Start by marking “Internment” as Want to Read:
Internment

Internment

3.91  ·  Rating details ·  12,527 ratings  ·  2,884 reviews
Rebellions are built on hope.

Set in a horrifying near-future United States, seventeen-year-old Layla Amin and her parents are forced into an internment camp for Muslim American citizens.

With the help of newly made friends also trapped within the internment camp, her boyfriend on the outside, and an unexpected alliance, Layla begins a journey to fight for freedom, leading a
Published March 19th 2019 by Atom (first published March 18th 2019)

To ask other readers questions about Internment, please sign up.
Lee No, beautiful language with wonderful quotable lines, but not in verse
The Wicked King by Holly BlackKing of Scars by Leigh BardugoThe Gilded Wolves by Roshani ChokshiFinale by Stephanie GarberA Curse So Dark and Lonely by Brigid Kemmerer
YA Novels of 2019
882 books — 3,026 voters
The Wicked King by Holly BlackKing of Scars by Leigh BardugoNinth House by Leigh BardugoThe Priory of the Orange Tree by Samantha ShannonThe Red Scrolls of Magic by Cassandra Clare
Can't Wait Books of 2019
1,466 books — 3,998 voters

More lists with this book...

·  12,527 ratings  ·  2,884 reviews

Start your review of Internment
Hannah Greendale
A powerful premise that crumbles under weak execution. According to Ahmed, Internment takes place '"fifteen minutes" into America's future.'* It's a terrifying "What if?" that sees seventeen-year-old Muslim American Layla, and her family, gathered against their will and shipped to an interment camp for Muslims who have been labeled prisoners of war.

Blunt is the word best-used to describe this book. Delivery of ideals and themes is heavy-handed. Everything is blatantly on the nose, spelled out i
megs_bookrack

This hurts my heart, y'all. I do not want to write this review.

Internment was one of my most anticipated reads of 2019, I'm so sad it didn't work for me.

One reason for my excitement was that this novel explores topics that need to be included more often in fiction.

This book did touch on many issues salient in today's world, such as: Islamophobia, xenophobia, the dangers of an 'us vs. them' mentality, the politics of fear, the importance of resistance movements in initiating change, black op site
Lala BooksandLala
Apr 01, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2019-releases
Important topic. Horrifying circumstances. Necessary perspective. Just could have been better as an overall narrative. Fuller review within this video: https://youtu.be/jqL3ZMvLqvg ...more
Bang Bang Books
Feb 24, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: contemporary
A two star is harsh-I know but it had to be done.

Last year I said I was no longer going to say that a writer is bad; I was going to start saying that their writing was not for me. In this case, I'll have to go back on my word and say that I don't think Ahmed is a good writer.

I thought the idea was good but the execution...YIKES!!!

Problem #1-The World. It's set in a not so distant alternate universe but Ahmed doesn't explain it; she just assumes the reader will fucking figure it out...um, no. If
Jenna
Dec 14, 2018 rated it liked it
File:Manzanar Flag.jpg
(Scene of barrack homes at Manzanar, a War Relocation Authority Center for citizens of Japanese ancestry during WWII, by Dorothea Lange)

Internment is a timely work of fiction, imagining what could easily happen in an America where people are controlled by fear and prejudice. In an America where Donald Trump is elected president. In an America where people gullibly follow the populist, who rants and raves about building walls and "making America great again".

Set shortly after the 2016 presidentia
Fadwa (Word Wonders)
Original review posted on my blog : Word Wonders

TW: Islamophobia, slurs, displacement, internment camp, violence, torture, electrocution, gunshots, death.

If you know me, you know that this one of my most anticipated releases and I’m still in a little in denial about the fact that I read it back at the end of 2018, and it’s all done. I admittedly didn’t love it as much as I hoped but I still have a lot of love for it. I will go in detail about the why of it a little further down in the review bu
Vicky Again
Mar 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Internment is not a perfect story. But it is so, so powerful.

Especially given recent events, books that fight Islamophobia are so important and I hope they will show future generations the consequences of perpetuating bigotry and hatred. I can only hope that Internment will shed light on the dangerous paths people–high profile and everyday–have taken in normalizing Islamophobia.

Because Islamophobia is not okay, even if it’s meant as a “joke.” Internment shows a dangerous future that ma
jv poore
I really and truly wanted to write a review for this phenomenal YA fiction that is so perilously close reality...it kinda takes my breath away. I cannot find the words.

Read it.

If you dare.
Saajid Hosein
Apr 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Miss Samira came through with the book, but left with my wig.
halfirishgrin
There is a lot to love about this book, especially since it focuses on some grim realities for Muslims in our world today, along with the possibility of a pretty grim future for us too.

