Start by marking “Away From Here” as Want to Read:
Away From Here

Away From Here

(Away From Here #1)

4.63  ·  Rating details ·  167 Ratings  ·  122 Reviews
When I was seventeen years old there were only three things that I knew for certain: I was a mixed up mixed kid, with weird hair and an unhealthy love of comics; I wanted to forget I’d ever heard the words depression and anxiety; and I was hopelessly in love with a girl named Annalise who was, in every way that you can be, a goddess. What can I say about Anna? She wasn’t t ...more
ebook, 1st Edition
Published April 24th 2018 (first published January 31st 2018)

To ask other readers questions about Away From Here, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Away From Here

Christopher Harlan
May 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Away From Here (Author Review)

This is a different one from author Christopher Harlan. And I mean that in the best possible way. Whether you’re a ‘YA reader’ or not, this book transcends Amazon categories. It’s a story about our humanity, and the struggles we all face at some point in our lives. I have to be honest, I was worried that this book was going to just be sad. Like, box of tissues sad. While there were aspects of this, it was also filled with humor, sarcasm, and ultimately hope. In shor
Lauren Lascola-Lesczynski
Feb 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
If you are looking for a great YA book...look now more. Away From Here will give you ALL the feels you need and then some. It's a great read with so much heart and soul and it's incredibly funny. If you don't immediately feel a connection to Logan I will be shocked.
His voice tells an amazing story of how he navigated his way through some of life's tougher situations...one of them being his first love. I mean we all remember our first love right? I kind of got nostalgic remembering my first love
Misti  Long
Feb 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What a wonderful YA story!!! But I don't want everyone to think it's only a YA story because its an everybody story. I knew when I was 3% in and already crying it was gonna be good.

I also knew with each turn of the page as Logan was telling about high school, his home life, his best friend Pete, and his first love Anna. I had indeed fell into the rabbit hole of this book not to be seen again until I was finished with this book. What a wonderful YA story for this author.
Shelly Reynolds
Feb 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
"Who you are isn't just acceptable and it isn't just good enough, who you are is everything."

I have put a lot of thought in to this. I mean, a great book deserves a great review, right? I only hope I can do this book justice, as it far transcends any other I have read to date. I know what you're thinking. You're thinking, "Really? Transcends any other?". Well, I'm here to tell you, without pause, that yes, it is THAT good.

The story is narrated by the adult version of our main character Logan San
Brandi
Mar 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
I can't even begin to tell you the last time I read a YA book. I'm sure I could look and it probably wasn't as long ago as I think, but I can guarantee I didn't feel this way when I finished that last YA story.

Christopher Harlan takes us to high school, but he does it in the most perfect of ways. You feel like you're there, you feel like you're walking the halls, you feel like you're in love with a girl for the first time.

And then there are the emotions and the feels and just all the things. I
Carol
Feb 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
For those of you that have read Christopher Harlan's previous books. It's different. No sex. True to heart. It will take you back to those teenage years. First love is awkward and challenging. Toss in a rough home life and some mental health issues to go along.
Logan has much as he can seems very put together guy. Or at least that is what he wants to project. Until Anna.
Anna is one emotionally closed off. Only revealing what she wants. Struggling at home.
We all have some Anna or Logan in us. Thi
Tiffany Coffman
Feb 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow, this book was like going home.
I felt like I had stepped back into the hallways of my high school and was reliving some of the best and worst times of my teenage self. We can all relate to at least one character in the story, even if you say you can't.
I don't normally read young adult books, but if Christopher writes more I'll definitely reading them.

I voluntarily read an advanced copy of this book.

