Start by marking “Chicken in Mittens (I Can Read Level 1)” as Want to Read:
Chicken in Mittens (I Can Read Level 1)

Chicken in Mittens

(Zoey the Chicken)

Bundle up and join Zoey the chicken on a winter wonderland adventure!

When you have a pair of warm mittens and a great imagination, a snowy day is an invitation to explore and have fun. So Zoey the daring chicken and Sam the loyal pig are headed to the North Pole!

From the hilarious author-illustrator duo that brought you Chicken in Space and Chicken in School, this Lev

Published October 17th 2017 by HarperCollins (first published 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Chicken in Mittens, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chicken in Mittens

Start your review of Chicken in Mittens (I Can Read Level 1)
Abigail
Jan 02, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Zoey the Chicken / Beginning Readers Looking for Entertaining Tales
Zoey the chicken and her best piggy-pal Sam, whose adventures began in the picture-books Chicken in Space and Chicken in School , return in this third story, this time setting out for the North Pole. Advised by Clara the cow to wear their mittens, they oblige, although not in the way she intended. Fortunately, Sam's mitten unravels as he and his gallant galline friend go a-wandering, leaving them a return route when they have finally reached their destination...

Like its predecessors, Chic
Becky
Dec 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First sentence: Zoey stepped out of the barn. So did her best pig, Sam. Fresh snow covered the farm. "We can be explorers!" said Zoey. "It's cold," said Sam. "Arctic explorers!" said Zoey.

Premise/plot: Zoey LOVES adventures. Sam, well, he's a great friend, a sidekick, to Zoey. Even if he doesn't always show the same passion or zeal for adventure as his friend does. In this one, the two set off to discover the pole. Will they find it? Well, they'll find something that's for sure!

My thoughts: Thi
Daphne
I should have known that any beginning reader by Adam Lehrhaupt would be both useful for literacy and freakin' hilarious. Yeti, indeed! I love the comic timing of this book, and I continue to be a great fan of Lehrhaupt. More!
Lacy
This book is an early reader book Level 1. My daughter isn’t close to reading yet, so I read this book to her. It has short, simple sentences for early readers, though.

My daughter sat through the whole book. There weren’t many long sentences that lost her interest. She seemed to like this book okay, but it wasn’t the most enjoyable, since it’s definitely more for helping kids learn to read.

We will probably revisit this book as she grows, and gets to the reading stage.
Juliana Lee
Fun story about an enthusiastic chicken and her reluctant pig friend. Zoey wants to take a trip to the North Pole, even though she's not sure how to get there. Sam follows along, accidentally unraveling his mitten. When they finally find the North Pole (a scarecrow pole) they follow Sam's yarn back home.
Becky B
Zoey the chicken and Sam the pig decide to go out adventuring in the snowy world. They are going to be arctic explorers! They wear their mittens (in an unconventional way) and set out to explore the world beyond their fence.

A cute winter adventure with some slightly silly animals that beginning readers should find utterly delightful. Sure to make kids smile if not laugh.
Virginia
Dec 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Adam Lehrhaupt's language is perfect for this age group. The words are simple but the story and illustrations have a lot of child appeal. The chicken named Zoey reminds me a bit of Minerva Louise--a bit misguided but always acting with a big heart--and I adore her relationship with "her best pig, Sam." What a couple of sweeties!
Bruce
Jan 08, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
With their mittens firmly on their heads, Zoey the chicken and Sam the pig boldly step out into the snowy farmyard in the hope of discovering the North Pole. In this delightfully silly story, they discover a scarecrow disguised as a yeti. Since it’s sitting atop a pole, they decide their goal has been accomplished, and the pair retire to the barn for some warm refreshments.
Jillian
This book reminds me of me with some of my friends - "Hey, let's do this crazy thing!" "Ehhh, I'm not too excited about it, but why not?" (Who is in which part varies.)

Also, I was very impressed by the mitten that kept leaving string behind but never got any smaller.

Cute story for beginning readers.
Abby Johnson
Zoey and Sam go on an arctic adventure on the farm and even run into a Yeti! I think this is my favorite of the Zoey stories so far, and only partly because her mitten hat makes me think of Minerva Louise.
Diane
Zoey, an adventurous chicken, and her pig, Sam, go in search of the North Pole, after all, it's so cold outside. Through fences and up big hills they journey. How do they know when they've arrived? Just ask the Yeti ... or is that a scarecrow?
mg
Very cute story and adorable illustrations.
Danette
Jan 10, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
1/8/2018 Read with Julia.
Colorado Buck
decided not to do for storytime because of the minerva louise chicken in the snow book. it is cute, could be interactive, was not very big, would be hard to see in the back of the room.
Darian
Feb 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cute, silly, and easy for kids to follow along. It’s also a great book for kids who are learning to read.
Grace DeBaltzo
Simple beginning reader with a clear story.
Marcie
Feb 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Two by Adam Lehrhaupt on my list. Fun for winter k-1 guided read.
Angela
Nov 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Funny! Can't help but love these characters.
Maddie Patty
May 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Laith
May 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
chicken and mitten are silly because they wore their mittens on their heads.
Liz Lowe
Sep 04, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Adorable book about an adventurous pair.
Two farm animal friends play in the snow together. With some imagination and some humor, they have a great time and make their way home to a cozy evening.
Peter

• P is for Pterodactyl: The Worst Alphabet Book Ever
  • Clark the Shark: Tooth Trouble
  • Peppa Pig: Peppa's Magical Unicorn
  • Pete the Cat and the Surprise Teacher
  • Mia and the Too Big Tutu (My First I Can Read) (Mia)
  • I say OOH You say AAH
  • Charlie the Ranch Dog: Stuck in the Mud
  • The Princess in Black and the Science Fair Scare (The Princess in Black #6)
  • Charlie the Ranch Dog: Charlie's Snow Day
  • This Was Our Pact
  • Every Cowgirl Needs a Horse
  • Hide and Seek (The Fox and the Hound)
  • Shrinking Powder (Read At Home Level 4b)
  • Floppy's Bone
  • Dad's Birthday (Read At Home: Level 1c)
  • The Palace Statues (Oxford Reading Tree)
  • Husky Adventure
  • The Lost Voice
Adam Lehrhaupt is the award-winning author of Warning: Do Not Open This Book!, Please: Open This Book!, Chicken in Space (A six book series: Book 2 Chicken in School lands June 20, 2017), I Will Not Eat You and the upcoming I Don't Draw, I Color (March 21, 2016), Wordplay (July 2017), Idea Jar (Fall 2017), and This is a Good Story (Spring, 2018). He has traveled to six continents, performed on Bro ...more

Zoey the Chicken (6 books)
  • Chicken in Space