Start by marking “Notes on a Nervous Planet” as Want to Read:
Notes on a Nervous Planet

Notes on a Nervous Planet

4.12  ·  Rating details ·  12,289 ratings  ·  1,491 reviews
The world is messing with our minds.
Rates of stress and anxiety are rising. A fast, nervous planet is creating fast and nervous lives. We are more connected, yet feel more alone. And we are encouraged to worry about everything from world politics to our body mass index.
– How can we stay sane on a planet that makes us mad?
– How do we stay human in a technological world?
– H
Published July 5th 2018 by Canongate Books

To ask other readers questions about Notes on a Nervous Planet, please sign up.

·  12,289 ratings  ·  1,491 reviews

Liz Barnsley
Jul 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm not really going to review this properly I bought it and read it just for me really. There's nothing much I can say that I haven't said before about this author's writing and sometimes you just want to read a book to kick start your soul again.

Suffice to say that as ever after reading a Matt Haig book my faith in many many things is restored. Yes indeed.
Penelope
A truly timely and important book that everyone living on this nervous planet should read. Matt's honest and personal experiences shine through on every page and his writing is like a cup of tea and a warm blanket making you feel that no matter how crazy the world can get everything is going to be ok. I loved this book and have no hesitation recommending it to absolutely everyone, no one will finish this book without learning at least one important lesson or taking away one piece of advice that ...more
April (Aprilius Maximus)
This book gave me so much to contemplate!
Nat K
Jan 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone!

”The paradox of modern life is this: we have never been more connected, and we have never been more alone.”

Another gem from one of my favourite writers, which makes me realise why I love reading his books so much. Matt Haig has the innate ability to get inside your core and peel back the layers.

He makes you feel. He makes you think.

Whenever I start one of his books, the rest of the world falls to a blur, in slow motion. I become so engrossed in what he has to say, it’s as if time stands still.
Nadia
Apr 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was my first encounter with the work of Matt Haig and I can see why he's become so popular. In his latest book, Matt shares his observations about today's 'nervous planet' we live on, overloaded with technology and social media connecting people all over the world, yet leaving them feeling alone. Based on his own experience, Matt offers advice on how to cope with stress and anxiety, how to value and appreciate the little things in life, but also how to accept ourselves and the fact that we ...more
André Oliveira
Sep 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A book about depression, panic attacks and how to deal with them. Or at least get better at it.

Obviously, it's about a lot more subjects but Matt Haig give us some advice on how to cope with the present lifestyle and how to accept yourself and the world we currently live.
Nicola
Jul 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read Matt Haig’s previous book ‘Reasons To Stay Alive ‘ last year and absolutely loved it.It dealt with Matt’s personal battle with anxiety and depression. It was so honest you couldn’t help but be affected by the level of suffering he went through.
His follow up book ‘Notes On A Nervous Planet ‘ explores how our addiction to modern technology is making us anxious and affecting our quality of life.
Each chapter is quite short and Matt does have an uncanny way of expressing his thoughts where
Tom McLean
Jul 10, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I feel like I could write a Twitter bot that would generate this entire book. If you're the type of person who needs someone to tell you "It will be okay" a thousand different ways, then this is the book for you. I, like Matt Haig, also suffer from anxiety. But being told "it will be okay" only adds to my anxiety. I was hoping for a tool or an escape, but did not find it here. I'm glad Mr. Haig has found a profitable way to deal with his anxiety, by selling out his mantras.
Doug
Jun 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5, rounded up.

I really, REALLY liked Haig's previous 'self-help' book, Reasons to Stay Alive, even though some found it corny and simplistic. Reading this sequel, I could see why that feeling might be valid this time round. A prime reason why the previous book made an impact, is that it hewed more closely to Haig's personal history, as he shared autobiographical stories from which he gleaned his insights - here, there are far fewer such examples, so it just seems like a stream of platitudes -
littlemiss_emmxx
I had heard this book was a sort of follow on from Reasons To Stay Alive. I read Reasons To Stay Alive while I was on holiday in January. And loved it read it in 2 or 3 days and ended up having to start it again as I hadn't thought I would finish it so quickly.

Clearly it took me a bit longer to read this but that's because I'm not on holiday this time. I couldn't wait that long to read it.

