Start by marking “Riwenne & the Mechanical Beasts (Divine Warriors #1)” as Want to Read:
Riwenne & the Mechanical Beasts (Divine Warriors #1)

Riwenne & the Mechanical Beasts

(Divine Warriors #1)

A clumsy school girl with the magic of a goddess. Mechanical beasts attacking her friends. Can she become a divine warrior and save the floating city?

Published January 24th 2018 by Kristen S. Walker

To ask other readers questions about Riwenne & the Mechanical Beasts, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Riwenne & the Mechanical Beasts

Start your review of Riwenne & the Mechanical Beasts (Divine Warriors #1)
Mel (Epic Reading)
Aug 01, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc-booksirens
DNF @ 30%

I always get so excited about steampunk books and I'm always (seemingly) disappointed these days. You'd think I would learn. Is it because so many steampunk books are YA? Or because they are often written by new/debut authors? What is it about steampunk that the big three publishers are so afraid of?
In a nutshell it seems to me that there are three major problems that steampunk books have (and Riwenne & the Mechanical Beasts was no exception):
1) Believability. I'm not sure why it's s
Kaitlin
Oct 19, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: spfbo-2019
* I read this as a judge for the #SPFBO*

This book was a super easy read but it also felt as though it was aimed quite young. Personally I felt as though this story didn't surprise or grip me, I was just told the events as they happened.

We follow a young girl called Riwenne and one of her best friends, Nex. They're about to go through the ceremony where they get sorted into their new careers, and it's a fun concept from the start.

I actually think the idea of the mechanical beasts being the enemy
Riddhi
Oct 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Totally new and intriguing series. It made me fall in love with the characters and the world of the book. A very thrilling and awesome book with many twists and surprising turns.
I received a free review copy of this book and I am voluntarily leaving a review.
Debbie Eyre
Oct 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a great steampunk fantasy series, a well written story filled with adventure, magical girls and monstrous machines and is based in a fantastic world built by this author! A fun quick coming of age read that I really enjoyed and would recommend!
Erin
Nov 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Interesting mix of fantasy. Steampunk mixed with others creating a well written story line. Enjoyed the characters of Riwenne and Nexita. Recommended read.
Sissy Lu {Book Savvy Reviews}
This story was adventurous and fun. I enjoyed the mythology entwined with science fiction. I didn't connect with the characters as much as I'd like, but I did enjoy the world aspects.
Jimena Novaro
Jun 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
I've followed Kristen's writing for years, and her books never fail to delight. "Riwenne and the Mechanical Beasts" is a fun, quick read with fantastic worldbuilding and compelling characters. I was hooked from the beginning on the intriguing idea that all children in the floating city of Lyndamon are essentially raised by the state and don't know their parents, and the world only got more intriguing from there. I was especially drawn to the pantheon of gods who feature heavily in the story, mak ...more
Seraphia
Riwenne and the Mechanical Beasts is book one in Kristen S. Walker’s Divine Warrior series. Riwenne and her best friend Nexita are preparing for the biggest day of their lives…Choosing Day. This is the day when they will be chosen by the gods into their apprenticeships and that is where they will serve. Both girls hope that they will be priestesses, but it seems that Fate has other plans. Riwenne is special though. She has a connection to one of the goddesses. She wishes to understand more, but ...more
Allison Springer
Nov 17, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019
I received this book as an ARC and am giving it my honest review.

I liked how this book started out: a new world to be built with interesting characters. A new pantheon to explore. A new adventure. After Riwenne encountered her second 'companion', the story started to become redundant and predictable. I almost put the book down at that point. I was bored. I decided I had made a commitment to writing a review so I pushed myself through to the end.

The last few chapters the pace definitely picked up
Billie
Mar 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fifteen-year-old Riwenne is bad at school, chronically late, and lost in a daydream, but she has help from her best friend, Nexita—until the two of them get separated. During the mysterious test on Choosing Day, they both wanted to become priestesses, an important job in the sky city. But only Riwenne became a novice, and Nexita was chosen by the e
Angie
Oct 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First off, a caveat. I signed up for Kristen S. Walker’s author emails and took her up on the offer to review a copy of the third book in this series, Riwenne & The Airship Gambit (Divine Warriors Book 3). I liked the first chapter so much that I signed up to review the first two books and read them from start to finish over a weekend, then jumped back into book three. I highly recommend reading this steampunk series in order.
Okay, so here’s the deal…Riwenne (great name, by the way), our compli
Douglas Williamson
Jul 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Our heroine must leave her childhood friend behind to follow the path selected for her, but that doesn't mean she has to like it.

