Start by marking “What Have You Done” as Want to Read:
What Have You Done

What Have You Done

3.91  ·  Rating details ·  21,354 ratings  ·  1,387 reviews
Family is not what it seems in this raw, edgy thriller that New York Times bestselling author Lisa Scottoline says "you won't be able to put down."

When a mutilated body is found hanging in a seedy motel in Philadelphia, forensics specialist Liam Dwyer assumes the crime scene will be business as usual. Instead, the victim turns out to be a woman he'd had an affair with
Published October 1st 2018 by Thomas & Mercer (first published 2018)

To ask other readers questions about What Have You Done, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Kelly France
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeeThe Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsHarry Potter Series Box Set by J.K. RowlingThe Help by Kathryn StockettThe Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold
Unforgettables
3,113 books — 1,984 voters
Harry Potter Series Box Set by J.K. RowlingTo Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeeThe Book Thief by Markus ZusakThe Ultimate Religion by Gillian DanceA Woman to Blame by Vincent Panettiere
Best Books To Gift
942 books — 287 voters

More lists with this book...

·  21,354 ratings  ·  1,387 reviews

Start your review of What Have You Done
Joey R.
Jun 09, 2019 rated it liked it
3.0 Stars — “What Have You Done” was a Kindle First selection that has stayed in my unread books pile since September of 2018. I believe this was Matthew Farrell’s first book, and it was not half bad. The book tells the story of two brothers, Sean and Liam, who survived a traumatic childhood with an insane mother who attempted to kill Liam but who was saved by Sean. The brothers have now grown up and both work in law enforcement with the same agency. The book begins with a grisly murder whose ...more
j e w e l s
THREE STARS
I’ve been really lucky several times this year when gambling on “little” novels that sound like they are psycho-twisted with all the elements of a surprise hit (Jane Doe or In the Vines FIVE STARS, BABY!!!).

Unfortunately, despite the great title, What Have You Done did not wow me. I think it will find its audience, but it won’t be a great crossover blockbuster.

This is the story of two grown brothers, both currently working in law enforcement. The brothers experienced a horrific
Darcia Helle
I'm glad to see that so many people loved this book. I was not one of them.

The writing itself is good. I wasn't wowed, but I was entertained, at first.

The premise intrigued me, but I couldn't buy into the way it was handled. We have two seasoned members of the police force who immediately decide to lie to and withhold information from their fellow investigators about details of a murder. One even tells the other that they can't trust the cops, who are supposedly professionals and their friends,
Linda
Feb 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Hunka Munka......this one has teeth.

What Have You Done takes us deep into the complicated relationship between two brothers. Liam Dwyer is the younger of the two and a forensics specialist in Philadelphia. His brother, Sean, hits the same streets at a fast pace as a homicide detective. They've been encased in a strong bond since childhood.

Matthew Farrell gives this one quite the incisors as he lays out the backstory of what happened to said brothers at the hands of their mother so long ago. As
Kathi Defranc
Sep 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent Thriller About Brothers Who Have Been Through It All..

I was very impressed by this book by a new author, great story that keeps you turning pages quickly!! An excellent story of what happens in the mind when stressed for years, no childhood as one boy spends it taking care of his brother. Sean has always been the older brother, taking care of Liam for years, after their father dies and mother loses her mind..He made sure to work, have money to help Liam go through school, gets on the
Amy
Sep 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: physical-arcs
I love when books cross genre lines a bit, while this was firmly a thriller it was also part domestic suspense and also had the feel of a CSI episode. It was also extremely exciting and super fast paced making for an entertaining read that gripped me the entire time.

Memory loss is not exactly a new premise when it comes to thrillers but what made this one stand out for me was that every theory I would come up with was almost immediately debunked as soon as I thought of it. This was a clever
Patricia
Sep 02, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery
The premise was good, but the book didn’t live up to the promise.
I got this book as Kindle First Reads and glad I got it for free.
I knew I was going to have a problem as soon as the two main characters went "rogue." I just don't like those kinds of stories, and the fact that they were able to do it so easily and completely, and then drag others into it (and they easily fell into it as well) totally turned me off.
In addition, there were all the other moral flaws and bad behavior (I don’t want to
Christina McDonald
Jul 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: crime
An edgy crime thriller reminiscent of a CSI episode, What Have You Done is an explosive debut by Matthew Farrell. The novel is a cross between a domestic suspense and a hard-bitten crime story, opening with a mutilated body investigated by forensics specialist Liam Dwyer. But soon Liam realizes he knows the victim. And he has no memory of the night she was murdered.

