Start by marking “In eisiger Nacht (Max Wolfe, #4)” as Want to Read:
In eisiger Nacht (Max Wolfe, #4)

In eisiger Nacht

(Max Wolfe #4)

Ein Schicksal, schlimmer als der Tod

London, an einem frostigen Wintermorgen. Bei einem Einsatz erwartet Detective Max Wolfe ein schrecklicher Anblick: In einem Kühllaster liegen zwölf erfrorene Frauen. Offenbar hatten sie noch versucht, sich aus ihrem eisigen Gefängnis zu befreien - vergeblich. Alles deutet darauf hin, dass sie von Schleusern illegal ins Land geschafft wur
Published January 26th 2018 by Bastei Lübbe (first published 2017)

Start your review of In eisiger Nacht (Max Wolfe, #4)
Rob Twinem
Apr 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For some reason I appear to be reading the DC Max Wolfe series in reverse order, not that this really makes any difference to my enjoyment of this first class creation by our very own home bred author Tony Parsons. What sets this crime series equal to and often above the everyday police procedural is the warmth and humanity that the author instils in Max Wolfe retaining so much of the charm from Parsons earlier books (Man and Boy, Man and Wife) Make no mistake Wolfe is a no nonsense operator wit ...more
Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
There are some series that become so special for you that the characters feel like old friends. The Max Wolfe series by Tony Parsons is one of them for me. Now, it has been a while since I read the previous book in the series, but it didn't take me long to get back into the life of Max and his daughter Scout and of course their dog Sam.

READ THE REST OF THE REVIEW OVER AT FRESH FICTION!
Kirsty ❤️
May 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime
I read The Slaughter Man, my first time reading Tony Parsons last month and now this and I may actually have found one of my new favourite authors. I've really been enjoying these books.

Not sure I want to work with Max Wolfe though; he really is a death magnet. Without spoiling the 'who' his work colleagues are always getting themselves murdered. I've never seen such a police death total since I started reading these books!

This one is all about people trafficking, the fastest growing crime at
Pat
Oct 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars. I've really enjoyed this series to date. In this book an abandoned refrigerated lorry is found with 12 dead women inside. But there are 13 passports. The race is on to find the last woman before the traffickers can silence her for good. This quest leads DC Max Wolfe down some very dark alleys indeed.
Richard
Apr 26, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
Another excellent novel from Tony Parsons who has not only written an clever and absorbing read but raised the nasty trade of people trafficking.
The story is rather gruesome at the start; a group of illegal women stowed in the back of a lorry brought into the U.K. for prostitution or slave labour.
Unfortunately they were in a refrigerated vehicle that when the temperature rose the thermostat kicked in.
Dumped in Chinatown, London the police have 12 bodies but 13 passports.
A dark tale about family
Sid Nuncius
Mar 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a gripping and intelligent police thriller from Tony Parsons. It's the fourth in the Max Wolfe series, but I read it without having read the previous three and enjoyed it very much.

This time, DC Max Wolfe investigates people trafficking after twelve women are found dead in the back of a lorry. It's a well-researched and passionately angry story which it moves at a very brisk pace and kept me gripped throughout. Parsons writes very well; I found Max's narrative voice very convincing, the
Elaine Tomasso
Feb 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I would like to thank Netgalley and Random House, Cornerstone for a review copy of Die Last, the fourth novel to feature DC Max Wolfe of the Met.

The department is outraged when they find a refrigerated lorry with 12 dead women in it in Chinatown. The women have been trafficked and all died of hypothermia but there are are 13 passports in the cabin so who and where is the missing woman?

I thoroughly enjoyed Die Last which has a compulsive plot and some likeable characters. People trafficking is a
Mark
Dec 15, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Quite disappointing, whilst I still enjoyed reading about the life of Max Wolfe, an excellent character. The story didn't really do a lot for me!

Max also needs to find another move and stop punching people in the heart!
Anne Vaughan
Apr 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
excellent everyone should read this book
Donna ~ The Romance Cover
Max Wolfe finds himself in the midst of a human trafficking ring that has devastating consequences, not only for the women involved, but also the police force itself. I love that Tony Parsons puts his own spin on trends and events that are relevant and doesn't just glamorise and dramatise but tells the story with empathy as well as all the twists and turns that always lead me to never knowing "whodunnit."

