Start by marking “Sawkill Girls” as Want to Read:
Sawkill Girls

Sawkill Girls

3.98  ·  Rating details ·  1,156 Ratings  ·  412 Reviews
Beware of the woods and the dark, dank deep.

He’ll follow you home, and he won’t let you sleep.

Who are the Sawkill Girls?

Marion: the new girl. Awkward and plain, steady and dependable. Weighed down by tragedy and hungry for love she’s sure she’ll never find.

Zoey: the pariah. Luckless and lonely, hurting but hiding it. Aching with grief and dreaming of vanished girls. Maybe
Published October 2nd 2018 by Katherine Tegen Books

To ask other readers questions about Sawkill Girls, please sign up.
Sean Amber Are questions like yours just ignorant and misplaced or simply LGBTQIAP+phobic? Now to answer: this book hasn't come out yet, so ratings are up…moreAre questions like yours just ignorant and misplaced or simply LGBTQIAP+phobic? Now to answer: this book hasn't come out yet, so ratings are up because, as it happens often, some people will be rating their expectations about a book by a favorite author rather than the book itself. And some people may have read an ARC and actually given their honest opinion, whatever it may be. The fact that Goodreads allows rating books before publication date is a complicated topic to duscuss but it's there, for better or worse.

Side note: the presence of "the right characters", whatever that may mean to any particular person, OBVIOUSLY make the book better. Duh. (less)

Melanie

ARC provided by the publisher via Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review.

“Decades of dead girls. Poor girls and rich girls. Black and brown and white girls. All of them Sawkill girls.”

Sawkill Girls is going to be such an amazing, atmospheric, spooky Halloween read for so many. The start of this book was phenomenal, and the first half was five star worthy in my opinion. I just, didn’t love the ending of this, but I think many of you will. And overall, I completely recommend this, and I ha
Claire Legrand
May 11, 2017 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
This is a book about girls--girls loving girls, girls kissing girls, girls being friends with girls, girls helping girls. Girls who hunger, girls who rage. Girls who fight, girls who make mistakes, girls who dream and pine. It's also about magic and monsters, family secrets and soul-friends, moths and wild horses and the churning wild sea, and trampling the patriarchy. I hope you love it as much as I do.
Kayla Dawn
Nov 04, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-books
Okay. Disappointing.

This had so much potential and I actually really loved the first third/half.
But it went so hardcore downhill after that.. I don't even really know what to say.

It evolved from a creepy, creative story with great, diverse characters to a way overdone, rushed, man hating mess.
I was so excited for the female empowerment (and I really really loved all the diversity!) but that quickly turned into painting man as the most evil beings on this planet.

I have a few quotes for you:

"I
destiny ♎ [howling libraries]
This is one of those reviews that I had to sit on for a while, because I had so many things I wanted to say about this book, and I just couldn’t quite figure out how to condense them into anything even remotely resembling a sensible length of review. Sawkill Girls is being marketed fairly heavily as horror, but it’s fabulism, too, with a world so gorgeously complex that I can’t ever quite determine if I adore it or am terrified of it.

Come for a while, reads the sign at Sawkill’s ferry dock, and
🦊 Jessi ♥️ H. Vojsk

Little fairy girl, skipping down the sea
Little fairy girl, pretty as can be
Who is the fellow with the bright clean grin?
Do you want, fairy girl, to weave a spell for him?

Story ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
When Marion, her mother and her sister arrive in Sawkill they hear about the missing girl, Thora.
They hear about the strange and creepy forest full of darkness and danger.
They meet Zoey who hates Val Mortimer more than anyone and anything, because Zoey is sure that Val has something to do with the disappearance
Camila Roy ••RoyIsReading••
RATING: 2.75 rounded up to 3/5

Let me start by saying that I LOVE horror. Spooky, creepy and bizarre is my aesthetic. Supernatural shows are my thing; I can't get enough of them. So, when I read this book's synopsis I was definitely intrigued. Plus, Claire Legrand is the author (she wrote Furyborn, one of my favorite books of the year).

As it turns out, Sawkill Girls wasn't for me. I considered raising my rating just for the sake of being polite. I didn't want other people to get discouraged fro
Hamad
Jun 20, 2018 rated it liked it
This review and other non-spoilery reviews can be found @The Book Prescription

"Beware of the woods and the dark, dank deep.