I just love Matt Haigs writing. It is so honest and truthful. This will definitely be recommended as much
Emily B
Jan 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very accessible book written by Matt Haig.
I love the way it’s formatted and compiled of lists and short chapters.

The subject matter is very relevant and I found it explored issues and anxieties concerning modern life and social media that have been at the back of my mind for a while.
Alexa Petre
As much as I respect and appreciate Matt Haig, I cannot give more than 2 stars to this book. First of all, it's very messy, and although he even mentions in the book that he deliberately wanted to write a messy book, it actually feels like a bunch of blog posts cluttered together in a book, without much structure and flow to it, especially since he repeats himself numerous times throughout it. I just couldn't help thinking I was reading a bunch of shallow self-help articles, full of truisms and ...more
Lauren Hartley
As discussed in the book, everyone has different opinions on books and I loved Reasons to Stay Alive but this I found really boring.
This book was very rambly and induced stress rather than prevent it. I found his last book actually had a story to it whereas this was just quoting other books and repeating what they said. The amount of chapters and paragraphs which. Were. All. One. Word. Sentences. Drove me insane by the end!
Victoria
Jul 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
His best book yet! The perfect antidote to our messy world! I love all Matt Haig’s books and this was still even better than I had anticipated! Just buy it, read it, talk about and love it! This world is a better place with this book in it .
Zohal
Sep 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 Stars

"It’s all right that the world is crazy, as long as I make my little corner of the world sane." Diane Lockhart from The Good Fight.

The above quote perfectly summarises this book. I read this in one setting which rarely happens these days. This has given me so much to think about it. It was so raw and so very from the heart. I don't suffer from anxiety yet I felt as though Matt Haig put the deepest depths of my soul onto the page. I guarantee everyone will relate to at least one commen
Lindsey
Jul 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just read it :)
Megan
Jul 23, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I hardly ever dnf a book. Now trust me when I say I know that this book is just like Haig's others; ones that I do like, The Humans is actually one of my all-time favourites. I stopped a little over 200 pages in and I realised he would be repeating the same messages over and over again, I got the gist and was to be honest irritated. He did hit a few aspects of modern culture on the head but at some points it came off like a middle aged man complaining about youth culture, which it is essentially ...more
Tim Rideout
Jul 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
‘Kindness spring-cleans the soul.’

Reading ‘Notes on a Nervous Planet’ is like being given a new pair of spectacles. It makes everything clearer.

Matt Haig writes with humility, wisdom, clarity, honesty, humour and kindness about his own mental illness and efforts to improve his mental health. In doing so he is a source of great help to others. I read this book quickly - it will stay with me for a very long time.

Yet another remarkable book from Matt.
Paul
Sep 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-read-2018
The modern world is fast and relentless, our connection to the internet that means we have a never-ending stream of notifications, jobs that come with a phone and almost permanent on call. Our nerves are jangled constantly. It feel like you are in a race that you can never win and standing still doesn't feel like an option. Yet in the world of 24 / 7 connections to family, friends and strangers around the world, people have never been more alone.

In this modern world, can we stay sane?

This is the
Anni
Oct 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Distracted from distraction by distraction"
(T.S. Eliot' - The Four Quartets)

If you feel like shouting “Stop the world, I want to get off!" on a daily basis, then this is the book for you. Following on from his bestselling “Reasons to stay Alive”, Matt Haig here explores whether it is possible to stay sane in a mad world, offering useful suggestions for coping with our addiction to modern technology along with its attendant information overload.
(The suggestion I find most useful is the one abo
Heather
Jun 16, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
The world is a nervous system. Everything is connected and it's difficult to switch off, even for your own sake. Notes on a Nervous Planet makes you stop, think, consider your own interactions with the world around you and how it seeps into your life. Most of all it makes you hope it's possible to truly disconnect, whatever that means for the individual, and find your own sense of calm to catch your breath amidst the noise of the bustling world around us. A hopeful book.
Rita Araújo
Sep 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“Find the hope that is already here and help it grow” ❤ ...more
Sarah Dorothea
5 out of 5 stars! ⭐ After having read Matt Haig’s last non‑fiction book, 'Reasons to Stay Alive', I was utterly amazed by his second oeuvre. 'Notes on a Nervous Planet' is not so much a “reasons to” as a “how to” guide, for all those readers who responded so powerfully to the last book. This book follows a similar format: short chapters, concisely written, with lots of numbered lists – just right for an audience whose attention, Haig argues, is being stretched painfully thin by 24-hour rolling n ...more
Jo
Jan 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is raw and real. Highly recommend to anyone struggling with anxiety and mental illness- it is a read that will show you that you are not alone. Also highly recommend to those not struggling with mental illness but are simply broad-minded enough to want to understand those who do.

