Start by marking “The Cast” as Want to Read:

The Cast

Twenty-five years ago, a group of ninth graders produced a Saturday Night Live-style videotape to cheer up their ailing friend. The show’s running time was only ninety minutes, but it had a lasting impact: Becca laughed her way through recovery, and the group—Jordana, Seth, Holly, and Lex—became her supporting cast for life.

On the silver anniversary of Becca Night Live, th
Published August 14th 2018 by SparkPress

To ask other readers questions about The Cast, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Cast

Start your review of The Cast
Deanna
Aug 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs, 2018
My reviews can also be seen at: https://deesradreadsandreviews.wordpr...

When Becca was just a teenager and struggling with health issues, her good friends banded together and made her a video recording to lift her spirits. It was ninety minutes long. A take on Saturday Night Live they called it “Becca Night Live”. It did cheer her up and it’s one of the reasons her family still owns a VCR to this day.

The cast consisted of Jordana, Seth, Holly, and Lex. All these years later the tape is still bei
Chandra Claypool (wherethereadergrows)
I'm just going to get right into it. I absolutely LOVE this book. My friends and I have made video tapes for each other, done silly things to bring joy to our crew and it's just FUN to do these types of things. When you can be completely silly and YOU around a group of people who appreciate you for who you are... well, you just can't ask for much more than that. The other side is that the also know just about everything about you and this can also make for some heated and very emotional moments ...more
Iryna *Book and Sword*
Jun 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley, ebooks, arc-s
3.75/5 stars

The Cast
is a wonderful and emotional story of friendship, illnesses and loss. I think it would be perfect for bookclubs - there is a lot to discuss in here! I'd especially recommend this book to be read in the month of October - if you read this, you will know why. Hint, no not because of Halloween.

​The cover caught my eye - I loved the greens and the blues, and the casual prettiness of it. And for the cover whore like me - thats an important aspect of the book.

​I do have to say th
Katie B
Aug 31, 2018 rated it liked it
When ninth grader Becca was in the hospital, her friends made a Saturday Night Live style video to cheer her up. Twenty five years later, the group of friends, Becca, Jordana, Seth, Holly, and Lex, have made plans to celebrate the anniversary of the video and Becca's good health. However, nothing seems to go according to plan, relationships will be tested and some things will never be the same.

I thought this was an interesting idea for a story, a group of teenagers who share a lifelong bond due
Amy
Aug 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: physical-arcs
The Cast has one of my favorite structures in a book, it’s told from several various perspectives and gives the reader the opportunity to see the dynamics of a group of lifelong friends through all of their eyes. I love the insight this provided into their thoughts, feelings and emotional processes and felt pretty bonded to these five people by the end of the book.

I think anytime an author writes an ensemble story it must be tricky to maintain different voices for each character and Blumenfeld d
Jamie Rosenblit
Apr 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs
4.5 wonderful stars for The Cast!

I am hands down a sucker for books about friendship that evolve over time and take place from multiple perspectives (The Interestings, anyone?!?) and when I learned that this was going to be the format of The Cast, I was immediately interested. Blumenfeld does a wonderful job of giving voices to each of the characters that really let the differences in each of their personalities shine. I loved seeing how the relationships changed over the years from childhood to
Francesca
Mar 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book! It is a must read at the very least for women in their 40s yet relevant far beyond and before that. The characters develop vividly: their beings and emotions feel palpable. If I could have I would have read it one sitting; I had to force myself to put it down each night. It was like an unfolding movie. The choices these women and men make are choices we face and they give you pause, making you wonder what you yourself might do at each juncture with no choice being e ...more
Karen R
Aug 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
I enjoy reading books written in multiple perspectives. It helps me as a reader better understand the drivers behind behavior. The Cast is told from the perspectives of five friends. I loved the depth of their friendship and growth over the course of 25 years. Each were relatable and well-played. A very entertaining story and makes for a great beach read.
Linda Zagon
May 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My Review of “The Cast” by Amy Blumenfeld , GetRedPr Sparkpress August 14,2018

OMG! WOW! I loved everything about “The Cast” by Amy Blumenfeld. Kudos to Amy Blumenfeld for her storytelling and her vivid descriptions and colorful cast of characters. I was captivated and enthralled with this emotionally charged intense novel. The Genres for this Novel are Fiction and Women’s Fiction. The story takes place twenty five years before in the past, and the present.