Elizabeth Barnett
Feb 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book it was a perfect description of a high school experience and show how how everyone deals with mental illness differently than others and it shows that you don't know everything that goes on with a person but you can be there for them in different ways I think it's a great way to teach someone about something that some don't know how to deal with this stuff
Tammy
Feb 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Away From Here: YA story
By Christopher Harlan
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
This story is filled full of emotion.
Logan told the story as if he was talking to you directly. We visited his home life, high school and his first love Annalise.
Everyone should read this book!
Excellent story Christopher!
Anna Hay
Feb 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Away From Home…WOW! I enjoyed this book on so many different levels. I loved that it was a “love” story that isn’t mature or unrealistic for a teenaged character. The way the author laid out the ups and downs of that first love, albeit one skewed by many other issues going on inside the homes of each character, it gave a glimpse of how a teenage mind processes and understands their first love. The story, for me, was about more than the mental illness Logan’s character and Anna’s character were b ...more
Janine Fitton
Feb 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is a rollercoaster of emotions from start to finish, even though it's a YA it in no way effected the way I felt reading it. The author tapped into a range of feelings that at times left me tearful, but so glad I read it. so high praise to Christopher for trying a new genre and in my eyes smashed it!
Angela
Feb 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Heartbreakingly beautiful. It’s just a beautiful emotionally raw story that makes you want to cry. It’s a reminder that not everything has a happy ending, but it’s not always a bad thing.
Lg
Feb 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Christopher Harlan brings a beautiful book to life with all the feels in his foray into the YA genre. He tells the story of an awkward 17 year old boy, his quest to find love, be accepted, manage unfortunate circumstances at home and finish his senior of high school and to set off into the "real world".

Harlan brings a wit and almost stream of consciousness feel to the prose. His ability to move freely from speaking directly to the reader, to keeping the flow of the story makes this a unique type
Christine Frieseke-Miller
Feb 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I want to start off by saying that I haven't read Christopher Harlan before and I typically don't read young adult books, but this book called to me and I was completely blown away by the way Mr. Harlan told such a compelling story that takes place in high school. There is no sex or any sort of filler, it is just a really well-told story about all of the emotions you go through in high school.

This is a wonderful first love story that is told in such a way you can't put the story down. I remembe
Meghan Deppenschmidt
Feb 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Christopher Harlan hit the nail on the head with this one. Growing up is tough, having to deal with mental illness, broken homes, poverty, or any other situation out of the "norm" can make it even more challenging.

Away From Here is an exceptional YA novel dealing with the trials and triumphs of the relationship between two teens, Logan and Anna. Both from broken homes, each having their lives effected by mental illness. They are the 'Rocks' each other need to make it through their senior year.

"
Deb
Feb 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Yes, this is a love story...but so much more...because it is a life story!

WARNING! Do not listen to the epilogue in the car while you are driving!!!

Christopher takes us back to the time in our lives where our feelings for others are starting to evolve into more than just likes. More than even just loves. Potato.

Connecting with others, some who have parents they don’t know, and some who are still with us, but just not as parents, Logan and Anna cross paths and walk together for a time.

Christoph
Lori Shankle
Feb 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Having just finished reading this book, I had to take some time to just sit back and digest it. I would have to say that I am a member of the Kids with Sick Parents club. In having to live with a parent with psychological and emotional problems, this book really touch home in a lot of different ways. There are parts of this book that I really HAD a hard time reading. But that was in fault with me having to deal with all the memories of living "HERE" and nothing to do with the way the author wrot ...more
Katie M
Feb 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
When the dedication makes your heart hurt and eyes fill you know you are in for an emotional read. Christopher Harlan's first foray into Young Adult literature is a stunning, deeply personal work about an Earth Axis Shifting Love that changes who you are and how you look at life. Logan and Annalise's story is an important one. About the pain of dealing with an mentally ill parent and the isolation that can bring. It's about what happens when like souls recognize each other and how being with som ...more
Charlotte
Apr 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Emotional

Logan deals with a lot. He takes care of his mom, who suffers from sever depression, his dad left when he 15, so he does all the grocery shopping and household chores. He has one friend who knows his circumstances. Logan has been in love with Annalise for a year, but hasn't had the courage to speak to her. Then a group class assignment changes that. Logan and Anna get out together with 2 others to do a group project about mental illness. This is something Logan knows a lot about, but wh
Katie Sullivan
A Book For All Ages #potato

Suzanne bourgeois
Can't even begin to tell you...