I will say though that the constant mention of the BMW X5 continues to irk me, why not just
Cáitín
Aug 19, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: max-wofle
I love the Max Wolfe books and this was not a let down, it has good pace,twists along the way, if I had any problem with the book it was that I had worked out who was behind the killings very early in the book, but I be honest I did change my mind a couple of times lol.

I am looking forward to see what becomes of Max and his daugher in the next books
Anke
Jul 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a very captivating, but at parts very horrible story about human trafficking. Many twists and turns and several surprises along the way. I really like the writing of this author and I’m already waiting for the next book.
Jul 08, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2017
so meh. it's readable but the plot was ok at best and boring in parts
Verushka
Dec 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What is this about?: A lorry truck filled with women frozen to death in the back is found in Chinatown and Max and his team are called in to investigate.

What else is this about?: Max and the two women — no three — in his life: his boss, Whitestone, his partner Edie, with whom he is falling in love with and Scout, his young daughter. This has always been a character focused series, and it remains as such.

Stars: 4.5/5

Tony Parsons is the type of writer that makes every word count, makes me feel eve
Clare
Listened to in audio format.

Die Last begins with Hana Novak taking a Selfie with her little brother Nesha. Hana is about to start a new life in London working as a nurse. Hana paid a fee to a pay master to illegally enter the UK. However Hana was shocked when she was put in the back of a refrigerated lorry with 12 other women for the journey. On the way over 11 of the women froze to death, when the driver discovered this he abandoned the van in London's Chinatown.

Max and his colleague Eddie Wren
Jo Jenner
I bought this book based upon the tag line '12 dead girls. 13 passports. Where is she?' and I have to say it did deliver.
I had not heard of DC Wolfe before and I think there were possibly a couple of spoilers in this book that might mean that if I know go back to the earlier books they won't be as enjoyable.
However as a police thriller this had it all. Chinese tong leaders, anarchists, human trafficking and old school east end villains.
So why only three stars? The lost stars are due to glaring
David Snape
Apr 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another exceptional read and one about a subject that I loved to know more about, people smuggling and the consequences. 13 passports and a lorry in Chinatown with 12 dead bodies. How did it get there? What were they doing in the UK? Who are the big bossies that will snap them up? Nurses? Care Homes? Prostitution? Where they from the migrant camp in Calais?
All these answer will be revealed in this gripping drama. You don’t want to miss this 😃
Linley
Apr 27, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Max Wolfe is another flawed detective in the paperback crime genre. Parsons writes well and the story flows along. Great book for the beach/plane/quiet time.

Recommended for adult readers - there story has violence, death and human trafficking.
Beau
Dec 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Roll on the next Max Wolfe! I love this series, the characters are so well written and the stories are jaw dropping x
Kevin
Nov 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019-read
This is the first fuĺl length book I have read by Tony Parsons and I can say that it will not be my last.

The writing is easy to follow, the style is simple to follow, yet informative.

The plot is extremely difficult to write about, human trafficking, and giving "humanitarian" aid work a bad name.
Holly
Dec 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Why did I read this book?
a) Its one of Tony Parson's "Max Wolfe" series which I am thoroughly enjoying - - and no, one does not have to read them in 'series'....
b) The front cover says: "12 Dead Girls, 13 Passports - where is she?" - - okay, that really got my attention!!
Human trafficking is big business!! One that can bring a lot of money!! Ohhh ohhh but not when 12 girls end up dead in the back of a lorry!!! This twisty, turney, "Guess who dunnit" kinda book had me waiting to turn the page
Jen
May 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017challenge
Die Last marks the welcome return of DC Max Wolfe. Called to the scene of an abandoned truck in Chinatown, nothing can prepare the team for what they are about to find inside. The bodies of 12 young women, seemingly frozen to death for reasons which are not clear. Now I have to be honest and say that I have had this book burning a hole in my kindle since its release date a couple of months back and I really wanted to read it but blogging commitments took my attentions elsewhere. So I bit the bul ...more
Maine Colonial
I’ve read all of Tony Parsons’s Max Wolfe series and I have a love/hate relationship with them.

What I love is the tough/tender character of Detective Constable Max Wolfe, his relationships with his colleagues, daughter Scout and dog Stan. He has a way of seeing most everybody as a person, even those who are on the wrong side of the law. Those who hurt other people, though, they get no consideration from Max. I love that the stories are always gritty and violent but human, and set in all walks o
Trevor Snape
May 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
DC Max Wolfe is a detective who lives with his daughter Scout and dog Stan in London. An Irish woman named Mrs Murphy helps out with looking after and Scout, Stan and his home. This story starts out with a lorry being dumped in London's China town. Inside this lorry are eleven dead women and one other almost dead who dies shortly afterwards. Inside the cab of the lorry are thirteen passports. This is a case of people smuggling but where is the thirteenth woman and who is behind this crime. This ...more
Jay Dwight
Mar 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is my first Tony Parsons book and I found him an engaging story teller.

