Start by marking “Ghost Virus” as Want to Read:
Ghost Virus

Ghost Virus

The NEW horror novel from the million-copy-selling Graham Masterton.

'A TRUE MASTER OF HORROR' JAMES HERBERT.

The girl had been staring into her mirror all morning before she picked up the small bottle of sulphuric acid and poured it over her forehead.

Samira was a young woman with her whole life ahead of her. What could have brought her to this? DC Jerry Pardoe and DS Ja

Published May 1st 2018 by Head of Zeus

To ask other readers questions about Ghost Virus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ghost Virus

Zoeytron
May 05, 2018 rated it it was ok
Copy furnished by Net Galley for the price of a review.

Creepy crawly coats, scuttling sweaters, grasping girdles, slapping shirtsleeves, raincoats on the rampage.  A second skin, rivers of blood, gore galore, and a surfeit of guts.

The writing is fine, but the plot segued into silliness and then boldly leapt into the realm of the absurd.  If this is meant to be horror, then it is not my brand.  If the purpose is to parody, then mission accomplished.
Jon Recluse
May 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An act of suicide by acid marks the beginning of bizarre acts of violent insanity across London, heralding an invasion by a supernatural force that lurks within second-hand clothing?!?

Graham Masterton has taken an idea that initially had me shaking my head in disbelief and created a horror novel that delivers equal parts chills and gore, balanced against a solid police procedural, where the forces of the law react realistically to a supernatural threat that is literally beyond comprehension.

Thi
April Showers Bring Fungi From Yuggoth
Review: GHOST VIRUS by Graham Masterton

(Release May 1)

A master never fails, and Graham Masterton has been an acknowledged Master of Horror for decades. GHOST VIRUS is a breathless, breathtaking, read, with horror so implacable the reader can't believe there will ever be any escape alive, nor any end. Caught up with the characters--both local police and citizens--readers are immediately immersed in the tale, a particular gift of this author's. From the explosive and compelling first chapter (whic
Lilyn G. | Sci-Fi & Scary
Disclaimer: I received a copy of this book from Netgalley for review consideration.

To the best of my recollection, I’ve never read a Graham Masterton book before Ghost Virus. However, I have heard his name time and again, so when I saw Ghost Virus on Netgalley, I thought it’d be a perfect time to check him out. There was a line or two in the synopsis that sounded a bit silly, but given how positively everyone talks about this “Master of Horror” I was willing to trust he’d weave a bit of a terror

Kimberly
GHOST VIRUS, by Graham Masterton is a book that I have completely mixed feelings on. On one hand, Masterton is a genius when it comes to "original" horrific threats, and this certainly fits the bill. However, there was just "too much" repetition of everyday things that ramped up the page count unnecessarily. For example, I lost count of the number of times the main characters took a triple expresso break. . . .

The premise here is pretty clear with the title GHOST VIRUS: some sort of virus that i
Chandra Claypool (wherethereadergrows)
I have heard amazing things about Graham Masterson so was very excited when I had the opportunity to read one of his books. Now, I realize the synopsis speaks of second hand clothing and the possibility of them being possessed but I don't think I was quite ready for the read that I received.

This is part police procedural, part horror and part silly. Personally, I read this as almost a satire to what we would expect from a true horror book. The "horror" part is in the gruesome death scenes - and
Michael Hicks
Apr 25, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: horror, netgalley
I hadn't previously read anything by Graham Masterton, but had heard his name pop up in horror circles often enough that I knew I'd have to give him a go. That said, I'm not entirely convinced Ghost Virus is the best place to start, given its odd balance as a work that is both flat-out silly and a serious procedural with a whole lot of deliciously descriptive violence and carnage betwixt it all.

The fact is, the central premise behind Ghost Story is absolutely ludicrous. That premise? Killer clot
Steve
I received this from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

I really have no idea how to rate this one. The first half of the book wasn't bad at all, and read like a British police procedural, with a DS and DI investigating linked murders. In the second half, the book went off the rails, and I felt like I went from watching a CSI episode to Shawn of the Dead.

The writing wasn't bad, but it seemed like the author lost control of the plot, and it ran wild.