He’ll follow you home, and he won’t let you sleep."

🌟 To do this book right I have to admit that I went into it not expecting a horror story and by no means it was one. But I was checking GR and searching online and I saw many readers listed it as a horror book but Edelweiss -Thanks for providing a copy in exchange of an honest review- did not, so my expectations kind of cha
andrea caro
First of all, I want to give a very enthusiastic thank you to Julie for sending me this ARC. Not only was this one of two most anticipated reads of the year for me, she also left in her tabs color-coded to thematic elements in the story so this reading experience was kind of incredible and revolutionary for me.

Now, onto the review:

This book is spooky, queer, feminist, and full of women and I loved it. This story follows around several points of view, three of which are Zoey, Marion, and Val. Zoe
Alana • thebookishchick
Drop everything and add this to your October TBR's immediately.

If you like creepy, atmospheric books with badass females that keep you on the edge of your seat then look no further than Sawkill Girls. Earlier this year I read Claire Legrand's novel Furyborn and loved it. From her writing, to her characters, to her world-building I was instantly sucked into the story. So, naturally when I came across that the author was coming out with a new YA Fantasy/Horror novel with LGBT+ rep I couldn't add i
Nick
Sep 15, 2018 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
The cover is phenomenal.
Jes Reads
Oct 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 STARS. FULL REVIEW COMING WHEN IM NOT WORKING 60 HOURS AT WORK.
Ellen Gail

“With prose as fierce and uncompromising as its three main characters, SAWKILL GIRLS is a fresh and unflinching exploration of female friendship wrapped in a spine-tingling page-turner. Claire Legrand doesn’t hold back--and you won’t be able to put this book down.”
-- Courtney Summers

She resisted the urge to run her hands over her own arms, torso, face, just to make sure it was all there. It was magnificent, this body - not because it was beautiful and strong, though it was, but because it was
Lilly (Lair Of Books)
ARC received from the Publisher in exchange for a honest review
Lea (drumsofautumn)
Video Review

“Girls hunger. And we're taught, from the moment our brains can take it, that there isn't enough food for us all.”

This is such a strange little book and I had a hard time getting into it. I almost DNFed it, not because I thought it was bad but because I felt it wouldn't be for me. And the setting and storyline really wasn't for me.
But at its core this story is about feminism, female friendship, and love and it made me super emotional.

Let's talk about diversity!
Val is queer
- ̗̀ DANY  ̖́- (danyreads)
. : ☾⋆ — 5 ★

READ THIS REVIEW ON MY BLOG!!!

ARC provided from the publisher via Edelweiss+ in exchange for an honest review (thank you HarperCollins & Katherine Tegen Books!!)

WOW. wow. wow wow wow wow wow wow WOW!!!!

the island of Sawkill Rock has seen generation upon generation of girls go missing, never to be found again. it’s been like this for decades, and not a single missing girl case has ever been solved, not a single body found, so people have mostly resorted to l
Hollis
So, I'll admit I went into SAWKILL GIRLS with a wee bit of trepidation as my last Legrand experience was FURYBORN and that didn't go so great for me. But between the high praise and hype, and how much I enjoyed the dark and creepy WINTERSPELL, I had hope this would work out okay. And it did. Oh did it ever.

Fair warning, I thought the beginning was kind of slow and I don't think this book really took off until maybe 20%? But once it did I was just totally hooked.

Legends about monsters weren't so
Julie Zantopoulos
Claire's writing is beautiful, there's no denying that, but this story just didn't connect for me. Let's chat about the premise of this book:

Girls on Sawkill island have been disappearing for generations and island legend warns of a Collector who steals away said girls and does heaven knows what with them...but they're never seen again. Then three girls come into magical mystical powers and battle a deep dark evil that only they have the power to vanquish. Sounds pretty badass and spooky...righ
Amitaf0208
Oct 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars. There is a mix of genres going on in this one book. At times, it was exhilarating while at times, it was also frustrating. Overall, I did enjoy the ride and the ending.
mahana ✧
3.5 stars full review now on my blog
ARC kindly provided by Katherine Tegen Books in exchange for an honest review.

