Jump to ratings and reviews

The Black Car Business Volume 1

The “black car” has appeared both conspicuously and inconspicuously throughout the annals of fiction—its presence both mysterious and menacing, its appearance enough to pause your heart.

It’s the sedan just within sight that seems to be mimicking your speed and movements as you walk down the dark deserted street late at night. As the hairs rise on the back of your neck you wonder, Who is behind the wheel and what is the driver’s intent? It’s The Black Car Business and its presence means your life is about to abruptly change. You try to assure yourself there’s nothing wrong, but your pace quickens nonetheless, and soon you’re running, desperate for that narrow sliver between two buildings to slip through, the one too narrow for the black car to pass through.

It’s that car parked just down the block that sends chills down your spine and keeps you awake throughout the night.

It’s the sanctuary you race toward when you’re being chased, only to explode when you turn the key.

It’s the one that skids off the icy mountain overpass and plunges into the cavernous grotto.

It’s where Clemenza garrotes Carlo just as he’s about to be driven to the airport.

It’s The Black Car Business.

Turn the pages as ten masters of the noir art befuddle and frighten you with their stories. We promise a read you’re sure to enjoy.

Contributors: Eric Beetner, J. Carson Black, Cheryl Bradshaw, Diane Capri, Jeffery Hess, Lawrence Kelter, Dana King, Allan Leverone, Simon Wood, and Vincent Zandri.

280 pages, Paperback

First published April 30, 2018

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Lawrence Kelter

65 books123 followers
Lawrence Kelter is the bestselling author of the Stephanie Chalice Mystery Series. A resident New Yorker, born and raised in Brooklyn and residing on Long Island. He often uses Manhattan and Long Island as backdrops for his stories. He is the author of three novels featuring street savvy NYPD detective, Stephanie Chalice: Don't Close Your Eyes, Ransom Beach, and most recently, The Brain Vault. Early in his career, he received direction from bestselling novelist Nelson DeMille, who put pencil to paper to assist in the editing of his first book. He was also a member of a private writing workshop led by the late soap opera legend and AFTRA president, Ann Loring. His novels are quickly paced and routinely have a twist ending.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
Displaying 1 - 19 of 19 reviews
Profile Image for Wendy.
1,593 reviews551 followers
May 1, 2018
The Black Car Business Volume 1 is a good anthology with a collection of short stories, all having a "Black Car" theme, from ten authors that know how to write mystery and suspense.
I was first drawn to this anthology as Allan Leverone is one of the contributing authors. His novels have given me many hours of thrilling reading pleasure and are on my list of favourites. Some of the other authors I have read before and some are new to me.
All in all an enjoyable read!
Profile Image for Marsha.
944 reviews20 followers
February 6, 2018
A collection of short stories by some great authors. Each mystery is unique. And each a different type of mystery. Some were more Nior'ish, one or two were more cozy'ish. Some had more of a thriller aspect. Some more 'clean' than others. Not all have a clear cut ending. In fact most have an open ending, with the mystery/crime not being fully solved. You don't really know what happens (yet you can guess.) There are lots of murders. Some are a little more graphic than others. Several revolve around a mafia/mob of one form or another. Some are more gritty than others. And all have a special guest... a car. Most are a black older model (hence the name of the book,) though not all. At first I thought it was the same car that carried over into each new story, but I soon realized that wasn't the case. There are a couple humorous (in an absurd kind of way) scenes. There are no sex scenes, so it's clean as far as that goes... it's just the killing scenes that might make this unsuitable for the younger readers. All in all, this compilation has a good variety, and is a good introduction to an author you may not be familiar with.
29 reviews
February 1, 2018
The Black Car Business Volume 1 is a collection of mysteries connected by black cars. Kind of interesting and different how each car is used in the stories. The collection is freeky, strange, heroic, they have terror, betrayal and revenge. There is literally something for every emotion. It will keep you reading late into the night. I am looking forward to the second volume.
Profile Image for Merry Chapman.
1,215 reviews10 followers
May 6, 2018
A collection of mysteries with a Black Car theme from some very favorite authors with a lot of different flavors.

