Start by marking “Catching Teller Crow” as Want to Read:
Catching Teller Crow

Catching Teller Crow

Nothing's been the same for Beth Teller since she died. Her dad, a detective, is the only one who can see and hear her - and he's drowning in grief. But now they have a mystery to solve together. Who is Isobel Catching, and what's her connection to the fire that killed a man? What happened to the people who haven't been seen since the fire? As Beth unravels the mystery, ...more
Published September 1st 2018 by Allen & Unwin

To ask other readers questions about Catching Teller Crow, please sign up.
Mali because they didn't understand the other title
Nancy They are the same book -- it was given a new title in the US.

Start your review of Catching Teller Crow
Hannah Greendale
At first glance, The Things She's Seen looks like a morsel, just a slim bite of a book about an Aboriginal ghost, a heartbroken father who works as a detective, and a strange girl who speaks in riddles. But upon closer inspection, it's a substantial meal, with meaty themes and a satiating mystery. What begins as the story of an unexplained fire unfolds into a layered, harrowing tale of tragedy and triumph with elements of magical realism in the vein of Life of Pi.

Easily consumed, but not quickly
Jenny Baker
It took me days to finish this book despite the fact that it’s incredibly short. It should have been a one-sitting read.

At first, the story reminded me of The Lovely Bones — a young girl dies unexpectedly and her spirit stays behind to help her grieving family — but then I realized The Things She’s Seen lacks the emotional depth that I loved in the Alice Sebold novel.

Beth was killed in a car accident. Her detective father can both see and hear her. She helps him with his investigations,
Lata
4.5 stars. A story of family, grief, and dead and missing young women. Part of this story felt familiar to the situations in Canada:
1) the taking of indigenous youth from their families and the deep and long-lasting psychological trauma to the children and their families.
2) missing and dead aboriginal women, and the lack of substantial, societal interest.
This was a deeply emotional story, and had me in tears by the end.
Alice-Elizabeth (marriedtobooks)
Catching Teller Crow is a gorgeous, spooky read about a girl called Beth who died but now lives as a ghostly spirit and communicates with her father who is a detective. After some strange happenings, she and her father stumble on young Isabel Catching, who only tells her stories in verse and experiences strange ordeals of fantasy. This is told in a duel POV and written in both prose and verse. It was a beautiful, fast-paced read that was both thrilling and heartwarming. This does have aboriginal ...more
K.
Trigger warnings: death, Stolen Generation, (view spoiler). I think that's all?

This is a very peculiar little book. I mean, it was amazing and fast paced and I flew through it. But at the same time, I definitely wasn't expecting the magical realism-y elements of Catching's story. There were so many reveals in this story and I was blown away by every single one of them, even though this is barely 200 pages long.

I loved the mixture of prose and poetry. I loved the
Rincey
Jul 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poc-author
Calzean
This little book packs a punch. Two different narrators, aboriginal story telling, child abuse and exploitation, the Stolen Generation, death and grieving, and a murder mystery with a unique perpetrator. Just a brilliant book that makes reading so worthwhile.
Judy
Once I started I literally could do nothing but continue without a break until I had finished. I read as an audio-book and it was stunningly narrated by Miranda Tapsell. The authors note at the end is a must must read.
The authors note actually gives you everything I would like to be able to say about the importance of encouraging every Australian to read this and similar stories.
Officially classed as Junior Fiction- it is actually a book any discerning adult reader will devour.
Amazing,
OutlawPoet
Jun 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So, despite my posting name, I don't think poetry is for everyone and I think that a book that relies a lot on poetry to tell the tale should warn someone.

So, listen up! Much, much poetry and it's necessary for the plot so you can't skip it!

The poetic surprise notwithstanding, I did like this one. I thought the verse beautiful, our mystery compelling, and our characters interesting and engaging.

More than anything, though, I think I was intrigued mostly by this step into a culture that I've read
Figgy
RTC. In the meantime...

I found the Beth Teller chapters a little too, uh... Telly... and she seemed to me quite a bit younger emotionally than the fifteen-and-a-half she was supposed to be, but I guess maybe she lived a fairly sheltered life? And the dawning of what was going on probably wouldn't have been as powerful if she had understood what was going on straight away.

That ending and the way it wrapped up, though? Wow.

I'm still sorting through my emotions.

The whole "beneath-place" thing was
Ad Rocks Socks (semi hiatus)
3.75 stars; buddy read with my mom and dad.
RTC.
Megan Maurice
Oct 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I wasn’t sure about this book at the start, but the more I read, the hungrier I got to reach the end and solve the mystery. The parts narrated by “Catching” are so beautifully written and the way they tell the story is breathtaking. I want to go back and read all her parts again with the knowledge I have from having reached the end.
Trisha
Well, that's a heart-breaker.

Lyrical, lovely, #ownvoices
Diana-christie
Jun 18, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-book, boring
This story and the writing did not interest me.
Cheyenne Blue
It was good to read a young adult novel relating to indigenous Australians. I don't remember coming across any other (and would love to hear some recommendations, as I'm sure they must be out there).