As he’s always done in times of trial, Liam turns to his big brother Sean, a brash, bold, charismatic homicide detective. But as
Richard Vernon
Sep 24, 2018 rated it it was ok
Trashy crime novel. The author used lots of short chapters to structure the book - and unfortunately this was symptomatic of a lack of overall depth to the characterisation, plot and dialogue.

We are expected to believe that the police wouldn't have tied together a series of brutal murders with quite distinct characteristics - and then the plot gets really silly, layering on additional murders and affairs that eventually becomes a bit daft.

The dialogue is dreadful at times - sounding way too
Jeri Paull
Sep 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Quick, entertaining whodunit. The writing was decent, character development was ok, and the murder mystery unfolded at a nice pace.
Heather Baez
Sep 23, 2018 rated it did not like it
I've never chosen a Kindle First read because I have a ton of books on my Kindle and nothing really jumped out at me. But I was in a reading slump and was looking for a fast, engaging read. I did end up reading this quickly, mostly because I read the last 2/3 of the book half-assed, skimming the page because I just didn't care.

This book is NOT good. The writing, especially in the beginning was so ... basic - as if this was a college writing assignment. But a thought provoking, twisty mystery it
Rick
Oct 20, 2018 rated it it was ok
Takes the thrill out of thriller. Found myself quickly not caring about the characters, which is a cardinal sin leading to another cardinal sin--boredom.
Misty
Jan 04, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2019
This novel is many things. Unfortunately, “good” isn’t one of them, and I find myself confounded at the more generous ratings. I tried to find some redeeming qualities to temper my disappointment but came up empty. What Have You Done manages to regurgitate every suspense-fiction cliche through the actions of unlikeable characters who spew tired dialogue that overflows with repetitive word choices. And if you think that sentence was bad, after reading this novel, you will find it literary genius ...more
Lisa-Books Smiles
Nov 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars! I love this book.
Joann
Sep 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
I believe this was a debut by the author and I really enjoyed it for the most part. I thought it was well written and the writing was tight and held my attention. The novel is a cross between a domestic suspense and a hard-bitten crime story which has Philadelphia as the backdrop. This is an intense read and I enjoyed reading about parts of Philadelphia that I am familiar with.
I did enjoy the epilogue. A solid 4. star from me.
Sherri Thacker
This is my first book by Matthew Farrell and I liked it so much, I can’t wait to read more books by this author. This book kept me on the edge of my seat until the end!! Gripping throughout with a shocking twist at the end.
Seth Johnson
Sep 23, 2018 rated it did not like it
This is the most painful-to-read book I’ve ever finished.

I’ve discarded others to be sure. This one wasn’t poorly written, but the characters weren’t adequately developed enough (ever) to explain the choices they made. The protagonist wasn’t at all likable and the plot twists were as absurd as they were predictable. I think the author captures it best with this line: “I was a cliché. A goddamned Lifetime movie.”
Suze
Sep 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very good CSI thriller

Loved this book, my pick of the kindle First Reads for September. This is a great suspense thriller, the characters are engaging, the story keeps moving along.

This book would make a great movie, highly recommend.
Tony Healey
Mar 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What Have You Done is a lean, mean thrill-ride of a book that grabs hold, refusing to let go until the last bittersweet pages. I am mightily impressed by Matthew Farrell’s first novel, and can’t wait to see what he cooks up next. Fans of Meg Gardiner and Mark Edwards will find a lot to love between the covers of What Have You Done.
Liz Etnyre
Jun 06, 2019 rated it it was ok
My Kindle First Read pick for Sept.'18.
This will have to be a DNF for me. The premise is decent, and the writing is not horrid - but I'm not at 20% yet and not only am I pretty sure what's going on, I find I don't care enough to find out for sure. Two good, honest, admired, and seasoned law enforcement types who happen to be brothers suddenly, and without really any discussion on the subject, decide to withhold evidence and lie just because they have a connection to the victim (and to the method
Liz | The Crime Girl
4 stars!
What a great little book! This is one of those books that doesn’t blow you away, but keeps you so intrigued and hooked into the story line that you just wanna keep reading in order to find out what happened. For me, I think that was because this one touches into SO many different genres—mystery, thriller, psychological thriller, police procedural. SO fun.