This one surrounds people smuggling / human trafficking and starts with an abandoned lorry being found in Chinatown with 12 dead females in the trailer, apparently illegal immigrants. But 13 passports are found in the cab of the lorry. DC Max Wolfe sets off to find the path taken to bring these girls into the UK and track down those responsible. Good police procedural.
Elite Group
Sep 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Human trafficking. Will the authorities ever stop it?

DC Max Wolfe, his partner DC Edie Wren and their immediate boss, DCI Pat Whitestone, have been called to Chinatown after a lorry has been abandoned. It’s a lorry that would normally carry products requiring refrigeration. This time the cargo is young girls, frozen to death. It appears from the passports that they recover in the cab, that the girls have been picked up while passing through Europe.

There should only be twelve passports, but they
Nicki
Nov 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow what a fantastic listen this was! Even though I’ve got more than enough books to read and listen to, I didn’t fancy any them so had a browse on the rbdigital app on my phone for a new audiobook. I started this on Monday and finished it this morning, so a 24 hour listen!

This is book 4 in the Max Wolfe series, a series I’ve not read before, but it felt like a standalone to me, as it hooked me from the first few sentences. I really liked Max the main character, he came across as a good bloke, b
Sue Perks
I'm going to try to write this without spoilers, but it will be hard to do

This is the 4th book in the Max Wolfe series, I've read them in order so far but I think this will be my last.. There's a strange mix in all the books of piling on the detail to be convincing - e.g. Wolfe bizarrely always refers to his vehicle by it's model number instead of just calling a car or perhaps a BMW or even a beamer, then getting details wrong so they jar; in a previous book the pathologist, in 21st century Lond
Lesley Davison
Jan 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have been working my way through the DC Max Wolfe series since October when I visited my friends in their holiday home on the Costa Blanca and picked up a few of their 'guest library' books!

I initially didn't take to Max as he seemed to be your typical 'poor me' deserted Dad, left to bring up his daughter and feeling bitter towards women. However, Max has grown on me as a character, I like the contrast of 'hard as nails' cop with boxing skills and the tender father figure he presents when aro
Pgchuis
I have not read any of the previous instalments in this series, but this was a police procedural from the perspective of Max, a DC in the Met, here part of the team looking into the deaths of twelve women illegally trafficked in from France and frozen to death in the back of a refrigerated lorry.

I liked the fast pace and found this novel easy to read, but I didn't like much else about it. Surely the Met has a dedicated human trafficking team, because Max's fictional team was totally incompetent.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Stolen (Lucy Clayburn, #3)
  • All That’s Dead (Logan McRae, #12)
  • Perfect Kill (D.I. Callanach, #6)
  • The Killing Habit (Tom Thorne, #15)
  • Your Deepest Fear (DS Nathan Cody #4)
  • Their Little Secret (Tom Thorne, #16)
  • How the Dead Speak (Tony Hill & Carol Jordan, #11)
  • Dead Beat (Kate Brannigan, #1)
  • Strangers (Lucy Clayburn, #1)
  • Shadows (Lucy Clayburn #2)
  • Dead at First Sight (Roy Grace, #15)
  • Cold as the Grave (Inspector McLean #9)
  • The Blood Road (Logan McRae #11)
  • A Breath on Dying Embers
  • Dead If You Don't (Roy Grace, #14)
  • Lovac na zmajeve (Dragulji Lagune) - TP
  • Jeremiah's Bell
  • Day of the Dead (Eve Clay #3)
There is more than one author in the Goodreads database with this name.

Tony Parsons (born 6 November 1953) is a British journalist broadcaster and author. He began his career as a music journalist on the NME, writing about punk music. Later, he wrote for The Daily Telegraph, before going on to write his current column for the Daily Mirror. Parsons was for a time a regular guest on the BBC Two arts

Max Wolfe (6 books)
  • The Murder Bag (Max Wolfe, #1)
  • The Slaughter Man (Max Wolfe, #2)
  • The Hanging Club (Max Wolfe, #3)
  • Girl On Fire (Max Wolfe, #5)
  • #taken (Max Wolfe, #6)