Lisa
Apr 19, 2018 rated it it was ok
I've been reading Graham Masterton books for decades now, and one of my favorite things about his horror is that it's weird and wonderfully scary. No matter that sometimes when I start a story by him I think to myself "self, this time it's too crazy." Usually within a short about of time I believe whatever insanity he's come up with. This time was bad. Really bad. Haunted, possessed clothes? Well, sure. Seriously, I can almost believe it. I loved the idea, and since its Masterton I know it's goi ...more
Irene
Apr 24, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well.. that was different! I'll say that for it.
The cringe factor starts immediately as a young woman melts her face off with a bottle of acid purposely poured over herself, and dies a grisly painful death all due to wearing a jacket from a second hand shop. Oddly she seemed to be the only one affected in this way by the "ghost virus." The others who tried on the second hand clothes developed murderous and cannibalistic traits against others instead of themselves. I guess the story could have be
OutlawPoet
Apr 23, 2018 rated it it was ok
So, it kind of pains me to write this review because I like and respect the author’s other work so much, but I really did not like this book.

Ghost Virus…the Attack of the Killer Coats – and One Seriously Warped Anorak!

So, not a spoiler because it’s mentioned in the book’s description, but it’s really hard to take seriously a book about killer clothing. The really hard part is that, when trousers and sweaters aren’t killing people, it’s clear what a good writer Masterson is. The scenes in which
Joyce
Apr 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
5 stars

DC Jeremy “Jerry” Pardoe and DS Jamila Patel of Tooting Police Force respond to the call of a young woman who has been burned with acid. At first they suspect an honor killing, for the seventeen-year old was originally from Pakistan. She was just engaged to be married. But something bothers Jerry about the scene. A grey coat is missing and the pathologist finds strange fibers embedded in her skin.

Meanwhile another woman viciously murders her boyfriend after trying on a jacket that came i
Veronica
May 04, 2018 rated it liked it
Where to begin with this one? ......For some unknown reason, I have never read any of Graham Masterton's books so when the chance came up to read an ARC of "Ghost Virus", I jumped at the chance for an introduction to his work.
I have never read anything quite like "Ghost Virus". After a young woman looking forward to her promising future and marriage dies a gruesome death by pouring sulphuric acid on her face, DC Jerry Pardoe and DS Jamila Patel are faced with an incomprehensible reality. Their s
Alex
Jun 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Oh boy. I love Graham Masterton, but this book got pretty silly. Murderous clothes?? Definitely an interesting concept, and as a horror writer Graham literally brought these clothes to life like Stephen King did for the car in Christine. A little hokey, sure, but enjoyable nonetheless.

Thank you Netgalley for my copy!
Shanannigans
This book is hard to classify. It's a little bit sci-fi, a little procedural, with a paranormal backbone. The premise is a bit misleading, which I guess is the point but I thought I was going to be reading a good plague story.

I loved everything about this book until the origin of the virus is revealed. Then I was like, "WTF? Are you kidding me?" And not in a good way. It's just so silly! Here I was thinking that this book had everything. Suspense, gore, mysterious virus, and then the author went
Lynne
Apr 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graham-masterton
When a young Pakistani woman has her face burned off with sulphuric acid, it's up to D.C. Jerry Pardoe and D.S. Jamila Patel of Tooting Police to investigate the horrific crime. At first they think it's suicide or a possible honour killing but it soon becomes apparent more disturbing and other-worldly forces are at work.

Meanwhile, across London, there's an outbreak of sickening acts of violence and murder. The strange thing is, all the perpetrators are wearing second-hand clothing. Is it possib
mads
Jun 09, 2018 rated it did not like it
Read more of my reviews at my blog: fromwritertoreader.com!

I've never read a Graham Masterson novel prior to this one. I realized while reading this that could be because I'm not the target audience for his novels.

I love a good horror movie but I Ghost Virus did nothing for me as a horror fan or a reader. This book played out exactly like a B-movie playing on the SYFY channel in the wee hours of the morning. Don't get me wrong, I can see its appeal for some, it is fun and Masterson is clearly e
Joe Geesin
Apr 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not to be taken too seriously, as the concept is rather far fetched. That said it's a good story well written. A couple of explainations a little lacking but largely very well written - I really enjoyed this book. Taken in context I'd recommend to anyone. Nice twist at the end that leaves things open.

Jim Lay
May 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Pretty ridiculous story but Masterton commits himself completely to the idea and like the master he is, pulls it off and delivers a fast-moving and bloody horror novel.
Keith Chawgo
May 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Graham Masterson’s career is equalled if not bypassed by Stephen King with his tantamount body of work. He has consistently been able to horrify, entice, keep his readers in suspense and making the unexplainable very tangible.

