Start by marking “Heating Cooling: 52 Micro-Memoirs” as Want to Read:
Heating  Cooling: 52 Micro-Memoirs

Heating Cooling: 52 Micro-Memoirs

The 52 micro-memoirs in genre-defying Heating Cooling offer bright glimpses into a richly lived life, combining the compression of poetry with the truth-telling of nonfiction into one heartfelt, celebratory book. Ranging from childhood recollections to quirky cultural observations, these micro-memoirs build on one another to arrive at a portrait of Beth Ann Fennelly as a w ...more
Published September 25th 2018 by W. W. Norton Company (first published October 10th 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Heating Cooling, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Heating Cooling

Debbie
A delicious collection of teensy memories, all self-contained, cozy, and succinct. I was hoping some succinct would rub off on me, but it's not meant to be. Sigh. (See? Even the sigh is extra.)

This went way too fast. Seriously, the first time I looked down at my progress on my Kindle, I was at 58%. Slow down! The tidbits were like sugar. Once I started gulping them down, I didn't want to stop. I sort of couldn't stop; they were addicting. After I was done, I went back to find a few samples and d
Joshilyn Jackson
Scott was making dinner, so I curled up on the sofa with the old cat. I read the first micro-memoir in HEATING AND COOLING by Beth Ann Fennelly, read it again, and then I had to ruin the cat’s life by getting up and going to the kitchen to read it aloud to Scott. This happened four more times, at which point my 20 year old son---who ONLY reads non-fiction or novels with space or dragons in them---took HEATING AND COOLING out of my hands. He devoured it cover to cover, in one sitting. In other wo ...more
Carol
E-galley provided by W.W. Norton & Company, Edelweiss and Author, Beth Ann Fennelly for my honest review. Heads up also to GR friend and member Katie for recommending this title.

You may be tempted to breeze through this short book of vignettes. Savor the wisdom, savor the humor, savor the read and when you're finished go back and read it again. You might be surprised at what you missed on the first go round.
lit.erary.britt
I’m a big memoir fan and I loved this unique take on the genre. Fennelly presents snippets of her life that give you almost enough. I appreciate the missing pieces. The style works. These thoughtfully-written essays range from a couple sentences to a few short pages. I want more!
Diane
Mar 12, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: memoirs
This is an amusing collection of personal stories. The pieces are so short the subtitle calls them micro-memoirs, but whatever you call them they are humorous observations about one woman’s life.

The pieces reminded me of journal entries - a writer dashing off clever notes about her day, and I enjoyed the collection. The stories are so brief they disappear quickly from memory, but I liked them in the moment.
Kevin
A small but potent book with essays that touch on love, marriage, parenting, and writing. A good fistful of these pages just skewered my heart real nice.
Autumn
Jan 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Pure poetry. So much said in so few words.
Mo
Jan 16, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2019, poetry, owned
I had high expectations, but I am sad to say I was a bit let down by this book. I love poetry and I love short stories / memoirs, but I think the combination is not for me. The book being written by different writers (it's a collection) and every poem/story being so short makes it hard to empathize. Furthermore, some poems were really farfetched, for example 'Mommy wants a glass of Chardonnay'*. But in some way it was also nice that there was variation between sad, funny, and weird stories. The ...more
Janine Slayton
This was a quick read, but not necessarily a light one.

Fennelly's series of micro-memoirs range from funny to heart-breaking, tackling everything from marriage to motherhood to loss, to lessons learned growing up, to her complicated relationship with repairmen, and so much more.

Reading these made me think of how quickly life flies by, especially the older you get. I remember hearing, as a child, my parents comment on how quickly time flies by. I thought they were crazy because to me, at the ti
Sarah Obsesses over Books & Cookies
OMG can this woman write!! about everything, marriage, motherhood, secret talents, vince vaughn everything with the keen eye of a poet but the sensibility of an essayist. quick, super quick reading for those times you're like, damn what am I going to read next.
Bree Hill
Dec 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I started reading these micro-memoirs yesterday while riding around the city with my husband and kept laughing and giggling I had to start reading them to him. This collection are short sweet hilarious and to the point reflections on different occurrences in the author’s life that really build up and paint a portrait of who she is now.

