Start by marking “Internment” as Want to Read:
Internment

Internment

Rebellions are built on hope.

Set in a horrifying near-future United States, seventeen-year-old Layla Amin and her parents are forced into an internment camp for Muslim American citizens.

With the help of newly made friends also trapped within the internment camp, her boyfriend on the outside, and an unexpected alliance, Layla begins a journey to fight for freedom, leading a
Published March 19th 2019 by Atom

To ask other readers questions about Internment, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Internment

King of Scars by Leigh BardugoThe Wicked King by Holly BlackThe Gilded Wolves by Roshani ChokshiChain of Gold by Cassandra ClareDescendant of the Crane by Joan He
YA Novels of 2019
769 books — 1,806 voters
King of Scars by Leigh BardugoThe Wicked King by Holly BlackChain of Gold by Cassandra ClareHouse of Earth and Blood by Sarah J. MaasThe Priory of the Orange Tree by Samantha Shannon
Can't Wait Books of 2019
1,262 books — 2,914 voters

More lists with this book...

Hannah Greendale
A powerful premise that crumbles under weak execution. According to Ahmed, Internment takes place '"fifteen minutes" into America's future.'* It's a terrifying "What if?" that sees seventeen-year-old Muslim American Layla, and her family, gathered against their will and shipped to an interment camp for Muslims who have been labeled prisoners of war.

Blunt is the word best-used to describe this book. Delivery of ideals and themes is heavy-handed. Everything is blatantly on the nose, spelled out i
Lala BooksandLala
Important topic. Horrifying circumstances. Necessary perspective. Just could have been better as an overall narrative. Fuller review within this video: https://youtu.be/jqL3ZMvLqvg
Jenna
Dec 14, 2018 rated it liked it
File:Manzanar Flag.jpg
(Scene of barrack homes at Manzanar, a War Relocation Authority Center for citizens of Japanese ancestry during WWII, by Dorothea Lange)

Internment is a timely work of fiction, imagining what could easily happen in an America where people are controlled by fear and prejudice. In an America where Donald Trump is elected president. In an America where people gullibly follow the populist, who rants and raves about building walls and "making America great again".

Set shortly after the 2016 presidentia
Fadwa (Word Wonders)
Original review posted on my blog : Word Wonders

TW: Islamophobia, slurs, displacement, internment camp, violence, torture, electrocution, gunshots, death.

If you know me, you know that this one of my most anticipated releases and I’m still in a little in denial about the fact that I read it back at the end of 2018, and it’s all done. I admittedly didn’t love it as much as I hoped but I still have a lot of love for it. I will go in detail about the why of it a little further down in the review bu
Adiba Jaigirdar
Jan 04, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya
There is a lot to love about this book, especially since it focuses on some grim realities for Muslims in our world today, along with the possibility of a pretty grim future for us too.

I'm mostly rating this 3 stars because I feel like this book didn't push enough, when it should have. For me, it was strongest when the book really dug into the history of interning marginalised people under propaganda and oppressive leadership. Like the parallels Ahmed draws to WWII and Nazi concentration camps
Vicky Who Reads
Mar 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Internment is not a perfect story. But it is so, so powerful.

Especially given recent events, books that fight Islamophobia are so important and I hope they will show future generations the consequences of perpetuating bigotry and hatred. I can only hope that Internment will shed light on the dangerous paths people–high profile and everyday–have taken in normalizing Islamophobia.

Because Islamophobia is not okay, even if it’s meant as a “joke.” Internment shows a dangerous future that ma
Elise (TheBookishActress)
Feb 01, 2018 marked it as releases-2019
check out this cover!! this premise is going to be so hard to get right but I think Samira Ahmed is just the person to do it 👌
mk 🦖
Nov 23, 2018 rated it it was ok
I thought this book had a good message at an important time but would have been much better in a different writer’s hands, or perhaps if it had taken a more mature tone. I thought the writing was sometimes inspired and sometimes amateur-ish. I almost wish the book had spent more time with the how it all happened, too. The villain was so cartoonish, I wish the author had gone much more subtle with that. The teenage dialogue was stilted and immature (though this may be a personal problem; I have i ...more
laurel [suspected bibliophile]
When the president's new Exclusion Act sends American-Muslims into "camps," Layla decides that enough is enough. She's going to fight back. No matter what the cost.

Four years ago, this book's premise would be ridiculous. Over the top. No way in hell would America ever lock its own citizens into concentration camps "for their protection and for the protection of the country." Never again.

Fast forward to today.

