Start by marking “The Cold Light of Dawn” as Want to Read:
The Cold Light of Dawn

The Cold Light of Dawn

(The King's Greatest Enemy #4)

After Henry of Lancaster’s rebellion has been crushed early in 1329, a restless peace settles over England. However, the young Edward III is no longer content with being his regents’ puppet, no matter that neither Queen Isabella nor Roger Mortimer show any inclination to give up their power. Caught in between is Adam de Guirande, torn between his loyalty to the young king ...more
Published February 16th 2018 by Timelight Press

To ask other readers questions about The Cold Light of Dawn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Cold Light of Dawn

Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
Mar 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2018
First, I want to say that I have read all books in this series, expect the first book. However, I'm going to rectify that. I have wanted to read In the Shadow of the Storm since I read book two, Days of Sun and Glory, and now after finishing The Cold Light of Dawn do I seriously need to go back to the beginning, to read about a happier-ish time. Honestly, The Cold Light of Dawn is a fabulous book, so good, but it's also a devastating tragic book and now has it gone two days since I finished the ...more
Nicky Moxey
Jun 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Beautifully done

One of my touchstones for excellent historical fiction is whether you hope against hope that this time it didn't happen as the text books say. Anna Belfrage has the knack of wrapping the story round you and forcing you to get inside the head of her characters. It was a treat to make Kit and Adam's acquaintance again; but I cried when Roger Mortimer died.
DeniseF
Mar 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
I'm going to try to not gush because I know that I always get a little over the top when I review an Anna Belfrage book. That being said, The Cold Light of Dawn is probably my favorite installment in the series. Kit and, especially Adam, faced some some pretty serious life-changing situations in this book and watching them navigate these situations was both beautiful and heart-breaking.

Adam was really the shining star of this book. He really had to figure out who he was and what was most import
Paula Lofting
Feb 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is the 4th installment of this series, and I cannot say, that having read the previous books, I am not disappointed. The author is so skilled at writing, that I have been immersed in Kit and Adam's story since day one. The manner in which their story unfolds within the bigger tale of Edward II,his son the younger Edward, Queen Isabella's betrayal of him with Lord Mortimer,is an ingenious device which the author cleverly uses to entrance the reader. Kit and Adam's perspective on the world th ...more
Erin Al-Mehairi
Mar 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I’ve really had a wonderful time reading this series, which was at first supposed to be a set of four. You can find my reviews of In the Shadows of the Storm (#1), Days of Sun and Glory (#2), Under the Approaching Dark (#3), and now I’ll be discussing The Cold Light of Dawn (#4). I have a particular fondness for medieval historical fiction and things and so I was thrilled to read this series, with book four culminating into all the drama, intrigue, action, and peril one might imagine from the pa ...more
Elizabeth St.John
Feb 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The fourth eagerly awaited novel in “The King’s Greatest Enemy” series, The Cold Light of Dawn has been billed as the final book in Ms Belfrage’s award-winning medieval historical fiction saga. Let me put it on record. Nope. No. Never. Don’t believe it. This series is too good, too addictive, too compelling not to continue. We’re just getting warmed up! And, Ms Belfrage herself has left a tantalizing epilogue where she hints she may return. All I have to say is, when?

Here’s the joy of reading th
Patty
Mar 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is touted as the last in this series although Ms. Belfrage does tease at the end at the possibility of more books featuring her fictional hero, Adam de Guirande and his feisty wife Kit. I’m sure, given Edward III’s long reign and temperamental manner there is surely much to mine in the historical record.

This book is much about loyalty and relationships and well, how the rich are different.

Edward III is still too young to rule but he is starting to champ at the bit. Queen Isabella and Roger
Kim Barton
Apr 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
I loved this book. In fact, it was my favorite of the series. Anna Belfrage has quickly become one of my favorite historical fiction writers, right up there with Elizabeth Chadwick. She brings the time period to blazing life. I couldn't put this book down! The continuing relationship between Adam and Kit was well done as usual, but what really had me turning pages was Adam's divided loyalties.The author handled it with such depth and sensitivity that I really felt for Adam, especially at the end ...more
Viviane Crystal
Feb 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
“Caught in the middle” is the perfect way to describe Adam de Guirande’s place in the Court of the young King Edward III, too young to rule but old enough to resent the behavior of the regent rulers, Queen Isabella and Roger Mortimer. Adam initially serves Edward in whatever way asked and ultimately will become the King’s Guard, in charge of all soldiers who protect the King at all times. Edward has not reached his majority to rule but is showing signs he is more than able to do so. Isabella and ...more
Helen Hollick
Feb 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book has received a Discovering Diamonds Review:
Helen Hollick
founder #DDRevs

"Here’s the joy of reading this series: the research and detail is impeccable. It’s deep, comprehensive, and completely reliable. Which means as a reader, one can relax and enjoy the outstanding narrative, knowing that the author has done her homework and built her historical fiction on a solid foundation of fact and truth. Fascinating Research Powering a Glorious Love Story"
Paul Bennett
Feb 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It is with great pleasure that I begin this HFVBT of the latest from Anna Belfrage's series, The King's Greatest Enemy.

