Start by marking “Swann's Revenge” as Want to Read:
Swann's Revenge

Swann's Revenge

Can a swan make peace with his ugly duckling past?

Chubby geek Jimmy Zebulon’s heart broke the day his high school crush, Danny Parker, looked on as his teammates tormented Jimmy. Fifteen years later, Jimmy is long gone, and from his ashes has risen Graham Swann, a movie-star-handsome law firm owner. Graham thinks Jimmy and his past are long forgotten—until attorney Dan Par
Kindle Edition, Dreamspun Desires #51, 230 pages
Published February 6th 2018 by Dreamspinner Press

To ask other readers questions about Swann's Revenge, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Swann's Revenge

* A Reader Obsessed *
4 Hearts

I am on a Dreamspun Desires tear as this is the 3rd book in a row that has pulled 4 plus hearts out of my grumpy ole gnarly self!

Not so much a vindictive revenge story, this is more about overcoming past baggage, mistakes, and fears, and of course finding love amidst such personal growth.

Graham is proud of the fact that he’s triumphed and moved far beyond the timid, insecure, and bullied teen he once was. Now he’s a very successful lawyer, fit and fabulous, and in high demand in all aspe
Sara
5 Hearts

I love reading. I have been a voracious reader for as long as I can remember and adored romance novels as my go to genre steadily since the 6th grade. But there are times in my adult life when reading and I don’t mesh and I hate it. Books have always been there when I needed them and this book, it was exactly what I needed. Where I’ve been struggling to get into every book I’ve picked up over the last month… I finished this in a day sneak reading at my desk.

The opening of this book b
Barb ~rede-2-read~
A sweet take on the Ugly Duckling tale. Jimmy Zebulon—short, chubby, gay boy—has a crush on Danny Parker—tall, athletic, straight boy. High school’s not the place to be when you are like Jimmy, who wears his heart on his sleeve. After one verbal gay-bashing too many by the football team, which includes Danny, Jimmy knows he can’t go on like this, so when his new stepfather is transferred to Tennessee, Jimmy takes on his last name and uses his own middle name, becoming J. Graham Swann. It also he ...more
Joyfully Jay
Feb 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kris
A Joyfully Jay review.

4 stars

The premise of this book intrigued me, and I knew I’d be getting an angst-light book with this story, since it’s part of the Dreamspun Desires line. Anthony delivers exactly that. But Dan and Graham have their baggage, and they are both working through it, though Dan is a bit further along in the process. They are better together than they are apart, but old hurts keep Graham from fully letting go.

What I really enjoyed about this book was that both the MCs were well
Lisa The Novel Approach
Shira Anthony has once again written another solid addition to the Dreamspun Desires line. This story follows the outline of most of the other books in this series in that it is a low angst, high on romance, character driven novel with a twist. It’s a great book for when you just need to hear about two guys falling in love and living happily ever after—a true fairy tale ugly duckling story that is quirky and interesting and sweet.

Jimmy Zebulon had it rough in high school. A band geek with an acn
Jodi Ciorciari-marinich
This is a story we have all ready before but the twist Shira has put on this tale is so worth the read....
The overweight geek is secretly in love with the high school quarterback but of course the feelings aren't returned. Jimmy is tormented in high school by the football team and Dan goes along with it. Fast forward 15 years and we have a new Jimmy who left the town he grew up in when his mom got remarried and Graham was born. Graham is nothing like Jimmy was he has transformed himself into a g
The TBR Pile *Book review site*
Dan is a new hire for the company Graham co-owns and the sparks fly despite Graham’s cool treatment of Dan. Swann’s Revenge is a bit of a slow burner.—The romance takes its time developing despite the fact both men wanted to get involved with each other. I think given their past it was appropriate. http://thetbrpile.weebly.com/reviews/...
Sandra
4.5 stars.

This book uses the Ugly Duckling to Beautiful Swan trope, with a bit of a twist.

When Jimmy Zebulon was 15, he was a bit of a band geek and a little on the short and chubby side, in love with Danny Parker, the hot and straight football player, who unknowingly broke Jimmy's heart when he stood idly by, allowing his teammates to reduce Jimmy to snot and tears with their torment and taunts.

