Start by marking “The Voice in My Head” as Want to Read:
The Voice in My Head

The Voice in My Head

From the author of Tiffany Sly Lives Here Now comes an unforgettable novel about facing the impossible, dealing with family chaos—and making sense of everything you are.

For Indigo Phillips, life has always been her and her identical twin—Violet. The perfectly dressed, gentle, popular sister. But now Violet is terminally ill and, in a few hours, plans to die on her own te
Expected publication: May 28th 2019 by Harlequin Teen (first published May 2019)

To ask other readers questions about The Voice in My Head, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Voice in My Head

PinkAmy loves books, cats and naps
***Thanks to NetGalley for providing me a complimentary copy of THE VOICE IN MY HEAD by Dana L Davis in exchange for my honest review.***

Indigo prepares to jump from a building when she hears a voice in her head claiming to be god. Not wanting to live without her terminally ill twin Violet, god tells Indigo her sister will live if they visit The Wave. Instead of swallowing pills to die with dignity, Violet agrees to take a road trip with her family.

Depending on the reader’s perspective, Indigo’s
Jypsy
The Voice In My Head is a sad story. Twins Indigo and Violet have lost the closeness they once shared but for a good reason. At eighteen years old, one of the twins, Violet, is terminal. Dying. The grief of the surviving sister is a palpable thing. Indigo begins to hear the voice of God telling her things to do to save her sister. The story is far fetched for me. It's proof that people will believe what they want to believe even though it's ridiculous. It's a sad story about a family in the midd ...more
Kibbenza
Jan 12, 2019 rated it liked it
(ARC provided by Netgalley in return for my honest opinion.)

Indigo's sister is dying. As in, she's terminal. As in she's going to die by doctor assisted suicide. As in Indigo is about to be one half of a set. Overwhelmed at the prospect of living without her twin, Indigo climbs a building, prepared to die, too. But before she can leap, she hears a voice telling her that if she takes her sister to Arizona, she'll live. Always a believer, her sister Violet agrees, and the whole family takes off on
Gregory Schwartz
Jan 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What an engrossing book! I love Dana Davis' books because she does the heavy lifting for me by crafting excellent, gripping, approachable stories and she allows my critical mind to disengage. So I can just read, get lost in the narrative, and enjoy. This is what a book is supposed to be -- an escape, and also a nourishing experience for your mind and soul. I'm so glad I got ahold of an advanced copy!
Lynne Lambdin
Dec 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Sometimes a reader can get into a rut. When you read heavily, stories become predictable, sound alike and content begins to lack originality. I went into The Voice in My Head expecting the issues described. But what I got was a story that had me hooked and compulsively reading as if Voilet's life depended on it. And what a life experience it was.

Voilet and Indigo are eighteen year old identical twins. While they have the same DNA, their personalities could not be more different. Which is quite
Michelle
Dec 29, 2018 rated it liked it
My full review can be found on the Epilie Aspie Chick blog!

Thank you to Inkyard Press for providing the ARC in exchange for an honest review.

At it's core, this book is about two sisters who lost their close connection along the way. Indigo and Violet together are such a sweet combination and once they finally talk about their life, it's nice to see their bond grow closer again and open up to each other. Unfortunately, this doesnt happen until late in the book and truthfully I would've liked mor
ExpatLibrary
Dec 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a 'coming of age' story about African-American twins who diverge in mind and heart when one decides to end her life with dignity after a severe, incurable lung illness and the other starts to hear the voice of "God" in her head.

I am not a big fan of grief reading. I enjoy the occasional Jodi Picoult novel but it isn't my first choice. So I when I picked up The Voice, I did it to resolve the 'problem' I had in needing to find out what actually WAS the voice in Indigo's head (spiritual, r
Sally Maxwell
Nov 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Thank you to Harlequin TEEN for the arc of this book.
Such a heartbreakingly good read, I loved this book, it made me full on ugly cry, and touched my heart. Anyone with siblings will understand how Indigo feels, and her struggles with her parents.
It was lovely how they all came together, even though it was such a sad story, but very well written.
Savanna Waddle
Feb 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
*Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for providing me a complimentary arc of The Voice in My Head by Dana L. Davis in exchange for my honest review.*

tw for suicidal ideation and attempt, terminal illness, death, brief racists couple, being held at gunpoint, and physician-assisted suicide

OKAY FIRST OFF THE COVER IS SO BEAUTIFUL. I really love it, and it captures the two sisters.

There were a lot of things I loved about this book, and a few things that I thought could have been handled better.
Leah
Feb 12, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2019, ya
Michele Amedee
Jan 01, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: did-not-finish
I received this book from Net Galley to give an honest review and I couldn’t even get past the first chapter. Once she started thinking she was hearing voices and God was speaking directly to her, I was done.
Katya Becerra
Jul 03, 2018
Dana L. Davis
Jul 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
MoniQue M. Miller
Malena Peña
rated it it was ok
Feb 16, 2019
Keirstin Smith (CloudOfThoughts)
The Voice in my Head by author Dana L. Davis is a great book. It has heart, suspense and takes you through a journey of family. Was a pretty quick read and overall a good book.
Thank you Netgalley and the publisher for an ARC copy of The Voice in My Head in exchange for an honest review.
Rachel
Luke ( LUCI ) Peterson
May 01, 2018
Kevin A
Jan 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was instantly drawn into this book from the first page. Dana truly has a gift of crafting a story that jumps off the pages. Each character is fully realized and interesting which made for a roller coaster of emotions. The sibling relationships really hit home for me and truly showed the nuanced dynamics. After reading Tiffany Sly Lives Here Now I was excited to read Dana's next effort and she did not disappoint. The Voice in My Head is an engrossing read that I'd recommend to anyone who enjoys ...more
Aria