His new novel, The Ghost Virus is a book the welcomes Graham back to his horror roots. Although he has never left this genre, he has been able to improve on it and carry it well into the future. This is something that most of his contemporaries are not able to do.

What star
Breakaway Reviewers
Jul 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Clothes horror in London is not for the faint-hearted people!

A young girl looked at her mirror in her bedroom and opened a bottle of acid and drank it. She met her gruesome end. The homicide detectives inspected her corpse with the forensic officers and decided that she committed suicide with her second-hand coat on.

DC Jerry Pardoe was transferred from Scotland Yard to combat against the anti-social and racist attack crimes. He was joined by his sergeant, Jamil Patel, who also worked at the Yard
Kristin The Bookworm
Aug 11, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: horror
Okay, so let me start off with the good stuff... I liked the writing style. I liked the setting and I really liked the main character. He seemed like the kind of dude you’d want to hang out with. Also, this is not a plot idea that I can remember reading before.

As for the not so great stuff... At times the book seemed like it was just an endless parade of overly descriptive, cartoony violence.

Now, I’m a huge horror fan and I don’t mind me some good gore. I’ll even wake up from a nightmare feeli
Aug 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: horror, netgalley
When I think of Graham Masterton I think horror, gruesome, violent horror surrounded by a well written book. I'm not saying this isn't well written, it is, it's just different.

It's violent, gory, has a good main cast, it's a quick read and it involves evil clothes. Yes, evil clothes. That's not a spoiler as it's mentioned in the synopsis but you just want to know what the fuck is this guy on to actually write a book with that as a plot point?

It is a fun read for people who want a weird ass horro
Leigh
May 29, 2018 rated it did not like it
A series of bizarre murders and suicides in London bring together two disparate police officers, who must work together to solve the increasingly unexplainable deaths.

I’m not sure that I’ve ever read a Graham Masterton novel before, but if you’d told me that Guy N. Smith or Shaun Hutson had written this manuscript and then binned it, I would have believed you, especially if they’d written it in the 1980’s. The attitudes of most of the characters would mesh perfectly with those of thirty years ag
Lisa Henderson-Farr
Jul 17, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Thank You to NetGalley and Head of Zeus for an advance copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Okay where do I begin
. Even though I find this to be a unique spin on virus spread, the idea of clothes coming to life and attacking people was just a little too nonsensical for me. I'm writing this review about a month after finishing the book and to be honest I don't remember many of the details. Not to say I didn't enjoy the book, because I did, I just had to put away my sense of realism.
Dani
Jul 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was a surprise for me. I have never read anything by Graham Masterton before and before I was half way through this I was already checking out the descriptions for his other books.

Whenever I tried to explain what the story was about and what was happening at any point everyone gave me the weirdest looks. I had to explain how entertaining it was regardless of how far fetched and ridiculous it sounded.

Sure it seems like a campy B horror movie when you are reading it and honestly that i
Dixie
Nov 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
this was an awesome book. terrific. another great read from a great author. the concept was unbelievable, but Graham made it believable
Tom
Nov 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
That was surprisingly fun and there were moments I actually bought into it. Fun for a rainy Sunday when you've had enough of the TV.
Sara
Nov 09, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: horror, library-books
Annie Guy
Mar 09, 2019 rated it it was ok
What starts out as an intriguing premise dissolved into parody by the end. The ending felt like the author just gave up. Disappointing!
Goodreads Librari...: Ghost Virus Broken Kindle Cover 3 17 Apr 23, 2018 12:16PM
  • The Jersey Devil
  • Behind the Door (Kathy Ryan, #2)
  • The Hollow Tree
  • The Haunted
  • Unseaming
  • Królowa (Harda królowa, #2)
  • The Manse
  • Wireman
  • Embers: A Collection of Dark Fiction
  • Stage Whispers: The Collected Timmy Quinn Stories
  • Texas Chainsaw Mantis
Graham Masterton was born in Edinburgh in 1946. His grandfather was Thomas Thorne Baker, the eminent scientist who invented DayGlo and was the first man to transmit news photographs by wireless. After training as a newspaper reporter, Graham went on to edit the new British men's magazine Mayfair, where he encouraged William Burroughs to develop a series of scientific and philosophical articles whi ...more