Start by marking “Why Mermaids Sing (Sebastian St. Cyr, #3)” as Want to Read:
Why Mermaids Sing (Sebastian St. Cyr, #3)

Why Mermaids Sing (Sebastian St. Cyr #3)

4.16  ·  Rating details ·  5,641 Ratings  ·  405 Reviews
Murder has jarred London's elite. The sons of prominent families have been found at dawn in public places, partially butchered, with strange objects stuffed in their mouths. Once again, the local magistrate turns to Sebastian St. Cyr, Viscount Devlin, for help. Moving from the gritty world of London's docks to the drawing rooms of Mayfair, Sebastian confronts his most puzz ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 329 pages
Published October 7th 2008 by Berkley Books (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Why Mermaids Sing, please sign up.

Jonetta I wouldn't recommend it as part of the pleasure of the series is understanding the nuances of the characters' behaviors. There's lots of political…moreI wouldn't recommend it as part of the pleasure of the series is understanding the nuances of the characters' behaviors. There's lots of political intrigue that you'd miss by not at least reading the first book. (less)

Jonetta
Oct 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jonetta by: Lauren
Sebastian takes on another puzzling and gruesome case at the behest of Magistrate Lovejoy. Young men are being murdered, their bodies brutally treated with objects placed in their mouths. The case takes him down interesting and surprising paths.

This story is the best yet, written nimbly but without sacrificing the author's extraordinary skill in descriptively creating a strong sense of time, place and social atmosphere. I felt like I could see, feel and smell early 19th century London. The case
Phrynne
Mar 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Book number 3 and this series keeps getting better and better. This one starts of interestingly enough and then just gains more and more momentum. I could not put it down. I thought I could predict the situation with Kat and I could not have been more wrong. What an eye opener!!! Sebastian grows more and more likable as does young Tom. The mystery is pretty intense and gruesome but really it took second place to the family dramas. I loved it all and want to start the next one right now!
Carolyn
Oct 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical, mystery
This is the third in the St Cyr Regenct mystery series and the best so far. Perhaps that because The characters are becoming so familiar now and are all really interesting but maybe it's also because the plot was very dynamic, twisting and turning in different directions.

Sebastian St Cyr, Lord Devlin, has proved himself to be a super sleuth in the past and very adept at flushing out criminals in high society. So when a series of young men are found to have been killed in disturbing ways magistra
Emma
Dec 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another excellent mystery and quite a gruesome one. Sebastian is my Regency book boyfriend so back off everybody! Kat Boleyn is now out of the picture although I suspect it’s a temporary thing. We’ll see.
Annoying that the first half of the series (except maybe the first) is unavailable on kindle, but the series is good enough to make it worth getting the real books. ( I do love real books but kindle is so much kinder on my eyes!)
Lyuda
Another fine installment in the series and I am officially hooked and in love with smart and dashing Sebastian! The twists-and- turns of the story are particularly breathtaking.

Once again Sebastian involved himself in solving a murder or, in this case, multiple brutal murders of several young wealthy men who had no apparent connection to each other.
There are themes of revenge and taboos as well as honor, self-sacrifice, and trust. It’s definitely not a “cozy” mystery but it also not a story tha
Richard Derus
Mar 27, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rating: 4* of five

The Publisher Says: It's September 1811, and someone is killing the wealthy young sons of London's most prominent families. Partially butchered, with strange objects stuffed into their mouths, their bodies are found dumped in public places at dawn. When the grisly remains of Alfred, Lord Stanton's eldest son are discovered in the Old Palace Yard beside the House of Lords, the local magistrate turns to Sebastian St. Cyr, Viscount Devlin, for help.

Ranging from the gritty world o
❆ Crystal ❆
5 brilliant stars. This book was just amazing. The murder/mystery had a lot of twists. It kept me guessing the whole way through. I would have never in a million years guessed the villain.
Secrets were revealed and now there are more secrets to be reveled. The last few chapters felt like a run-away train and I was just hanging on while all of these life-changing events were happening one right after another. Of course I think Yates is "you know who." But, I'll just have to wait and see if I'm ri
Veronica
Three and a half stars

Ah, this was a tough one to rate for me. On the one hand, the murder mystery was interesting as this time around Sebastian finds himself on the hunt for a serial killer. The murders themselves are disturbing as is the story behind the killer's driving motivation. Secondary characters like Earl Hendon, Paul Gibson, and Lord Jarvis continue to add much appreciated flavor to the telling and Sebastian's interactions with them, however brief, usually give at least some clues to
Caz
I've given this a B+ for both narration and content at AudioGals.

C.S. Harris’ series of mysteries set in Regency England featuring aristocratic sleuth Sebastian St. Cyr is one I’ve been meaning to get around to reading for ages, but with the series now comprising eleven books with more on the way, I shifted it from my TBR to my TBL pile earlier this year. I enjoyed book one, What Angels Fear, a great deal and as a result, decided to carry on with the series in audio format.

I’m now up to book thr
Joanne
Nov 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Three books into this Regency mystery series and I'm hooked! Sebestian St. Cyr, Viscount Devlin, is the dashing hero with a complex and mysterious past.....and with each installment, another layer of his backstory is revealed and long-held secrets begin to come to light. The plots are clever, fast-paced, and atmospheric -- from the palace of the Regent to the slums and gritty underbelly of London, St. Cyr is drawn in to help solve grisly cases of crime and murder. Rich period detail, intrigue, r ...more
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question O 20 19 Jun 22, 2016 12:59AM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question K 19 16 Jun 21, 2016 06:03AM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question L 12 15 Jun 21, 2016 04:50AM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question E 19 15 Jun 21, 2016 04:25AM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question B 13 15 Jun 14, 2016 11:46AM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question F 17 13 Jun 14, 2016 11:45AM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question H 21 14 Jun 13, 2016 04:34PM
  • Whom the Gods Love (Julian Kestrel Mysteries, #3)
  • Dark Road to Darjeeling (Lady Julia Grey, #4)
  • Petty Treason (Sarah Tolerance, #2)
  • A Fatal Waltz (Lady Emily, #3)
  • A Body in Berkeley Square (Captain Lacey, #5)
  • The Mask of Night (Rannoch/Fraser Publication Order, #3)
  • Watery Grave (Sir John Fielding, #3)
  • The Limehouse Text (Barker & Llewelyn, #3)
  • A Grave Matter (Lady Darby Mystery #3)
22067
Candice Proctor, aka C.S. Harris and C.S. Graham, is the bestselling, award-winning author of more than a dozen novels including the Sebastian St. Cyr Regency mystery series written under the name C.S. Harris, the new C.S. Graham thriller series co-written with Steven Harris, and seven historical romances. She is also the author of a nonfiction historical study of the French Revolution. Her books ...more
More about C.S. Harris...

Sebastian St. Cyr (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • What Angels Fear (Sebastian St. Cyr, #1)
  • When Gods Die (Sebastian St. Cyr, #2)
  • Where Serpents Sleep (Sebastian St. Cyr, #4)
  • What Remains of Heaven (Sebastian St. Cyr, #5)
  • Where Shadows Dance (Sebastian St. Cyr, #6)
  • When Maidens Mourn (Sebastian St. Cyr, #7)
  • What Darkness Brings (Sebastian St. Cyr, #8)
  • Why Kings Confess (Sebastian St. Cyr #9)
  • Who Buries the Dead (Sebastian St. Cyr, #10)
  • When Falcons Fall (Sebastian St. Cyr, #11)