Start by marking “This Girl Ran” as Want to Read:
This Girl Ran

This Girl Ran

If you had told Helen two years ago that she would be getting up at 6 a.m. on Sundays to swim in a freezing reservoir and spending her Saturday nights unshowered and covered in mud in a pub, she would have spat out her champagne. But when everyone around you starts settling down, what else is a glamorous party girl to do but to launch herself into the world of endurance ...more
Published February 8th 2018 by Summersdale Publishers

To ask other readers questions about This Girl Ran, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about This Girl Ran

Start your review of This Girl Ran
Ian
May 27, 2018 rated it it was ok
Maybe I'm too British but I just couldn't get on board with how effortless the author made everything she accomplished (and it is a lot) sound.. Doubtless it took huge amounts of resolve and effort to do what she did but for.me, this didn''t translate into the narrative - and on severally occasions I feel that she came across as being a bit unlikeable.. this is all huge shame as I desperately did want to like her and her story! Perhaps this was more geared towards people that aren't intimately ...more
Abi Santer
Sep 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Almost inspired me to go running, almost ...more
Kitvaria Sarene
May 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, running
I really enjoyed the parts about running. I found it very funny, that even though the author and I are as different as can be in most of our personal traits, we share some things about running down to the last drop.
At times I found it a bit annoying to read about how important fashion and looking good and wearing make up and so on where for her, and how much she needs to socialise and be part of a group. I myself nev r wear make up, have no idea about fashion and don't care one bit what others
MTK
Nov 14, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was an interesting story about a woman who realised her relationship with alcohol was getting problematic and turned to endurance sports to change her lifestyle. I can't say I sympathised with the heroine; most of her "problems" are self-inflicted and could be solved with a little common sense, but she seems to take a sort of pride in being a bit of a mess, an attitude I find extremely grating. But it's well-written and makes excellent points about how modern life in a western country can ...more
Dorothyredboots
Sep 04, 2018 rated it liked it
Audiobook. Well narrated by the author. Rather repetitive at times. Reading about the running (and triathlon in this case) journey of a much younger person can be a bit depressing. She bandies times about which for me are the stuff of dreams. I also got a bit fed up of hearing how she knew nothing about running kit, bike maintenance etc, until she turned up for an event very ill prepared. I assume this was a narrative device to allow her to go on to explain things for the lay reader. If you are ...more
Clare Newman
Oct 03, 2018 rated it it was ok
I dont know if I am missing the point or if this book was missold to me. I thought I had found an inspiring book about someone challenging themselves... I imagined it would be a book about someone struggling with short distance running who overcame that and ran a marathon.

She may well run a marathon- But she has lost my interest very early on having ran her first timed run in 25 minutes - Certainly not the lap time of someone who struggles with running.
Tina
Jun 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
I really went back and forth on whether I should rate this a 3 star or a 4 star. Ultimately, I chose 4 stars because the book is engaging (for the most part) and well written.

Helen felt as though something was missing in her life.....and that she spent too many social activities around drinking. So, she broke off her relationship and discovered running and then swimming and then biking and then triathlons.

The author does a great job of bringing us along on her many, many, many, *did I mention
Liz Wilson
Jan 10, 2019 rated it it was ok
I should start by saying that although I enjoy exercise and am reasonably fit, I am not a runner. I decided to buy this book on offer as the focus of a woman in her thirties changing her lifestyle and priorities resonated with my own life experiences. However, to coin the perfect one-line review of another reader, “if you’re not interested in running, this book offers nothing else.” In a nutshell, the wildly fluctuating reviews seem to be based on whether you are a runner/fitness fanatic and ...more
Camio.Dontchaknow
Sep 13, 2018 rated it liked it
To start off with I wasn't really loving this book. It seemed to drag to get started. As, I suppose, every metamorphosis story must do in order to lay the groundwork for the motivation and journey. I hadn't realised it was a triathlon read either which took me by surprise. Nought wrong with triathlons, mind ('Tis on my wish-to-do list in fact!) I was just initially a bit disappointed as I'd got all prepped for an inspirational runner's read and there was an awful lot about road cycling, which ...more
Richard Howard
Feb 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book was a really interestng read. I found her logic to be very close to my own in bargaining with one's self that we are quater/third/half way there etc.
As someone that is always trying to squeeze runs into a crazy life centered around work and dad-taxi duty, I was facinated by how far she managed to push her self in such a short period of time.
(view spoiler)
Lolly Timmo
Feb 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Pretty readable. Some of it does create a bit of an idealised version of the running community, but I think that is part to do with the author's pace. If you are someone who considers your starting point of 25 minutes for a 5k to be slow then you are unlikely to be mixing with the people who moan about their weight and talk about running to make up for what they ate the day before.
Overall I think it's a good running read, but needs to be taken with a pinch of salt for anyone looking to start a
APrincessCutFromMarble
It’s an quick okay read, and I loved how she became more and more obsessed with running and triathlon, and the research she put into it. It is inspiring. However I felt like I could not relate much to her as she goes from designer bag and shoes to never working, just training. She is nevertheless quite likable, and I loved that she managed to compete in the world championships. If you are looking for ways to change your life and looking for inspiration, This Girl Ran is certainly worth the read.
Antonio Terreno
Feb 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's a good book, it's truly inspiring but I can't get off my head what if Hellen would actually do if properly trained, the times she puts off on her runs and swim are insane, hitting World Champs after just a year of just 'unorganized' 'train as much as I can' training is not for normal human beings, she's truly gifted and as much I try to understand how good is to just enjoy triathlon and racing I can't image what she can achieve with some proper training - she can be an age group on Long ...more
Ayshwarya Jaisankar
Nov 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Helen's evolution from a party girl to an endurance athlete was funny, honest and full of relatable experiences for anyone who has tried their hand at such feats. Reminded me of my days training for the MS150, spending all of my money towards equipment and eventually building a lifestyle that revolved around training. It is also very reassuring to hear such an accomplished athlete express self doubt. Great listen!
Harriett Bunclark
May 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was surprised by how much I enjoyed this book. I'm not a party girl and me and exercise hate each other with a fiery passion. I must admit when I started reading the book I did wonder if I would get to the end as this isn't my usual type of genre but I was surprised by how much the author pulled me in. I was there in the rain and mud whilst she was running and I felt like I could see it with my very own eyes instead of reading about it. Would highly recommend
Adam
Feb 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Ok this was tri-mendous (see what I did there). I read this book mainly in the bath after 15 mile runs so for that reason it is probably going to staying with me for a while. Maybe it was because this book came along at the right time for me but it's one of the best books I have read because it was real to me...and as far as I am concerned this is what books are meant to do! So for this I thank you.
Jul 03, 2018 rated it liked it
I don't think this one was for me. While I appreciate the writing and the work the author clearly put into her triathlon training, as well as her realisation about personal relationships, I didn't identify with her as I had hoped to do. Subsequently I don't think I'm the target audience for the book.
Em Faulkner
Jan 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gripping and funny almost to the end