Not only is this an entirely plausible scenario,, it's also one that has happened, in so
Rushda
Mar 27, 2019 rated it it was ok
2.5 - thought it had moments of real, powerful strength, certain events towards the end of the book brought down the rating.

weirdly enough, the trump-era setting of this book is one of its weaknesses. although trump has been blatantly islamophobic, his presidency is in no way the first to incite anti-muslim violence and discriminatory (im)migration policies. in fact, the events of this book seems even more plausible in the bush era when being islamophobic was "acceptable" and a key part of the "
Rachel
Nov 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was hooked on Internment from the very beginning, and I couldn’t stop reading. However, this book was hard to read because it felt so realistic — set “fifteen minutes in the future,” it’s scary to think what people in power can do out of fear.
Tadashi Hamada
Feb 07, 2018 marked it as to-buy-soon
I love how this is a comeback to the mess that is American Heart. LMFAOOOOOOO.
Pernille Ripp
Oct 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was lucky enough to receive an advance review copy of this book, and what can I say, this is a must read. Even if the book is incredibly hard to read at times it is meant to start conversations about the state of our country and what we can do to be the America we need to be.
Sara (A Gingerly Review)
I'm going to be honest - I enjoyed parts oft his, but a whole lot of the story fell on the *extreme* side of the spectrum. Parts of the story made me roll my eyes whole others did make me cringe. I heavily skimmed the last 100+ pages because they were full of empty flashback dialog that really had nothing to do with the story. The story has power and I wish I could have given this more than 3 stars.

Frtc

Huge thanks to the publisher for sending an arc in exchange for my honest opinion.

----

Full rev
Marcia
Vanochtend in de metro las ik Ingesloten uit terwijl de tranen over mijn wangen liepen. Wat een bijzonder mooi boek, met een actuele thematiek als vertrekpunt. Het verhaal is prachtig geschreven en o zo schrijnend. Een aanrader. Al kreeg ik er wel nachtmerries van.
Mijn complete recensie lees je op Oog op de Toekomst.
Kindling Micky
2.5-3 stars

This piece of dystopia-around-the-corner was thrilling for the first 10-15%. The context for INTERNMENT feels real, chilling and told through the eyes of Layla, the protagonist, I bought into this immediately. The idea of a Muslim ban that has come to full fruition with a camp in the desert, away from general American eyes, seemed totally feasible. This story needed to be told.

Layla was 17, she had a Yemeni-Jewish boyfriend, progressive Muslim parents and a cast of great internment fr
Bang Bang Books
Feb 24, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: contemporary
A two star is harsh-I know but it had to be done.

Last year I said I was no longer going to say that a writer is bad; I was going to start saying that their writing was not for me. In this case, I'll have to go back on my word and say that I don't think Ahmed is a good writer.

I thought the idea was good but the execution...YIKES!!!

Problem #1-The World. It's set in a not so distant alternate universe but Ahmed doesn't explain it; she just assumes the reader will fucking figure it out...um, no. If
Lou
Mar 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Internment is a timely and politically urgent young adult novel which explores life as Muslim-American in the not too distant future. It's an all too real tale of division and hurt between communities but also hope. Islamophobia and racism are at the heart of it all, and I think the reason it's been causing such a stir is because people realise that it isn't too far from becoming our reality. This is a stark warning, a call to action, and an order to stand up, be counted and resist the bigotry, ...more
Lucy Banks
Feb 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received a copy of this book from Netgalley, in exchange for an honest review.

Great message, glad to see the issues being openly explored.

When I read the blurb for this book, I was very keen to read it. The state of the world's politics at the moment is deeply concerning, not least the ugly undercurrent of racism in certain places; so I was eager to read a book that confronted those issues head-on.

So, what's it about? Set 'fifteen minutes in the future', Layla is a ballsy, no-nonsense teenager
Librariann
Dec 13, 2018 rated it it was ok
Okay, listen. I wanted to like this book, and I did plow through it, but the initial conceit required SO MUCH suspension of disbelief as portrayed in this book that I just could not. Do I think it's possible that America could detain Muslims based only on their religion? Absolutely. However, would they do it in THIS particular fashion? COULD NOT BUY.

- Single camp established as a "model," includes ENTIRE FAMILIES of people, from toddlers through teens.
- No real assessment of what criteria was u
Rachel Strolle
Nov 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book honestly made me feel like I was going to throw up and the fact that the scenario within it's pages is not impossible is absolutely terrifying.
Kelly
A total gut punch of a read set "fifteen minutes in the future" but reads like it is happening right now (because it is). A story about Muslim internment camps in America and about the girl who resists, rebels, and ultimately brings down the system.

