Start by marking “The Revolutionary (The Rogues, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Revolutionary (The Rogues, #2)

The Revolutionary

(The Rogues #2)

Liberate the Captives!

Revolutions run on sacrifice … and blood.

Three months a satellite prisoner, Portia wonders if the Brotherhood has left her to die—until she plunges into the domain of a smuggler contacted by her brother. But her rescue comes with a price tag, and now, she must forfeit her identity to act as a spy. She learns that her enemies want the Dome to approve m
Published March 20th 2018 by Write Integrity Press

To ask other readers questions about The Revolutionary, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Revolutionary

Start your review of The Revolutionary (The Rogues, #2)
Randy Tramp
May 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
In a futuristic world, Portia becomes a spy in order to liberate captives and create a revolution. She's a strong character, attempting to find her identity while others try to create it for her.

The history of America is sprinkled into the story. (I love it.) Lesson learned in the book: Don't forget the history of yesterday or the freedom that came from bloodshed will be gone.

There's continual action throughout the book, creating tension that leaves you hanging onto every word. I found myself th
Ashley Jones
Jan 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
If "The Revisionary" is a dystopian with heart, then its sequel, "The Revolutionary," is one with guts!

Portia used to be concerned with herself and her family, but a taste of the government’s tyranny has opened her eyes. Once a “revisionary,” Portia is now a “revolutionary,” determined to do whatever it takes to free every political prisoner in the slave camps. This is a timely story of heroic selflessness in the face of oppression. It is sure to resonate with readers of all ages and background
Ruth
Jan 23, 2018 added it
I read this book really quickly. It helped that I'd been looking forward to seeing what happened to these characters, and I'm please to report that I'm happy with some of the growth arcs and story trajectories. A fuller review to follow upon the book's release.

Note: I was given a copy of this book in advance of publication and was not required to provide a positive review.
Charles
Jan 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Hogrefe delivers another rivoting book. Set in a future USA in the year 2051, we experience an America far from what we want to think possible, but all too believable. Darker than Orwell’s 1984, Revolutionary is buoyed by a group of rebels who have at least a ghost image of U.S. history and a hope to restore that which was good for all.

Hogrefe has cleverly interlaced people in places of power and authority whose greedy goals conflict. The established rule is definitely under attack, but who is t
Glenn Haggerty
Feb 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Revolutionary continues this dystopian tale at a furious pace and with heart-pounding suspense. The concentration camp breaks down the heroine, nicely revealing common human fragilities, and yet she remodels into courage, resourcefulness, steadfastness and compassion which she wears like a badge. The relational intrigues, including the romance and spirituality, were captivating. This is an entertaining and edifying sequel to The Revisionary.

In the year 2050, Portia Abernathy languishes in a
T
Jun 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The author did a fine job with the second book in this series! Her characters were real in the fact that they cursed at times revealing their evil side, but the reader didn't need to read what they said by the authors presentation of it. Lastly, there is some romance in the book, but it is not the main focus! Can't wait to read the resolution of this trilogy. The books are truly winners! I would have confidence in giving them to the young adults I know.
Suzette
Mar 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I am a huge dystopian genre fan. I have enjoyed the Hunger Games and Divergent series, but in my opinion, The Rogues series is even BETTER than them, and "The Revolutionary" kept me on the edge of my seat. Not only does "The Revolutionary" take a great storyline and add adventure to it, but it also adds meaning and purpose. Moral truths and values taught and shared without changing the thrill of the story. I cannot wait for the next book to be released because I have to know what happens to Port ...more
Jeanette Fallon
Apr 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
The Revolutionary by Kristen Hogrefe

Very intense and nail biting story. I was a little lost in the beginning but quickly became immersed in Cotton/Sage/Portia's quest for freedom. I enjoyed the suspense and the struggle she was going through.

It took awhile for me to see the connection as an Christian story but it did come together. We all are lost until we accept Jesus as our Savior. When we do, we know that with his strength and guidance we can get through anything. I am not a science fiction
Brendon
Jan 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Rogue world keeps on getting bigger and better! With complex characters and thought provoking plot lines, this second installment was impossible to put down. Whether a student or spy, Portia is a lovable heroine who shows the reader what it looks like to do the right thing, regardless of the cost. Yet we enter a world where "the right thing" isn't always so black and white. This is a fun and inspiring read for young adults who want to make a thoughtful and positive impact in the world.
Fizzy
This book picks up right where ‘The Revisionary‘ left off. Portia and Gath heading to a satellite to serve their sentences for the trumped up mess they found themselves in. I have to admit, I didn’t love this book quite as much as the first. I knew the characters, I knew the lay of the land so to speak, and I knew what was going on at the big picture level. However, I got dragged down with the details. I still loved the book and I am desperately hoping there will be another installment in these ...more
Margaret Kazmierczak
Apr 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My Penny's Worth

The Revolutionary by Kristen Hogrefe is the second in the Rogue series and a worthy sequel. You can read my review of the first book The Rivesionary here.