Jan
Feb 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle-books
Definitely mixed reviews for this "who dunit" and I am definitely in the cheering section. Living near Chicago, rogue cops are not news and I found the actions of Liam, Sean and Don not as unusual as others did -- not that I'm condoning such behavior from the boys in blue but know that it happens all too frequently. I also had a fairly good idea of who was responsible but was entertained enough to see how the story unfolded and I wasn't disappointed. There are many twists and turns, sufficient ...more
Mickey Reed
May 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this one. It was twisty and turny. Unpredictable, though I had my suspicions about one thing and that came true. All good though because it went a step further. Definitely kept my interest because I listened to the whole thing in one day. Good book. Looking forward to checking out more by this author.
Stefanie
Dec 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What Have You Done, by Matthew Farrell, was a Kindle First pick of mine. I love a good crime thriller and this one was riveting!
This is the first book I’ve read of Farrell’s and I really enjoyed his style of writing. It was gripping and full of twists. I enjoyed the main characters Liam and his brother Sean. An unbreakable bond between them after suffering a traumatic childhood.
Dead body is found, murdered in a gruesome fashion and everything is pinning Liam to the murder. Sadly, he can remember
Mary Davidson
Nov 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
this one grabs your attention from the start as you get to read about the back-story of a man being drowned by his mother. he wakes up a mess, not knowing where he had been the night before. Guess you can start to get the idea from there. This is definitely one i would recommend.
Danielle Girard
Oct 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing

I set out to make this my weekend book. Started it last Thursday and finished it Friday night! I kept thinking I knew who did it... and I did but, oh boy, no I did not!! A very fun ride!
Lea
Sep 12, 2018 rated it it was ok
I haven’t been having good luck with my Kindle First Reads. Predictable, formulaic, and other than taking place in Philly where I always feel nostalgic when reading, I didn’t like this one.
Val
Nov 07, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018, crime
This book is a tough one for me to rate since it is the author's first book and he is so excited to have had it published. The premise was such a good one! However, I felt as though I had just watched a soap opera when I finished reading it. Or a Lifetime movie. You know ... where the characters use stilted language and do ridiculous things? I really feel that the author shows promise, however.
Claudia
Sep 16, 2018 rated it it was ok
Underwhelming. Was this really a New York Times best seller? The writing was pretty simplistic. I knew who the murderer was as within the first quarter of the book. I only finished it because I was traveling and too tired to challenge my mind with something more interesting. I’m still surprised at myself that I stuck with it and actually read it to the end. Don’t bother. I only bought it because it was one of those Prime deals (in other words, cheap) so it was a good way to check out an unknown ...more
Marc Leonard
Sep 26, 2018 rated it did not like it
I had to stop reading this at 35% of the way through because 1. it's not well written which is almost forgivable but 2. the story fundamentally makes no sense. Characters continuously take actions that are totally unjustifiable to the point that it's not so much character development as people with names doing random things to move the plot forward. I rarely quit on a book but couldn't take it any more. Yeesh.
Around the Year i...: What Have You Done, by Matthew Farrell 2 15 Jan 22, 2019 06:27PM

• River Bodies (Northampton County, #1)
  • A Killer's Mind (Zoe Bentley Mystery, #1)
  • Bleak Harbor (Bleak Harbor #1)
  • Cut and Run
  • Rapid Falls
  • What You Did
  • I Will Never Leave You
  • Thin Air (Jessica Shaw #1)
  • Lying Next to Me
  • Malice
  • The Perfect Child
  • Blood for Blood (Ziba MacKenzie, #1)
  • Daughters of the Lake
  • The Killer Collective (John Rain, #10; Ben Treven #4; Livia Lone #3)
  • Close to the Bone (Widow's Island #1)
  • What I've Done (Morgan Dane, #4)
  • Here To Stay
  • Cold Waters (Normal, Alabama #1)
Matthew Farrell lives just outside of New York City in the Hudson Valley with his wife and two daughters. Get caught up on the progress of his next thriller along with his general musings by following him on Twitter @mfarrellwriter or liking his page on Facebook: www.facebook.com/mfarrellwriter2.
“someone to commit a crime” 1 likes