A collection of short stories from some favorite writers which are centered around a black car. When I first saw the book title and read the first short story, I thought the theme of the same black car would have continued with the different authors. It didn't. Each story uses a black car in its own theme, some more obviously than others. But nevertheless, the this collection of favorite authors produced some really thrilling as well as cozy mysteries peppered here and there with some humor. Some of the stories were dark thrillers, so this collection was really fun to read. I received an ARC of this book, but the opinions expressed here are strictly my own.
Profile Image for Nancy Silk.
Author 5 books70 followers
May 7, 2018
"Very Captivating Collection of Short Stories"

This is an assembly of the mysterious black vehicles that are always described in thriller mysteries. Several authors have contributed their outstanding stories to enhance readers about the black cars which may follow your car on a dark night, cruise slowly down your street, or the mysterious car parked down the block. Also, importantly, who is behind the driver's wheel? Take a cruise along and see if there are any good black cars. All the stories are extremely well written and totally enjoyable.
Profile Image for YardBoy.
57 reviews
May 1, 2018
Classic black cars used as props by classy authors can only lead to shady business.

Some of my favorite writers, often known for other genre, join forces with Lawrence Kelter in this joyride anthology. Their skill as pure writers keeps them on this collection's common and sinister track. As you're sucked into these short stories, you'll grimace and groan at surprises around every corner. And like me, you'll likely read with an adopted Brooklyn accent.
Profile Image for Sharon.
226 reviews
May 12, 2018
Excellent collection of short mystery / thriller stories by some of the most outstanding bestselling authors in this genre. I've read and liked books by five of these authors in the past and their sections in this book did not disappoint. I got the added bonus of being introduced to new authors, whose writing I also enjoyed. You really can't go wrong with this collection! All the stories are great and it's one engaging thriller after another. Definitely highly recommend!
Profile Image for Cheri PK.
Author 5 books1 follower
February 2, 2018
This was a quick read, but it was very good. It was made up of 10 different stories by different authors, all of which were good. I particularly loved the last paragraph of Allan Leverone's story, Slay Ride. It was very funny, especially considering it was a story about mobsters. Great twist in the story too. I really liked this book!
Profile Image for Julie Carter.
785 reviews6 followers
May 1, 2018
This was a great collection of short stories with a unique hook - they all were about a black car. It was so interesting to see the different takes on the car and how they were used in the stories. This is a great group of authors and definitely a collection of stories to add to your own collection.
938 reviews18 followers
May 2, 2018
This collection of short stories have one thing in common, a black car. That's pretty much where the similarities end. Each author has a unique style and story to tell. I originally was drawn to this anthology by Cheryl Bradshaw, I love her books. However, I happily found several authors I will be reading more of.
77 reviews
February 10, 2018
This collection of short stories is a mixed bag. One I absolutely hated - The Doctor is In .. horrible.
On the other end of the spectrum - "I've got to get me a gun" is a delight. The other stories are in between and honestly rather forgettable - but not a chore to read by any stretch.
Profile Image for Bev.
2,728 reviews73 followers
May 6, 2018
This set of short stories all have a black car involved in the story in some fashion. Some are crime, some are spooky, all are enjoyable reads. If you like short stories with a black car theme, this book is for you! I voluntarily reviewed an ARC of this book.
9,634 reviews102 followers
May 7, 2018
What a wonderful selection of stories with a black car theme. Keeps you guessing with the suspense to the end and wished that there were more stories
1,353 reviews
May 10, 2018
This is a great collection of stories, all with the ominous black car. I enjoyed each of the stories, and I definitely recommend this anthology!
90 reviews1 follower
May 12, 2018
This was a very different book than I usually read. It’s intriguing but not something I can say was riveting. Each chapter started a new short story and it linked in some but not others.
Profile Image for Dawn Andrewes.
16 reviews
November 6, 2018
Loved this book! Exciting with different authors. All different styles but all captivating as the next!
Profile Image for Cathy.
7 reviews
April 30, 2018
This book has 10 different stories by 10 different authors. The one common element throughout the book is a Black Car. It was fun to read the different writing styles of each author. I enjoyed every story. Some more than others. This book is also a great way to find an author you have never read before and enjoy another of their novels. One story was written by an author I had not yet read anything by, Dana King, I will definitely try another book. One of my favorite authors, Allan Leverone, wrote one of the stories. It was, as always, excellent. Not one of the stories are anything alike. Just a warning: there is cursing, some stories more than others, but nothing that should scare you away. I highly recommend the book.
Profile Image for Janet.
Author 8 books40 followers
February 2, 2018
This anthology has some of my favorite authors involved. It's put together very well, a nice package of books following a "black car" theme. Highly recommend for the thriller lovers out there.
Displaying 1 - 19 of 19 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.