Start by marking “contes des particulers (Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children, #0.5)” as Want to Read:
contes des particulers (Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children, #0.5)

contes des particulers

(Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children 0.5)

4.16  ·  Rating details ·  20,655 ratings  ·  2,468 reviews
Before Miss Peregrine gave them a home, the story of peculiars was written in the Tales.

215 pages
Published January 3rd 2018 by le livre de poche jeunesse (first published September 3rd 2016)

To ask other readers questions about contes des particulers, please sign up.
Shelley No, not at all. This is a collection of short stories and while it helps to have the context of peculiar folklore, this book is entirely outside the…moreNo, not at all. This is a collection of short stories and while it helps to have the context of peculiar folklore, this book is entirely outside the storyline of the series (just some familiar characters)(less)

·  20,655 ratings  ·  2,468 reviews

Miranda Reads
I am (generally) not a fan of tie-in novels but consider me converted.

Throughout the Peculiar Children series, they refer to this storybook. There weren't as many stories as I expected (only 10). As with the original series, the powers are inventive, the plot is quirky and the stories are fun.

The Splendid Cannibal - A population of peculiars can regrow limbs at will. A group of hungry cannibals move in next door and are willing to pay. Soon comes a story of greed and loss -though not on the sid
Hailey (Hailey in Bookland)
I absolutely adored this. Review to come!
Nat
Sep 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-stories
Tales of the Peculiar is a collection of 10 short stories featuring the peculiars most beloved folklore. I have yet to read the peculiar trilogy by Ransom Riggs, but since I absolutely loved his Talking Pictures, I decided to give this one a go. And it was one of the best decisions I made today.

“Passed down from generation to generation since time immemorial, each story is part history, part fairy tale, and part moral lesson aimed at young peculiars. These tales hail from various parts of the gl
Ben Alderson
Loved some, didn't love others!

Nice to dive back into this world!
Wendy Darling
Well, this was utterly delightful! Tricky cannibals, a ball of nightmares that follows you around, and many more strange and wonderful inhabitants. This short but rich book is written with masterful style, and manages to make its characters endearing without being maudlin--and without trying too hard for sentimentality and quirkiness. And it's funny! In a very sly, deadpan way, particularly in the first story which cleverly implies the origins of the phrase "an arm and a leg."

I just might have
P
May 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
The first ymbryne wasn’t a woman who could turn herself into a bird, but a bird who could turn herself into a woman.

When I heard the news about this book, my heart was floating away. As everyone knows that I am a die-hard fan of Ransom Riggs because his works always excite and inspire me in the whimsical way. I loved his writing style and cherish his ideas even though I don't know where they come from. In this book, we'll see the tales with the original vibes and gruesome twists. Tales of the
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
There are some really good stories in this book and some others that I didn't care for too much. The first one I loved and it was just so gruesome and funny. <--- You don't find that every day.

It's about these peculiars that lived in Swampmuck. They made their living out of getting swamp grasses to take to the a town. They were very poor and lived the best they could. And they had a peculiar way about them. They could regrow limbs! So who is it that wanders in to their little part of the wor
Amalia Gavea
The newest addition in the wonderful universe of the Peculiar Children and their surroundings, created by Ransom Riggs, is every bit as interesting and special as Miss Peregrine's Trilogy. No. It's even better. You won't find our familiar Peculiars in this collection, what we see is their ancestors' struggle to cope with their talents and with the cruel ways society used to ostracize them. Our guide back in time is our beloved Millard...

''The Splendid Cannibals'' : Cannibals are creepy and nigh
Mohammed Arabey
Jan 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Surprisingly Strong, Deep, Meaningful short story with many layers...
Of Acceptance, and Prejudice & rejection..

Of the hardness of finding friends..

And the complicated relation between Fathers & Sons..with Kafkaian Atmosphere..

Of Dreams & Nightmares...Of selling oneself, of greed and living on 'credit', of capitalism, banking, even 'silencing a revolution'...

All very beautifully illustrated, told in fairy tale way but deeper with touch of horror, peculiarity ....yet with hope and mean
Jessica Avery
Sep 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-books
quick and fun read! if you like the other books then read this one
Alaina
SO GOOD! I couldn't put it down! Tales of the Peculiar is a really quick and easy read. Seriously, you might spend like an hour on it? Maybe less? Maybe more? Either way, it doesn't take a lot of time out of your day to sit and read it. All of the short stories are unique in their own way. One made me cringe so hard but that mostly because it's not the life for me. They are all have really cool and unique names and definitely made me fall even more in love with this series.

