Start by marking “Death at the Seaside” as Want to Read:
Death at the Seaside

Death at the Seaside

(Ghostly Shadows #1)

Nothing was going to ruin Castle’s holiday.

Except for the mocking laughter of the dead.

Castle was anticipating a lovely break at the seaside. His glamorous film star mistress was even joining him.

However, an unexpected encounter leaves Castle reeling. There’s a chance that someone knows his darkest secret and no matter what, he’s going to have to deal with it.

All his life,
Published January 25th 2018

To ask other readers questions about Death at the Seaside, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Death at the Seaside

Start your review of Death at the Seaside
Peter
Aug 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Turbulent
Death at the Seaside is a sinister story of the shocking consequences when a man’s destructive past and tormented mind, finally shatter. The story and plot are interesting and well-structured, accepting it as a novella. It was also intriguing to find the main characters dislikeable, yet appealing, if only to see them get their comeuppance.

Larry Castle is a big man, an ex-soldier that at one time people would have described as handsome but is now podgy. His attitude and ego continue to
Bill Lynas
Feb 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Superb characterisation lies at the heart of F R Jameson's excellent novella, in which we find a very unpleasant Londoner & his mistress at a seaside holiday camp in the 1950s. It's rare to read a story where the two main characters are so vividly brought to life that, despite the fact that I dislike them both, they pull you right into the heart of the tale.
I've read some of the author's previous work before, but this story kept me thinking about the characters long after I finished reading it.
A
F.R.
Jan 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
My new novella, ‘Death at the Seaside’ is now out and is 99p/99c on KIndle, and on Kindle Unlimited. Just click here and you’ll be taken straight to it.

Here’s my introduction.

I first wrote ‘Death at the Seaside’ in 2002.

Back then I was watching a lot of ‘The Sopranos’, and quite clearly was inspired by an overweight man with criminal tendencies and an eye for the ladies. Although in my head the protagonist, Larry Castle looks a lot more like Ray Winstone than James Gandolfini.

Once finished thoug
Isaiah
Sep 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
To see more reviews check out MI Book Reviews.

I got an ARC of this book.

This book gives the perfect example of a main character that just deserves everything bad that could possibly happen to him. From the very first page, Castle was just this awful character. He was a cheat, slimy, misogynistic, and worse. There was just so much about him to hate. I LOVED HATING HIM. There were no mixed feelings, there were no redeeming qualities. There was just pure hatred and it felt so freeing.

The plot felt
Cheryl
Jan 26, 2021 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a 2.75 star read.
Jeannie Lawson
Apr 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received a free copy of "Death at the Seaside" through Voracious Readers Only. I was sucked in from the first page and could not put it down til the last page! The descriptive writing and glimpses into Castle's past kept me turning the pages. The ending did seem just a little forced, almost as if he ran out of paper. All in all, I enjoyed this book very much! ...more
Jen
Nov 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Holidays are meant to be a relaxing affair, but when an unexpected phrase is uttered by someone who shouldn't know it the holiday becomes anything but restful in F.R. Jameson's Death at the Seaside.

To read this, and other book reviews, visit my website: http://makinggoodstories.wordpress.com/.

Larry Castle was planning to thoroughly enjoy his holiday at the seaside, passing the time with drinking, eating, and spending time flirting and cavorting with lovely ladies while waiting for his film star
Gwen Schwartz
Aug 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Intriguing

I really liked the authors writing style. The characters came to life through the thoughtful writing. Twists and turns that kept me interested and fully engaged in the story. You now have a new fan F.R. Jameson. Thank you so much for offering this great book for free.
SA Krishnan
Mar 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
An interesting and short mystery. The characterization and the detailed picturesque of the world is perfect as the story unfolds. Enjoyed it!
Ronald Keeler
Sep 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Death at the Seaside by F. R. Jameson is a short, stand-alone story of ghostly revenge. The character description of the once extremely handsome Larry Castle given in Chapter One will pull a reader into the story. The imagery is detailed, appealing to read in itself, and is essential in setting the mood of the rest of the story.

