Jump to ratings and reviews
He's a man of few words...

Troy Horvath doesn't need much outta life. His fellow firefighters, a good beer, and...well, one date with the most gorgeous woman in town couldn't hurt, right?

Penny is beautiful, sassy, and everything he doesn't need.

But she's exactly who he wants.

He knows from the get-go she isn't planning on staying in Sawyer. She just isn't a small-town girl. With those heels and her striking red lipstick, she's a firecracker, and destined for so much more.

But maybe, just maybe, he can make all of her big-city dreams come true – if only she'll give him a chance...

She may've friend-zoned him...

And now Penny's realizing that may've been a mistake. Troy is hot. Like, firefighter-calendar hot.

She swore when she came back to Sawyer to care for her mother, it would only be temporary. So…maybe a relationship with Troy could be temporary, too?

Except deep down, Penny knows Troy wants so much more, and there's a chance she does, too.

He's hiding something, though – something big.

Can she be the one to finally get him to open up?

And if she does, will their relationship survive the truth?

Burned by Love is the fourth novel in the Firefighters of Long Valley series, although all books in the Long Valley world can be read as standalones. It has some strong language, and oh my, sexy times. Enjoy!

250 pages, ebook

First published December 26, 2018

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Erin Wright

43 books337 followers
USA Today Bestselling author Erin Wright has worked every job under the sun, including library director, barista, teacher, website designer, and ranch hand helping brand cattle, before settling into the career she’s always dreamed about: Author.

She still loves coffee, doesn’t love the smell of cow flesh burning, and is currently living out her own love story in a tiny town in rural Idaho.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
3 (2%)
1 star
1 (<1%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 47 reviews
Profile Image for Emily Pennington.
16k reviews194 followers
January 7, 2019
Troy Horvath was known for being quiet which suited him fine, except that his aunt took it as proof that the world would pass him by. To Troy, it seemed that most women had to talk incessantly about feelings and anything else on their minds, and anyone who preferred to be more private had something wrong with them. Sparky was the only female Troy knew who didn’t require constant talking – but dogs are like that. Petting and feeding met her needs for a happy life and a lifelong bond. As for Troy, staying in the background made it easier to keep secrets he didn’t want revealed.

When Troy’s uncle retired as the fire chief, Jackson Anderson beefed up the training program to learn new firefighting techniques or safety procedures or anything else that was needed to make them better at their jobs. This time, Georgia Rowland had set up an interview with a local reporter about the wildfire where Moose Garrett had saved her life. The reporter was already 5 minutes late. So they all watched Moose and Georgia pretending to be friends as they looked longingly at each other and their relationship was all too obvious. Troy would rather be doing laundry at home. All of a sudden, there was silence in the room as the click of heels heralded the appearance of the most beautiful woman Troy had ever seen! Penny Roth was the reporter assigned to this story! As she shook hands with them, she asked questions about their firefighting careers. She even managed to spot Troy, who was trying to be inconspicuous in the corner! She even knelt down to shower love on Sparky who, being a formerly abused dog before Troy adopted her, had never made a fuss over anyone except Troy! The men were open-mouthed in shock. Who was this woman?

Both Penny and Troy feel the pull of their chemistry. But Penny is hanging on only long enough to find a decent job in the big city and get out of this small town. Troy loves it here and never wants to leave. Can these two find a way to work this out? Or will they choose to walk away from something very special? Each of them have conflicting dreams, and secrets that may tear them apart.

This author’s books are pure magic! She pulls the readers right into the town and makes them family! How could you not love these characters you know so well by now? It’s so nice to see Troy get his turn at happiness. Grab your book and don’t miss this one! Your Long Valley family is waiting for you to come home!
Profile Image for Elaine .
382 reviews2 followers
December 26, 2018
You will fall in love with Troy and Penny, and Sparky the dog!!

Troy is the quiet, behind the scenes hunky firefighter of Long Valley, who adopts the abused dog earlier. I am so glad that we get to have Troy's story because he is such a sweet, strong man who gets overlooked. Opposites attract in this case because chatty, outgoing Penny, who is doing a newspaper article in the volunteer fire department, instantly feels a pull towards Troy. But they are opposites in other ways too and Penny wants to "blow the pop-stand" that is small-town Sawyer and Troy doesn't want to live anywhere else. Their relationship seems impossible from the start but they cannot seem to stay away from each other, or keep their hands off. Can Troy woo her into staying in rural Idaho, by showing her how wonderful it can be, or will he be willing to give up family ties and commitments to follow her to a big city career? They each have their dreams, and secrets.