The characters in this story are complex
Janelle Janson
Thanks so much to Get Red PR for providing my free copy of THE CAST by Amy Blumenfeld- all opinions are my own.

This surprising and lovely debut is exactly what I needed to read right now. The story centers around a group of old friends at 40 years of age who decide to have a reunion. This cast of characters (Becca, Holly, Jordana, Lex, and Seth) have all been friends since childhood and have kept in touch throughout Becca’s cancer diagnosis of Hodgkin’s lymphoma as a teenager and treatment. When
Lynda Loigman
Sep 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This novel was filled with so much warmth and emotion. The author created characters I felt like I knew, and I so enjoyed sharing their lives for a little while. I highly recommend!
Rebecca
Aug 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, debut, ninja-read
Childhood friends--Becca, Jordana, Holly, Lex, and Seth--reunite years later for a weekend getaway. Will they all get along as well as they used to? Or, has time and distance changed their friendships?

Even though it was Becca who was diagnosed with Hodgkin's lymphoma when they were teens, her health scare affected all of them in numerous ways and for years to come. Even though there were a large cast of characters and numerous story lines, I didn't have any trouble keeping everyone straight and
Anna
Apr 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: beta, 2018
The Cast is an emotionally charged story that involves several main characters all trying to have a great weekend for THE main characters, Becca. There is a Big Chill-esque quality to the friendships in this cast of characters. So much raw emotion. Kudos to the author for harkening me back to the early 90s of my youth.
Tammy(PeaceLoveBooks)
The Cast is a bit of The Big Chill with Friends mixed in! I loved this story of childhood friends dealing with all the problems in adult life, health issues, marriage, jobs and children. Amy Blumenfeld’s writing made me feel that these characters were MY friends! The Cast is a must read from a debut author!
Katie
Aug 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
I requested an advanced reader's copy of this book from NetGalley because I love books about close groups of friends who reunite after many years. I enjoyed what the author did with the novel with combining multiple points of view of the friends and spouses who came together to celebrate 25 years since the "cast" of friends made a Saturday-Night style video to cheer up an ailing friend. However, I didn't realize before I started reading it that the ailing friend had cancer and for personal reaso ...more
Karly
Mar 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
There's not much more important in life than good friends. When Becca is 15 she suffers from Hodgkin's Lymphoma and her family and tight knit group of friends fear she might not make it. One day the friends make Beca tape modeled after a Saturday Night Live show to try and cheer her up and thus The Cast is born.

Fast forward 25 years, Beca is happily married to Nolan and has a precious daughter Emma and best friend Jordy has planned a reunion of the cast to Celebrate Becca. But Beca has a secret
gifta alvina
Mar 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is exceeding my expectations. i thought this would be another slice-of-life story, centering the then terminally ill character, but it’s not. It is about the journey they have when they were growing up, about the choices, the heartbreak, the betrayal. The book also capture that when your loved ones is sick, especially with the serious-terminal illness, it will also affect you too. And it’s okay to be scared, it’s okay to be exhausted once a while.

I also love how the author portray the
Susie Schnall
Mar 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
In her captivating and wholly engrossing debut, Blumenfeld pulls the reader in from the very beginning. She deftly handles the perspective of multiple characters as well as writing about complicated issues with levity and grace. This well told story is timely and relatable and leaves the reader wondering how she would handle similar situations.
Elyssa Friedland
Mar 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Brimming with tenderness, humor and heart, The Cast expertly explores how the experiences in childhood forever shape our adulthood. Blumenfeld has created richly-drawn characters who are flawed and relatable and easy to root for despite their mistakes. This is a must-read novel!
Stella
Aug 16, 2018 rated it liked it
Reading other reader's reviews makes me think that maybe I'm too cynical. The Cast by Amy Blumenfeld is good, but it's not...life changing or super emotional.

