Start by marking “Brontide” as Want to Read:
Brontide

Brontide

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  30 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Rob; (and his brother Pen) white Aussies. Rob is completing Year 12, going to schoolies, working as an apprentice in his dad's company and loves his dog, Nig. Rob believes real men take risks.

Pen; fifteen-years-old, storyteller, graffiti artiste extraordinaire with a penchant for male anatomy. Pen is liked by everyone. Pen and Benny Boy are mates.

Benny Boy; twelve-years-ol
Paperback
Published June 2018

To ask other readers questions about Brontide, please sign up.
Troy I beg to differ with the earlier answer (Beth). This book is fiction. In my local library it is shelved in YA Fiction. The school is not a real…moreI beg to differ with the earlier answer (Beth). This book is fiction. In my local library it is shelved in YA Fiction. The school is not a real school, nor is the town. It's an innovative way to express the themes covered in the book. (less)

really liked it 4.00  ·

Kelly (Diva Booknerd)
Jun 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
In the small town of Taralune on the Sunshine Coast, four adolescent young men reluctantly commence their stories. Acclaimed author Sue McPherson was invited to Taralune Secondary College and St Nicholas Lutheran College to participate in a storytelling workshop with adolescents. Emerging were four young men, interrelated narratives sharing their ambition, unease and lives within the small coastal town.

Taralune is atmospheric and wonderfully illustrated through the perspective of each young man.
Jeann (Happy Indulgence)
3.5

RTC
Lily
“Love is more brilliant and more powerful than the colour of our skin”

What an unexpected little gem.

Told through a series of interviews this is not so much a story but a glimpse, fleeting and vulnerable, into the lives of a group of diverse Australian teenagers. The sparse, stripped back narrative style is surprisingly powerful, providing space for each individual to share their truth and their experiences, to ask questions about their lives and the world in which they live, to ponder on who th
Gail
Jun 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent, easily accessible book that covers some deep issues in a very engaging style.
Sarah Fairbairn
Jun 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: loveozya
I was captivated from the first page and I didn’t move or put this book down until I’d finished it.
Told through a series of interviews, it was fascinating getting different view points on the same event. Proving nothing is as it seems, one should never judge, you never know the full story and that teenagers boys aren’t all that bad.

I cried. I sat back and absorbed all the emotions I had experienced while reading. I immediately passed the book onto my mother and told her to read it.

I think this
Rob De
Mar 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Sue McPherson had the good fortune of attending Taralune High School near Noosa and interviewing kids and while this is such an obvious and easy way to produce a book, I loved it. Reminiscent of Papunya and Alison Lester's primary picture books produced through a collaboration with a school community this is the wonderful result.
It is often hilarious, at times raw and mostly touching but always insightful and totally readable. This book gives us a rare first hand look into teenage lives set in a
Gill
Oct 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Brontide is told through a series of interviews, and share the stories of four teenage boys reluctantly participating in a storytelling workshop with author Sue McPherson.

Brontide is a quick but intense read that raises social issues in a way that could easily lead to many discussions in a classroom or family without presenting clear and tidy answers.

As someone who volunteers for storytelling workshops, there was a lot that was deeply familiar - the initial reluctance that turns into a determin
Jodie Warner
Jun 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018-ya-books
Well this leaves you with a punch to the guts. Very accessible book (perfect for 15-18yo boys who don’t read), told in interviews to the author. This is the story of 4 boys, Rob, Pen (named because of the graffiti he leaves around town— can you guess?!), Jack and Benny Boy and their lit in life. Excellent.
Troy
Aug 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
A quick and surprisingly powerful novella and great example of innovative Australian YA literature.

The set up is a series of interviews at a high school based on the Sunshine Coast. Our author/interviewing is indigenous as are some of the interviewees. It’s a powerful way to bring race/tolerance/coming of age/family issues to the fore.

4 Stars.
Bec
Jun 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
a very different format for a book but it was easy to read. Working in a high school I could relate to the language (it was very authentic). I haven't really read anything in this interview format before but it actually flowed pretty well. I would be interested to read what else she has written. We received this book as part of a Standing Order - was a good choice will be buying it for the school
Kim Miller
Told through a series of interviews, this heart breaking transcript deals with racism, adolescent risk taking and domestic violence ... all in a small Australian community. It's a quick read, but the ending will stay with readers for much longer than it took to turn the pages.
Trisha
Interesting format. Tight, restrained length. Confronting content. Authentic voices.
M
Sep 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Simple yet powerful. An Australian contemporary response to Hinton’s The Outsiders. A must read!
Book Bazaar
Dec 28, 2018 rated it it was ok
A really interesting concept and structure, but I didn't lose myself in the story in the way I had hoped. This would be really interesting to use in a classroom.
BundabergSHS
Aug 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
So much happens in this story! Told using transcripts of interviews with young boys in school, this is unsettling stuff! Recommended.
Michaela
Jul 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Brontide is a coming of age story of four young boys told through a series of storytelling sessions at their school. Wow, what a unique and fascinating concept. This was young adult unlike anything else I have read. I loved this format and found it easy and engaging. The storytelling sessions of dialogue between the boys and the author made it easy for the reader to get to know the boys rather quickly despite how short the text is.This tale is full of great themes like perspective and different ...more
Gabrielle
Sep 14, 2018
Beth Ruth
Aug 01, 2018
St Stephen's C C
They are at times demanding, occasionally rude, always funny and unexpectedly profound. The boys like to challenge themselves and the rules, and soon realise that not everything goes to plan...
Debra