Start by marking “The Tiger at Midnight” as Want to Read:
The Tiger at Midnight

The Tiger at Midnight

(The Tiger at Midnight Trilogy #1)

Esha is a legend, but no one knows. It’s only in the shadows that she moonlights as the Viper, the rebels’ highly skilled assassin. She’s devoted her life to avenging what she lost in the royal coup, and now she’s been tasked with her most important mission to date: taking down the ruthless General Hotha.

Kunal has been a soldier since childhood, training morning and night
Expected publication: April 23rd 2019 by Katherine Tegen Books

To ask other readers questions about The Tiger at Midnight, please sign up.
Swati THE TIGER AR MIDNIGHT is definitely an exploration of the moral greys of war, duty, and honor--which I've always been interested in!

I actually had…more

I actually had the idea for The Tiger at Midnight while visiting a fort on vacation. I was looking out one of the windows of the fort, wondering what image would stop a dutiful soldier in his tracks and why. In this case, it happened to be a girl who's in the wrong place at the wrong time. But why?

It was the start of Kunal and Esha and inspired the opening scene of the book! (less)
We Hunt the Flame by Hafsah FaizalDescendant of the Crane by Joan HeWicked Saints by Emily A. DuncanThe Devouring Gray by Christine Lynn HermanThe Tiger at Midnight by Swati Teerdhala
YA Debuts 2019
113 books — 644 voters
King of Scars by Leigh BardugoThe Wicked King by Holly BlackThe Gilded Wolves by Roshani ChokshiWe Hunt the Flame by Hafsah FaizalDescendant of the Crane by Joan He
YA Novels of 2019
718 books — 1,207 voters

More lists with this book...

Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink
Sooo I'm a little biased here, because Swati is actually my writing mentor and a lovely person - but I REALLY loved this book (and I would have loved it just as much even if I didn't know her personally)!

If you know anything about me, you know I'm a huge fan of the cat and mouse trope - and heated banter. Like please give me all the heated banter forever and ever amen. So with that said, my heart was so giddy over Kunal and Esha! They are my children now and I love them and ship them endlessly.
Aila
To put into perspective:

I started this book around 1 am. I finished at 6 am and am up writing this review (full one to come closer to publication) because I just cannot stop gushing about it. Definitely add this one to your TBR's, fantasy lovers!

The Tiger at Midnight immediately caught my attention with its gorgeous cover. Before I knew it, the writing sucked me in, and after I got to meet the characters, I was thoroughly ensnared in its pages. This Indian-inspired fantasy is full of deceit, sec
Melanie
Jul 09, 2018 marked it as to-read
ARC provided by the publisher via Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review.

Blog | Instagram | Twitter | Tumblr | Youtube | Twitch
Sabrina The Trash Queen
Jul 09, 2018 marked it as to-read
This seems awesome.
Can’t wait to read it.
Emily May
Dec 29, 2018 marked it as arc-2019
Shelves: arc, fantasy, young-adult

ARC provided in exchange for honest review 🐅
Ails
5 STARS

"A truce. No killing you in your sleep, soldier. You let me live and I did the same. Now catch me if you can."

PLOT - 5
WRITING STYLE - 5
CHARACTERS - 5
ROMANCE - 5 (I would have swooned more if the male protagonist had been more... alpha. But I still think it's a great romance so I'm giving it a 5.)
UNPUTDOWNABLE LEVEL - 5

This is one of those books I’m sure majority of my YA-fantasy-lover friends will love! I have a feeling this is going to be huge.

Watch out for this book!!!
Kelly Brigid
Oct 03, 2018 marked it as to-read
How the synopsis alone is making me gush with excitement is beyond me. May I please have this book immediately please? I might die otherwise.

Blog | Instagram | Twitter | Bloglovin
Roseanne Brown
Jan 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
THE TIGER AT MIDNIGHT is without a doubt one of the best fantasy books I have ever read. Get ready to fall in love with Kunal, Esha, and a lush world as beautiful as it is dangerous. Swati's prose will have you laughing and crying and swooning, often in the same scene, and these characters stay wih long after you turn the page. 2019 can't come soon enough!
Crystal
Jan 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
THIS BOOK. Morally gray YA fantasy with a cat-and-mouse game, steamy romance, and political intrigue. I neeeed this. 2019 can't come soon enough!

SO EXCITED FOR TTAM
Kal ★ Reader Voracious
Read an excerpt of this highly anticipated 2019 debut here so you can swoon in excitement with me!
Meg
Jan 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
If you love action, epic world building, high tension hate-to-love (I'm dead, this is my ghost), and magic... I'm pretty sure you're going to need this book. Swati's writing is incredible and this debut is one you won't be able to put down. I couldn't!!!
Elise (TheBookishActress)
Jun 03, 2018 marked it as releases-2019
I really don't know what's happening in this blurb but it sounds cool
Sasha Nanua
Sep 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I just finished this GORGEOUS book yesterday and I can’t wait for you all to read it in 2019!

