Start by marking “The Black Car Business Volume 1” as Want to Read:
The Black Car Business Volume 1

The Black Car Business Volume 1

The “black car” has appeared both conspicuously and inconspicuously throughout the annals of fiction—its presence both mysterious and menacing, its appearance enough to pause your heart.

It’s the sedan just within sight that seems to be mimicking your speed and movements as you walk down the dark deserted street late at night. As the hairs rise on the back of your neck you
Published April 30th 2018 by Down & Out Books

To ask other readers questions about The Black Car Business Volume 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Black Car Business Volume 1

Start your review of The Black Car Business Volume 1
Wendy
Apr 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
The Black Car Business Volume 1 is a good anthology with a collection of short stories, all having a "Black Car" theme, from ten authors that know how to write mystery and suspense.
I was first drawn to this anthology as Allan Leverone is one of the contributing authors. His novels have given me many hours of thrilling reading pleasure and are on my list of favourites. Some of the other authors I have read before and some are new to me.
All in all an enjoyable read!
Simon
Feb 02, 2018 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
I have a story in this anthology...so naturally, I like it. :-)
Marsha
Feb 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
A collection of short stories by some great authors. Each mystery is unique. And each a different type of mystery. Some were more Nior'ish, one or two were more cozy'ish. Some had more of a thriller aspect. Some more 'clean' than others. Not all have a clear cut ending. In fact most have an open ending, with the mystery/crime not being fully solved. You don't really know what happens (yet you can guess.) There are lots of murders. Some are a little more graphic than others. Several revolve aroun ...more
Linda Frank
Feb 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Black Car Business Volume 1 is a collection of mysteries connected by black cars. Kind of interesting and different how each car is used in the stories. The collection is freeky, strange, heroic, they have terror, betrayal and revenge. There is literally something for every emotion. It will keep you reading late into the night. I am looking forward to the second volume.
Merry Chapman
May 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A collection of mysteries with a Black Car theme from some very favorite authors with a lot of different flavors.

A collection of short stories from some favorite writers which are centered around a black car. When I first saw the book title and read the first short story, I thought the theme of the same black car would have continued with the different authors. It didn't. Each story uses a black car in its own theme, some more obviously than others. But nevertheless, the this collection of favor
Nancy Silk
May 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Very Captivating Collection of Short Stories"

This is an assembly of the mysterious black vehicles that are always described in thriller mysteries. Several authors have contributed their outstanding stories to enhance readers about the black cars which may follow your car on a dark night, cruise slowly down your street, or the mysterious car parked down the block. Also, importantly, who is behind the driver's wheel? Take a cruise along and see if there are any good black cars. All the stories ar
Sharon
May 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent collection of short mystery / thriller stories by some of the most outstanding bestselling authors in this genre. I've read and liked books by five of these authors in the past and their sections in this book did not disappoint. I got the added bonus of being introduced to new authors, whose writing I also enjoyed. You really can't go wrong with this collection! All the stories are great and it's one engaging thriller after another. Definitely highly recommend!
YardBoy
Mar 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: noir fans and real Brooklynites
Classic black cars used as props by classy authors can only lead to shady business.

Some of my favorite writers, often known for other genre, join forces with Lawrence Kelter in this joyride anthology. Their skill as pure writers keeps them on this collection's common and sinister track. As you're sucked into these short stories, you'll grimace and groan at surprises around every corner. And like me, you'll likely read with an adopted Brooklyn accent.
Julie Carter
Apr 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was a great collection of short stories with a unique hook - they all were about a black car. It was so interesting to see the different takes on the car and how they were used in the stories. This is a great group of authors and definitely a collection of stories to add to your own collection.
Cheri PK
Feb 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was a quick read, but it was very good. It was made up of 10 different stories by different authors, all of which were good. I particularly loved the last paragraph of Allan Leverone's story, Slay Ride. It was very funny, especially considering it was a story about mobsters. Great twist in the story too. I really liked this book!
Leah Hines
May 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This collection of short stories have one thing in common, a black car. That's pretty much where the similarities end. Each author has a unique style and story to tell. I originally was drawn to this anthology by Cheryl Bradshaw, I love her books. However, I happily found several authors I will be reading more of.
Bev
May 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own-it, have-read
This set of short stories all have a black car involved in the story in some fashion. Some are crime, some are spooky, all are enjoyable reads. If you like short stories with a black car theme, this book is for you! I voluntarily reviewed an ARC of this book.
James Hatz
Feb 09, 2018 rated it liked it
This collection of short stories is a mixed bag. One I absolutely hated - The Doctor is In .. horrible.
On the other end of the spectrum - "I've got to get me a gun" is a delight. The other stories are in between and honestly rather forgettable - but not a chore to read by any stretch.
Jackie
May 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a wonderful selection of stories with a black car theme. Keeps you guessing with the suspense to the end and wished that there were more stories
KimberlyDawn
May 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a great collection of stories, all with the ominous black car. I enjoyed each of the stories, and I definitely recommend this anthology!
Sandra
May 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a very different book than I usually read. It’s intriguing but not something I can say was riveting. Each chapter started a new short story and it linked in some but not others.
Dawn Andrewes
Nov 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book! Exciting with different authors. All different styles but all captivating as the next!
Cathy
Apr 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book has 10 different stories by 10 different authors. The one common element throughout the book is a Black Car. It was fun to read the different writing styles of each author. I enjoyed every story. Some more than others. This book is also a great way to find an author you have never read before and enjoy another of their novels. One story was written by an author I had not yet read anything by, Dana King, I will definitely try another book. One of my favorite authors, Allan Leverone, wro ...more
Janet
Feb 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This anthology has some of my favorite authors involved. It's put together very well, a nice package of books following a "black car" theme. Highly recommend for the thriller lovers out there.
Karen Ivankovic
April Shuffler
Sep 26, 2019
Felicia
Nov 18, 2019

• Blackthorn Manor Haunting (Addison Lockhart, #3)
  • Night Justice (Justice #7)
  • The Accused (Theodore Boone, #3)
  • Those Summer Nights (Oyster Bay, #5)
  • Still the One (Bayside Brides Book 1)
  • Sweet Success (Candle Beach Sweet Romance #2)
  • A Little Love (No Greater Love #4)
  • The Two Lila Bennetts
  • The Wedding Plan (Veils and Vows, #3)
  • A Moment in the Moonlight (Sweet River Book 6)
  • Will You Remember Me? (No Greater Love #6)
  • The Woman I Was Before
  • The Secret Child
  • Change of Heart: A Seashell Cottage Book
  • After the Lie
  • The Light in the Hallway
  • One Fine Day (Oyster Bay Bayside Brides Book 2)
  • Room with a Clue (The Park Hotel Mysteries #3)
Lawrence Kelter is the bestselling author of the Stephanie Chalice Mystery Series. A resident New Yorker, born and raised in Brooklyn and residing on Long Island. He often uses Manhattan and Long Island as backdrops for his stories. He is the author of three novels featuring street savvy NYPD detective, Stephanie Chalice: Don't Close Your Eyes, Ransom Beach, and most recently, The Brain Vault. Ear ...more

News & Interviews