Start by marking “Edible Forest Gardens, Volume 1: Ecological Vision and Theory for Temperate Climate Permaculture” as Want to Read:

Edible Forest Gardens is a groundbreaking two-volume work that spells out and explores the key concepts of forest ecology and applies them to the needs of natural gardeners in temperate climates. Volume I lays out the vision of the forest garden and explains the basic ecological principles that make it work. In Volume II, Dave Jacke and Eric Toensmeier move on to practical ...more
Published July 1st 2005 by Chelsea Green Publishing Company

Aaron
Jul 07, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: gardeners, farmers, or those with an interest in sustainable agriculture
Volume 1 of this series of two textbooks describes the theory behind permaculture design in the temperate Northeastern United States. The implications of this kind of permaculture design are tremendous; applying them can result in self-fertilizing, soil building, low maintenance ecosystems where just about everything is edible. Once an initial inputs of fertilizer, soil amendments and biological cultures are applied, a mid-succession forest can establish itself in approximately four years.
This
Brooks
Feb 14, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: people who like forests and eating
greatest resource ever on farming the forest. integrating this with livestock is my current life mission. i love biological systems.
Lindu Pindu
Jul 19, 2011 rated it liked it
It's a textbook. It's not fun. But it taught me a couple things. On to the practical side of things (Vol II)!
Jessie
Apr 01, 2013 rated it liked it
This book is really more like an ecology textbook that happens to pertain to forest gardens. If you know ecology, just skip to the second volume.
David Koblos
Apr 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Highly detailed and theoretical, this book is by no means an easy reading, though the authors seemingly tried to avoid a lot of technical speech. Still, in order to learn and understand its information one should put these ideas into practice.
Matt Richads
May 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Essential reading for anyone seriously considering a forest garden or food forest.
Jonah
Jan 16, 2008 rated it it was amazing
there are two volumes, both great!
Amy
Nov 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
For temperate climate growers and permaculture practitioners, there is not a more comprehensive source on food forest ecology and creation. If you want to design like a pro, this 2-volume set has everything you need.
Kate
Jun 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Extremely informative book about the building blocks of Permaculture! Looking forward to exploring the planning information in volume 2.
Brett Anderson
Feb 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: permaculture
"Our biggest mistake is that we see ourselves as separate from the natural world." - Dave Jacke, Edible Forest Gardens, Volume 1
Paige
Aug 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An incredible, easy-to-read introduction to permaculture food forests. I highly recommend this book!
Justin
Oct 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: gardening
Very well researched, but far above my level/out of my scope as a beginning/intermediate gardener.
John
Dec 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
What we have is no less than the beginning of an adventure, explicitly stated. That adventure is to see our habitats become habitats, restoring our dwellings to gardens in the shape of forests. The great pleasure of this adventure is that it can really be any of ours.

This book is the first of two volumes; between the two it is the considerably slighter by page count. With color illustrations, photographs, and watercolor touches, it also seems to be the prettier. Other comparisons will have to wa
Benjamin
Jun 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The permaculture bible for the humid temperate zones of the world. Covers a diverse battery of the relevant topics from soil biology, to biological evolution, but mostly ecology.
Volume 1 is the design theory and lists of things to consider and helpfully useful plant species. Also covers common mistakes such as packing plants as close as possible.
On to volume 2, the practical how-to.

Unfortunately, I live just outside the forest zones on the prairie, so I'm waiting for the work at the Land Inst
Mostadam Eco-Design
Nov 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: farming
ABSOLUTELY RECOMMENDED.

A book, that makes you want to write books, the quality of research, the objectiveness that is emerging from a real need to learn, instead of making clear facts that supports specific agendas. Asking most if not all of the questions needed about aboveground ecology, underground ecology, Plant's communal relationships and the development of ecosystems over time is just right. It's an intensive book, full of information...