I'm kind of upset tha
Orient
Oct 16, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all the kids, teenagers, fans of YA books

"Tales of the Peculiar" are written by former Miss Peregrine’s ward, Millard Nullings. With the help of Mr. Riggs, Millard invited us to read the peculiar tales about the peculiar times and people, starting with wealthy cannibals and finishing with a lonely giant. All the tales had some spices of macabre and funny twists, peculiar history and of course a moral at the end.
I liked them, but they weren’t mind-blowing or amazing to squeal. It was great to read some back stories about the events and
Melanie (TBR and Beyond)
“So please enjoy these Tales—before a crackling fire on a chilly night, ideally,”

You can find this review and all of my other reviews at Novel Descent Thanks for the support!

This was a really fast and easy read for me. I read it within one sitting and when I was done, I wanted more. I'd say that is a pretty good sign.

Tales of the Peculiaris a collection of short stories/folk tales centered around "peculiar" people. At the time of reading this, I have only read the first book in Ransom Riggs
Reem
Sep 23, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love the design of the book. It must be the most beautiful book I own. Also, the stories were very whimsical and fantastical, and they gave so much background and history to the Peculiar world. It felt like being a child all over again and reading a story book full of fairy tales.
Cheyenne
Great stories and some very good lessons to be learned if you’re peculiar enough to read these stories pick this book up!
Ashley Daviau
Sep 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This collection of peculiar tales was absolutely stunning! I loved each of these stories for different reasons. I thoroughly enjoyed delving into the folklore and fairytales of peculiardom, it provided great insight into certain stories that were only glanced over in the trilogy. Each story was incredibly entertaining in its own way and it was great to have one final foray into the world of peculiars. All in all, I absolutely loved this collection of tales and I wish there were more!
✨Brithanie Faith✨
The Boy Who Could Hold Back The Sea: 4/5 stars ⭐⭐⭐⭐
The Tale Of Cuthbert: 3/5 stars ⭐⭐⭐
Trish
Oct 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a collection of tales the Peculiar Children from Ransom Riggs' trilogy have grown up with. They are basically a mixture of fairy tales, horror stories, and elements from the books.

For all those who have read the story of Jacob and his friends, this book supposedly has been written by Millard since the stories helped him and the others and because they are part of their identity. In general, all the stories have some great bottom lines and morale, not only relevant to the trilogy. Natural
Lauren Stoolfire
Tales of the Peculiar by Ransom Riggs is a collection of short stories that acts as a companion piece to the Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children series. As you may know from that series, the character Millard Nullings is a scholar on peculiar history and these short stories here are presented as the best of the best of his collection of peculiar stories. The production of this audiobook is excellent and it's narrated by Simon Callow, Bruce Mann, and Garrick Hagon. I loved that Millard makes an "a ...more
Mayke (acozyliving)☕️
Highly enjoyed these short stories/fairytales. I thought they were set up great and had some thoughful messages behind them. Great addition to the series!
Melisa
Oct 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great supplemental read to the Peregrine series!

Some short stories are better than others, in my humble opinion, but they all give you sort of a history and background of peculiardom based in their folklore.

If you know me and my reading taste, I shouldn't enjoy this series as much as I do - I generally do not like YA, nor do I like fantasy. But I loved these books. Perhaps it's the historical elements, vintage photography (in the series, not this book) and peculiarity.

Looking forward to seei
Ferdy
3.5 stars.

Better than the main series, there was more imagination and depth in the short stories than there was in the entirety of the Miss Peregrine trilogy. Then again any story is bound to better when there's an absence of a flat whiny main character and a bland romance.
Obsidian
I swear if Riggs had included more stories like this in his trilogy I would have ended up liking the series a lot better. We get to read about tales that are put together by one of the characters we read about in Miss Peregrine's series. "Tales of the Peculiar" is supposedly written by a former Miss Peregrine ward, Millard Nullings. I don't know if you all know about him. But he was the character that was invisible. I would suggest reading the series before this book since there is not that grea ...more
Erin Clemence
Jan 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 star rating overall, rounded up to four for Goodreads.