This book is beyond anything I have ever read before. This is the hardest review I have ever written because I want it to be the best. Besides the usual I laughed, I cried stuff that many reviews hold, this book touched me. It reached down deep and found my soul full of memories as a teen and guilt as a parent. It was so well written. I'm out of words and rendered speechless now.
Keri Loves Books
Feb 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My first YA novel with this author and it’s my favorite of all his books. So well written. It hit on some serious topics and reminds us of our youth and those struggles. But also how special that time was and it leaves its mark.

Logan, a self-described nerd was funny, sweet, intelligent and endearing. I loved him. His struggles with his mom and her mental illness got him down at times, but he just kept on living. He was definitely an old soul.

Annalise was a troubled young woman. A very strained h
Michaela Zankl
Feb 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely incredible!!!

This book is so much more than a Young Adult Novel. Its a reflection of all of us...Our struggles, our happiness, our strength to move on from disappointments to be a stronger person. I can easily identify myself with the characters because I've been there and I still am. One thing I learned from this book is, that mental illness is nothing to be ashamed of. It lingers in all of us in one shape or form, some just struggle more than others. In the end we learn to cope with
Susan   Hubbard
Feb 15, 2018 marked it as to-read
Logan a seventeen year old officially but has had to become an adult and take on responsabilities because of circumstances in his life. He would like nothing but to be a typical teen, hanging out with friends and doing the normal things that teens do, and he is dreaming of a certain girl from school that he thinks is the most beautiful girl he’s every seen. Then one day fate throws Logan together with Annilese his dream girl. Away from here is such a tender and moving teen love story showing wha ...more
Monica Cruz
Apr 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Such a wonderfully written book!! A must read for all ages.
Ann
Feb 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is such a funny yet poignant story about two young people from dysfunctional families who fall in love.
It will make you laugh even though you feel like you could cry for Logan and Annelise.
The story is told from Logan's perspective, growing up through his awkward teenage years and how he knows from the very beginning that Annelise is the one for him.
What can I say apart from, "Potato."?
Monica Murphy
Mar 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
It has been a while since I have read a YA book. I enjoyed it, and I think the subject matter is something that most people can relate to. According to Logan (the narrator of the story), I myself am a member of the KSPC. It is extremely difficult to grow up with a family member having any sort of illness, but to try and navigate it yourself, while still being a teenager is ten times worse. And this is what this story is about.
Teri Ditchman
Feb 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A great story. Characters are written so well, they seem like they are your friends. The emotions are written so well, made me smile and cry, depending on what was going on. I know this was written from the heart by the author. Loved it! Would definitely recommend it to anyone, you will identify with some part of the story.
Danielle Brass
Feb 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This has been my favorite of Christopher’s books so far. I loved the story so much. I highlighted more quotes and passages in this book than I have in any other. Definitely a must read.
Maari
Apr 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Amazing YA story!!

Now know, this is an emotional story. It is a heart and soul, all-in, story. You're thinking, but wait, it takes place in high school. Well, no worries, Mr. Harlan drops you right there. No matter your age, because even though this is said to be YA, it is for any age group! Please don't set it aside just for that. This is such an amazing book! There is not a person that I know, that couldn't relate to this book in one way or another... Mr. Harlan is now a go-to Author. Recomme
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
With an introverted mind and a sarcastic sense of humor, Christopher Harlan has been many things throughout his life. He started life as a mixed up mixed kid, like his protagonist, Logan, in his bestselling Young Adult novel “Away From Here”, and from there he’s been everything from a culinary school student to a doctoral candidate Now he spends his days writing stories as a bestselling author. Th ...more
“She had this habit of letting me go on short rants to make my point, only to reply with a single word” 0 likes