Portia Abernathy continues her fight from the first book and with it the skilful writing of Kristen Hogrefe emersed me in the middle of the conflict once again. And how she fights! But what can this nineteen-year-old do about her desperate situation? Her sense of justice propels her forward which I can identify with.

What I liked
Deana Dick
Apr 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book and loved the adventure it took me on. I don't read much young adult books, but I can tell that I have been missing out. What I liked most about the book was the details of how fighting for freedom resonates with what people are doing today. The main character Portia is one fierce young woman. I know she is destined for big things and I loved reading about her transformation. It must have been hard for her to feel alone without family around.

What would it be like to b
MJSH
Apr 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is the first book by the author I have read and it was quite enjoyable. I did not read the first book in the series but was still able to fully engage with the characters and the plot. I do wish I had read the first book The Revisionary before reading this one though. It would have allowed me to appreciate better the main characters’ past relationships with each other.
The writing is easy to read, the characters are real and multi-dimensional, the plot is gripping and fascinating, and the i
Jessica Baker (A Baker's Perspective)
This book is kind of like Hunger Games meets Divergent meets the depths of the mines. I’m going to be completely honest, after reading the first chapter I was not too sure I was going to like the book. I just didn’t think it would be my cup of tea. Then I read chapter two. And three. And four. You see where I am going with this? I fell in love. It was so intriguing and unlike anything I’ve ever read. Not only was it futuristic, imaginative and full of action, it was also easy to connect with Por ...more
Phyllis
Apr 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Talk about a page-turner! Make sure you give yourself plenty of time to read this book because you won’t want to put it down. With twists and turns and not knowing who to trust, this story was great fun to read.

I loved the way that Portia now has a friendship with Gath, the gage (what we would think of as a policeman or maybe even Gestapo) who was always around when she was getting into trouble in The Revisionary. And how she told him a riddle each night while they were in the Satellite (prison)
Sierra Peterson
Mar 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book grabbed me from the very beginning, despite the fact that I had not yet read the first book when I read this. Still, that didn't stop me from being able to grasp the situation and completely fall in love with the world and its characters.

The characters were well fleshed out, each having a clear motivation for their actions as well as personality. Portia's motivation changes slightly, growing larger, throughout the story as she struggles to pinpoint exactly what she wants. This adds so
Christina Myerly
Apr 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Revolutionary is a futuristic novel that begs the question of what would happen if history is forgotten. Throw in the heroine’s struggle with identity, and you’ve got yourself a perfect fit for a young adult read.

Be prepared to disappear into the pages of this book, as it is a gripping tale. I didn’t have the advantage of reading the first book in the series, but I could still follow along. However, I highly suggest you read the first book before beginning the second. This trilogy isn’t mean
Joan
Apr 10, 2018 rated it liked it
This is the second book in a series and the first should be read before this one as there is not enough back story included in this novel to help readers truly understand the ongoing plot.

The major theme of this part of the ongoing series is identity. The novel opens with Portia imprisoned and being referred to as merely a number. She plays many roles in this book, such as servant and spy. There are also those with whom Portia interacts whose identity often puzzles her. She is told that Gath, a
Debbie
Apr 24, 2018 rated it liked it
"The Revolutionary: Liberate the Captives" by Kristen Hogrefe is the second book in the "The Rogues" series. I guess some readers would enjoy it as a standalone but I am glad I read the first book in the series first because "The Revolutionary" starts where the first book ends.

If you like books about corrupt government and spies and revenge then this a series for you.

I think there should be a third book because this book left me with questions like, where is..... and what really happened to Por
Katie
Apr 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Despair, lack of identity, guilt, anger, and all kinds of emotion collide with a glimmer of hope and humanity in The Revolutionary. Keeping my mind spinning and on the edge of my seat would be an accurate description of me reading this book. The author did so well in helping you feel the pain of our characters in being treated less than human. We also sense the small glimmer of hope as the book goes on that there may be a way to freedom, yet without some sacrifice. The description of the world o ...more
Ashley Dawn
Apr 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a good but heavy book. Definitely not a 'lighthearted' read but worth a read none-the-less. You absolutely need to read the first book prior to reading this book so you get the full effect. A page turner, there is plenty going on to keep you intrigued. I liked Portia. It was intriguing to read about her changes and growth as a character. It happens as you read and you don't even realize it until you stop and think about it.
She doesn't know who to trust. There are stories about many and
Jennifer  J.
Apr 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A decidedly well-written, riveting, memorable, provocative, intriguing and highly recommended book! The Revolutionary, second in Hogrefe’s dystopian The Rogues series, continues where The Revisionary leaves off while amping up the pace; propelling the reader through a roller-coaster of plot-and-people twists, turns, dips, flips and crashes. You’ll definitely want to read these books in order but it is well worth every word as you are drawn deeply into the characters’ lives and cause. Justice! Tr ...more
Becky Van Daniker
Apr 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Move over The Hunger Games and Divergent, there’s new dystopian series in town. The Revolutionary by Kristen Hogrefe is the second novel in The Rogues and will leave you at the edge of your seat wanting more. I enjoyed this wild adventure with moral principles and truths sprinkled throughout. I love how Hogrefe intertwines historical events and people from the 1700s and ties into a futuristic world. This makes her stories all the more unique and entertaining. I can’t wait to see what is in store ...more
Janice Sisemore
Apr 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018
The Revolutionary

