Start by marking “Servant Leadership in Action: How You Can Achieve Great Relationships and Results” as Want to Read:

We've seen the negative impact of self-serving leaders in every sector of our society. Not infrequently, they end up bringing down their entire organization. But there is another way. Servant leaders lead by serving their people, not by exalting themselves. In this collection, edited by legendary business author and lifelong servant leader Ken Blanchard and his longtime ed ...more
Published March 6th 2018 by Berrett-Koehler Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Servant Leadership in Action, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Servant Leadership in Action

Start your review of Servant Leadership in Action: How You Can Achieve Great Relationships and Results
Bill Pence
Feb 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In the “Foreword” to this collection of essays about servant leadership, John Maxwell writes that he and Ken Blanchard have believe that the only way to create great relationships and results is through servant leadership. He writes that it all about putting other people first. Over the past several years, I have greatly benefited from the teaching on servant leadership from Maxwell, Blanchard and many of the contributors in this book.
In the “Introduction”, Blanchard writes that the world is in
Dr. Byron Ernest
I began reading Servant Leadership in Action from a somewhat jaded view. It had seemed to me that the term and thought of servant leadership has become somewhat of just a cliche`. I have watched leaders become doormats in the guise of being a servant leader. Or poor leaders making the excuse of not producing because of being a servant leader. This book reminds us that servant leadership is about influence and action and not just cliche`. My favorite thing about this book is all the great leaders ...more
Katarzyna
Początek zapowiadał sie niezle, powiedziałabym nawet bardzo dobrze - obszerny opis zagadnienia Servant Leadership i wtem w momencie gdy czytelnik spodziewa sie praktycznych porad, przykladow działań zostaje mu sprezentowane motto "bądź jak Jezus". Niestety porady w stylu podążaj śladami Jezusa pojawiają sie tak czesto ze ciężko wyłowić pośród nich praktyczne świeckie wskazówki które można zastosować w środowisku biznesowym.

Jak na poradnik zaskakująco mało jest przykładów konkretnych działań a za
George P.
Aug 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Servant leadership is a term coined by Robert Greenleaf to describe leadership concerned with people development, not just profit maximization. Servant Leadership in Action presents state-of-the-art thinking about the concept. Editors Ken Blanchard and Renee Broadwell curate 42 short essays developing various aspects of servant leadership. Contributors include business leaders, organizational consultants, and Christian ministers. The editors acknowledge Jesus Christ as the fundamental influence ...more
Rev. Linda
Aug 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Picked this up at a recent Christian Leadership Summit--some excellent ideas from 44 servant leaders -- From the publisher: "The only way to create great relationships and results is through
servant leadership. It's all about putting other people first."-- - from the foreword by John Maxwell----We've all seen the negative impact of self-serving leaders in every sector of our society. Not infrequently, they end up bringing down their entire organization. But there is another way: servant leadersh
Alireza Hejazi
Nov 29, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Servant Leadership in Action defines leadership as servanthood. The book is an exploration of the strategic and operational aspects of Servant Leadership (SL). SL is the practice of leading through service to the team, by focusing on understanding and addressing the needs and development of team members to enable the highest possible team performance. In cooperation with SL experts and commentators, Ken Blanchard and Renee Broadwell describe the characteristics of servant leaders. They explain h ...more
Troy Nevitt
Dec 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was helpful and varied in the many different approaches for how to lead well. The chapters are short. The advice is easily put into practice. It's not a boring read.

It's very clearly a leadership book, so don't expect deep theological insights from it. In fact, there are a few chapters that I would highly recommend staying away from, due to poor theology. But the focus of this book is on leadership, so I'll give it 4 stars for that purpose. Ir probably deserves more like 3.5 stars thou
Jon
Jun 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is a collection of something like 40 plus essays written by different people on what servant leadership means to them, how they implemented it, how it changed them and their organization, and many other topics.

I found several of the essays to be quiet profound and useful for me. Some were less interesting to me, but I still would recommend this book without reservation.