This was enjoyable, but I wasn't blown away by it. I enjoyed the disjointed, choppy verse chapters told in Catching's voice the best. Beth Teller, the dead girl narrator seemed rather simplistic at times and I found I hurried through her parts to keep up with the story, rather than savouring them, as
Kirsty
Sep 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
You might see the slim size of this book, or that it's shelved in the children's section, and think it's lightweight. But it's one of the most complex, affecting and intense books I've read in a while. I wish it was many times the length – not because it needs it, but because I want to spend longer in this world and learn more about the history and present of aboriginal people in Australia.
Krystal Gagen-Spriggs
There are a lot of discussion points in this novel that would make it a great class novel. As a reading for pleasure book however, I think it might not be as well received. I know that my personal enjoyment was influenced greatly by the discussion around this book by my Teacher Librarian book club - without the insight and thoughts of my colleagues, I'm not sure I would have enjoyed the story as much. It did however, get me thinking.
Kathleen Dixon
Jun 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Kathleen by: the Bookshop
I read a children’s story by this author team before and enjoyed it, and a teen fantasy also, but this teen novel is superb. To categorise it is impossible - it’s a detective novel with a ghost and a link to Aborigine mythology in small town Australia. It tackles racism, and corruption. And grief, and love, and friendship. It’s told in 2 voices - one in prose and one in poetry - both linking perfectly to take the story along to a fulfilling conclusion.
Sass
Aug 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Truly excellent Indigenous Australian YA
Michael Livingston
Sep 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Smart, mysterious and surprisingly weighty for a slim YA book.
Stacey
Sometimes a book just isn't someone's cup of tea. And that same cup of tea can be heavenly to a different person. I think that "The Things She's Seen" just wasn't for me. This is a quick book and I loved the general plot idea of a ghost girl who is staying with her father while he grieves. In doing so, she begins to help him with a murder mystery. All sounds great but I really struggled with the way the book is written. The characters on one hand feel one dimensional and very young. Then on the ...more
Samm | Sassenach the Book Wizard
This was a wonderful own voices title from Indigenous Australian authors. I honestly couldn't think of a single author I knew that fell under both of those categories before. I really REALLY hope we'll get more Indigenous authors published by mainstream publishers in the coming years. Indigenous rep seems to have completely fallen to the wayaide despite the "We Need Diverse Books" campaign and readers asking for diversity.

Despite being less than 200 pages, it covered a lot of things about how
Bitchin' Reads
Apr 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thank you, NOVATeen Book Festival, for this amazing ARC.

Beth is a young Aborigine teen who has died in an unfortunate car accident, leaving behind a grieving father who is pulling away from his in-laws due to his survivor's guilt. But he can see her ghost. In an attempt to help him find his footing in life again, she encourages him to take on a case that she hopes will help him come to terms with what has happened to her and bring him back to his senses. The case he takes on was supposed to be a
Lynn
This was very interesting. I had no idea what to expect since I rarely ever research a book before reading it, but it wasn't this. While I have been reading some mythology (The Song of Achilles) and quite a bit of fantasy/science fiction this year, this somehow missed the mark for me.

I loved Catching's verse-like text. I think overall the fantastical vs. real-world elements just didn't mesh for me as they have in other books. Perhaps it is a cultural difference? This book is based upon two
Nicole Alycia
Jul 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was definitely one of the stranger books I’ve read this year but it was still a decent read. The story is told from the perspective of a girl who had died and she’s trying to help her dad with a case. Along the way they meet a curious character who tells them a dark story about what happened to her helping to unfold the entire case.
This was a quick and easy read. Parts of it were told almost like poetry which made whole sections fly by. Like I said, parts could be a bit strange but overall
Sammy
Apr 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
It’s so sad I haven’t read (or realized I’ve read) works from or about Aboriginal people. This story was not only insightful, but thought provoking and sad. The interweaving of life and death, reality and fantasy were so well done. It’s hard to distinguish truth from fiction - but it all felt real. This short story speaks volumes about stories and a culture I personally know little about, but I want to know more. I’m excited to read more from these authors in the future!
Out of the Bex
It took reading the author’s note to finally understand what this story was attempting to portray. Sadly, it was the story itself that failed to fulfill its purpose.

This book starts with very little to draw you in and never quite rectifies that mistake. There is not enough development or explanation to make the reader invested in what happens or who it happens to. It seems this work is trying hard to live up to its concept, but failing to include all the elements it needed to get there.

It can
Liz Derouet
Aug 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: faves-of-2018
Original, mysterious, captivating and well written, I have another for my favourites of the year list. I’ll write a longer review for my blog : https://lizderouet.wordpress.com
Can definitely recommend this book for all ages.
Sharni
Apr 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
So engrossed I read it in one sitting. What bed time?!
Tory
Mar 31, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019, ya
An interesting premise and a different perspective, but for being billed as YA, the writing level felt much more like a middle-grade book.

• Black Cockatoo
  • After the Lights Go Out
  • Monuments
  • When the Ground Is Hard
  • This is How We Change the Ending
Ambelin Kwaymullina loves reading sci-fi/fantasy books, and has wanted to write a novel since she was six years old. She comes from the Palyku people of the Pilbara region of Western Australia. When not writing or reading she teaches law, illustrates picture books, and hangs out with her dogs.

“My science teacher said that just because two things happened together didn't mean one was because of the other, or as she put it: correlation does not imply causation.” 2 likes
“Her people and mine carry me into sleep.” 1 likes