I love Erin's books because they are full of small-town charm, quirky sayings and humorous asides and observations. It really brings me back to Idaho! All of her books stand alone, with happy endings, but you will want to read the other 3 books in the series, as well as the books in the Long Valley series, to catch up on the other great characters you meet here. Burned in Love also has the excitement and drama of firefighting as well as the family ties that can become chains at times, and of course, lots of dogs. Burned is sexy, romantic, steamy and full of surprises. There is a nice depth to the story and a great ending! I volunteered to read and review an advanced copy since I have read and loved all of Erin's books, Enjoy.

Profile Image for Connie.
1,504 reviews4 followers
January 17, 2019
I received a complimentary copy of this book from NetGalley and I also purchased a copy.

This book had me a little conflicted. I adored Troy but Penny left something to be desired though. I thought at times she was pushy, self-absorbed, controlling and self-centered. But being in my 50's may have something to do with it. I couldn't understand why she would want to feign having a stomachache when Troy took her on a date to Copperton. She suggested all the other dates and was trying to get out of one that Troy was leading on. I just thought she needed to grow up. On other occasion she gets mad at Troy for not talking more. We discover Troy's secret (no spoiler here) and she literally breaks up with him and forces him to reveal that secret. My thought was Wow how childless can she be. But there wouldn't have been a story without it. In the end, Penny redeemed herself in my eyes at least in the end.

I adored seeing other couples from prior stories making appears. To learn how their HEAs continued on was wonderful to see. I just adored Long Valley and wished I could move to Sawyer, ID myself!!!

I do recommend this story to others. You don't need to read the prior stories to enjoy this one BUT I would suggest it though. They are great stories to get away from every day life on a readcation!
Profile Image for Lady M..
955 reviews2 followers
December 28, 2018
Oh where to begin? Let's see, I was half crushing on Troy back when Sparky made him her new bestie, so I knew I was going to love his story. I was not wrong! I have read everything Erin Wright has written, so it was awesome to hear from so many characters that we've met along the way. All the way from the beginning of Accounting for Love. If you haven't read anything yet, you really should. Each book is better when you know all of the characters. I stayed up till 3 am reading because I couldn't put it down. And I was legit disappointed when I turned the page and saw "epilogue". The story just moved along so smoothly, and just when you think you're settling in towards the happily ever after, something happens. Something big happens and you can't turn the pages fast enough to find out what happens. This story made me want to go back and read Moose and Georgia's story again, since this story starts after Inferno of Love, it actually runs around a similar time frame, so that was interesting too. Every Erin Wright book gets a 5 star from me, this series is just fantastic. My half crush on Troy turned full on crush pretty quickly in. And penny and her internal dialog just cracked me up. They make a great pair that's for sure
Profile Image for Lady M..
955 reviews2 followers
December 28, 2018
Profile Image for Stacy J..
1,315 reviews9 followers
January 1, 2019
What can I say about this book, I absolutely loved it. It had everything a great book should have. There was love, loss, humor, drama, danger, and understanding. I couldn't put this book down.

I loved the character of Troy. I have known my husbands best friend since high school and he stutters. He is an amazing man and I have watched time and time again as woman have turned him down simply because of it. Reading about Troy and the struggles he has gone through and what he has accepted in life because of it broke my heart. In my mind, he is everything a great man should be, he is loyal, helpful, caring, kind and genuinely just a good man. I hate that he had to hide so much of himself so he wouldn't get teased.

I really liked Penny. She was this loud, carefree, friendly woman who always had a smile on her face. Even though she was determined to leave, she was kind to the people that she met. I could understand her want to leave after putting her life on hold for her mother but after she saw her mother was doing better and being introduced to Troy's people, there were times that I wanted to have a chat with her and ask her where she would find a better group of people.

I would highly recommend this book
Profile Image for JigsawGirl.
2,908 reviews
February 6, 2022
3.5 stars. I was conflicted about Troy and Penny after she went off on him when they were out on a date. Troy's response was a complete surprise and seemed totally out of character for him. After learning more about his background I understood why it happened, but it was still unacceptable behavior.

I honestly was not feeling Penny. Constantly reminding Troy that she had no intention of staying in the Podunk town seemed a bit disingenuous knowing how Troy was beginning to feel about her. Maybe I was reading the situation wrong, but it seemed to me like Penny ran hot and cold.

