Start by marking “The Dragon Slayer: Folktales from Latin America” as Want to Read:
The Dragon Slayer: Folktales from Latin America

The Dragon Slayer: Folktales from Latin America

How would a kitchen maid fare against a seven-headed dragon? What happens when a woman marries a mouse? And what can a young man learn from a thousand leaf cutter ants? Famed Love and Rockets creator Jaime Hernandez asks these questions and more as he transforms beloved myths into bold, stunning, and utterly contemporary comics. Guided by the classic works of F. Isabel Cam ...more
Published April 3rd 2018 by Toon Books

To ask other readers questions about The Dragon Slayer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dragon Slayer

Melki
Here's the cover:

description

Hernandez presents three fairy tales from Latin America, done in graphic novel format, and aimed at middle-grade readers. Kudos to the author for making young girls the protagonists in the first two stories. The artwork is . . . serviceable . . . but nothing special. I would have preferred something a little more ornate and flowery.
Nicola Mansfield
Apr 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Three Latino folktales that are a lot of fun. They follow traditional patterns of three sons or daughters and repetition. The first two stories have a female hero. Both the front and end contain further information on the tales which puts them into historical and cultural context. Cute cartoon illustrations make this an overall great read.
Amanda
Jan 07, 2019 rated it liked it
A diverse choice for the Bluebonnet books 2019-2020, but I felt some of the stories might be a bit much for 3rd graders. #weneeddiversebooks Overall I did enjoy it, but graphic novels aren’t my favorite by far.
Kendra
Interesting stories. I've never read any folktales from Latin America. The preface and end notes are very feminist focused.
Abby
Mar 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Quirky, fun and fast read
Stephanie Tournas
Three folktales from Latin America are rendered into graphic novel form is this attractive addition to the Toon library. Included are "The Dragon Slayer," a classic tale of a youngest sister who must be strong and clever to survive; "Martina Martínez and Pérez the Mouse," by Alma Flor Ada, about a young woman whose husband, a rat, falls into the soup, and his eventual rescue; and "Tup and the Ants," about a lazy youngest son who ends up being the luckiest son of all. I like that the book is imbu ...more
Robin
Mar 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Really well done comic version of three Latin American folktales by Jamie Hernandez. My kids (5 & 9) both loved it and I did too. Even reads aloud well and there is some nice back matter. Highly recommended for ages 5-10.
Fred Slusher
Feb 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What a beautiful book. These three graphically-rendered, Latin American folktales are sure to delight both children and adults alike. I loved it.
Cindy Mitchell *Kiss the Book*
Hernandez, Jaime The Dragon Slayer: Folktales from Latin America, 40 pages. GRAPHIC NOVEL Toon Graphics (Candlewick), 2017. $17. Content: G.

Three different folktales are included in this graphic novel. The first is called The Dragon Slayer and is about a young girl who uses a magical truth wand to help the boy she loves from being sacrificed to a dragon. The second story is Martina Martinez and Perez the Mouse about a woman who attracts all sorts of animals, but finds her true love in a rat, bu
Justin Ferguson
Jul 28, 2018 rated it it was ok
"The Dragon Slayer" is a collection of three folktales from Latin America. I had never heard of any of these tales. As someone who likes folktales and is a Spanish teacher, I felt that reading these and familiarizing myself with some of the archetypes would be important for my personal and professional edification.

This is the English version of the tales, but finding out later that there is a Spanish version I think I would've preferred to read that version. Regardless of the language, I appreci
Jesús
Feb 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Three, young-person-friendly, Latin American folks tales written, drawn, and adapted by comics legend Jaime Hernandez.

The eponymous first story is passable, but nothing exceptional. It’s a mostly predictable story about a poor servant woman marrying a prince after slaying a dragon.

The last two stories, however, are outstanding. One is a fun morality tale about a young woman whose husband (a rat) falls into a pot of soup. She mourns his loss and spreads her sadness to others. In case you don’t a
Su
Mar 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a really delightful collection of three of the most believed stories in Hispanic/Latinx culture. I was really nostalgic for the art style, having been made to watch Muzzy the clock-eating alien as a child, and the tales were warm and familiar. It’s also really awesome to have a children’s book that really shows the diversity of Latin America and clearly as well as vibrantly communicates the importance of ingenuity, determination, generosity, love, loyalty, and not waiting for some hero b ...more
Justin
Jul 20, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition

Stephanie Tournas
Spanish language edition of Dragonslayers. Three folktales from Latin America are rendered into graphic novel form is this attractive addition to the Toon library. Included are "The Dragon Slayer," a classic tale of a youngest sister who must be strong and clever to survive; "Martina Martínez and Pérez the Mouse," by Alma Flor Ada, about a young woman whose husband, a rat, falls into the soup, and his eventual rescue; and "Tup and the Ants," about a lazy youngest son who ends up being the luckie ...more
Stephanie Bange
Sep 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Eisner-award winner Jaime Hernandez has taken 3 short tales that feature strong women from Latino folk literature and retells their stories in graphic form. The stories included are "The Dragon Slayer", "Martina Martinez and Perez the Mouse", and "Tup and the Ants".

