Start by marking “Internment” as Want to Read:
Internment

Internment

Rebellions are built on hope.

With the help of newly made friends also trapped within the internment camp, her boyfriend on the outside, and an unexpected alliance, Layla begins a journey to fight for freedom, leading a
Expected publication: March 19th 2019 by Little, Brown

To ask other readers questions about Internment, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Internment

Jenna
Dec 14, 2018 rated it liked it
Internment is a timely work of fiction, imagining what could easily happen in an America where people are controlled by fear and prejudice. In an America where Donald Trump is elected president. In an America where people gullibly follow the populist, who rants and raves about building walls and "making America great again".

Set shortly after the 2016 presidential election, Internment is the story of Layla Amin, a 17 year old Muslim American. In this story, Muslims are rounded up and placed in Ma
Elise (TheBookishActress)
Feb 01, 2018 marked it as releases-2019
check out this cover!! this premise is going to be so hard to get right but I think Samira Ahmed is just the person to do it 👌
Tadashi Hamada
Feb 07, 2018 marked it as to-buy-soon
I love how this is a comeback to the mess that is American Heart. LMFAOOOOOOO.
Pernille Ripp
Oct 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was lucky enough to receive an advance review copy of this book, and what can I say, this is a must read. Even if the book is incredibly hard to read at times it is meant to start conversations about the state of our country and what we can do to be the America we need to be.
Rachel Strolle
Nov 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book honestly made me feel like I was going to throw up and the fact that the scenario within it's pages is not impossible is absolutely terrifying.
Rachel Polacek
Nov 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was hooked on Internment from the. Wet beginning, and I couldn’t stop reading. However, this book was hard to read because it felt so realistic — set “fifteen minutes in the future,” it’s scary to think what people in power can do out of fear.
Noura Khalid (theperksofbeingnoura)
I’ve been blessed with an ARC of this glorious book! 😭💜
Thank you Hatchette book group!
Tina Panik
Oct 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, india, war
This book has the power to do what The Hate U Give has done: evolve the conversation on tolerance in America. Layla’s courage will resonate with readers of all faiths.

This was an ARC.
Mavence
"Set in a horrifying near-future United States, seventeen-year-old Layla Amin and her parents are forced into an internment camp for Muslim American citizens." This is quite a relevant read and IM SO EXCITEEEDD FOR 2019
Jessica
Oh, man. I was really excited for this book and I really wanted to love it. But I thought it was just okay. Full review to come.
ellie
Jul 02, 2018 marked it as to-read
holy shit that cover is EVERYTHING.
USOM
Oct 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
(Disclaimer: I received this free book as a gift from a friend. This has not impacted my review which is unbiased and honest.)

Internment is immediately terrifying. It feels gripping, visceral, and real. Ahmed doesn't mince words. I don't even know if it's classified as science fiction or contemporary. But Internment is emotional and captivating. There's a perfect balance that Ahmed strikes between being horrifying real while also being inspirational and hopeful. In the face of adversity, of hatr
Jen Petro-Roy
Oct 29, 2018 added it
Shelves: 2018, arc, ebook, ya
Terrifying and incredibly powerful.
Christine Stamper
Nov 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Hate U Give meets The Handmaid's Tale in this slightly futuristic and dystopian version of America in which Muslim Americans are placed in internment camps. Ahmed's book starts out disturbingly satisfying, as Layla describes how the real life statements and policies of Trump's American led from our current world to the horror of the book. The book shines in showing not only the resistance of Layla and her friends, but also through the life and humor that the characters exude, even during the ...more
Lori
Jul 02, 2018 marked it as to-read
I cannot take my eyes off this cover...it’s gorgeous *wipes tears* This is officially one of my 2019 anticipated reads for sure. A Muslim-American Teenager is in an internment camp and fighting for freedom. I’m READY to cry and feel empowered along side Layla.
Jillian Heise
A necessary book that should be in all middle and high school classrooms and libraries.
V.W.
Jul 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
YES. Now people can wash their brains free of American Heart. #sorrynotsorry
Trisha
Disturbing. All too possible.
MK
Nov 23, 2018 rated it it was ok
I thought this book had a good message at an important time but would have been much better in a different writer’s hands, or perhaps if it had taken a more mature tone. I thought the writing was sometimes inspired and sometimes amateur-ish. I almost wish the book had spent more time with the how it all happened, too. The villain was so cartoonish, I wish the author had gone much more subtle with that. The teenage dialogue was stilted and immature (though this may be a personal problem; I have i ...more
Amy
Oct 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Many, many thanks to the publisher for providing me with an ARC of this title. All opinions are my own. I requested it after seeing the cover on a Booklist Webinar featuring upcoming titles and the cover (and author) were enough to hook me. Once I read the blurb for the story, I knew this had the potential to be amazing. And, spoiler alert, it is. Samira Ahmed has crafted a story that will haunt you, shake you, inspire you, and leave you with a completely unsettled feeling deep in your gut. This ...more
Librariann
Dec 13, 2018 rated it it was ok
Okay, listen. I wanted to like this book, and I did plow through it, but the initial conceit required SO MUCH suspension of disbelief as portrayed in this book that I just could not. Do I think it's possible that America could detain Muslims based only on their religion? Absolutely. However, would they do it in THIS particular fashion? COULD NOT BUY.