Troy was not completely innocent. He was a bit judgmental. He proclaimed both Jackson and his cousin to be a certain way without knowing all the facts or giving either the benefit of the doubt.

It was a good story. The scene toward the end had a nice bit of suspense. I was expecting something at the end that never materialized. I thought the narration was pretty decent. I was glad they got their HEA, even if they weren't my favorite couple.
32 reviews
December 27, 2018
I must say that this story is quite good and flows really well which makes it a most enjoyable read. What i like most about the book is the hero. There is so much to troy then the quick glimpses you get of him in the other books in the series. This book makes you fall in love with him for all they right reasons and not just the typical romance novel reasons. The heroine is sassy and quick but a little self-centered. Happily she is also very likeable and you come to realize more misguided than self-centered. My only issue with this book is the timing or placement of the book in the series. this storyline is concurrent with a few other books and, as i have read them all, for me her references to other story lines were a bit confusing. I also found the references to other characters in the series were often more detailed than necessary and really didn't fit in with troy's and penny's story. All in all this book is very good and shouldn't be missed!

879 reviews4 followers
December 27, 2018
I received a free copy and am voluntarily leaving a review

Troy has always been quiet and no one has really seen him. Only his family knows the real reason why he doesn't talk much.
Penny is a reporter who is hell bent on eventually leaving Long Valley for a better job in graphic art in a big city somewhere just as soon as it is safe to leave her mom alone.
When she walks into the fire department to do an interview, sparks fly between her and Troy. She spends most of the time talking with him alone. After they are dating for a while and she realizes that she has done most of the talking and doesn't know much about Troy she confronts him as to why he doesn't say much.
What will she do when she finds out his secret? Will Troy be able to convince her that she can stay in Long Valley and still have her job she is looking for? Will they both be able to admit their love for each other before it's too late or will Penny leave anyway?
Profile Image for Margaret Watkins.
2,691 reviews52 followers
January 9, 2019
This is a story to tug at one’s heart, one that makes you realise that there are people in this world who hide in the shadows, that are indeed wonderful human beings. Troy is one of those people, despite his insecurities. His family knows why he doesn’t have much to say and his friends accept him as he is without question, but Penny is too inquisitive to keep her curiosity to herself. The bubbly newspaper reporter and the taciturn fire fighter make an unlikely pair, and yet they are perfect for each other. Troy’s gentle humour and considerate nature draw one to him, and despite Penny’s ambition, one cannot help but love her. The story is well written, making one stop and think about people with disabilities. I loved Troy’s intelligence even though he didn’t speak much. He’s a wonderful hero and Penny was the person to turn him around, despite her own questions about her future. I received a copy of this book through Booksprout and this is my honest and voluntary review.
Profile Image for Becky Claxon.
1,722 reviews8 followers
December 26, 2018
I felt bad that Troy didn’t speak much because he had a stutter and didn’t want people to know. So everyone just accepted that he was quiet. Well, everyone except Penny. It was great to see how outgoing Penny was, and how she didn’t give up until she found out why Troy didn’t say much. She is such a wonderful person, and the stutter was no big deal and she let Troy know. I admired her to come back home to take care of her mother when she had cancer even though her mother insisted she didn’t need help. It is crazy how we get ideas in our head about what we want out of life and where to find it. Sometimes what we want is right in front of us, but we are too stubborn to see. Penny was so good for Troy and brought out the positive thoughts with Troy. It is a sweet romance that I enjoyed. I encourage you to read the book. I voluntarily read an Advanced Reader’s Copy of the book.
Profile Image for Kym.
562 reviews
December 27, 2018
Burned by Love is the fourth novel in the Firefighters of Long Valley series and, although I’ve enjoyed ALL of the stories in this series, this one is especially touching!

As with all of the characters in this series, Troy and Penny have real-life issues...the kind many readers can identify with. With the depth of character development that Erin Wright gives her characters, they jump off the page as if you’re visiting with old friends. Friends that you are drawn to and want to hear their stories.

We all have challenges, decisions, responsibilities, etc. in our lives, but how we face these shapes who we are. Watching Troy and Penny make their choices and how it influences one another is what makes this story special!