Highly recommended for anyone interested in learning more about servant leadership.
Cigno
Mar 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A collection of 42 essays from 42 different leaders from a wide range of industries and walks of life. Each essay offers unique perspectives on servant leadership and what it looks like to implement it. Great book to leave lying around to just pick up and read for 5-10 minute spells as the reader can typically finish an entire essay in that time frame.
Toria
Jun 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read this for a college class that I am taking. Servant Leadership in Action is one of the best books that I have read for college. Servant Leadership is something that I understand better now and want to personal implement. I would highly recommend this book, especially if you want to know the basics of what Servant Leadership is.
Ryan Panzer
Interesting perspectives on servant leadership from those who have implemented it in their own organizations. Some of the theology is a bit reductive, and at times, overly preachy. But any leader or aspiring leader has something to learn from Blanchard.
Luis
Jan 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Has some very informative/interesting parts. At various chapters the whole thing felt like dogmatic Christian/church propaganda (hence the 4/5 rating) but overall these were reasonably good essays. The principles it discusses seem sound and actionable.
Ietrio
May 02, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: junk
Another motivational speaker trying to carve his own niche on an already crowded market. He does not seem to be the initiator of the concept. And his best examples are a few nobodies leading impressive firms who happen to have the same name as the sole employee.
Randal Meikle
Jan 01, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great blend of Servant Leadership perspectives from many of our business and cultural leaders. I really was inspired and enjoyed this book for the many Mmmhmmm moments it gave me and the notes it caused me to write down.
John Reimer
I was excited to read the first part of the book. However, after a while it seemed to be more of a Ken Blanchard promotional book. There were too many stories that were about ‘success’ rather than about what was identifiable servant leadership.
Ian McGaffey
Feb 15, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a neat way to collate a lot of different speakers on servant leadership into a book. I liked the ideas and how they presented real world examples of servant leadership in action. This is something that I want to implement in my own life.
John
Dec 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rated: A-
Edited compilation of several great servant leadership mentors (Bachelder, Cloud, Covey, Laurie Beth Jones, Kouzes & Posner, Lencioni, Maxwell, Ramsey, Sinek). I ended up with seven pages of notes. Highly recommended.
Leanne Smith
Dec 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm grateful to Ken Blanchard and Renee Broadwell for their work on this collection of essays on servant leadership. My husband and I use this in our university course. Filled with leadership wisdom! ...more
Eric
May 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2018
Excellent essays on servant leadership,what it means, and examples of practice.
Sharene
I wish this had been more secular and tangible, but I resonated with some of the essays and it had some valuable things to say.
Jim
Sep 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018, hardback
With all of the negative leadership examples that appear in the news it is refreshing to read so many examples of positive Servant Leadership examples and role models.
Derek Gillespie
Just a bunch of essays and they are all saying the same thing: to be a good leader, you have to be a good listener and put your customers and employees first.
Tom Erik Frydenlund
Fin bok som gir mange eksempler fra ulike firmaer og hvordan de praktiserer en tjenede lederstil og hva det har betydd for resultater og kultur.
Tommy
Aug 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of Ken's best ...more
Regan Robertson
Feb 06, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It can get redundant.
Otis
Jun 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow! What an awesome book. Excellent compilation of leadership stories. What great examples of what attributes a servant leader should hold.
Michelle Malsbury
265 pages
May 2018 Review for Bookpleasures
Reviewer-Michelle Kaye Malsbury, BSBM, MM
Review
Ken Blanchard, author of Servant Leadership in Action, is a voice to be listened to as far as business is concerned. Previously he penned The New One Minute Manager and more than sixty other titles. (2018, inside back cover) In 2005 he was induc
Steph
rated it did not like it
Jun 04, 2019
Nicole
rated it it was ok
Feb 26, 2020
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• The 17 Indisputable Laws of Teamwork: Embrace Them and Empower Your Team
  • The Best Business Books Ever: The 100 Most Influential Management Books You'll Never Have Time To Read
  • Ten Lessons for a Post-Pandemic World
  • The Coaching Habit: Say Less, Ask More & Change the Way You Lead Forever
  • Ginekolodzy. Tajemnice gabinetów
  • Turbulencja
  • Talking to Strangers: What We Should Know About the People We Don’t Know
  • Wicked Bugs: The Louse That Conquered Napoleon's Army and Other Diabolical Insects
  • Foutez-vous la paix ! et commencez à vivre
  • The Five Temptations of a CEO: A Leadership Fable
  • Decisive: How to Make Better Choices in Life and Work
  • Night Light (Restoration, #2)
  • Her Daughter's Dream (Marta's Legacy, #2)
  • Last Light (Restoration, #1)
  • Unveiled: Tamar (Lineage of Grace #1)
  • Unafraid: Mary (Lineage of Grace, #5)
  • Dawn's Light (Restoration, #4)
Ken Blanchard, one of the most influential leadership experts in the world, is the coauthor of the iconic bestseller, The One Minute Manager, and 60 other books whose combined sales total more than 21 million copies. His groundbreaking works have been translated into more than 27 languages and in 2005 he was inducted into Amazon’s Hall of Fame as one of the top 25 bestselling authors of all time.

News & Interviews