Start by marking “Land of Bones” as Want to Read:
Land of Bones

Land of Bones

Demon lights, granted wishes, strange things, and brutal love at the Lucky Lounge Motel. A haunted sister, desperate parents, a little human touch, and the end of the world…

These are the stories whispered among dead leaves, the script etched bare for all to see. When the chills sink deep and your heart begins to pound…are you alone?

Welcome to Glenn Rolfe’s LAND OF BONES

ebook
Published February 23rd 2018 by Alien Agenda

To ask other readers questions about Land of Bones, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Land of Bones

Start your review of Land of Bones
Peter
Aug 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Apprehension
Land of Bones is a collection of horror stories that stimulate and provoke the imagination to go beyond the scenarios painted. Fourteen short stories combine to create an impressive compendium of treats that are well written and have the ability to capture such moving and scary images as tales of despair and terror unfold.

You know that when reading a collection of horror stories, bad shit is coming, but what is remarkable about the writing from Glenn Rolfe, is the creativity and
Mort
Oct 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
4.5 Solid STARS!

Look at the cover of this book - beautiful design, but somewhat misleading. This is more than a compilation of horror stories: They are not meant to scare you, they will make you FEEL.
And the introduction will warn you that these stories are about loss, something all of us can relate to.

Mr. Rolfe shows his writing talent remarkably well in these stories, especially when opening himself up to the emotional side. Of the 14 stores, I think 12 of them were great. And my favorite
Kimberly
LAND OF BONES: 14 Tales of the Strange and Macabre, by Glenn Rolfe, is a collection that centers on feelings of "loss", in many different forms. The feelings he evokes through these stories are genuine, and several had resonated with me particularly well since they showcased some of my own fears. They range in topic from everyday human losses, to more subtle, psychological ones, and the supernatural.

Personal favorites of mine included:

--"Death Lights": This story featured Lee Buhl, a character I
Latasha
Mar 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Impressed!

I think this is the first thing I've read by this author. From the first story I was hooked. I read the majority of this in one sitting- oops! Didn't mean for that to happen! The stories draw you in and it's a hard book to put down.
Kenneth McKinley
Apr 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror, own-kindle
Land of Bones by Glenn Rolfe is a 14 story collection of horrific shorts and novellas. Let's jump right in and break these down in order:

Ghosts of Spears Corner - Two boys, days from starting middle school in the 1950s, decide to break into the boarded up Spears House, the local haunted house. Doing their very best to keep their fears at bay, the boys discover a dark secret locked away. A fun read that, even though took place in the Fifties, reminded me of my childhood. Sometimes you just have
Marie
I really liked the short stories in this book. The author, Glenn Rolfe, just seems to grab a hold of you and plop you into the stories. Favorites include: Ghosts of Spears Corner, Not Kansas Anymore, Wish, The Fixer, The Rooster (this one was sad, but I still liked the story), Too Much of A Dead Thing (a little bit longer than the other stories and I liked how the characters came together in it), and Death Lights. The stories are not scary, but just some fun short reads. Four stars for this one.
Mindi
Jun 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book was sent to me by the author in exchange for an honest review.

Land of Bones is a collection of stories dealing mostly with the themes of grief and loss. Rolfe writes about death and those who grieve as if he is intimately acquainted with it. I hope that isn't the case, but a few of his stories, like The Fixer and The Rooster read as if Rolfe is letting his grief flow through his pen. The Rooster especially reads almost like a non-fiction account. It's so honest and raw.

I really liked
MJ miranda_c_rites
Mar 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Oh, the feels! What a collection!

Land of Bones is a collection about love and loss, death, and brings to light (darkness) what ifs. I’m not too squeamish or jumpy at most fiction, but some of the stories made me squirm while reading in bed at night.

I had previously read the story Welcome to Paradise at Christmas (thanks, Glenn!), but I re-read it. It was nice to see Veronica again.

If you want that familiar tickle of excitement and fear in the pit of your stomach, Glenn Rolfe delivers.
David
Apr 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2018
Glenn Rolfe gave me some brutal stories in this collection. My review can be read here ---> https://wp.me/p5t5Tf-1wS
Frank Errington
May 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
If you read Glenn's guest post on my blog yesterday, you are likely already aware that Land of Bones is a collection which deals primarily with loss.

And it all begins with a flash fiction piece set in a graveyard,. The title story, Land of Bones.

Ghost of Spears Corner - Wow! This coming of age short will definitely reach out and grab you.

"We weren’t perfect, but I’d say we managed to be relatively normal. All that changed, at least for me, the last week of summer vacation in ’57."