The Cast is the story of a group of friends coming together to celebrate Becca Night Live, a silly video the friends made, in their childhood, for Becca who was suffering through childhood cancer. The time period if 15 years later and New York/Upstate New York is the setting. It's got all the makings of a good, friendship type book. Differ
Amy Lynn
Aug 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Lana
Oct 08, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I hated this book. Incredibly cheesy. The writing was terrible and just when I thought it could not get worse, the ending was extremely anticlimactic. I think all of the glowing reviews must be paid or fake.
Lolly K Dandeneau
May 03, 2018 rated it liked it
via my blog: https://bookstalkerblog.wordpress.com/
'Though I was snuggling on the sofa with my daughter, every other part of my being was back in that room over two decades earlier, experiencing Becca Night Live for the very first time.'

Twenty-five years ago Becca’s best friends Holly, Seth, Lex and Jordana gave her the gift of laughter with a video tape in the same style as Saturday Night Live to help her heal from a very serious illness, Hodgkin’s lymphoma. While her friend’s lives go on as th
Melissa
Dec 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was intrigued by the premise of this novel. Especially since the synopsis started by talking about a Saturday Night Live type of video. I used to watch SNL all the time in the 80s and 90s, so I enjoyed hearing about all the characters they were trying to be when I read about it in the novel.

The Cast is extremely well-written and it's hard to believe that this is a debut. The characters were strongly developed and their interactions and dialogue felt genuine and realistic. It was easy to visua
Vicki (MyArmchairAdventures)
Aug 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
Thank you @getredpr for sending me a free advance copy of The Cast! This was a thoroughly engrossing five star read for me by debut author and journalist, Amy Blumenfeld. The theme had a Big Chill feel for those of you old enough to be familiar with that movie but instead of gathering upon the death of an old friend, the group of friends is celebrating the 25th anniversary of their friend who is a pediatric cancer survivor. Maybe because I lost a friend and classmate to cancer when I was in 8th ...more
Jordan Caldwell
Aug 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The description of this book and any review I will write will never do this book the justice it deserves. Wow, what an amazing read! While the underlying theme of friendship and the lengths we go to to protect a friend are strong, the bigger issue of REAL LIFE is so well represented. I devoured this book so quickly—I just had to know what happened next.

Without giving spoilers—I HATED Nolan, cried for Holly, and celebrated Lexi. As for Jordana and Becca, I think we could all hope for a bond that
Heather Frimmer
Dec 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
I have to admit that I'm a sucker for the "getting the band back together" genre of books and this one delivers. I love the "cast" of characters. Each one is interesting and real with unique challenges to face during the course of the story. Blumenfeld's writing brought me right in to the the lives of the cast and the touches of humor kept the story from getting bogged down during the tragic moments. I really enjoyed this debit novel and I look forward to more from Blumenfeld.
Jeanne Calloway
Aug 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great summer read!
Beth Snyder
May 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Amazing...could not put this book down! Loved how it took the reader in from page 1 and did not you go till the very last page. Characters are very relateable. Highly recommend!!
Kelly
Aug 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
In 9th grade, Becca's group of 4 close friends supported her through her struggle with cancer. 25 years later, these same friends reunite to celebrate her years of good health. It was so interesting to see how Becca's health affected her friends throughout their lives. I felt that a couple of the characters were a bit immature, but I did find the story endearing.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Sophie Last Seen
  • Better Than This
  • The Taste of Air
  • Half of What You Hear
  • Time Out: A laugh-out-loud read for 2020
  • We Thought We Knew You: A Terrifying True Story of Secrets, Betrayal, Deception, and Murder
  • The Empty Nest
  • The Good Mother
  • That's Not a Thing
  • This Is Not How It Ends
  • The Herd
  • Dancing on a Moonbeam (Bedford Falls, 1)
  • Who She Is