Start by marking “The Winter of the Witch (Winternight Trilogy, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Winter of the Witch (Winternight Trilogy, #3)

The Winter of the Witch

(Winternight Trilogy #3)

4.52  ·  Rating details ·  21,703 ratings  ·  3,628 reviews
One girl can make a difference...

Moscow is in flames, leaving its people searching for answers – and someone to blame. Vasilisa, a girl with extraordinary gifts, must flee for her life, pursued by those who blame their misfortune on her magic.

Then a vengeful demon returns, stronger than ever. Determined to engulf the world in chaos, he finds allies among men and spirits. M
Published January 10th 2019 by Del Rey (first published January 8th 2019)

To ask other readers questions about The Winter of the Witch, please sign up.
Dawn Of course you can. It’s out now go find it and follow the enchantment.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Carly
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

·  21,703 ratings  ·  3,628 reviews

Chaima ✨ شيماء
There are seven wonders in the world, and this book is all of them.

The experience of reading The Winter of the Witch is something akin to being surrounded by magic. Yet, those are still such pale, passive words for what this story was. After the wonder and elation of reading this book and flying in so real-seeming a dream, I now feel such an obscure sense of loss, like something essential is inexplicably gone. A sudden absence, creating a space for the too bright, too sharp world to rush into.
Emily May
Mar 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“Beware the forest,” she added, following Vasya to the door. “It does not take kindly to strangers.”

It's over 😔. But it was most definitely a beautiful and fitting ending.

I've owned this book since it released on January 8, but I've been reluctant to start it. Partly because it was the final book, and partly because I was worried it wouldn't be as good as I'd been hoping it would be. But Arden didn't let me down. This finale was every bit as gorgeous and magical as the first two books.

My revie
Melanie

ARC given to me by my amazingly kind friend, who I don't deserve, but who has made my entire year - Lilly at Lair of Books!

1.) The Bear and the Nightingale ★★★★★
2.) The Girl in the Tower ★★★★★

This is a hard review for me to write, because I think my heart doesn’t want to admit that this series is finally over. But it is, and this concluding book was everything I wanted. I cr
Miranda Reads
Mar 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya-series, audiobook
description

She bent forward to breathe into his ear: "Never give me orders."

"Command me, then," he whispered back. The words went through her like wine.
Moscow is beset with danger and Vasya has only made it worse.

Her betrayal of the crown prince is still rocking the country, and there are many waiting in the wings to take advantage.

And yet, in many ways, her life has become so much more than what it was.
“I am a witch,” said Vasya. Blood was running down her hand now, spoiling her grip. “I have plu
kath | novelandfolk
You know that feeling when you find a book that speaks to some deep part of your soul and you just want to shout:

‘THIS is why I read!’?

This folkloric trilogy has become that for me, reminding me of all the reasons why I love literature.

It’s not a secret that I loved the first two books in this deep-winter tale with the burning fire of a thousand suns. So you can imagine how much I needed this book in my hands, and also how stressful a thing it is to embark into the last instalment of a beloved
jessica
Jan 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
it has been said that those who do not believe in magic will never find it, and this book is physical proof that magic does exist.

every page, every word, every letter made its way into my heart, which began to beat in a steady and strong rhythm of “i believe, i believe, i believe.”

this story, this trilogy, has woven itself into the very fabric of soul and will forever be a part of me. a truly captivating tale that has made me fall in love with reading all over again.

and as i have come to the
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
ALL THE STARS AND MORE.

description
Russian firebird

Review first posted on Fantasy Literature:

Medieval Russia comes to life in Katherine Arden’s WINTERNIGHT TRILOGY, which began in Lesnaya Zemlya, a small village in northern Rus’ in The Bear and the Nightingale and continued in The Girl in the Tower. Vasilisa (Vasya) is a young woman with the rare ability to see and speak with the natural spirits or chyerti of the hearth, stables, and lands and waters of Rus’. Vasya has gained the attention and respect of t
Amalia Gavea
‘’Yesterday she saved your life, slew a wicked magician, set fire to Moscow and then saved it all in a single night. Do you think she will consent to disappear, for the price of a dowry- for any price? Do you know my sister?’’