I was excited to pick this ARC up when I heard about the diversity in this book. I'm always keen to add more f/f romance to my recommendations repertoire, especially those that are from different, unique genres. When I started this, I was expecting a thriller with an underlying mystery to the disappearances of multiple girls on an island. Instead, we get a story reminiscent of
Sophie "Beware Of The Reader"
How does someone review a sample if not by telling if it did made me want to read the book right?

Well my Sawkill Girls sample (that I foolishly hoped would be the whole book) was like that one lone chocolate truffle you eat after your meal with your coffee: not enough. You immediately crave for a second then a third serving. Before you realize it you've eaten the whole box of truffles!
In other words: I need more words! I need the whole book!

I discovered Claire Legrand's writing with Furyborn and
Maria (Big City Bookworm)

- can we just take a second to appreciate this cover art? wow.

- I didn't even know this existed until just shortly before it's release which is a tragedy because it deserves all the hype.

- such a unique story with beautiful writing and an intriguing concept

- extraordinary girls bond together to defeat an ancient monster preying on young women? heck yes!

- diverse characters? check.

- my only comment, the action sequences were a little long and I started to lose interest in them towards the end of
Kristi Housman Confessions of a YA Reader
This is one of those books that sounded good, but I put off a bit because I wasn't sure if I would like it.  Luckily, it was so good and it's one that will stick with me for awhile.  I've found myself thinking about it multiple times since I finished it two nights ago.

Sawkill Girls is told by three girls.  Marion had just moved to the island with her mom and sister.  Zoey (my favorite), the police chief's daughter that recently lost her best friend.  And Val, the rich girl whose family is promin
Noura Khalid (theperksofbeingnoura)
description

Thank you Edelweiss and Katherine Tegen Books for sending a review copy in exchange for an honest review.

All of them Sawkill girls.

It took me a while to finish reading this since I'm currently on vacation. The atmosphere over here in Kenya is windy and cold, and is in fact a great place to read this. Sawkill girls is an extraordinary book. I admit that the cover drew me in, but the synopsis is definitely what sea
Elise (TheBookishActress)
"girls loving girls, girls kissing girls, girls being friends with girls, girls helping girls." the mood.

Arc received from the publisher via Edelweiss for an honest review. [ releases: October 2018.]
Zoë✨
Nov 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
SO. FREAKING. GOOD.

This is like everything that I wanted Spinning Silver to be. Haha. Total badass female characters. They all had such amazing character growth, and the pacing of the books was SPOT ON. This was also one of the best endings I’ve read— so many books rush their endings, and this was perfectly paced, really really well done. Easily one of my favorites of the year!! 👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼
Shannon (It Starts At Midnight)

I am starting to worry that the author and I may not be meant to be. Just like  Furyborn I genuinely liked some of the aspects of Sawkill Girls, but overall I felt like I was just slogging through. It's actually a sort of odd feeling- I can appreciate the good parts, but I can't quite connect? Well, speaking of the good parts, let's!

The Things I Liked:

•The atmosphere was fabulous
Kelly
This did zero for me and the characters were so boring and interchangeable. Way too long for not enough payoff.
Ellie (faerieontheshelf)
RTC — balancing between 3.5 and 4; this had some really great bits (sexuality rep w/ central f/f and ace characters) but also some elements I thought felt dissonant in the story.

Buddy read with: Amy | Julie | Jules | Imi | Laura & Mel

I heard this has horses so that’s the only reason why I want to read it??? We need more horse-y novels ok
Sana
Feb 16, 2018 marked it as anti-library
Shelves: arcs
HOT DAMN, WHAT A COVER

This is the 'angry, queer, feminist, patriarchy-trampling, moth-and-horse-filled horror novel'* that I need.

*Source
Stacey
Apr 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
the gays win this round
Claire Legrand used to be a musician until she realized she couldn't stop thinking about the stories in her head. A native Texan, she is now a writer and librarian living in central New Jersey.

Her first novel is THE CAVENDISH HOME FOR BOYS AND GIRLS, one of the New York Public Library's 100 Titles for Reading and Sharing in 2012. She is also the author of THE YEAR OF SHADOWS, a ghost story for mid
“It was stuck in a state of collapse, this pit - a tiny, organ-shaped singularity, sucking down the bleeding ravaged bits of who she used to be.” 5 likes
“Zoey aimed for wry nonchalance, to cover up how obviously chalant she was. Was that a thing?” 0 likes