Some of the themes that really resonated with me in this one included what it means to be home or have a home, whether or not movements are built on anger or fear, and what it means to resist. I'm going to dig into those with Samira at 57th Street Boo
Manon
Mar 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
I was provided an ARC via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Set "15 minutes into the future," Internment focuses on Layla's story. Layla is seventeen, she has a boyfriend and used to look forward to prom and college. But not anymore. It started with her being pulled out of school, then a curfew, her boyfriend's parents forbidding him seing her, and then, white people show up at her door late at night and take her and her parents away, telling them they have ten minutes to pack and that'
Jessica Jeffers
Oh, man. I was really excited for this book and I really wanted to love it. But I thought it was just okay. Full review to come.
Evelyn Evertsen Romp
Apr 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tolino
Dit boek zit voor altijd in mijn hart.
Dat klinkt melodramatisch, maar zo bedoel ik het niet. Dit boek moet wel in mijn hart, omdat we nooit mogen vergeten dat de keuzes die wij als mensen maken, gevolgen hebben. Laten we alsjeblieft nadenken en zelf onderzoek doen naar uitspraken over andere mensen.
"De moslim" bestaat niet, net zomin als "de christen" "de homo" en zo kan ik nog wel uren doorgaan.
Ingesloten laat zeer krachtig zien wat vreemdelingenhaat kan doen, in de nabije toekomst, maar ook
Aly
Apr 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019, april-2019
Wow, this was so intense. I was enraged and despondent and had all the feels while listening to this. I felt that it was so real and we are on the path to this now. It's a call to do more, pay more attention, and don't stay silent when you see something wrong happening. Layla was scared, who wouldn't be, but knew what was happening was not right and spoke up. I saw some reviews that said she made too many waves and should have kept quiet. ARE YOU KIDDING ME?! No way should she have just followed ...more
Martina
Mar 11, 2019 rated it really liked it

This book was certainly not an easy one to read. But I have to admit that I liked it a lot.
It tells a story that it feels too much realistic, and that makes me shiver. It sets in a "fifteen minutes in the future" United States, where Muslim-Americans are being forced into an internment camp.
In the past, many internment camps have existed, too many, and we remember them all in order to not repeat tha
The Artisan Geek
Mar 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019, bookcase, arcs
5/4/19
NL: Mijn recensie staat op mijn Youtube kanaal: video
EN: My review is up on my Youtube channel: video

------------------------------------------------

19/3/19
I am so excited for this book! I received a copy of this book from Little, Brown Book Group via NetGalley. A sincere thank you to both!

22/3/19
NL: Ik heb vandaag van Blossom Books ook de Nederlandstalige hardcopy ontvangen. Hartelijk bedankt!
EN: Today I also received the Dutch hardcopy from Blossom Books. A sincere thank you!

31//3/19
NL:
Angel
Feb 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is one of the hardest books I’ve ever had to read, but with every page, it became more and more obvious that this is a book that kids should be given in schools, the way I was given NIGHT by Elie Wiesel and THE GIVER by Lois Lowry.

I’ve also seen reviews of the book calling it “heavy-handed” and too obvious in its themes. I do want to caution adult readers like myself to remember that this is a book for kids and teens, some of whom may be coming face-to-face with these parts of American hist
Maria
Feb 04, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: arcs, young-adult, sci-fi
Thanks to Hachette Book Group Canada for providing me with a free advance copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

I was really excited about this book, I thought the premise sounded super interesting and appropriate for the current political climate. I read Samira Ahmed's debut novel, Love, Hate, & Other Filters, last year and didn't really like it, but I was super optimistic about this book and even included it on my most anticipated books of 2019 list. I'm still really glad a b
YA Buddy Readers'...: Internment by Samira Ahmed--> Starting April 5 2019 6 12 Apr 05, 2019 01:40PM
  • Let Me Hear a Rhyme
  • There's Something About Sweetie
  • I Wish You All the Best
  • Dealing in Dreams
  • His Hideous Heart
SAMIRA AHMED was born in Bombay, India, and grew up in Batavia, Illinois, in a house that smelled like fried onions, spices, and potpourri. She currently resides in the Midwest. She’s lived in Vermont, New York City, and Kauai, where she spent a year searching for the perfect mango.

A graduate of the University of Chicago, she taught high school English for seven years, worked to create over 70 sma
“What’s that thing people always say about history? Unless we know our history, we’re doomed to repeat it? Never forget? Isn’t that the lesson? But we always forget. Forgetting is in the American grain.” 4 likes
“A compass doesn’t tell you where you are, and it doesn’t tell you where you have to go. It can only point you in a direction. It’s up to you to always find your true north.” 2 likes