- Single camp established as a "model," includes ENTIRE FAMILIES of people, from toddlers through teens.
- No real assessment of what criteria was u
Markie
Dec 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is amazing, and in a world where anyone that is not "with" the current people in power, this is a must read.

Samira Ahmed does it again with an heartwrenching, truthful, and to-the-point story set in a "15 minutes in the future" of America. The wall has been built. A registry was created. Then Muslim men and women started losing their jobs. Their children started to feel unsafe at school. Then one night in California, the first internment camp is filled. And one poet's 17-year-old daug
Tara
Nov 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
“We’re all too busy looking away and trying to believe it’s a collective nightmare we will eventually wake up from” is a line from this novel that haunts me as I reflect on having powered through reading it all in one sitting.

An excellent Young Adult novel that addresses Islamophobia and complicit silence in a futuristic internment camp, Samira Ahmed’s book is one that echoes history and cautions repetition.

Our protagonist Layla is an empowering teen who just wants the basics of extra long sho
Emily Knosher
Nov 28, 2018 rated it really liked it

Thank you to Samira Ahmed for giving us Layla, the Strong and Independant Female Character that we are always promised, but never actually get. This time we got her. This book is so important. Samira Ahmed spares no one and calls out everyone. This book is incredibly shady and I am 100% here for it. Her characters were so easy to fall in love with and falling into this story was effortless. The only reason I docked off .5 stars is because the writing wasn't amazing, but the story made u
Rebecca
Dec 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This book is beautiful and terrifying and hopeful in equal measure. I'm still processing all of my thoughts about it, but I can already say it's going to be a hugely important book when it comes out next year, and I hope it's assigned to classrooms all around the country. Everyone should read this book.
Isabel
Oct 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
When all political hell breaks loose, and your friends and family have lost their civil liberties, what choice do you have but to stand up and resist? Welcome to the Resistance.

A depressing, yet hopeful read, that directly parallels our current political realities.
Mary
Dec 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Excellent teenage story of strength, resistance and hope! Far too close to our current reality!!
Camden
Nov 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is the best book I've ever read. It's infuriating and inspiring at the same time, truly a feat of modern art.
Patricia
Nov 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Amazing - must read for adults as well as a young adult audience.
Eli Susman
Dec 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely inspiring. During a time where America is as divided as it’s ever been. Sakura Ahmed shines light and the problems and fights for change. Resist.
« previous 1 3 next »
SAMIRA AHMED was born in Bombay, India, and grew up in Batavia, Illinois, in a house that smelled like fried onions, spices, and potpourri. She currently resides in the Midwest. She’s lived in Vermont, New York City, and Kauai, where she spent a year searching for the perfect mango.

A graduate of the University of Chicago, she taught high school English for seven years, worked to create over 70 sma