Start by marking “Freckles (Limberlost, #1)” as Want to Read:
Freckles (Limberlost, #1)

Freckles

(Limberlost #1)

FRECKLES “This tender love story is set in the wild swampland of Limberlost, the most frightening place in America, and most beautiful. There, you will meet Freckles, the dashing, red-haired hero who battles cruel and ruthless villains to win the angel of his dreams. Read about Freckles and love him. It’s impossible not to!”
Published March 22nd 1986 by Indiana University Press (first published 1904)

To ask other readers questions about Freckles, please sign up.
Matt Hi Jill - I doubled checked the first chapter of the Junior Deluxe edition against a downloaded copy, and they appear to be exactly the same with no…moreHi Jill - I doubled checked the first chapter of the Junior Deluxe edition against a downloaded copy, and they appear to be exactly the same with no edits.(less)
Anfinwen Gene Stratton Porter's daughter Jeanette also authored a sequel called "Freckles Comes Home." She deviates a bit from what Freckles says he plans to…moreGene Stratton Porter's daughter Jeanette also authored a sequel called "Freckles Comes Home." She deviates a bit from what Freckles says he plans to do at the end of "Freckles" but it's still an interesting read. (less)

Teresa Carrigan
Jan 04, 2013 rated it liked it
This book was written several generations ago. When I first read it (more than 40 years ago?) it was a bit dated already, but a basic coming of age plus love interest story, with a lot of tidbits about nature thrown in. Rereading it now, I found myself noticing the cultural differences between now and when it was written. Most noticeable were these:

1. Class stratification. Upper class people were just plain not supposed to even think about marrying those from the lower class, particularly if it
Victoria Lynn
My favorite book in the whole wide world. Just read it. :)
Toni Miranda
Jul 24, 2013 rated it liked it
(Spoiler alert!) I chose this because I absolutely LOVE Laddie (also by the author). This one was okay. I would have given it one more star, but I didn't like the ending. Freckles was an orphan who didn't know his parents and who had a terrible childhood, but he turned into an honest, honorable young man. I didn't like that in the end it was inferred that he could only be such a fine young man if his parents had been rich or of noble birth. And then of course it turns out that he is the son of a ...more
Jessaka
Feb 23, 2015 rated it liked it
I began reading Gene Stratton-Porter's book when I was a teenager, and I realize now that as an adult, they are rather boring, at least to me.
I began reading Gene Stratton-Porter's book when I was a teenager, and I realize now, as an adult, they are rather boring to me, or at least this one was.

"Freckles" is a story about a one-handed man who is hired by a lumber company to keep other people from stealing trees in the Limberlost. As a naturalist, Gene Statton-Porter evidently sees nothing wrong
Mela
It was a charming tale. A sweet love story, a harmony of the nature, good and brave people, honorable and devoted feelings. In other words an old fashioned story.

One can't expect reality. If one does expect one will be disappointed. Because although there aren't dragons or magic fairies, such stories are too sweet to be true.

I think that if I had read it in a better matched mood I would have enjoyed it a little more. But still, I can appreciate a classic tale for young people. And I am going to
Amy
So much melodrama!
The story follows a redheaded, one-armed orphan boy who gets hired by a noble lumber baron to make sure no one steals his trees before he chops them down. Orphan boy is noble and good, falls in love with an equally noble girl, and nobly guards the trees through hell or high water.
The book was written in 1904 and the date obviously shines through. I've been trying to place the genre. It isn't women's fiction...the noble, male hero is clearly intended to inspire male readers. It
Tweety
Jun 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who enjoy and old-fashioned story
Even better than A Girl Of The Limberlost!

Freckles is and Irish orphan who has spent nearly all twenty of his years in a foundling home, stories abound of how, when he was only a few months old he was brutally beaten and left more dead than alive on the orphanage steps. Freckles wishes he knew for sure that it wasn't his mother who left him, that she loved him just as much as normal mothers do, after all, isn't that what every orphan dreams of?