Profile Image for Marichus Real.
2,199 reviews11 followers
January 8, 2019
Troy works in the grain windmill that belongs to his uncle and at the same time he is also a volunteer firefighter.
Penny works as a journalist for the local newspaper. All she wants is to get away from Franklin but because of her mother’s illness, she can’t.
There are a lot of things going on in Troy’s mind. He is a quiet person, what makes him a good listener.
The book is well-written and the characters are well-developed. The scene during the rescue from the fire is fantastic and very emotional. You can feel the hot air and the flames kissing you. You can feel the anguish and the pain of the characters.
I would say a lot more things, but that would reveal too much information and it is better you find that for yourself.
An author who grows with every new book and I recommend reading.
I received a free copy of this book via Booksprout and I am voluntarily leaving a review.
January 15, 2019
Oh how much can I take!! This work of art is so great!! Erin has gone above the stars on this one!! The quiet one, the old fire chiefs nephew, Sparky’s BFF, Troy! How hot is he!!! And for Penny to zone in on him while she was there at the fire house!!! And to bring him his very own copy of the article. That when the quiet reserved Troy Horvath opens his mouth and asks for a date! WHAT THE WHAT??? Hold the presses!! So the sparks really start to fly when she finds out why she does all the talking! What?? Can you say talk to me, let me understand!! All the back and forth between these two really set this book off into steam land!
Another exceptional book from Erin!! Thanks Jasmine the Writing Cat for keeping your momma writing!!

January 31, 2019
First I’m going to start from saying I have not read an of the past books in this series.
This series focus on a group of firemen in Long Valley finding their happily ever after.
This story is Troy and Penny’s.
Troy is the shy one, he is not used to be noticed at all after a range of fires hitting the valley and them surviving the disaster they now have a reporter a Penny coming down to interview them.
When Troy sees her he is speechless and floored the only woman he truly likes is his new dog Sparky.

Penny she was something she really liked Troy at first meeting and wanted him to take her on a date which resulted in her using her feminine wiles. But only one thing Penny is planning to leave Long Valley and head for the city life she has always been craving.

Can these two even get a relationship started.
This is an awesome read and now I know I need to backtrack and read the others.
85 reviews
December 27, 2018
Burned by Love is the fourth book in Ms. Wright’s Firefighters of Long Valley series and I loved it. Erin Wright does not disappoint in this story. about a quiet volunteer Firefighter and a reporter who fall in love and the obstacles they face in their personal lives as thy strive to realizing their HEA. This is Troy and Penny’s story. This storyline is a delightful read filled with romance, family issues ,surprises and also emotions. Ms. Wright is an exceptional writer and her characters have great chemistry together and I loved Sparky. I never like to give plot overviews so I will just say this series has become a favorite of mine and I highly recommend this story and this series.
I received an Advanced Readers Copy. It was a pleasure to read and review this novel.
February 8, 2019
Wonderful, beautiful story

This is my favorite in the Long Valley series. I laughed and I cried and couldn't put it down! This was a tender story of imperfect people who find each other. Both have other ideas about their lives before meeting. But once they meet? Their lives seem destined to be together. He works at a grain milk. She’s a graphic artist. She’s bubbly and social, He’s quiet and introverted. Poor Troy. He has stuttered all his life. Never thought he was the relationship type till he met Penny. After years of taking care of a sick mother all penny can think about is getting out of this town. Till Troy. Their love story is sweet, special, flawed and beautiful. I just loved this story. Cant wait for the next one.
Profile Image for Gwen Smith-leak.
222 reviews2 followers
January 1, 2019
Troy is a firefight who work at his uncle mill at other times he also has a dog Sparky that is his best friend.Troy doesn’t say much . Penny is a reporter who did a story on the the fire station ,she runs into Troy. His dog take off running to Penny that made Troy take notice.

They went on date that he did think was a date twice and went after each. Penny worried something was wrong men didn’t just drop you off and go. Penny could feel the chemistry between them by the time they had gone on five or more dates.. She told him you do is listen to me talk , there more to a relationship . She also keep telling him she would be leaving,that the town they in smothered her . See what Troy does and what he has to say
2,303 reviews7 followers
January 9, 2019
A sexy volunteer firefighter, a beautiful journalist, secrets revealed, a small town and so much more. Troy is quiet and always stays in the background observing. Penny goes to the fire station to write an article about Moose, Georgia and Sparky. She notices Troy right away even though he is trying not to be noticed. The chemistry between these two is electric and them getting to know each other was wonderful to read. This is the fourth book in the Firefighters of Long Valley and was well written. It grabs ahold of you from beginning to end with an extraordinary storyline and characters.