The novel uses very British English, so some terms may not be familiar to readers. There are also cultural references which may confuse younger readers. During an evening
Todd Simpson
May 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great Story, I loved it. There are some characters that I enjoy, and Larry Castle is definitely one of them. I like that he’s unpredictable and a little bit delusional. F.R. Jameson has done a brilliant job with this unique and clever plot. I certainly didn’t predict some of the things that happened, and I also like the Authors easy and fluid writing style.
The world was truly Larry Castles oyster, and he was certainly prepared to take his share and then some. To say that Larry was confident in
Robin Bell
Feb 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
A bit short but an interesting read - will look for other books by the same author....
Kathy
Nov 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Larry Castle is no longer the man he was as a soldier. He is a big, bulking man, not the fit, well-toned soldier he once was. In addition, Larry carries a dark secret that almost is destroying him. He has gone to the seaside, hoping to spend a few nice days with his mistress, a young starlet, who is hoping to forge a famous career and who is currently married to a stable, well-to-do man whom she despises. While waiting for his mistress Betty to arrive, Larry meets up with Mr. and Mrs. Montgomery ...more
Lora Shouse
Nov 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
This one’s kind of creepy. It was advertised as horror/suspense, and it certainly qualifies as a psychological thriller that might play well in a venue similar to The Twilight Zone. There’s the suggestion of some sort of paranormal/supernatural influence at work. But what happens might just as well be attributed entirely to the workings of a guilty conscience.

The main character, Larry Castle, is a man who appears to have no redeeming qualities whatsoever. He is rich, but we are not surprised to
the-librarian
Oct 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Death at the Seaside is a great story about a man named Larry Castle with a checkered past trying to make a life for himself shortly after WWII. He is dating a married actress and taking a vacation from his life as a shady businessman.
He meets up with the actress at their vacation spot and things begin to fall apart from there. His past quickly catches up with him as he serendipitously eats dinner with a family with a son that seems to know more about Mr. Castle’s past than is good for his healt
Billie
Jun 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Nothing was going to ruin Castle’s holiday, except the mocking laughter of the dead…
Larry Castle was anticipating a lovely few days at the seaside. Basking in the sunshine, canoodling with his mistress and playing the big man visiting town. However, a chance encounter leaves his confidence reeling.
There’s a possibility that someone knows his darkest secret. The thing that made him, but which could equally break him. No matter what, Castle is going to have to deal with this problem. Otherwise it
Shaari Oolong
Dec 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I can't put my finger on exactly why, but this book very much reminded me of Albert Camus' The Stranger. It has something to do with the starkness of the narrative and the way the main character is withdrawn from true emotion until nearly the very end of the story. Although he's not in presented as being even close to likeable, I still felt drawn to follow his tale to the end: And the ending somehow brought up this same sense of neutrality to the consequences of the main character's actions. I d ...more
Tammy
Sep 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I liked the book. I thought it was well written. The character or characters were likable or not so likable. I thought the story had a nice pace to keep the book going. The book kept my interest till the end. I can't wait to read the next book.
I got book for an honest review.
Thank you for sharing your book with me
A.C. Whitt
This is one of those slow burns. You get a good bit of this and that before the big bang at the end. Which the big bang sort of confused me and left me scratching my head. It's kind of a transparent book as well. Most of the way through anyway. ...more
Bonnye Reed
Jun 16, 2019 marked it as to-read
TheFussyLibrarian
Vicky Coughlan
When you’re evil and greedy the ghosts from the past join the ghosts from the present and your future ends up at their mercy. Good spin on this tale. I enjoyed reading this novella.
Jay Williams
Aug 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a good story with a very unlikeable main character. Happily, he gets his just desserts with a little help from the paranormal.
Jeannette
Jul 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Justice

This was a very suspenseful novel. I disliked the main character from the beginning and he seemed to be without redeeming qualities.
Cynthia
Compact and concise short story, moved quickly through the action. Perhaps a bit simple, but for a short story, that is not a negative. Nice intro to Mr. Jameson's writing style. ...more
Stephen Daly
Dec 29, 2020
Linda L Foster
rated it it was ok
Jul 14, 2018
Kevin Veness
rated it did not like it
May 12, 2018

• The Haunting of Elleric Lodge
  • The Worm and His Kings
  • The Sister-in-Law
  • What Rose Forgot
  • Congo Unravelled: Military Operations from Independence to the Mercenary Revolt 1960-68
  • Voices in the Snow (Black Winter, #1)
  • The Haunting of Nelson Street (The Ghosts of Crowford Book 1)
  • His Wife's Sister
  • truecrime
  • Johnny Come Home
  • He Kills Coppers
  • The Long Firm (The Long Firm Trilogy #1)
  • The House of Rumour
  • Gabriela, clavo y canela
  • Tent of Miracles
  • The House Guest
  • Close Up: An Actor Telling Tales
F.R. Jameson was born in Wales, but now lives in London with his wife and young daughter. He writes both historical thrillers and supernatural thrillers.

His books are, at the moment, mostly sorted into two different – but complimentary – series. The first, ‘Screen Siren Noir’, currently comprises of three novels: ‘Diana Christmas’, ‘Eden St. Michel’ and ‘Alice Rackham’. All of which tell the stori

Ghostly Shadows (6 books)
  • Certain Danger