Fifteen years have since passed and Jimmy is now J. Graham Swann, successfully attorney and co-owner
WycEd Reader
Feb 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Check out our Swann's Revenge post on Wicked Reads.

Reviews by the Wicked Reads Review Team

Sarah – ☆☆☆☆
This story has all the good feels I’ve come to expect from the Dreamspun Desires books. It’s a low angst, low heat romance that is full of emotion. In proper Harlequin tradition, Graham Swann is a perfect leading man. He’s a wealthy lawyer with a few secrets and a difficult childhood. Dan is an equally brilliant leading man. The widowed single father is a kind man who works alongside Graham.
Natosha Wilson
Jan 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is such a good read. What do you do when the most popular boy in school is also the quarterback of the football team and you are secretly in love with him? Even worse what happens to gay person when the popular boy and quarterback of the football team could stop all the bullying and the taunting buthe doesn't?

This is a book about growing up and trying to forget the person that you was only to become someone better in the end? Problem is when you do not deal with the hurt and pain from the p
Feb 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was given a copy of this book to read and review for Wicked Reads.

This story has all the good feels I’ve come to expect from the Dreamspun Desires books. It’s a low angst, low heat romance that is full of emotion. In proper Harlequin tradition, Graham Swann is a perfect leading man. He’s a wealthy lawyer with a few secrets and a difficult childhood. Dan is an equally brilliant leading man. The widdowed single father is a kind man who works alongside Graham.

In some ways, this is a second chanc
Anke
Mar 04, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The blurb was interesting enough, so I thought I give it a try. Sorry to say, overall it was quite boring.
Mateo
Feb 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good book i read in one time. the drama part was a little too dramatic. But at the end i liked it.
Love Bytes Reviews
Reviewed by Kimberly

This is book #51 in this franchise and it was okay. It wasn’t poorly written at all; quite the opposite in fact. The characters and dialog were nicely done so no problems there. It was just…this is an old trope has been done quite a few times and it leaves you wondering if maybe it’s been done too much?

I can definitely see where the author tried to put a fresh spin on it that would make it stand out but I think this is one trope where that is simply not possible. This book ma
Heather Martin
Feb 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
*Copy provided to Bayou Book Junkie by DreamSpinner Press for my reading pleasure in hopes of an unbiased opinion, a review was not a requirement.*

Swann’s Revenge is the story of an ugly duckling. This story starts out with Jimmy in high school, on the worst day of his life. Then Jimmy’s life changes, he moves, grows up and becomes Graham Swann. He’s a cutthroat attorney, who has no interest in relationships of any kind. After the death of his stepdad and mom, he’s alone in the world and keeps e
Cathy Brockman
Graham has a secret past that he wants to keep hidden. He is no longer the geeky, fat, pimply faced boy that was picked on in high school. He is now trim due to his marathons, triathlons, and training. He is a successful attorney with his own growing practice. When he meets dan at a triathlon there is a niggling of familiarity but he can't place it. Then he finds out his new hire is none other than Danny Parker the football player that did nothing to help him the day he was shoved in the mud by ...more
Mike
Jul 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Low stakes, minimal conflict, sweet MCs, nice dialog.

Cat
Feb 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ugly Duckling Makes Good

I’m coming to love Shira Anthony’s take on tropes, and Swann’s Revenge is another prime example of why. The chubby high school band member loner is falling hard for the tall, handsome, popular quarterback. But one moment of extreme mortification from the bullies that plague him is the last straw, and when quarterback Danny Parker does nothing but stand by, the spell is broken, as is the spirit of Jimmy Zebulon.

This is a beautiful and fairly low angst ugly duckling stor
Kimmers of Kimmers' Erotic Book Banter
As Swann’s Revenge opens Shira Anthony takes us to a defining moment in Jimmy, AKA Grahams’s, life fifteen years earlier. One of shame as Danny, the boy he had a crush on in high school stood back and said nothing as the football team ridiculed him. In the same breath we can feel there is something more, something we don’t know about Danny as Jimmy thinks,

“He’d expected scorn, but Jimmy saw something else in Danny’s blue eyes. Pity? Sympathy?”