1,483 reviews6 followers
May 2, 2020
I read this story when it first came out and just reread it for the box set.
As I read I remember how much I liked Troy. The quiet soft spoken, when he spoken, volunteer firefighter who Sparky took to immediately.
Penny the reporter just waiting for her big break to get of the Podunk town can be sassy but she is also self centered and a little selfish.
These are attracted immediately but she's leaving and he wants to stay. Regardless they can't keep their hands off each other.
There are some missteps to their HEA. Penny needs to show she's not as selfish as she appears and Troy needs to trust a little.
I was given this book for an honest voluntary review
Profile Image for BP34.
5,464 reviews26 followers
December 26, 2018
This is the fourth book in the Firefighters of Long Valley series but can be read as a standalone. You'll love the story of Penny and Troy which is set in rural Idaho. They're opposites in so many ways and have different dreams, but their chemistry is explosive. They're drawn to each other. Are they able to combine their dreams and continue their relationship? Lots of hometown charm and likable characters. An entertaining and well-written story that was a pleasure to read. I read an advance reader copy via Booksprout and voluntarily chose to review
3,034 reviews25 followers
December 30, 2018
Burned by Love is the latest book on the Firefighters of Long Valley. I love that both Ms. Wright has two series set in Long Valley. Her books are stand alones but it adds so much to the experience when you know the backgrounds of so many characters. Burned by Love is the story of Penny and Troy who are both such amazing characters. I was totally engrossed in their story from the first chapter. If you have not been to Long Valley, take a chance and go. I highly recommend this book and all the Long Valley romances.
3,034 reviews25 followers
December 30, 2018
Profile Image for Vivian Chrisman.
2,751 reviews4 followers
January 3, 2019
It's always the quiet ones you have to watch out for. Troy is no exception. He stole my heart. When his "secret" was revealed, I felt my heart breaking for him. Then there was Penny. While she may have been what/who Troy needed, sometimes I wanted to shake her and say "just open your eyes and truly see what you have". That's how I know this was a wonderful story because I truly "connected" with the characters.

1,538 reviews5 followers
December 25, 2018
Secrets, will the chance at love make Troy give his up?

I love Erin's storytelling, she brings these characters and this small community to technicolor life. I like the way all of the interconnected personalities show up in each other's books. Troy and Penny compliment each other so well, but baggage, communication angst, and future plans work to keep them apart. And I felt their conflict, their struggle, their fun, their passion. This small town is well worth the visit.
3,896 reviews7 followers
December 27, 2018
Troy is a volunteer firefighter that has a few challenges in his life.

Penny is the gorgeous reporter who is attracted to Troy. But he goes from hot to cold on her and freezes her out.

I adored Troy. He’s the silent one, always aware but not a chatter. But he does ask Penny out. And does pretty heroic things like saving people from fire.
Recommend.

Profile Image for Nati.
2,018 reviews10 followers
December 28, 2018
Long Valley is definitely a place to live and love. This story is about Troy, a quiet volunteer firefighter in Sawyer, and Penny, a chatterbox city girl at heart. They can’t be more different but they feel an strong and deep connection. Can Troy and the people in Sawyer convince Penny that Long Valley is where she belong?

Profile Image for Margaret.
2,061 reviews7 followers
January 8, 2019
Awesome contemporary western & small town romance. Troy is a very quiet volunteer firefighter and works full time at his family’s mill. Penny is acting as a reporter but hopes to move elsewhere to go into graphic designs but there are many stumbling blocks. I love the way Ms. Wright develops characters and wonderful romantic stories. I received a commentary copy of this book Via Booksprout and chose to write a review. I look forward to reading future books by this author.
658 reviews2 followers
January 28, 2019
Troy is the strong, silent type whilst Penny is outgoing and talks non-stop. Burned by Love is their story and it is absolutely wonderful. Although this is part of the Fire fighters of Long Valley books it is also a perfect stand-alone. Erin Wright has a talent for creating genuine characters that are both interesting and likeable. I loved this book and have no hesitation in giving it five stars. I definitely recommend it.
Profile Image for Angie.
86 reviews
Real and Relatable
Erin Wright has a gift for making her characters real and relatable. Burned by Love uses the opposites attract trope and add wonderful depth to the characters while keeping the storyline moving along. Each of the main characters showed new depths from a new perspective but built on the stories previously told. I loved it!
Displaying 1 - 30 of 47 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.