Simon - Little
Jeremy Hepler
Sep 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
I started reading Glenn's writing a little over a year ago (Becoming, Blood and Rain, & Haunted Halls, all of which I enjoyed), but this was the first short story collection of his I've read. I once again felt an immediate connection with his relatable, down-to-earth characters, and got lost in the easy flow of his writing style. All of the stories didn't resonate with me, as is the case with any anthology, but the ones I enjoyed the most were Death Lights, Ghosts of Spear Corner, Little ...more
John
Mar 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't usually go for short stories but I bought this one because Glenn is in the forums a lot so I sorta know him. Plus, the Kindle edition was also cheap, so I figured I couldn't lose.

In any case, I liked this collection, so if that means anything to you then you should buy it.
Kaisersoze
Glenn Rolfe's latest collection of short fiction (after Slush) is thematically linked by loss. The loss of our previous lives, the loss of a pet, the loss of our loved ones, etc. It's a subject that everyone can relate to, and it makes sense for a horror author to mine its depths, even when some tales do the topic far more justice than others.

The first real hit of the collection is SIMON, a somewhat fantastical look at the loss of a child's innocence, which any caring parent of youngsters will
Empress Reece (Hooked on Books)
This was a nice collection and variety of short stories for any fan of the horror genre! I normally don't read too many short stories because I hardly ever get that feeling of satisfaction that I get when reading a full length story but I read these in between work projects and I found they were just what I needed and the perfect length for the amount of time I had to spare. I really came away with a deeper appreciation of short stories and how useful they can be in certain situations. I know I ...more
Vicki Willis
Apr 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: z-2018
This was a collection of 14 short stories that all revolved around the theme of loss. This author is able to really put a lot into shorter pieces. I enjoyed all of them with my favorites being:
The Rooster: this one made me cry
The Fixer: Oh, what we wouldn't do for our children
Fire: a sad, lonely feel to it
Wish: can you spell psychosis?
Little Bunny: just scary
Avenging Kitten: don't mess with the pets!
Another thing I liked about the book is that at the end Glenn put some author notes about each
 Nyarlathotep Twelfth Month The Haunted Reading Room
Review: LAND OF BONES by Glenn Rolfe

By turns heart-touching, heart-tearing, oh! My!, and almost always Scary!, Glenn Rolfe's new collection showcases this author's variety. I'd say there's something here to terrify almost everyone, even the most jaded reader of horror, dystopia, or apocalyptic scenarios. There's also a thoughtful and heartening introduction from author Erin Sweet all-Mehairi, the talented editor of this collection.

I thought I could select one or two stories to call "my
Emily
Apr 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
"She loved damage. She loved scars. She loved anything beautiful and broken."

Land of Bones is an enjoyable dark fiction / horror book of short stories. This was the first I've read from Glenn Rolfe, and I was pretty happy with the book. This was not a perfect collection for me - I didn't love all of the stories, but I did appreciate the book as a whole.

Two of the stories in the collection have really stuck with me - The Ghost on Spears Corner & Fire. As I said before, I liked multiple
The Behrg
First let me begin this review by stating Glenn Rolfe is one of the nicest authors you'll meet and that the guy does everything he can to promote other's work and the horror genre in general. It's awesome seeing the success he's finding and I have to say it's well deserved and I hope it only continues.

While I've purchased quite a few Rolfe books, "Land of Bones" is the first title I decided to crack open, after seeing so many glowing reviews. I'm a huge fan of short stories and so naturally was
Tim Meyer
Mar 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really dug Glenn Rolfe's collection, LAND OF BONES. It starts off with a short, poetic flash piece that really sets the tone for the rest of the stories. This is a much darker collection compared to his last, SLUSH. I'd agree with other reviewers and Erin's introduction - these stories all share the common theme of suffering soul-crushing losses. I particularly enjoyed NOT IN KANSAS ANYMORE, THE ROOSTER (heart-wrenching), THE FIXER, and the novelette at the end, DEATH LIGHTS. Overall, a very ...more
Pamela
Apr 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really loved the short piece at the beginning and I really loved many of the stories, but a few were definitely not my thing, some just sort of skimmed along instead of diving inside. A sense of very human loss and on the flip side human darkness permeates a great deal of the pieces. I expected it to be more macabre than it was, but it was a good quick read.
Morgan K Tanner
Aug 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The introduction to this collection spoke of the sense of loss within these stories. And yes this is true but not in the way that I was initially imagining. See, although the characters in here have all suffered/are suffering from loss, this is merely a backdrop to horrific themes and situations created within. I thought it would be emotion-sapping, and it was, but this collection was also just downright creepy.

