy young woman she trips all of his protect ...more
Book-Lovin-Momma
Mar 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
From the time Julien first interviews Adara for her job, he already knows there's something special about her. Little did he know, there was so much more to Adara's story. I felt for her, losing her parents and then being subjected to the abuse she suffered made her skittish and unsure. Julien slowly pieced together the puzzle that was Adara, all the while fighting his feelings. There is BDSM involved, and it's sensual and emotional. At times I wanted a little more to the scenes, but they did co ...more
Izney
Nov 09, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Review Posted @ Barely BAE Blog

*ARC Provided for an Honest Review*

This book has brought out a lot of emotions inside me. When I first saw the book and read its description I was like, this should be good then I received an ARC and I was like, can I really read this? Can I take it? And while I was already on it I was like reading it for a marathon. I don't know if I was excited to get to the final end of the book or it's because I was so intrigued by it that I just can't stop myself wanting to kn
Eva Millien
Nov 27, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The subtle signs of his assistant’s ongoing abuse has tied ex-Special Forces private investigator Julien Crofton is knots for months and when he finally cracks that invisible suit of armor, he finds he must step up his game to keep her safe from her sadistic family and a sociopathic killer in this thrilling romantic suspense.

Adara’s finally has the chance of freedom from her personal hell but she’ll have to trust Julien with her safety and her heart and the reader can’t help but get pulled into
Jennifer Pierson
Nov 09, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first book I have read by Reily Garrett, and it won't be my last! I really enjoyed it.

Julian Crofton is an ex Special Forces agent turned private investigator. He hired Adara 6 months before, and her signs of abuse have turned him upside down since. He's tried to get her to open up, but she's locked up like a vault. His history of not being able to save a woman has him determined to help Adara no matter what. Adara refuses to let any man close to her, as all she's known is pain from
Cocktails and Books
Adara is turning twenty-one and while she is a legal adult, she is still under the thumb of her Uncle and cousin. Adare has spent a number of years at the hands of her abusive Uncle to the point she does not even try to break free while she longs to escape. She has a plan that really is not thought out and planned well. It takes Julien for her to gain the courage she needs to break free.

Julie Barrett
Oct 19, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Carnal Beginnings is a suspenseful, intriguing story that succeeded in keeping my attention right until the last page. The heroine has suffered awful abuse from her family, and I think the author deals with this sensitively and fairly realistically. The BDSM scenes are well written and appear authentic - they are also very hot!

Julien is a private investigator who felt like he failed after he was too late to help save an abused woman. Since then he's tried to help other women, including his emplo
Mollien Fote Osterman
Nov 10, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bdsm, erotic
Review
4 New Beginnings

As Adara approaches her 21st birthday, her plans of starting a new life away from her abusive uncle and cousin are within her reach. Her plans of running away are side tracked however when her sexy boss Julian realizes that she is hiding more than her body under her baggy cloths.
This is an action packed story that will keep you on the edge of your seat. Warning there is sexual and physical abuse in this story plus descriptive violence,
Andara was given to the care of her
Courtney Haas
Feb 20, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enter a world, much like ours, where troubled characters struggle to redeem themselves. Garrett creates intense, realistic characters and places them into a popular storyline. The sexy and controversial topic of BDSM is deeply explored in this novel (no pun intended).

Julien, is a handsome young business man who leads a private investigation company with his bantering brothers. He has regrets from the past and when similar issues rise up in his future, he feels like maybe he can fix them.

When J
Crystal Yawn
Apr 01, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This debuet novel for Reily Garrett is not my normal style of reading. It touches on very dark matters such as long term abuse and stalking.
I liked the characters. I could feel the bond between Adara and Julien and the bond of brothers.
A very dark plot with an introduction to BDSM .

Plot spoilers

I think the time line of trust is a bit rushed. I have trouble believing someone as abused as Adara would easily succumb to the strong voice of her boss and follow his commands from the very first night.
Julie Baswell
Feb 20, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Julien knows the telltale signs of abuse, and he sees them all in Adara, his assistant. He didn’t know that Adara had taken this job at his private investigation firm to learn all she could about disappearing forever. Being tortured for the last 6 years by her uncle and his son, all she cared about was gaining her freedom. When Julien witnesses one of Adara’s former co-workers physically harassing her, he decides to take her under his wing and desensitize her in order to overcome her demons and ...more
L.A. Taylor

So I was given a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Now I don't know if it's because I was in a weird mind set when I read this, or because my last few books before this were so different but, I could not get into this book.

I tried to read this book on more than one occasion but I could not get more than a few chapters in. And what I did read had me rolling my eyes.

This is the first book this year I have been unable to finish.

And though this is the first book I have read by this
Elizabeth (Stuffed Shelves)
Adara's had a hard childhood, and she's just starting to gain her independence. Her Uncle and Cousin might have a different opinion on the subject. What must happen for her to finally take her step out of the abuse she endures, into the real world where pain isn't the norm.

For Adara, the push she needs comes from Julien. He's a private investigator, amongst other set skills he has gained in life. He is her motivation, her rock, and her escape.