A wonderful balance of words and images is achieved in this TOON book. Hernandez's digitally colored India ink images are simple, yet effective. The artwork is clear and fresh, reflecting their Latino origins. There is a timeless qual
Barbara
Folktales are essential to our cultures, and they provide strong links to our ancestry as well as important lessons about life and what we value. In this cartoon version of a handful of traditional tales from Latin America, readers meet a kitchen maid who turns misfortune into fortune, slaying a seven-headed dragon and winning the heart of a prince, a fetching young woman who falls in love with a mouse who almost meets his end as part of a savory soup, and Tup, a lazy fellow who gets others to d ...more
AprilSLib
Mar 11, 2019 rated it liked it
I love folktales. It’s an easy way to teach people important lessons and pass down important values and traditions. I chose “The Dragon Slayer” because I wanted to see how some of these lessons translated into a Juvenile fiction format, and I was curious about Latin American folktales.

The artwork by Jaime Hernandez is expressive and fun. I’m not sure that young readers would understand the meanings behind the stories, though. Even as an adult, I was a little bit confused by a couple of them. Tha
Elaine
Feb 12, 2018 rated it liked it
Odd but accessible tales for middle grades. In the first story, a peasant girl is given a magic stick by a woman she feeds with her own meager food supply. The stick guides her to great feats which lead her to becoming queen of the kingdom. The second story by Alma Flor Ada features a young woman who falls in love with a mouse. The mouse falls into the soup and drowns and everyone mourns (little birds cut off their own beaks in sorrow?!). But a wise woman fishes out the mouse and he's OK "and th ...more
Meredith
A collection of three familiar folktales, with a modern artistic twist, told in graphic novel form. The stories are told in straight forward language, which is good for upper grade readers reading a little below grade level. The illustrations are colorful, and show lots of emotions. My favorite tale was, "The Dragon Slayer,"a classic tale where a girl is tricked by her jealous sisters, but uses kindness, wits, and valor to overcome their trickery and triumph in the end.

At the end of the book the
Ian Morales
May 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
The dragon slayer : folktales from Latin America was a quick and fun way to read traditional folktales. The graphic illustrations from Jaime Hernández, whom I love and worship from Love & Rockets, really brought these folktales to life. There are only three tales but all with obvious themes and/or lessons to learn. I cannot wait to get a copy for my third grade classroom and for my home library for my own kids to enjoy.
Alenka
Jun 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fairy-tale
I love the toon books series, Mouly's crew of artists always knock it out of the park, and this is no exception! Jaime Hernandez retells three delightful folktales and, in the back matter, discusses how Latin American folktales celebrate strong women and teach practical and moral lessons. His art is as lovely as usual; clean lines, well balanced color work that will appeal to young readers and great facial expressions! A joy to read.
Katie
Mar 06, 2018 rated it liked it
This book intrigued me-I love that it is available in English and Spanish which is so important for my students. It presents 3 different folktales using graphic novels which are a huge hit in my Library, but I am not sure that students will rush to check this book out. I liked that it included notes and told more about the history of the folktales. I am interested to see what my students think of it.
Abigail Evans
This book has a collection of different folktales from Latin America. All of the stories inside are written with child friendly language and they all have great illustrations for them. Jamie hernández asks the readers hypothetical questions such as "what happens when a woman marries a mouse" and discusses the folklore behind these questions. The stories are numerous and very interesting for kids.
Bonnie
Jul 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cbr-10
This is a charming and colorful set of tales. There should be more than three! That's my only complaint. This is great for kids who love fairytales or fables, and adults, too. I heard of this book through my beloved former professor's recommendation on the Comics Alternative podcast, and I second her glowing review.
Sofia Araya
Jun 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
I was so excited to read this. The three folktales in this graphic novel are fun, and two of them have female protagonists. The folktales are odd, but classics. One of them, the story of El Raton Perez is a classic that I grew up listening to as a child. This book is a fun, modern way of presenting this tales to a new generation.
Kirsten
Jan 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
She slays the seven-headed dragon and saves the prince! Raton Perez falls into the soup reaching for the golden onion and only Dona Pepa thinks to rescue him! Tup, with the help of his new and pesky ant friends, plants the crops and saves the farm! Latin American folktales come to life in these delightfully illustrated graphic stories. Girl power!
Felicia
Apr 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved the cute, quirky art and the notes at the end explaining the history behind the stories. Comics are such a great medium to retell old stories and make them relevant to a new generation of young readers.
Andrea Andrusewicz
This book is a good read and a good way to get students engaged in reading. This book is also good for ELL students or other students from different cultures. It is very diverse and has a little bit of almost every culture in it. Good read.
May 07, 2018 rated it liked it
With easy to follow art and folktales I've never read or heard before, this will be easy to recommend. Good for early readers wanting a graphic novel and good for older readers wanting to broaden their folktale repertoire. Good for most.
Isabel
Jul 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Super cute collection of three folktales with life lessons. My favorite was the first, because it depicts a female hero who is kind, brave, and independent.

I wish this was longer and filled with even more stories!
  • Mr. Wolf's Class (Mr. Wolf's Class, #1)
  • Akissi: Cat Invasion
  • The Heartless Troll
  • Peter & Ernesto: A Tale of Two Sloths
  • The Cardboard Kingdom
  • Lowriders to the Center of the Earth (Lowriders in Space, #2)
  • Sci-Fu
  • Sanity & Tallulah
  • Flop to the Top!
  • Good Night, Planet
  • We Dig Worms!: TOON Level 1
  • The Sand Warrior (5 Worlds, #1)
Jaime and his brother Gilbert Hernández often write together under the name "Los Bros Hernandez".