There are scares, gore, ghosts, monsters; basically everything that you’d look for in
Angela Crawford
Mar 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Land of Bones is the fantastic new short story collection written by Glenn Rolfe. In this collection you will find stories that will make you laugh, make your skin crawl, and break your heart, often all at the same time. Glenn has quickly risen through the ranks to become one of my favorite authors because of his ability to make you care about his characters as if they were your own friends or family. I’m continuously blown away by the fact he can do this with not only a novel but with a short ...more
Spencer
Mar 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The foreword written by Erin Sweet Al-Mehairi, the editor of Glenn’s collection sums up this book perfectly as a collection brought together with the theme of loss. The horror in this collection varies throughout, some of it is quiet and thoughtful and other stories are blunt and visceral, but all the stories work together to form a wonderfully dark journey through Glenn’s imagination.

It starts off with a poem which beautifully sets the tone ahead and settled me into Glenn’s fantastic prose. The
Steve Stred
Jun 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good mix of creepy tales here, in the Land of Bones. I thoroughly enjoyed a number of the stories here. Like in any short story compilation, there is bound to be a few that don't connect with you, but it wasn't because they were poorly written!

Look forward to checking out other works from Glenn!
Valerie
Sep 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
First time reading a Glenn Rolfe and it won’t be the last time either! This was a great collection of stories! My favs were The Fixer, The Rooster(cried real tears), Too Much of a Dead Thing(zombies or alien invasion?) and Death Lights! Left me wanting more and I think I’ll start with The Haunted Halls!!
Nikki
Apr 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror
As promised, the pervading feeling of this collection was one of loss and melancholy. Rolfe is a great writer but this even showed a whole new side to his writing style and skill-set. Parts of these stories were so beautifully written that I’d read lines over and over just to get a full grasp of the imagery. I’m not even sure I could choose a favorite as all of them held something for me. It takes a strong writer to build characters in a short story that you can form any sense of attachment to. ...more
O. D. Book Reviews
Oct 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I received a complimentary copy of this book as a judge in the Indie Horror Book Awards 2018.

A fun horror anthology with a variety of monsters, some new and some a twist on the familiar. I devoured this read quickly and enjoyed every minute of it. Each story is like a dark little mystery that unveils itself in new and shocking ways. If you like short story anthologies and horror you can’t pass this one up.

“Her gaze landed on the bone fragment poking from the ruined earth.”

Pros:
This book was
Andy
May 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another fantastic collection of short stories from Mr. Rolfe.
These stories really show the depth of writing that Glenn can produce when his heart is displayed so proudly on his sleeve.
Two stories really stand out for me, although I enjoyed them all.
The Rooster.
When I read the table of contents and saw this title the Jerry Cantrell written song came to mind. This is a touching story about a big, tough guy taken down by something most certainly non-fiction and very real as well. It’s told by
Tim
Feb 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Land of Bones is a great collection of horror short stories that shows the death and variety of the author’s writing. I have only read novels and novellas by the author so it was great to read his work in the shorter form. Short stories usually leave me wanting more but these works really felt complete and were satisfying to read. There is one novella in the mix and I enjoyed that most of all. Highlights for me were “Too Much of a Dead Thing”, “Welcome To Paradise” and “Fire”. Overall this was a ...more
Book lover
Macabre tales

It's a good collection of tales, I have read three of them in other collections. It helped pass the time during a sleepless night. It was a little hard to follow sometimes, because the characters and some storylines were intertwined. That works well for novels and novellas, but hard to pull off with short stories. Worth a try if you like macabre stories.
Horror Aficionados : New Release 1 16 Feb 24, 2018 04:11AM

• Welcome to the Show
  • The Horror Collection: Gold Edition
  • They Feed
  • The Nightmare Room (The Messy Man, #1)
  • The Siren and the Specter
  • Kill Hill Carnage
  • Escape!
  • Creature
  • Kill For Satan!
  • The Beast of Brenton Woods
  • Broken Shells
  • Jurassic Florida (One Size Eats All #1)
  • Full Moon
  • Doorbells at Dusk
  • Dark Ride
  • The Switch House
  • Terror in the Shadows: Scary Ghosts, Paranormal & Supernatural Horror Short Stories Anthology (Scare Street Horror Short Stories Book 5)
  • Under The Safe House & Other Stories
Glenn Rolfe is an author, singer, songwriter from the haunted woods of New England. He studied Creative Writing at Southern New Hampshire University, and continues his education in the world of horror by devouring the novels of Stephen King, Jack Ketchum, Richard Laymon, and many others. He and his wife, Meghan, have three children, Ruby, Ramona, and Axl. He is grateful to be loved despite his ...more
“I never knew someone dumb enough to accost a man with a samurai sword, but someone always had to be the first.” 1 likes
“Oh, you’re gorgeous when you’re hurting.” 0 likes