It is seldom that the third book of a trilogy ends up being the finest. However, this is exactly what happened with The Winter of the Witch. The final installment of a saga created with absolute beauty and dark grace by Katherine Arden is one to remember and cherish, in a
Candace Robinson
Do-do-do-do-do ... so I fought back and forth with this book the whole read. I was bored a lot during the first 40%, then things got interesting, then I got bored again, then things were magnanimous. But, Frost Demon, you make every scene you are in worth reading. I seriously think I would have enjoyed it more if he had his own POV. Like we get POVs from a lot of others, but never my boy! Whyyyyyyyy nottttttttt??????????

At times my issues came with Vasya. I felt sometimes she needed more emotion
Paromjit
Katherine Arden completes the wonder that is the stellar Winternight trilogy, and leaves me in pieces, distraught with a deep sense of loss that this is the end. This is epic storytelling as it begins with the ashes of Moskva and a traumatised people susceptible to the charismatic priest Konstantin, a man overcome by a maelstrom of feelings, with fear of Vasya dominating. Branded a witch and pariah, Vasya is to be tested beyond human endurance, acquiring a fire within, wracked with grief and los ...more
Debra
Dec 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
"There is nothing but power in this world. People are divided into those who have it and those who have it not. Which will you be....."

There is a lot of power in the final book of the Winternight Trilogy. This book starts off where The Girl in the Tower ends. If you have not read the first two books in the series, it is imperative that you read them first otherwise you will not know what is going on in this book.

I am not even going to attempt to give a synopsis of the book. There is just so muc
Hannah
Jan 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: loved-it, arc, fantasy
I adored this beyond measure.

I am a huge fan of this trilogy, have been ever since reading the very first chapter of the first book. I was both super excited and a bit apprehensive before reading this book – but I didn’t have to worry because Katherine Arden absolutely sticks the landing here. This book is both a great conclusion to this brilliant series as well as a great book in its own right.

What Arden does better than most authors I read is building an atmosphere so immersive I become lost i
Lucy Langford
Mar 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
5*****

”I have plucked snowdrops at Midwinter, died at my own choosing, and wept for a nightingale. Now I am beyond prophecy.”

Enchanting !
More action packed than the other two books but still maintains all of its magical elements and folklore. This book picks up straight after book 2 so we get to learn what happens of Vasya, Morozko, The Bear, Vasya’s family and Father Constantine, as well as many others. This book introduces us to more magical folklore, see Vasya use her magical skills, we get
Nick
Jan 22, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I swear this series has the most beautiful covers ever.
Nastassja

**Review is posted here on my blog**

Real rating: 4.5 stars

Who is to say, in the end, that the three guardians of Russia are not a witch, a frost-demon, and a chaos-spirit? I find it fitting.
-Katherine Arden, The Winter of the Witch

I am sitting in front of a window, watching snow slowly drifting down from the sky, covering the ground with the carpet of pristine white. Frost and cold. I am thinking about the fairy-tales from faraway memory that, once upon a time, made me shiver with dread and e

Leah
1-12-19 So I’ve sung this trilogy’s praises since THE BEAR AND THE NIGHTINGALE and I will continue to declare my love for these books.

Where do I start? I was bawling my eyes out in the first 30 pages and couldn’t stop for a good twenty minutes. The action scenes are engaging. The writing still moves with the dreamy beauty of a fairy tale. We learn more about Vasya’s legacy, which is just as mystical as readers of the series imagined.

And yet I had some minor quibbles. I had some issues with Vas
Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader
5 stars!

I feel like this is a non-review because it was so hard to write and pinpoint the experience of reading this book and series. In short, I absolutely loved it.