Totally absorbing story of a party girl's transformation into an endurance athlete, with interesting revelations about our cultural obsession with nutrition for weight loss rather than fuel, and insights into the effects hard training has on the body. Only downside is the ending. It just sort of stops...
Rebecca
Aug 13, 2019 rated it did not like it
This seems more like a brag book than a inspiring book. I usually really enjoying running inspiration books but this one was so boring and grating that I couldn’t quite bring myself to finish it! I read a lot of books each year and this one is by far the worst I’ve read this year.
Sara Tilley
Aug 17, 2019 rated it liked it
I want to make new friends and run/swim/cycle fast.
Interesting to witness her journey but she makes it all seem a bit too easy.
Sporadic audible listen over several weeks as she was rather too annoying in large doses.
Helen Gray
Jul 29, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: library
An interesting read. Compared to some other running memoirs I've read I felt that it seemed a little too "easy" for her to go from running to triathons, but I am aware that it does happen. I would preferred more on the events towards the end of the book as they felt that they were rushed.
Karly Daniels
Jul 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant!

Loved this book. I've been a runner for over 10 years and found this book fascinating. I've just signed up for my first ultra marathon next year and this book has made me tempted to buy a bike and have a bash at triathlons!
Laura Elizabeth
Sep 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyed this book. Easy to follow but not your usual wishy washy chick lit! Humourous and heart warming, relatable and made me want to get out and exercise myself! Interesting insights into intimacy and friendships as well.
Trina
Nov 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is not the sort of book l would usually choose to read but found it on a 2 for 1 on Audible. l found it enthusiastic and motivating in many ways, but l don't plan on taking part in any triathlons ever!
Sandra
Mar 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Easy to read, a motivational true story.
Beverley
Jul 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Lots of practical advice in the form of anecdotes from her own experiences.
Sailaway
Apr 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
stimulating,funny
Faye Clark
May 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
As someone just starting to run I loved this - it’s easy reading not top class literature but I would recommend it to anyone wanting to read something a little bit different and who enjoy the gym etc
Vicki Littler
Sep 04, 2018 rated it it was ok
Only read if you're getting into running/ triathlon. This book offers nothing else.
Melissa
Aug 31, 2018 rated it liked it
A really lovely story that got me inadvertently looking up local running groups while I listened to the audiobook. Inspiring and light.

• Eat, Drink, Run: How I Got Fit Without Going Too Mad
  • Running Like a Girl
  • Don't Stop Me Now: 26.2 Tales of a Runner’s Obsession
  • Running For My Life: My 26.2 Mile Journey to Health and Happiness
  • Jog On: How Running Saved My Life
  • Dare to Tri: My Journey from the BBC Breakfast Sofa to GB Team Triathlete
  • The Pants of Perspective: One Woman's 3,000 Kilometre Running Adventure through the Wilds of New Zealand
  • Your Pace or Mine?: What Running Taught Me About Life, Laughter and Coming Last
  • Running Up That Hill: The Highs and Lows of Going That Bit Further
  • The Rise of the Ultra Runners: A Journey to the Edge of Human Endurance
  • Run Mummy Run
  • A Life Without Limits: A World Champion's Journey
  • 50 Shades of the USA: One Woman's 11,000 Mile Cycling Adventure Through Every State of America
  • Runner: The Memoir of an Accidental Ultra-Marathon Champion
  • The Way of the Runner: A Journey into the Fabled World of Japanese Running
  • Leap In: A Woman, Some Waves, and the Will to Swim
  • The Diary of a Bookseller
  • Straight Outta Crawley: Memoirs of a Distinctly Average Human Being
Helen Croydon is a best-selling author, journalist and broadcaster, with a focus on social trends, modern relationships, gender equality and health and fitness.

Her latest book This Girl Ran: Tales of a Party Girl Turned Triathlete is out in February 2018. It's a memoir about ditching a city girl lifestyle, discovering outdoor sport and qualifying to be a GB triathlete.

Her first book, Sugar Daddy