This is a young adult, steampunk novel set in an alternate London. This is the first book in this setting, so we get a fair amount of world building, which is very helpful in setting the stage. This is a very detailed setting and we will need all the help we can get.

The characters are well developed, each with their own unique characteristics that provide a depth that
Jessica
Sep 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received a free copy in exchange for an honest review.

I wasn't really sure how I was going to feel about this book from the start. It almost seemed like a rushed Harry Potter house sorting at the beginning. We got a brief idea about what was happening then the main character was separated from her best friend. I feel like there could've been a little more introduction and development to ease us into the story.

After that, things moved quickly and, for me, the story just kept getting more intere
Stacy Spoonster
Apr 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Riwenne & the Mechanical Beasts

I was given a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. This is a great, faced paced novel filled with interesting characters. As an added bonus, it is a Steampunk novel which I love. The story is really well written. I couldn't put it down because I wanted to know more about everything. I loved that Walker created a parallel between the characters and the god/goddesses she created. It was a nice detail to show how everything comes full circle. The world
Linda
May 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
STARS, what a good novel! I rapidly read this book and it's appropriate for YA and teens, both boys and girls. I liked that fifteen year old Riwenne stuck by her long time friend even though she wasn't selected to become a priestess and how Riwenne always tried to include her in everything that she did. Mechanical beasts are attacking people in the floating city and she is chosen by one of the gods to become a sacred warrior to fight the evil. Between her duties as a priestess in training during ...more
Sara Wortman
Aug 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: booksirens
I received an advance review copy for free from BookSirens, and I am leaving this review voluntarily. Overall, I enjoyed this steampunk fantasy novel! This coming of age novel is about a girl named Riwenne. Riwenne lives in a futuristic society where people are chosen to work in different fields. Riwenne is picked to train as a priestess. Her best friend Nexita was chosen to work as an engineer. Along the way, Riwenne is summoned by the sea goddess! The sea goddess sends a talking bird named Tik ...more
David
Aug 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
not yer typical coming of age, high school fantasy thing(that's what they all say?) like the steampunk angle. 1/7 of the way thru as I write this, n lovin' it, couldn't wait any longer to review, pretty much hooked-update, halfway thru n still lovin' it. she's too adorable. fer me, story reaches that level of beauty that evokes giggles, n clouds vision(yes literally). if you like the coming of age fantasy thing, i think i can use the words"must read"-update, so gandalf told me he's impressed, fu ...more
Lyn Mckenzie
Aug 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book through kindle unlimited after reading the novella about Amena.

I really loved this book. I love the world that this book is based in and I am so impressed at this author's imagination and creativity! This storyline was extremely compelling and you can't wait to find out what happens next in this storyline. The end was heart breaking but I can't wait to see where it goes!

The characters are amazing in this book and although Amena is in it, it isn't only about her and I loved find
Paula Ptomey
Sep 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a great fantasy story with steampunk themes. Kristen Walker's book Riwenne and the Mechanical Beasts is a story of a young girl receiving her "choosing" (aka calling) for life. She gets the choice she hoped for, but her best friend does not. How will she survive without her best friend by her side? Will she be able to befriend her new roommate? Is she really hearing the gods call? This is a fast moving story with many unexplained twists. And the conclusion will you hanging and wanting to re ...more
Jean Valéry
Dec 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I did not know Kristen Walker and this is the first book from her I read.
I have liked the rather original setting (a mix of steampunk and of various gods).
I have also had the feeling this book is giving a lot of exposition but without yet explaining a lot about the origins of the society it describes.
I regret slightly the turmoils felt by the heroine with some other protagonists and certain changes of heart to be a bit brutally set without too much background explaining this...but like I said
Chad Barrus
Aug 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book and would recommend it especially to young adult readers. I thought the characters were well thought out and were believable
In their interactions with each other.

There were a few surprises at the end which is the perfect lead in to the 2nd book in the series: Riwenne and the Bionic Witches. The story kept my attention and was a page turner as I had to see what was going to happen next.

