Start by marking “The Filmmaker's Handbook: A Comprehensive Guide for the Digital Age” as Want to Read:
The Filmmaker's Handbook: A Comprehensive Guide for the Digital Age

The Filmmaker's Handbook: A Comprehensive Guide for the Digital Age

3.85  ·  Rating details ·  599 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews
For first time since its publication in 1984, "The Filmmaker's Handbook" -- the classic volume highlighting the techniques and technologies needed for the creation and production of movies -- has been completely revised and updated. Written by filmmakers for filmmakers, this essential text now includes the latest information on digital age filmmaking, where the shifting bo ...more
Published March 1st 1999 by Plume

To ask other readers questions about The Filmmaker's Handbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Filmmaker's Handbook

Mike
May 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well it took most of the summer to read, but was well worth it. If you ever thought filmmaking was fairly straightforward, take a crack at this book. From pre to post-production, scheduling a shoot and which equipment to choose and why, lenses and filters and sound systems and editing platforms/techniques, blocking a concept all the way to marketing and distribution, this book has it all, in almost ridiculous detail. Highly technical but unpretentious and readable. As assigned readings go, this ...more
Myka
Mar 12, 2013 rated it liked it
As most people have noted in their reviews, this is a reference book that feels a bit dated. However, it remains a useful introduction to the topic and had good tips for orienting a project. The technical information is perhaps the least relevant section of the book because this changes so quickly (as the authors surely knew) and so much of what's written no longer applies. Best read checked out from a library, borrowed from a friend, or bought at a used bookstore at a good price.
Markus Amalthea Magnuson
Be aware that this book is extremely dry. In fact, it's mostly a technical manual, although there are a few chapters at the end about other aspects of filmmaking. Framed like this, however, it really is a very good book if you want to make movies since every single aspect of the production process is detailed: cameras, lights, sound, editing, and many other areas, including logistics, legal, etc. I read it beginning to end, which may not be the best way, using it as a reference book makes more s ...more
Sara
Jun 03, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: did-not-finish
There are many forms of film production, and what I was looking for was a book that focused more on the business side of film production. This book is far more technical. It would make a good reference for camera operators, editors, and sound technicians. It would also be useful for the filmmaker that actually has a film budget in which to purchase/rent equipment.
Chandra Ryder
This book is called "the bible" for a reason and it does not disappoint. Chock full of great tips, history, and in-depth information on all parts of media production, this book is a must for any content creator.
Vishwesh Devadas
Sep 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Bible for digital filmmaking.
Danielle
Jul 03, 2017 rated it did not like it
Didn't get through it.. big and wordy.
Kelsey O'Brien
Oct 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was very helpful and detailed for any digital age filmmaking.
J.
Jul 20, 2012 rated it it was ok
This would be a great reference, if it weren't so dated. It needs to be gutted and reborn for the digital era, basically.

The information in this book is 1-2 decades out of sync with reality. All of the information about film stocks and analog editing is unnecessary, for example.

If you know absolutely NOTHING about the film making process, and get it used for next to nothing, there may be some beneficial stuff in there. I'd say that if someone didn't know anything about film making, just the int
David
Aug 24, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a wealth of information. You won't could come away from it feeling completely proficient in any one of its many topics, but you'll certainly know a little bit about all of them.

I learned the most in the topics I'd not previously researched: processing and editing actual film stock. The subject of optical soundtracks was particularly interesting to me.

I highly recommend this book to anyone with an interest in the subject. The text is all highly relevant and current.
Laura Ann Tull
Not finished. I acquired this book for a film making class. I'm driven to do. the book is best for reference due to its length. I am finding also that the instructors at SMC are using different books now. I want to direct, edit, and not shoot per se. I think simplification for me is best. so I place this book unread completely on my read shelf where it stands as reference.
CD
A lot of information in one volume. Couldn't find an earlier copy I had, and glad I bought the latest version.

Lots of new data about HDTV, and updates of older still very important reference information.

You can also read my comments from Barnes and Noble at:

Filmmaker's Handbook
Jack
May 13, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: film
Something to return to as a reference not to read straight through. Some good information, although as with many film books, everyone has their own way of doing things. Take note some information may be out of date, as with any reference book.
Justin Hall
May 10, 2009 rated it really liked it
Very great supplement to an education. Thorough and easy to follow. Covers everything generally.
Jacob
Mar 10, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's a text book for me and it's freaking awesome!
Justin
Nov 17, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
If I wanted to read an instruction manual... I'd read this.
LMS
Oct 29, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: writing-books
Not quite as up-to-date as I would have liked (the edition I had was the 2004) but quite an interesting reference book. The section on Marketing was both fascinating and applicable.
Amberly
Nov 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Easily the best book a filmmaker can read. There's a reason why it's called the filmmakers bible!
Silvano
Aug 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very informative!
Rachel
"the 'bible' of film and video production"... great stuff. I didn't read the book cover to cover, but it is a great reference and overview of video production from start to finish.
Lesley
Sep 27, 2014 added it
Finally sinking my teeth in with the 2013 edition. Self-teaching, for the win.
Nolan Croce
Sep 10, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't get to read it all but it was helpful and informative.
Belal Khan
Jul 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
A must have resource for anyone interested in film. Outlines all necessary technical information from equipment of jargon.
Kiran
Feb 26, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: film-making
It will be useful to improve the knowledge in film making.
Arijit Saha
Sep 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is an Institution by itself, Every filmmaker should read it.
Robert Ogden Buford
May 31, 2014
Chrisyphus
Jan 10, 2008
Andrew
May 12, 2013
Rohit
rated it did not like it
May 20, 2018
  • Cinematic Storytelling
  • Directing: Film Techniques and Aesthetics
  • On Film Editing
  • Cinematography: Theory and Practice: Image Making for Cinematographers, Directors, and Videographers
  • A Short History of the Movies
  • Film Directing Shot by Shot: Visualizing from Concept to Screen
  • The Five C's of Cinematography: Motion Picture Filming Techniques
  • The Tools of Screenwriting: A Writer's Guide to the Craft and Elements of a Screenplay
  • What They Don't Teach You at Film School: 161 Strategies For Making Your Own Movies No Matter What
  • Master Shots Vol 1, 1st edition: 100 Advanced Camera Techniques to Get an Expensive Look on Your Low-Budget Movie
  • In the Blink of an Eye
  • Directing Actors
  • Making a Good Script Great
  • The Screenwriter's Bible: A Complete Guide to Writing, Formatting, and Selling Your Script
  • The Bare Bones Camera Course for Film and Video
  • Selling Your Story in 60 Seconds: The Guaranteed Way to Get Your Screenplay or Novel Read
  • Psychology for Screenwriters
  • From Reel to Deal: Everything You Need to Create a Successful Independent Film