Wow, this book. If you are a fan of this series, it’s one you just have to jump into; don’t read reviews. Experience every word. Every mesmerizing thought of this masterful author. I’m going to keep my review brief to protect all the fun. In fact, I think this is truly a mini review.

Moscow is in ruins, and Vasya is blamed for ever
Holly
I realize it's only January, but I predict this will be one of my favorite books I read this year. This trilogy, what can I say about it without spoiling anything for those who have not read it yet? Well, if you took some Russian history and folklore, some historical misogyny and religious zealotry, a fantastic heroine, two very interesting sets of twins, some romance, some family drama, death, chaos, and redemption - you would get this series. It will be like nothing you have read before (well, ...more
Lily ☁️
3 1/2 stars

I’ve been pondering over how to review The Winter of the Witch for the longest time, and I simply couldn’t find the right words, or the right way to start. In the end, I decided to go about writing my review in a different way for this book, because it’s … special.

Instead of pointing out the many, many aspects of it that absolutely amazed me (and there were many),
Roshani Chokshi
Gosh, I love this trilogy. It's seriously one of my all time favorites and it 100% takes you somewhere else...to a winter-steeped land, where the frost grows like flowers, and it's cold but you're full of warmth. Arden has created something lyrical, epic, full of midnight roads, sly-eyed demons, exquisite romance and characters so colorful & vivid they appear myth-hued. This trilogy is joining my seasonal reread favorites along with UPROOTED by Naomi Novik and WILDWOOD DANCING by Juliette Ma ...more
Phrynne
Mar 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful finale to this excellent trilogy.

Katherine Arden excels at world building and the book lives and breathes old Russia, its weather, its way of life and its beliefs. All those wonderful house spirits and Chyerti who existed only as long as the people believed. And the golden haired, charismatic Priest, Konstantin, who could rouse a huge crowd to any action he wished (with a little help from a devil).

By book three I was of course very attached to the main characters. It was great to wa
Zoeytron
Copy furnished by Net Galley for the price of a review.

The bear has awakened, and the dead are beginning to walk.  A horse of fire, a laughing skeleton, a shadow of claws, and a bird with a woman's face.  In the vast realm of Midnight, some shocking family ties are exposed.  Allegiances and betrayals.  A grievous loss.  Will the nightingale remain silent and frozen, or return to sing another day?

I was utterly bewitched and transfixed with this trilogy.  Divulging a secret here, this one almost
♆Hayley (TheVillainousReader)
“Come with me, Snegurochka. I know a house in a winter forest.”

Furthest Things I've Learned in 2019 Thus Far:
❄I am utterly destroyed by this series.
❄I need Morozko to come help me bang out the feelings I have after finishing this amazing and epic story. So many
F E E L S.
❄I hate mushrooms, but Ded Grib is the cutest and maybe I don't hate mushrooms so much now.
❄Everything about Midnight is one of the coolest things I've ever read.
❄I was not prepared.

Like, wow, what an epically beautiful and
Elyse Walters
Feb 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was one of the most beautiful trilogies with Russian history with a heroine to love.
All the male and female characters are strong - be it good or evil.
Wonderful storytelling....folklore- myth- rich Russian history ...
magical - mystical - sparkling prose - with a powerful wisdom.
From the past two books ....
Vasya- orphaned - was cast out as a witch by her village. She had a few options.... both would leave her doomed to a life in a tower...neither ideal.
She would be cut off from the rest of
Cheri
”‘There will be snowdrops along the way,’ said Vasya.”
-- The Girl in the Tower, by Katherine Arden

In January of 2017, Katherine Arden introduced us to Vasya (Vasilisa) in the first book in this Winternight Trilogy, with The Bear and the Nightingale, and followed up in December of 2017 with ”The Girl in the Tower.” With her third, and final book in this series, she has brought us a gratifying and heartwarming conclusion that surpassed any hopes I had.
In her first book, almost from the begin
Eliza
4 / 5 ~

As a whole, I adored this series. I adored the magic, intrigue, folklore, writing … However, as a finale to the series, The Winter of the Witch disappointed me a teeny-tiny bit. A four-star rating is still good, definitely; but this novel rates slightly under its predecessors, in my humble opinion.