A cat and mouse game. A girl and boy on opposite sides of a war. I need the next book asap!
Cassie James
I received an ARC from the publisher but this doesn't influence my opinion on it in any way.

description

The Tiger at Midnight is a lush, brilliant and vibrant addition to the YA Fantasy genre.
Esha and Kunal are delightful characters whose story entranced me from the beginning till the end.
Esha is the famed, deadly and vicious assassin the Viper. She operates in secret in alliance to the Crown Prince Harun of Dharka and the rebels. They work against the tyrannous usurper King of Jasan, the opposition warr
ella ✨
Jan 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
I read this super quickly and enjoyed it so much! I loved Esha and Kunal’s relationship and I thought the world building was really well done. My only complaint is that I wish the actual romance had started earlier? Only because it’s marketed as a ‘heart-pounding romance’. Otherwise I loved it and would definitely recommend picking it up when it comes out in April 💕
anna t
Jun 30, 2018 marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2019-releases
Assassins, rebels and a kick of Hindu mythology? Take my money, I’m in! ❤ ...more
Crazy4Books
I liked our two main characters Esha and Kunal, but I never completely connected to them. I enjoyed Eshas perspective a bit more, but I feel like Kunal had more character developpement. He starts off by believing what he was taught by the military, but once he starts travelling through his country he sees the devastation caused by the royal coup. Since hes always wanted to do the right thing this new information has him struggling to find the best way to help his people, even if that means going ...more
Cindy ✩☽ Savage Queen ♔
I'm digging the cover, can't wait for this to come out!
---
Well the synopsis sounds great, and I've started to notice that Katherine Tegen Books is putting out a lot of the sorts of books I like to read so I might have found a new publisher to follow lol
Sophie Janet
Oct 10, 2018 marked it as to-read
Shelves: writing-research
Highly anticipating this...
Celia McMahon
Sep 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A huge thanks to Edelweiss and Katherine Tegan Books for allowing me an advance copy of this book to review.

This book drew me in from page one. But after reading more, I almost set it aside for next month. This was not because the story was terrible, but because I got some book mail and had other books that were higher on my Setempber reading list. But after reading one of those books and about to move on to another, I got the nagging feeling that leaving this book waiting and unfinished wasn't
Hanaa
Aug 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, ya, arc
Thank you to the publisher for providing an ARC to via Edelweiss

“Never greet a tiger at midnight,
for they are the manifestations
of your past misdeeds”

All An Ember in the ashes fans, who want to read something similar, this is the book you are looking for.

I was really excited to read this book after reading the blurb. I mean I love books with good politics, romance and mystery... and this book had all of it, but it was it wasn’t enough.
This doesn’t mean that it wasn’t a good book. I did enjoy re
Robson Gabriel
Thanks to edelweiss and Katherine Tegen Books for the early ARC.

"The Tiger at Midnight" is, for sure, a strong debut!

In a world dying because of a ritual unfulfilled, Esha (the Viper) strungles after being framed of murder she didn't committed. In the other side of the story, there's Kunal, a soldier with a mission to capture her. Swati Teerdhala creates a world full of legends and put her two heroes in a quest for survival.

The characters in "The Tiger at Midnight" are strong and diverse. Esha
Chloe
Nov 17, 2018 rated it liked it
*Spoiler free*

I have seen this book all around on Twitter and everything I've heard has been rave reviews. It wasn't one that I wanted to devour right away, but I thought I would give it a shot.

I just didn't love it. It falls firmly into the category of 'alright'.  The plot always seemed to take a direction completely different than I thought would happen. There was such amazing possibility for tension, high stakes, and good use of two POVS. But it just didn't deliver for me.

I feel like characte
Katy Pool
Sep 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a gorgeous, thrilling & romantic fantasy that completely swept me away. I was already excited by the premise of this book, and by the shocking end of the first chapter I was hooked. Swati's transportive writing took me into this world of Blood Forts, lush jungles, and magical treaties. The tension between the main characters absolutely CRACKLES and I would easily read an entire book of just their banter. But there's so much else--intrigue, magic, complex moral choices--to love in it, ...more
Olivia (The Candid Cover)
This book isn’t even out until April, but I am so pumped to get into this world. The cover is striking and the concept is one that I haven’t heard of before. A story inspired by ancient Indian history and Hindu mythology is really intriguing. The early reviews on Goodreads are calling it a cat and mouse game. Doesn’t it sound fantastic?
Sajda (Across the Words)
Really wanted to love this one but in the end thought it was just okay. It got pretty repetitive at points and it took a while for the plot to actually develop. I think like the world though and I’m think given the ending, it would be interesting to see where things go.
LaRonda (Flying Paperbacks)
Aug 28, 2018 marked it as to-read
Shelves: arcs, ebooks
*I received an eArc of this book from the Publishers through Edelweiss in exchange of an honest review*
ʙᴇʟʟᴀ.: ☾**:.☆*.:。.
Jan 07, 2019 is currently reading it
Shelves: arc
ARC provided by the publisher via Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review:D I'm so happy;3
Chelsea
Aug 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I have so many thoughts and so many feels but the main one is why did I read this book so early? The wait for the next book is going to be torture! I loved every second of this. The world is so lush and the characters so just ahhh *gushes*!
Monique V
Jun 25, 2018 marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2019
that cover makes me want to have this book right now!!
« previous 1 3 next »
Swati Teerdhala is a storyteller and writer.

After graduating from the University of Virginia with a B.S. in Finance and History, she tumbled into the marketing side of the technology industry. She’s passionate about many things, including how to make a proper cup of chai, the right ratio of curd-to-crust in a lemon tart, and diverse representation in the stories we tell.

She currently lives in New

The Tiger at Midnight Trilogy (3 books)
  • Untitled (The Tiger at Midnight Trilogy #2)
  • Untitled (The Tiger at Midnight Trilogy #3)