“Tales of the Peculiar” is a collection of short stories, from Ransom Riggs, the author of the “Miss Peregrine’s” series. In “Tales”, we are introduced to some more of Riggs’ imaginative creatures, and learn the background of some of the “peculiars” that we know from his full-length novels.
This novel is very short, with each tale being told (of course) by another peculiar by the name of Millard Nullings. Through Nulling’s narration, we
Brooklyn Tayla
Well that was utterly peculiarly fantastic. My first book of Ransom Riggs' and I'm definitely SO excited to read Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children! These short stories filled me with so much awe and I just loved them all!
Vanessa
Probably some of you are wondering why I've spent my time reading Tales of the Peculiar when I still haven't read the Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children trilogy. Well, I'll probably read it next year, but, since I'm gonna watch Tim Burton's movie at the theater next week, I wanted to have some context alive in my mind. Besides, this book was too gorgeous to ignore and not to buy. I'm serious when I say that this is the most beautiful book I own. Everything in it is amazing and the editing projec ...more
Yesha- Books Teacup and Reviews
This is collection short stories featuring parables of peculiars. It's about peculiar's history and their survival written and edited by Millard Nullings (the invisible boy), former ward of Miss peregrine's home for peculiar children.
Stories I liked most were -The Splendid cannibals, The Fork-Tongued Princess, The Woman who Befriended Ghost, The Girl who could Tame Nightmares.
All stories were fascinating. I liked the morals behind stories and Millard's notes in few of them.
Jesica
Sep 15, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The actual ratting is 3.5 I wanted to give it more stars but I guess I’m just not peculiar enough to do so :p

It’s actually not a bad book. In fact it’s quite enjoyable. It consists of ten short peculiar stories for peculiar children including The Tales of Cuthbert which Bronwyn read for Claire and The Pigeons of Saint Paul’s which Millard used to find Miss Wren in Hollow City. Like the note from the ‘publisher’, the stories are peculiar and strange but still enjoyable. My problem with the book p
Hiba Arrame
Is it strange that I love the stories that figure here more than those we usually read in children books?
How beautiful the book as a whole is, and how very well written the peculiar tales are! And the illustrations just added more beauty to the whole concept.
I would certainly want to read these to my nephews once they've grown up a bit and know a fair amount of English.
Kate Matson
Summary:
Wealthy cannibals who dine on the discarded limbs of peculiars. A fork-tongued princess. The origins of the first ymbryne. These are but a few of the truly brilliant stories in Tales of the Peculiar—known to hide information about the peculiar world—first introduced by Ransom Riggs in his Miss Peregrine’s Peculiar Children series.
Riggs now invites you to share his secrets of peculiar history, with a

• Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • Tales from the Inner City
  • The Forbidden Castle (Choose Your Own Adventure, #14)
  • You Got To Be Kidding: The Cultural Arsonist's Literal Reading of the Bible
  • Beauty and the Beast and Other Classic Fairy Tales
  • Legacy of Secrets (Kingdom Keepers: The Return, #2)
  • Corby Flood (Far-Flung Adventures, #2)
  • The Boy Who Lost Fairyland (Fairyland, #4)
  • The Witch's Boy
  • Scary Godmother
  • Doctor Who: Twelve Doctors of Christmas
  • The Grimm Conclusion
  • Baaa
  • Foulsham (Iremonger, #2)
Hi, I'm Ransom, and I like to tell stories. Sometimes I tell them with words, sometimes with pictures, often with both. I grew up on a farm on the Eastern shore of Maryland and also in a little house by the beach in Englewood, Florida where I got very tan and swam every day until I became half fish. I started writing stories when I was young, on an old typewriter that jammed and longhand on legal ...more

Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children (6 books)
  • Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children (Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children, #1)
  • Hollow City (Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children, #2)
  • Library of Souls (Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children, #3)
  • A Map of Days (Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children, #4)
  • The Conference of the Birds (Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children, #5)
  • Unknown (Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children, #6)
“In other words, being born with a certain ability does not mean we are obliged to use it, and in rare cases, we are obliged not to. All” 8 likes
“Perhaps she was born in the wrong body.” 7 likes