Even once he has moved on to work as the Limberlost
Teri
A few of my friends had responded to the 10 book facebook challenge where you list 10 books that were meaningful to you in some way. A few people had mentioned "A Girl of the Limberlost" by Gene Stratton-Porter. Years earlier a co-worker had mentioned it and I had put it on my list and bought it on kindle. This book has kept haunting me so I felt it was time to finally read it. I went to look it up again and on goodreads it said Limberlost 2. Surprised, I looked up the first one in the series an ...more
Els
Needed some sweet fluff to get me through my homework. Proceeded to re-read the book in one sitting, didn't get everything done I needed to, woke up this morning and got ready like it was Tuesday and had a full day of chaos ahead.

So, yeah, thanks, Freckles, for altering my sense of time and reality.
Teri-K
Who could not love poor Freckles, abandoned as a baby with his right hand cut off, without a name or family? When he looks for work and bravely holds out his right arm with the missing hand... Well, cynics need not read this author's books, or those who are bored by description or dislike old-fashioned stories. But when you want to read an old-fashioned book that truly makes you feel good, try one of S-P's.
Caragh
I found a 1916 hardcover of this imperfect favorite in an antique shop this weekend, stepped back in time, and reread.
Ashley Williams
Jun 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lit-class
This was a delightful MG read! I loved every minute of it.
Monnie
Apr 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
Author, nature photographer and conservationist Gene Stratton-Porter was a favorite author of my late mother, also an Indiana native, who grew up perhaps an hour from what is now the Limberlost State Historic Site in Geneva. Stratton-Porter and her husband, Charles Porter, built a rustic 14-room log cabin home now far from the roughly 13,000-acre Limberlost Swamp in the early 1900s - and it was here that she wrote and five of her seven nature books and six of her 12 novels, including this one, F ...more
Lara Lleverino
I've read this story many times and love it more with each reading. Porter is a master at developing characters with fine souls; men and women of honor and persistence, of courage and truth and of purity of heart and purity of action.
Sara
Jun 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First reading: January 2014

Each successive reading gets better. The ending is terrible, however.
Tricia Culp
Oct 16, 2018 rated it liked it
This is a precious little book. Fits in the category I call Old-fashioned YA 😁 The nature writing is beautiful, the story is sweet, and it made me smile. It is a bit slow in parts, and the values are a little old-fashioned, even for me- but it would be a wonderful read for anyone who loves LM Montgomery or teens/tweens who like Louisa May Alcott. I will probably pick up the next book the next time I want something slow, nurturing, heartwarming and easy.
Hilarie
Jun 13, 2009 rated it really liked it
This is truly a forgotten classic. I first read it many years ago, and recently had the desire to pick it up again. I found that it was not as readily available as many other classics, which is certainly a shame as it is a wonderful book.

The story concerns a young orphan, named Freckles, who has personally experienced many of the worst aspects of humanity in his short life. Sadly, these experiences have left Freckles with only one hand, no material possessions, little education, and most importa
Ricky Orr
Jul 04, 2011 rated it liked it
My wife's 4th grade teacher awarded this book to my wife for her perfect attendance, with a note that the author lived around Fort Wayne. For whatever reason, the book sat on our shelf for all these years, unread. Because we recently visited Gene Stratton Porter's home, I decided to read the book.

What a straight-forward, sweet story, set within a simpler time around the late nineteenth century or the early twentieh century. It is a story about a young man, Freckles, orphaned as a baby, who knows
Rrshively
Jul 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is my favorite by Gene Stratton Porter that I've read so far. I like it even better than Girl of the Limberlost. Sometimes it's good to turn back the clock to the turn of the 20th Century and the type of writing common at that time. Of course it can be very sentimental, but can render such a good story! Most of the characters would be good role models. Freckles is such a brave loyal soul! As a side story, one can understand how the beautiful natural habitats were destroyed for the lumber an ...more
Yibbie
May 03, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books
You can really tell Gene’s love of plants and birds through her writing. She is so careful and thorough with her descriptions. Unfortunately, I’m not the naturalist she was and found the details a bit boring.
Once I got past that part, the first large section of the book, the pace picked up a bit. The first conflict was quite interesting. It was believable and well done. The second conflict, climax, wasn’t nearly as good. Maybe, it was the incredibly rushed timeline or the incredible string of
Kristy
May 11, 2014 rated it liked it
I would rate the first half of Freckles 4 or 4 1/2 stars. The last little bit was a 2, for me. So I averaged the numbers out to a solid 3. Nature-lovers and conservationists and yes, Louisa May Alcott lovers, should read this book and others by Gene Stratton-Porter.