I really enjoyed reading this book. There was enough
Nyx C
Oct 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A slow step into the world of BDSM, Carnal Beginnings will lead you through a whirlwind of emotions. From anger to love, fear to laughter, this story shows a young lady led into the BDSM world in a way truly befitting the culture. Complete with dark secrets, murderous intent, and a man so irresistibly intelligent and sweet that you’ll be left impatiently awaiting the next book, Reily Garrett has discovered the power of leaving her readers wanting more. Unlike other books that have tried to depic ...more
Deborah Camp
Sep 09, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Chock full of plot elements, this book has suspense, romance, BDSM, Dom/sub, and stalkers! It's almost too much. I did keep wishing the heroine and hero both sought professional counseling -- especially her -- since they had been through such trauma and were obviously scarred from it. I felt that she should definitely talk to a psychiatrist before embarking on a Dom/sub relationship. However, aside from that, the plot moved briskly and the characters were interesting. The heroine was very innoce ...more
Keri
* Received ARC in exchange for an honest review. *
Julien works as a private investigator with his three brothers. He has had an eye on Adara since the day he hired her. Julien knows that something is going on with Adara's life, he's just not sure what.

Adara is fragile, quiet, and keeps to herself. Her life has been terrible since her parents died when she was 15 years old. Adara is anxiously waiting for her 21st birthday so she can be free of the monsters and hide her existence from the world.
Jodie
Jul 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful read
Review copy provided via Reading Alley in exchange for an honest review.
I really loved this book, it took me on a wild ride of emotions.
I loved how with Julien’s help Adara started to come out of her shell and become the strong women she was meant to be. At times it was difficult to read what Adara went through but it made it all worth it at the end when she was able to move on with her life and still be able to find joy.
A wonderful read, I would definitely recommenced this book!
She Hearts Books
Adara has been abused by her uncle and cousin for many years. She gets some freedom when she takes a job as Julien's assistant. He figures out that she is in danger and comes to her rescue. He takes her under his wing and becomes her protector and lover. He helps her overcome her issues and slowly introduces her to his lifestyle. I just loved Julien. He was sweet and supportive. Adara became his and they were scorching hot together. I so enjoyed their story.

I give Carnal Beginnings 4 hearts!
Lewlin
Jul 03, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I received an arc copy of this book for an honest review.

I must say this book had potential in terms of storyline however the arc was more like a draft copy and I found the missing letters, spelling and punctuation errors too distracting to continue past the first chapter.

I hope the author gives this book to a decent Editor before it is released.

Maybe I will give this another go at a later date.
Low-La
This is my first time reading a book by Reily Garrett. I really like stories that involve family and the dynamics between siblings. This one introduces Julien who is ex military and with his brothers have formed a PI company. His assistant Adara has gotten his attention. Through a series of events Julien ends up saving and protecting her. Together they begin to heal each other. There were times I felt Adara was a bit too naive although she has been through more than any normal person could possi ...more
Mawgan Dipple
Mar 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc-reads

When I first started reading this book I found it a little wordy, but quickly came to like the style of this author's writing. From the first chapter I was loving the jovial nature between the brother's and found the quick wit of Jackie, connor's assistant must amusing. The story unfolds with dark pasts on both of the lovers sides causing issues in there present lives. I loved the strong performance julien had and the strength but fragile beauty held by adara. Great read want to see more from th
Samantha Smart
Jun 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed this book I loved the chemistry between Julien and adara... it has great detailed background story and a great build.up for the characters you really feel like you know.them. the relationship between the brothers is realistic and laugh out loud at times
I'm looking forward to the next in line and I recommend this book
Rowena
Mar 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An enjoyable start to an interesting series.

An enjoyable start to an interesting series. I loved how Julien is protective of Adara and their heat level slowly builds as he is able to get her to trust him. The BSDM and suspense factor made this a story worth reading. This was my first read by the author and it did not disappoint. Can’t wait to read Jake’s story.
Tanis Owen
Apr 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Enjoyed these (book 1 and 2) for the most part. I'm not going to say why I didn't cause it will be giving away certain parts of the story. It's steamy and she tries to keep you guessing. Give it a try if you like BDSM.
Teresa
Apr 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great Book!

Great book that has enough going on to keep your attention. The story and characters are well developed in this book to continue the series. I'm looking forward to book 2.
Lisa Roberts
Mar 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was beautifully written with wonderful characters and storyline that kept me turning pages leaving you wanting more, with loads of suspense, angst and emotions at all the ugly parts and make room for some good and lets not forget the sexy parts which were hot.
Julie Sherman
Mar 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good start.

This was a good start to a new series. I did like the story line but felt in could have given a little bit more sustenance to each character. I do look forward to the next one.
Brande Courtright bradford
Well written

Honestly it took me a couple of chapters to get into this book but then it got really good. Got a damaged h, an alpha military type H and throw in some BDSM and you have a great story. Also has a little mystery thrown in for good measure.
Though her kids are her life, writing is the life after. You know, the one you also enjoy…AFTER the kids are in bed or AFTER they’re in school and the house is quiet. This is the time she kicks back with laptop and lapdog to give her imagination free reign.
In life, hobbies can come and go according to our physical abilities, but you can always enjoy a good book. Life isn’t perfect, but our imagin

Carnal (4 books)
  • Carnal Innocence (Carnal Series #2)
  • Carnal Whispers: Mind Stalker (Carnal Series #3)
  • Carnal Obsession: His Heart's Prisoner (Carnal Series #4)