I look forward to reading the second book and would like to invite you who see this to com
Teri Griffis
Apr 10, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received an ebook from Story Origin and this is my voluntary and honest review. This is not my usual genre, I usually read mystery or suspense. Even though this it was not my usual I'm glad I picked it up. It was a new and exciting adventure. Ms. Walker has done a great job writing a novel that most people would probably walk on by but they would be missing a "trip on the downhill ski slope"; wind flying in your face and full of exhilaration. Give it a try, everyone should "try skiing at least ...more
Olivia
Jun 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
A good start to a series.

The introduction to characters made it easy to connect to each one, and each one had a unique voice that allows the reader to follow the narrative to make the reading easy.

This is obviously aimed at at a YA audience. However, it does not mire itself into some of the self absorbance that other books may indulge in, which pays credit to the author herself.

This is a good book that makes the reader not want to be far from it, and keep returning to find out how the tale unfo
Janet
Aug 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An excellent story. A new world that has very old Gods. It is a wonder, it feels so alive. You could walk into it today and know what is all going on. Very well written and the plot is good also. There is excitement and danger to add a flair. I will be looking forward to the next to see what will happen. I received a complimentary review copy of the book and I am voluntarily leaving a honest review.
Vicki
Mar 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow, just wow! This is my first time reading this genre and I am amazed by how much I enjoyed this book.
Fast paced, well written, lots of human character unfolding into an amazing story.
Loved it and am straight into the next book.

Can recommend it to any one who enjoys a good, fast paced story involving magic and machinery.

I was given this book free to read and am delighted to give my honest review.
Phthon
Oct 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I wasn’t too sure when I started reading this story but it soon proved itself to be a phenomenal story! Riwenne seemed to be s bit of a ditz at first but I quickly grew to really like her. She is loyal, smart, and brave. I enjoyed getting to know all the Divine Warriors and I can’t wait to find out where this will go!
Margarita Rose
Apr 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a new genre for me. Twists and turns that you can't expect but some parts go the way you hope them to go. Tear jerker in a couple of places. This is a great idea and I couldn't put it down. Started to read this book and had to get the rest of the series. Quick paced and likeable characters. You begin to imagine that you are truly there. I received ARC copy and this is my honest opinion.
Allison Scheler
Jul 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good read

I didn’t get into this book as quickly as I would’ve liked. I felt that it started off fairly slow and predictable. However, I ended up enjoying it once I got past the first quarter.
Frank Geimer
Oct 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
While I really do not read "Steampunk", I really got into this story. It is a great first story in the series and is chock full of action and adventure that doesn't quit. I thoroughly enjoyed it and think everyone will that gives it a chance.
David Campbell
Needs some editing and definite work on dialogue and action sequences.

Not horrible for what is apparently an YA book, but not worth continuing the series. Sad as I was hoping to find a new good steampunk series.

• Ghost Mortem (Ghost Detective #1)
  • Justicar Jhee and the House of Sorrows (The Justicar Jhee Mysteries, #3)
  • The Dastardly Dragon Killer and the Poisoned Breath (Point Muse #2)
  • The Light of Eternity (Eternity's Empire Collection #1)
  • A Brush with Fire (The Vampire Hunters of Eversfield Academy: Book 4)
  • Witch Way to Secrets and Sorcery (Witch Way #6)
  • Heathen: Volume 2 (Heathen, #2)
  • Blue Moon Investigations Ten Book Bundle
  • Perception: Apparition Investigations, Book 1
  • Hunter's Quest: A Mayhem of Magic World Story (Rebel, Supernatural Bounty Hunter Book 1)
  • The Good Food Revolution: Growing Healthy Food, People, and Communities
  • Dragonseer (Secicao Blight Book 1)
  • The Wedding Dress
  • Weaken the Knees (The Immortal World, #6)
  • The Ghost is Clear (Ghost Detective #3)
  • The Edge Creek Light (The Braddock & Gray Case Files #1)
  • A Weapon of Magical Destruction (Agents of A.S.S.E.T. #1)
  • The Fae & The Fallen (Gifted Fae Academy #1)
Kristen S. Walker is a fantasy writer, blogger, and geek from California.

She grew up in small towns in Northern California, running around barefoot in the woods and climbing trees with a notebook to write down stories. She lives with her family, including one rescued cat, in a house full of books.

She writes and self-publishes fantasy novels for teens and adults.

Divine Warriors (4 books)
  • Riwenne & the Bionic Witches (Divine Warriors, #2)
  • Riwenne & the Airship Gambit (Divine Warriors, #3)
  • Riwenne & the Electrical Prophecy (Divine Warriors #4)