Interestingly enough, when looking at all three books in the Winternight Trilogy, I would argue The Winter of the Witch had the strongest moments of writing even though it was my least favorite
Karen
Dec 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This Russian Fairytale-like Winternight Trilogy has brought me such enjoyment the past three winters, I’m sad that it has come to an end! So much real Russian history with the added elements of demons and mythical creatures just took me over in The Bear and The Nightingale (my favorite)
The Girl in The Tower was also very enjoyable!

In this latest/last book, Vasya, Morozko, The Bear and many other magical/mythical creatures work together to save Russia. It was a little slower for me then the first
Umut Reviews
Jan 04, 2019 rated it liked it
I loved this trilogy and I love Katherine Arden's writing. I would read from her again, anytime.
However, this book specifically felt like a forced extension to the story. It was slower than the other books and I didn't feel it flowed naturally. It just didn't grip me.
So, I wish it finished as a duology.

But again, as an overall series, I loved the idea, the characters, Arden's writing style, so I'd definitely pick up her next book.
Jenna
Jun 15, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Maybe I waited too long in between reading the second book in this series and the third, but I didn't love this one as much as I did the other two. The first half of the book I had to keep looking up who the characters were, though I was sufficiently drawn into the story to keep with it. However, by mid-point, I found my attention waning and by the last 100 pages, I had to force myself through them. I wanted to finish the book to end the series, but wow was it a chore to get through those last p ...more
Sara
I have so much to say about this book that I’ve been holding back reviewing it until I had time to fully invest myself in my thoughts. I know it’s only March, but I think this is my favourite read of 2019 and it’ll be pretty tough to beat.

In the third book of the Winternight Trilogy we follow Vasya immediately on from the conclusion to The Girl in the Tower. There’s no time to catch your breath, no month long interval, it’s straight into the heart of the action and issues surrounding Vasya and

• The Harp of Kings (Warrior Bards, #1)
  • The Kingdom of Copper (The Daevabad Trilogy, #2)
  • The Deepest Blue
  • The Iron Season (The Golem and the Jinni, #2)
  • The Memory of Fire (The Waking Land, #2)
  • The True Queen (Sorcerer Royal, #2)
  • Court of Lions (Mirage, #2)
  • The Traitor's Kingdom (The Traitor's Circle, #3)
  • The Devil's Colony
  • A Gathering of Ghosts
  • The Dark Days Pact (Lady Helen, #2)
  • The Demon Prince (Ars Numina, #2)
  • Sorcery of Thorns
  • The Mortal Word (The Invisible Library, #5)
  • The Way Past Winter
  • In an Absent Dream (Wayward Children, #4)
  • The Dragon Republic (The Poppy War, #2)
  • A Cathedral of Myth and Bone
A note to everyone who trips and falls upon my Goodreads page. First, welcome. Let us read and discuss all the books together. Second, Goodreads is wondrous, but contacting me through my Goodreads DMs is a good way to ensure a long wait for a reply. Your best bet is Twitter or Instagram (arden_katherine) on both.

Happy reading.

Born in Texas, Katherine studied French and Russian at Middlebury Coll

Winternight Trilogy (3 books)
  • The Bear and the Nightingale (Winternight Trilogy, #1)
  • The Girl in the Tower (Winternight Trilogy, #2)
“I have plucked snowdrops at Midwinter, died at my own choosing, and wept for a nightingale. Now I am beyond prophecy.” 49 likes
“She bent forward to breathe into his ear: "Never give me orders."
"Command me, then," he whispered back. The words went through her like wine.”
29 likes