She’s the friend that if you were on Who Wants to be a Millionaire, you wouldn’t use as one of your life lines. Her husband, every story he writes kills off a cha
Emily
Feb 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There’s no reason not to read this book. It’s creative, charming, relatable, and easy to read (you can probably finish the whole thing in an hour). The author uses (very) short stories to highlight different memories or lessons from her life. I really loved it!
Olivia Lammel
May 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this so much! It was delightful and well written and hard to put down. I accidentally read it in one sitting- I kept telling myself “I’ll get up and do chores after one more story.”
Alexandra
Read in a day (actually while I was on the elliptical). It has memoirs that will make you laugh out loud, which is potentially hazardous when you are only holding on to the elliptical with one hand. It also has some touching moments with stories that will cut you to the core. Fennelly is candid and vulnerable, while still finding a way to delight you with her stories. Memoirs like this can easily get too personal, but Fennelly straddles the line well.

Thank you, Anne Bogel, for recommending this
Lacy
Jun 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: essays, memoir
Fennelly manages to reveal herself to the reader in 52 micro stories of her life. The reader is left feeling like she could strike up a conversation with BAF as if she's an old friend. She's honest, open, and witty. I especially like the Married Love series.
Katie
So funny, so sharp, so specific and yet so relatable. This is going to be a surprise hit.
Mississippi Library Commission
Weird, funny, and personal. We really liked this one!
Halley Sutton
Nov 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Funny, wise, beautiful, absurd, dark. As her mother said, "There are a lot of penises, Beth Ann."
Kirsty
Apr 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had not heard of Beth Ann Fennelly's Heating and Cooling before, but stumbled across it on my online library catalogue and borrowed it immediately. I love fragmented memoirs, and this is a particularly interesting one. Through each of these 'micro-memoirs', Fennelly reveals herself little by little. The entries are amusing, and sometimes quite touching; Fennelly's approach is fresh and enjoyable. There is such depth and consideration to the writing, and I will definitely be looking out for Fen ...more
Kari Ann Sweeney
Jan 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
I adored this book. I loved the format of the micro-memoir. Short snippets of wit, pain and life. I could relate to how a seemingly mundane moment can unexplainably leave a lasting memory. Fennelly is such a talented writer. "Married Love II" and "Why I'm So Well Read" had me laughing until it hurt.
Mary
May 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars. Heartbreaking and lovely and really, really funny– I absolutely saw myself in so many of these pages. How Beth Ann Fennelly manages to tell a story of her life, so complete, in such short snippets and few pages is incredible to me. She is abundantly talented.
Mitch Karunaratne
Apr 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
This is a wonderfully crafted memoir in 52 short episodes - some just a sentence, others 4 pages long. Some of the memoirs are almost like poems in complete sentences. What I loved is these are very open and beautifully observed, Fennelly hones in on the details of life. Because of this, unlike other memoirs, it felt very universal and less about the authors life and more about prodding my own memory and reflection on relationships, marriage and family.
Kate
Mar 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A collection of very short, quirky anecdotes/ thoughts from the author’s life.
May 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I loved this- a cross between memoir and poetry, both funny and poignant.
Bonnie
Dec 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Loved these essays, well written, funny and courageous.
Nik
Jul 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my new favorite sort of memoir. Its flash-non-fiction. It's full of humor, humanity, and some jarring and very real moments. A quick and wonderful read.
Kirsti
Vivid and lively. My favorite micro-memoir was the first one. The addendum at the end of the book made me laugh out loud.
Beachesnbooks
4 stars!

Before picking up Heating & Cooling, I had actually never heard of a micro-memoir before. I had, however, heard of microfiction, which I tend to absolutely love; there's something about a short format that requires an author to pack so much meaning and complexity into every word. I think that shorter pieces are much harder to create than longer pieces for this reason; you just don't have room for anything extraneous, and you have to make every bit count.

It turns out that I enjoyed th
Nancy
Oct 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book reminded me of why I love memoirs so much. Interesting, touching and funny, these mini memoirs stay rolling around in your head for days.
Rubal
  • I Can't Complain: (All Too) Personal Essays
  • For You, for You I am Trilling These Songs
  • The Hard Way on Purpose: Essays and Dispatches from the Rust Belt
  • Study in Perfect
  • From the Ground Up: A Food Grower's Education in Life, Love, and the Movement That's Changing the Nation
  • Neck Deep and Other Predicaments: Essays
Beth Ann Fennelly is the author of Tender Hooks: Poems and Great with Child: Letters to a Young Mother . A professor of English at the University of Mississippi, Fennelly lives with her husband and children in Oxford, Mississippi.
“I don’t remember what we ate or drank or discussed, I remember only the long table filled with high-spirited bohemians—intellectuals, internationals, the great unwashed—and how I yearned to be one of them.” 0 likes
“You’ve just read of a woman remembering an orange thrown through a window, without knowing why she remembers this. You will either remember reading this and know why you remember reading this, or you will remember reading this and not know why you remember reading this, or you will not remember reading this, possibly forever.” 0 likes