What a story. This a little different than from what I usually read but it kept me interested though out the book. An action packed adventure book. Set in time that is in the future. Portia is brave and a hard worker. When looking at information about the book I seen it was second in a series but did not seem to be a continuation. Loved Deidra in the book, a type of mother figure. Some other very interesting characters in the book. I recommend this book for anyone that reads th
Joann Claypoole
Mar 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Hungry for more after I purchased and read The Revisionary, Hogrefe delivers another resonating tale in her sequel, The Revolutionary. I couldn't put it down! The Rogue world evolves and we see how Portia's motivation, decisions, struggles, and selfless heart mold and equip her for more than she ever thought she was capable of. But doing the right thing might cost her everything. This thought provoking story gripped my heart with every turn of the page. Great read.

I received an advance copy of t
Virginia Winfield
Apr 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this dystopian novel. This is book two and I would recommend reading book one first but you can figure out what is happening without reading the first one. This had many twists and turns and I can’t wait to read book three. This really kept my interest. I loved the characters. I received a copy of this book from Celebratelit for a fair and honest opinion that I gave of my own free will.
Marji Laine
Jan 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Epic! Readers who enjoyed The Hunger Games or Divergent, dystopian dreamers who long for hope, this series is for you! Start with THE REVISIONARY!
Betty
Jul 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: All readers, especially YA
Recommended to Betty by: Facebook post
The Revolutionary—I was hooked by the opening paragraph. The rest of the paragraphs kept me turning pages far into the night. What happens afterward starts a romp that doesn’t quit, even as the book winds up (on a high note, leaving a smile on my face). I can’t wait to read the next one.

Hogrefe mixes suspense, espionage, angst, pain, and anxiety into the pages, along with a hint, and sometimes more than a hint of romance. Her characters are real and flawed. They fit smoothly into the story line;
Alicia Beck
Apr 11, 2018 rated it did not like it
My Review
​The Revolutionary is number two in a series. The setting for this book is in the future with it being year 2051. If you pick up this book get ready cause it is not a light sweet read. This is along the same kind of style as The Hunger Games and others like it . This story had a lot of twists in it. I found it a little scary . I have not read the first book in the series. There was imprisonment in this story and adventure. Who was to be trusted was not a simple thing to know. Disclaimer
Meagan
Jun 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
An excellent second book in the series! Looking forward to finishing the series out and discovering what happens to these intriguing and endearing characters.

• Guide Your Mind, Guard Your Heart, Grace Your Tongue
  • Foremost (The Lost Princesses, #2)
  • Hereafter (The Lost Princesses, #3)
  • Harley Merlin and the Mystery Twins (Harley Merlin, #2)
  • The Innkeeper's Daughter (The Bow Street Runners, #2)
  • Mortal Sight (The Colliding Line, #1)
  • The Simple Soul of Susan
  • A Loyal Heart (An Uncertain Choice, #4)
  • A Reluctant Bride (The Bride Ships, #1)
  • The Captive Heart
  • Storms in Serenity (Serenity Key #1)
  • The Captured Bride (Daughters of the Mayflower, #3)
  • Points Worth (Kingdom of Ruins, 0.5)
  • Plunge Into Darkness (Plunge Into Darkness, #1)
  • Wild Country (The World of the Others, #2; The Others, #7)
  • Running (A Jim Mitchell Novel)
  • The June Boys
  • A Bound Heart
Kristen Hogrefe Parnell writes suspenseful fiction from a faith perspective. She's an award-winning author and life-long learner who enjoys starting her day with Jesus and coffee. She and her husband live in Florida, the perfect setting for their many outdoor adventures. You can find her blogging at kristenhogrefeparnell.com where she challenges young adults and the young at heart to find faith in ...more

The Rogues (4 books)
  • A Cord of Three Strands (The Rogues, #0.5)
  • The Revisionary (The Rogues, #1)
  • The Reactionary (The Rogues, #3)