Fast forward and a chance meeting, no recognition,
Amy Aelleah
While for the most part the story was light and sweet, there is a problem I had. Dan constantly says/thinks that he's being patient, waiting for Graham to want to have sex with him. In one chapter Dan thinks something along the lines of 'the next step is Graham's' - which was something I liked and appreciated. But then the very next chapter, they have a conversation that leads to sex. And, honestly, I felt that NOTHING about that conversation indicated Graham was ready/wanting sex. More than any ...more
Morgan  Skye
Feb 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018, reviewed
We have a big case of “if these two guys would talk to each other all their problems could be fixed”. This is one of my huge pet peeves as a writing tool and it made me kinda crazy here.

I loved the components – geeky guy goes chic, boss/employee dynamics, fighting for the underdogs in the real world, single fatherhood, sizzling chemistry… but the main drive for the story was a Big Misunderstanding and those aren’t my favorite. At all.

Shira Anthony is a great writer, so her characters are well-de
Jane (PS)
Oct 26, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mm
This sort of trope usually works for me, but not this time. I struggled to finish the story. Partly this was because I was reading the book between other challenge books over months. However I found MC Graham (aka Jimmy) ridiculously closed off and super-pathetic with his barricading-off not just MC Dan but also his best friend. It was too extreme for me to either then believe in the romance, or enjoy the romance.
Lidia
Feb 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I liked this story very very much, it goes smooth as oil , little poetic but effective. In fact Swann's Revenge is perfect story about two young boy that suffer but that from high school bullism experience rise in two wonderful men. The merit goes all at Shira Anthony because if also the topic isn't new ,it's original and coerent, not much angst and not much misunderstanding,well write,...so as I've been telling you...perfect.
Bo
Mar 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful Slow Build Up & Explosion

Shira Anthony has a way with men, plots and words, and in this choice selection she comes through on all points.

I am not a fan of prefaces, but this one works wherein we meet Jimmy/Graham and Danny/Dan in their teen years. Fast forward to their later careers and we have an explosive, but aborted, quick hookup between strangers followed by a serendipitous crossing of the professional paths which leads to all sorts of back and fill.

There are times you want to
Becca
Sep 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a beautiful story. But some harsh realities. Life is definitely not perfect and when you are a victim of bullying it's worse. Even though this is fictional, it's nice to see there can sometimes be a happy ending. A very good book.
Michelle
Mar 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved it!!!!

Hoopla
Katy Beth Mckee
Jimmy had a life changing moment and when he got a chance to totally reinvent himself he does. Dan has his own ghost from the past. They hit it off right away but there is a lot to be navigated.
thelastaerie
The story has a good premise, but it’s a bit low on angst for my liking. Enjoyable read if not a bit too smooth sailing.
Enid
Sweetest HEA ever!
blue night
Feb 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m
Good lord, there was hardly any drama, nothing wildly implausible, and little swearing. Not my type of book, but there you go.

• Romancing the Wrong Twin (Romancing the..., #1)
  • The Cattle Baron's Bogus Boyfriend
  • Manny Get Your Guy (The Mannies, #2)
  • Tall, Dark, and Deported
  • A Full Plate
  • Trial by Fire
  • Ómorphi
  • Living Again
  • Speed Dating the Boss (Cowboys and Angels, #1)
  • Out of the Shadows
  • Ace in the Hole (Wild Cards, #1)
  • The Hockey Player's Heart (Hockey Hearts, #1)
  • Michael, Reinvented (Delta Restorations, #2)
  • Finding Mr. Wrong
  • Unstable Stud (Lexington Lovers, #1)
  • The Worst Best Man
  • Summer Son
  • Pins and Needles
Shira Anthony is a complete sucker for a happily-ever-after, and rarely reads or writes a story without one. Never a fan of instalove, Shira likes to write stories about real men with real issues making real relationships work.

In her last incarnation, Shira was a professional opera singer, performing roles in such operas as “Tosca,” “Pagliacci,” and “La Traviata,” among others. Her Blue Notes Ser