I'm mostly rating this 3 stars because I feel like this book didn't push enough, when it should have. For me, it was strongest when the book really dug into the history of interning marginalised people under propaganda and oppressive leadership. Like the parallels Ahmed draws to WWII and Nazi concentration camps
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
RTC after tonight's liveshow, which is happening at 7pm PST on Kassie's channel. ...more
human
(2.5/5)

"oh, corporal reynolds, hold me in your strong manly arms as i swoon for the millionth time- oh wAIT AREN'T YOU MY OPPRESSOR BEGONE HEATHEN" *proceeds to be held by him while he says things typical of the enemy love interest* - my darling friend (I said I was going to steal that, didn't I 😉), who happened to read this book around the same time I did but managed to say everything far clearer than I will :))

Honestly, I'm more disappointed in this book than in my own existence.

I think my mai
pdbkwm
Jul 03, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I feel horrible about my feelings towards Internment and for the one star. From a reader's standpoint, this is probably the worst book that I've read all year. I didn't care about the writing, I don't think any of the characters felt real or were fleshed out and the premise, while having tons of potential, felt more like an after school special than anything else. It just felt shallow.

And this hurts. It hurts because Internment is about Muslims and I’m a Muslim. The rise of Islamophobia is stead
Suad Shamma
May 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019, favourites, own
So. I’m surprised at the amount of negative reviews this book has gotten. Seems like the only thing readers got out of the story is a 17-year-old girl obsessed with her boyfriend and not fit to lead a revolution. That makes me kind of sad, to tell you the truth, and super disappointed.

The expectations people have these days…unreasonable. They strip down a really important story into tiny details that, honestly, are not important to the overall plot.

Yes, Layla was obsessed with finding a way to
Rushda
Mar 27, 2019 rated it it was ok
thought it had moments of real, powerful strength, certain events towards the end of the book brought down the rating.

weirdly enough, the trump-era setting of this book is one of its weaknesses. although trump has been blatantly islamophobic, his presidency is in no way the first to incite anti-muslim violence and discriminatory (im)migration policies. in fact, the events of this book seems even more plausible in the bush era when being islamophobic was "acceptable" and a key part of the "war on
laurel [the suspected bibliophile]
When the president's new Exclusion Act sends American-Muslims into "camps," Layla decides that enough is enough. She's going to fight back. No matter what the cost.

Four years ago, this book's premise would be ridiculous. Over the top. No way in hell would America ever lock its own citizens into concentration camps "for their protection and for the protection of the country." Never again.

Fast forward to today.

Not only is this an entirely plausible scenario,, it's also one that has happened, in so
*mk*
Nov 23, 2018 rated it it was ok
I thought this book had a good message at an important time but would have been much better in a different writer’s hands, or perhaps if it had taken a more mature tone. I thought the writing was sometimes inspired and sometimes amateur-ish. I almost wish the book had spent more time with the how it all happened, too. The villain was so cartoonish, I wish the author had gone much more subtle with that. The teenage dialogue was stilted and immature (though this may be a personal problem; I have i ...more
Justine
Jun 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-read, audiobook

This book is set 15 minutes in the future, but it feels like it's happening right now. It's a frightening yet realistic look at the path America is on and what that potentially means for Muslim Americans and other non-Christian and/or non-white people.

The migrant workers and immigrants whose status is currently coming under scrutiny and fire, and their horrific treatment by the current administration shows the camp imagined in Internment already effectively exists in the United States.
nivedha
Nov 17, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: owned
rtc when i'm not furiously covering for a far-too-relaxed group partner.
---
i did not like internment very much. i understand the point the author was trying to make, but it just felt too rushed to me. the characters were bland and boring, and the plot was predictable and old.
layla, the protagonist, was one-dimensional. does she feel any emotion other than anger? she's reckless and foolish, and doesn't consider the safety of people around her. sure, starting a revolution is important, but not on
CC the Great is Not Okay
TOTAL READING TIME: 4 hours, 34 minutes.

Wow. That was... Jesus Christ, that was intense.

A book I found this to be similar to was Mark Oshiro's Anger is a Gift. Both explore current, real-life issues--Islamophobia in the Trump era and police brutality against Black Americans, respectively. Both also have slight elements of science fiction--Anger is a Gift features militaristic weapons (that sounded futuristic in my opinion but for all I know could be real weapons that aren't being used yet) and I
Kassie
Apr 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
A POWERFUL read. This book set my anxiety on high during the first 2/3-3/4. Samira Ahmed illustrates clearly how today’s America could become this dystopian and it was terrifying.

I knocked a star off because the ending felt a little too easy, a little too clean. It was jarring how wuickly we went from this horrifying reality to the fix.