If you have ever felt the power of the beauty of nature while standing in the midst of it, you will recognize the experience in this book.

A friend in our book group said that Stratton-Porter wanted to end the book differently but he
Jeanne
Wow, I’m not sure what to say about this one. Freckles is the one-handed Irish orphan who is trying desperately to make his way in the world. Luckily, someone gives him a chance. He is hired to guard timber in the swamp, and he proves to be quite the employee. Not only is he a loyal and vigilant guardian of the timber, he also become a bit of a naturalist. And, of course, he falls in love.

Oh, this is just so weird. The language is dated and strange, the plot is preachy and boring, and Freckles i
Cherie
Jan 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone who can read
I loved this book! I cannot say how many times I read it as a young girl. I wore out the cover. I loved Freckles and the Bird Lady. It was such a great story. It had everything,humor,suspense,loyalty,and beauty.
Deb
Jul 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the descriptions of the swamp flora and fauna, the story of Freckles falling in love and the action that surrounds protecting the land from timber thieves. I went through more tissues reading this, than watching Bambi.
Bookworm
Dec 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorite
I was first introduced to Gene's books by my Mom, who found a copy of Laddie for me, which started me digging for more of her books! Freckles is such a wonderful book, and I'm pleased to own my own copy now.
Mitzi
Jan 31, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: vintage-novels
A very sweet book, I think I enjoyed Limberlost just a little bit more, but this was a great story, with great characters. The end is a little too good to be true, but for this kind of book I don't think you can really want anything else... ;)
Elizabeth
Another treasure.

Having just read the two Limberlost books... I feel I need more. I may need to read them again right away or just daydream about the Limberlost, for I'm not ready to leave it yet.
Toni
Jan 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Wonderful story! The mix of nature study, character development, and love was beautiful. There are so many characters to adore. I will definitely read this again.
Melissa
Sep 16, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: book-club-pick
This was sooooooooooooo boring. I couldn't even bring myself to finish it.
Pat Murphy
Jul 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the last of three unrelated books that were in my parents possession since I was about 11. I am 63 now. I had always intended to read them, but didn't until now. The first two were Horatio Alger books, which I reviewed in here. This is the last one. Gene Stratton-Porter, the author, was a photographer, an author, and a naturalist. This comes out in the book. A good part of the story describes the Limberlost Swamp in Indiana in great, beautiful detail. This is an area which she studied an ...more

• Self-Raised
  • Mary Emma & Company (Little Britches, #4)
  • A School of Her Own (Grandma's Attic #6)
  • Mother
  • That Printer of Udell's
  • A Lantern in Her Hand
  • Clover
  • Calico Captive
  • Rose in Bloom (Eight Cousins, #2)
  • The Story of Eli Whitney
  • The Journeyman
  • Just David
  • Jane of Lantern Hill
She was an American author, amateur naturalist, wildlife photographer, and one of the earliest women to form a movie studio and production company. She wrote some of the best selling novels and well-received columns in magazines of the day.

Born Geneva Grace Stratton in Wabash County, Indiana, she married Charles D. Porter in 1886, and they had one daughter, Jeannette.

She became a wildlife photogra

Limberlost (2 books)
  • A Girl of the Limberlost (Limberlost, #2)
“He only knew that he had lived up to his best impulse, and that is all any one can do.” 12 likes
“Freckles never tired of studying the devotion of a fox mother to her babies. To him, whose early life had been so embittered by continual proof of neglect and cruelty in human parents toward their children, the love of these furred and feathered folk of the Limberlost was even more of a miracle than to the Bird Woman and the Angel.” 6 likes