Matt Haig writes of our nervous planet. Nervous, yes, but also "[a] planet where we can breathe and live and fall in love and eat peanut butter on toast and say hello to dogs and dance to music and read Bonjour
Katie.g
May 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
“Maybe the point of life is to give up certainty and to embrace life’s beautiful uncertainty”

4.5 nervous stars!

I’d heard a lot about Matt Haig’s short book on anxiety; from other reviewers on Goodreads and one of my work colleagues. I was craving something non-fiction and kept seeing it in the supermarket so decided to give it a try.

I’ve experienced my fair share of anxiety in the past and have developed my own coping strategies. I picked this book up not knowing quite what to expect. It’s a c
Vivek Tejuja
Jul 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a world of nerves. Of nervousness (as the title rightly suggests), of anxiety and of excess. Everything is in excess and we do not know when to stop or how to control our lives. We are constantly on the edge and losing the very essence of being human. Our lives are spiraling out of control and we perhaps do not know what to do. Matt Haig’s books are about mental health issues we face, the ones he has faced and continues to. The only difference is that he speaks about it, Haig communicate ...more
Alisha
The only thing I don't like about this book is that it wasn't around when I was a teenager.

Firstly, I just want to say that this book is physically stunning. Beneath the dust jacket, the hardcover is all the colours of the rainbow and it's lovely. I also think the size is great, it's compact and smaller than most of the newer books on my bookcase. I'm also lucky enough to have a signed copy.

This is a comforting, reassuring read for the most part, much like The Humans, only this one, of course,
Siobhan
Notes on a Nervous Planet is Matt Haig's somewhat sequel to Reasons To Stay Alive, in which he looks at the pace and panic of today's world and considers it through the lens of his own mental health issues, particularly anxiety. The style is very similar to the earlier book: short chapters with lots of lists and short sentences, emphasising his own suggestions and advice.

The book has plenty of interesting thoughts and things to consider, particularly around technology and around how mental healt
Cheeky Cher
Jul 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
4 stars - It was great. I loved it.

A thought provoking look at how rapidly our society has changed over the last 20 years with the advent of modern technological advances. I found a multitude of quotable passages and interesting tidbits. I’m a fan of Haig’s writing, be it fiction or nonfiction.

-------------------------------------------
Favorite Quote: It sometimes feels as if we have temporarily solved the problem of scarcity and replaced it with the problem of excess.

First Sentence: I was stre
liz
Jul 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Matt Haig has done it again: written a highly thought-provoking book which has made me want to better myself and enrich my life.

I am so glad that I was able to meet him last week and tell him how much his books mean to me because this book perfectly encapsulates why his work is so excellent.

• The Self-Care Project: How to let go of frazzle and make time for you
  • Bookworm: A Memoir of Childhood Reading
  • Anxiety: The Missing Stage of Grief: A Revolutionary Approach to Understanding and Healing the Impact of Loss
  • How to Survive the End of the World (When it's in Your Own Head)
  • How to Build a Universe: An Infinite Monkey Cage Adventure
  • Mind Your Head
  • Kindness: The Little Thing that Matters Most
  • The Reading Cure: How Books Restored My Appetite
  • Lost For Words
Matt Haig was born in Sheffield, England in1975. He writes books for both adults and children, often blending the worlds of domestic reality and outright fantasy, with a quirky twist. His bestselling novels are translated into 28 languages. The Guardian has described his writing as 'delightfully weird' and the New York Times has called him 'a novelist of great talent' whose writing is 'funny, rive ...more
“Reading isn’t important because it helps to get you a job. It’s important because it gives you room to exist beyond the reality you’re given. It is how humans merge. How minds connect. Dreams. Empathy. Understanding. Escape.” 54 likes
“Perhaps when we find ourselves wanting everything it is because we are dangerously near to wanting nothing.’ —Sylvia Plath” 15 likes