Still a highly recommended read, and i can’t wait to discuss at the end of April on my channel for Sassy Book Club.
Pernille Ripp
Oct 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was lucky enough to receive an advance review copy of this book, and what can I say, this is a must read. Even if the book is incredibly hard to read at times it is meant to start conversations about the state of our country and what we can do to be the America we need to be.
Rachel
Nov 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was hooked on Internment from the very beginning, and I couldn’t stop reading. However, this book was hard to read because it felt so realistic — set “fifteen minutes in the future,” it’s scary to think what people in power can do out of fear.
Enne
”America is built on life, liberty, and pursuit of happiness. All those things have been ripped away from us, and I believe that every American who came before us, who stood up to oppression, who fought to guarantee our right to religious freedom, is looking down on us and telling us to rise up, to speak out, to shout our names to the world. We stand on the shoulders of giants. We are Americans. We make America great. This is our country. And we're taking it back.”

4 stars
TW: Islamophobia (c
Librariann
Dec 13, 2018 rated it it was ok
Okay, listen. I wanted to like this book, and I did plow through it, but the initial conceit required SO MUCH suspension of disbelief as portrayed in this book that I just could not. Do I think it's possible that America could detain Muslims based only on their religion? Absolutely. However, would they do it in THIS particular fashion? COULD NOT BUY.

- Single camp established as a "model," includes ENTIRE FAMILIES of people, from toddlers through teens.
- No real assessment of what criteria was u
Lou
Mar 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Internment is a timely and politically urgent young adult novel which explores life as Muslim-American in the not too distant future. It's an all too real tale of division and hurt between communities but also hope. Islamophobia and racism are at the heart of it all, and I think the reason it's been causing such a stir is because people realise that it isn't too far from becoming our reality. This is a stark warning, a call to action, and an order to stand up, be counted and resist the bigotry, ...more
Kate (GirlReading)
Powerful, moving and chilling to the bone.

A brilliantly written story of resistance, hope, the strength of teens and the power of fighting for you right to live.

The opening chapter was like a sucker punch to the gut. I physically flinched numerous time throughout the book, which is something I rarely do but the most terrifying this about this book? It should have felt fictional, like some way of dystopian but instead, it was all too real. This kind of scenario shouldn't be happening but it is,
Angel
Feb 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is one of the hardest books I’ve ever had to read, but with every page, it became more and more obvious that this is a book that kids should be given in schools, the way I was given NIGHT by Elie Wiesel and THE GIVER by Lois Lowry.

I’ve also seen reviews of the book calling it “heavy-handed” and too obvious in its themes. I do want to caution adult readers like myself to remember that this is a book for kids and teens, some of whom may be coming face-to-face with these parts of American hist
Sara (A Gingerly Review)
I'm going to be honest - I enjoyed parts oft his, but a whole lot of the story fell on the *extreme* side of the spectrum. Parts of the story made me roll my eyes whole others did make me cringe. I heavily skimmed the last 100+ pages because they were full of empty flashback dialog that really had nothing to do with the story. The story has power and I wish I could have given this more than 3 stars.

Frtc

Huge thanks to the publisher for sending an arc in exchange for my honest opinion.

----

Full rev
Kelly
A total gut punch of a read set "fifteen minutes in the future" but reads like it is happening right now (because it is). A story about Muslim internment camps in America and about the girl who resists, rebels, and ultimately brings down the system.

Some of the themes that really resonated with me in this one included what it means to be home or have a home, whether or not movements are built on anger or fear, and what it means to resist. I'm going to dig into those with Samira at 57th Street Boo
ARTBA 2020: Internment 2 13 Jun 14, 2020 03:10PM

• SHOUT
  • On the Come Up
  • Punching the Air
  • Clap When You Land
  • Dear Justyce (Dear Martin, #2)
  • Monday's Not Coming
  • The Love & Lies of Rukhsana Ali
  • The Poet X
  • Opposite of Always
  • Pet
SAMIRA AHMED was born in Bombay, India, and grew up in Batavia, Illinois, in a house that smelled like fried onions, spices, and potpourri. She currently resides in the Midwest. She’s lived in Vermont, New York City, and Kauai, where she spent a year searching for the perfect mango.

A graduate of the University of Chicago, she taught high school English for seven years, worked to create over 70 sma

Articles featuring this book

Welcome to the world of irresistible young adult fiction! Every month, our team takes a look at the books being published and how they're...
“The scariest monsters are the ones who seem the most like you.” 22 likes
“A compass doesn’t tell you where you are, and it doesn’t tell you where you have to go. It can only point you in a direction. It’s up to you to always find your true north.” 19 likes