A book that is eye opening and focus sharpening for a
jess
Mar 21, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: growing, 2010
This book is essentially a text book that brings together forest ecology, sustainability and edible landscape design. There is a good overview of a lot of the biology and ecology of creating low-maintenance, self-sustaining gardens. I know Volume 2 has more design and practice, so I can't wait to read it. Volume 1 has a a handy list of the top 100 plants for an edible forest, sorted by each plant's best environment (upper canopy, mid-story, shrubs, vining groundcovers, etc) in addition to all th ...more
Chris
May 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I got this book (and its companion volume Edible Forest Gardens: Ecological Design And Practice For Temperate-Climate Permaculture (Edible Forest Gardens)) for information about forest gardening in the north east. As I read it (and it's a surprisingly easy and enjoyable read for what is essentially a text book) I learned a huge amount about forest ecology.

These two volumes contain a wealth of theory and practical information.
Marijan
Mar 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
This was really excellent book, as well as its sequel. The only reason I didn't give it maximum number of stars is it's north American focus. Wish someone wrote something like this centered on Europe.
Rodney
Oct 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
An excellent and thorough guide to the topic of Forest Gardening (FG). Lots of theory behind concepts of FG are presented and some practical examples are given. I'm looking forward to reading the second volume and redesigning my yard.
Kim
Dec 12, 2007 rated it really liked it
Loaded with information, a great reference book to have in the library.
Crystal-lee-m
Feb 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Very good ideas for planning your own garden. Detailed sample plans and explanations about types of plants for different purposes in the garden/ecosystem.
Susan
Mar 18, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This blew my mind. So many ideas, so much to think about, so incredibly densely packed with information. I think I'll be re-reading this for years before it all soaks in.
Joan
Jun 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A masterpiece. THE masterpiece.
Josh
Feb 02, 2009 rated it liked it
This book is really good. It is a very informative book and I feel like every page or so I learned something new. That said, the material can be a little dry at times.
Nick Woodall
Good book. Chocked full of good ideas, especially on the case studies. Very, very technical in parts.
David Bilbrey
Nov 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Articulate, Illuminating. Can wait to read more!
Brian
Jul 20, 2011 rated it really liked it
I've just read and really enjoyed Volume I, Vision and Theory. It was not the re-hashing of drylands permaculture theory that I expected. I'm looking forward to Volume II.
Marc Anderson
Jan 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
Good introduction to the subject.
Amanda Wellman
Aug 04, 2009 is currently reading it
reads like a textbook, but fascinating information!
Julie O'toole
Nov 02, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I loved the fact that this was long, read it cover to cover and will do so again.
Really flourish in their environment 1 1 Apr 23, 2015 02:45AM

• Introduction to Permaculture
  • Permaculture: Principles & Pathways Beyond Sustainability
  • Sepp Holzer's Permaculture: A Practical Guide to Small-Scale, Integrative Farming and Gardening
  • Gaia's Garden: A Guide to Home-scale Permaculture
  • The Humanure Handbook: A Guide to Composting Human Manure
  • Earth User's Guide to Permaculture
  • Forest Gardening: Cultivating an Edible Landscape
  • Seed to Seed: Seed Saving and Growing Techniques for Vegetable Gardeners
  • Four-Season Harvest: Organic Vegetables from Your Home Garden All Year Long
  • Teaming with Microbes: A Gardener's Guide to the Soil Food Web
  • Rainwater Harvesting for Drylands and Beyond (Vol. 1): Guiding Principles to Welcome Rain Into Your Life and Landscape
  • Gardening When It Counts: Growing Food in Hard Times
  • Permaculture in a Nutshell
  • Fresh Food from Small Spaces: The Square-Inch Gardener's Guide to Year-Round Growing, Fermenting, and Sprouting
  • The Resilient Gardener: Food Production and Self-Reliance in Uncertain Times
  • Mycelium Running: How Mushrooms Can Help Save the World
  • Small Scale Grain Raising: An Organic Guide to Growing, Processing, and Using Nutritious Whole Grains, for Home Gardeners and Local Farmers