First, a brief summary:

Jo Barton
Apr 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Cold Light of Dawn is now the fourth book in this epic historical saga which brings the medieval world of Edward III so vividly to life.

In this latest adventure we meet up again with Adam and Kit de Guirande as they flit between their countryside manor house, at Tresaints, and the Royal court. As in previous novels, their life is just as eventful and, as they immerse themselves in the scheming and political manoeuvrings of the Edwardian court, so they find that, as always, danger is never v
Mary Yarde
Dec 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“My, my, how high the gutter-rat has clambered. You owe everything you are to me de Guirande. Best not forget it…”

Adam does not need any reminders of how much the Earl Of March has done for him. Mortimer saved Adam from an abusive father and gave him not only a purpose but a life beyond his wildest of dreams. However, Adam’s loyalties are no longer with his liege lord but with the young King Edward. Why is that so difficult for Mortimer to understand? Adam cannot serve two masters.

As Regent, the
Clemens Schoonderwoert
Apr 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This truly exciting book is the 4th and final volume of "The King's Greatest Enemy" series by the wonderful author Anna Belfrage.
The historical details concerning this book, which you can find at the beginning as well as at the end of the book, have been very well researched and explained by the author, and they are greatly implemented to make this book such a delightful historical read.
Story-telling is once more of an absolute superb quality, the storyline is great and full with action, while a
David Baird
Jul 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I had high hopes for book 4 of this series. I’m invested in Kit and Adam's future and I just hope one day they get the peace they deserve..will they get this in book 4??? Not bloody likely ha.

King Edward is growing up fast and he’s starting to resent his mother’s control and Lord Rogers more so. Lord Roger may have become regent with the best of intentions but power has a way of changing a person and Lord Roger is no exception.

The this tale Adam is torn even more in two and both the King and Lor
Margaret
Anna Belfrage is a very talented author, she is one of my favorites for so many reasons, I wish more people knew about her and her two wonderful series, The King's Greatest Enemy and The Graham Saga. She can draw a reader right in and not let go until the final pages, even the Author's Note hold my attention.

The Cold Light of Dawn is the fourth book in the King's Greatest Enemy Series, my understanding was that this would be the final one, but while it concluded nicely this reader would like th
Cindy Woods
Mar 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Rich and tragic

This fourth book of the series is filled with much of the historical events of the early years of King Edward III in England. The creative writing by Belfrage makes for an exciting plot with nonstop action as Adam, the king's captain of the royal guard, is forced to serve at court under the stressful atmosphere of his previous master Mortimer, acting as regent along with the dowager Queen Isabella, and the young king.
The court is rife with secrets and spying as political tension r
Annette
Mar 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this story! I became immersed in it from the first page!
I’ve not read the previous three books in this series, but didn’t have a problem keeping up with the story.
The main characters are Adam and Kit. They are a married couple with several children. He is a minor knight. He is a person who is strong in body and mind. He is a man who loves and adores his wife. I’m happy to read a story where the married couple always place the other first. Even though Adam has duties and allegiance to Edwa
ChillwithabookAWARD With
Dec 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Cold Light of Dawn by Anna Belfrage has received a Chill with a Book Readers' Award.
www.chillwithabook.com

"This is an excellent series. Ms.Belfrage has a very engaging style, and it sweeps you back in time; the flow and pace are constant."

Pauline Barclay - Founder of Chill with a Book Awards
Karen
Jun 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Omg!! This book was so so good !!!

I don’t know even where to begin .. This series was great. I’ve never read a series in a row like I have this one. I cried at the end. I can’t believe it. I really hope the author writes more on the lives of Kit & Adam.
I can’t tell everyone to read it but I can tell every adult to read the series.

-K- W.
Dania Beach , Florida
Melanie Kaake
Nov 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent!

The best history/fictional interpretation of those years. Melding truth and and fiction in a manner of storytelling that keeps you deep into that period of time so fraught with love and hate, violence and dishonesty.
I am so hoping this saga will continue with a continuation of these people and their future.
LISA M. BAKER
Mar 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Anna never disappoints!

If Anna Belfrage writes it I read it. She quickly became one of my favorite authors. This book was wonderful. I really hope that Adam and Kit have more to their story.
Lori Greenlee
May 18, 2018 rated it liked it
A good series

The story continues regarding Kit and Adam under the service of the king. Adam seems to have to make decisions of his loyalties to his former master Mortimer and King Edward. Looking forward to the next in the series.
Terry
Apr 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
What an amazing storyteller Anna Belfrage is. I highly recommend any of her books but you should definitely read her sagas in order. Anna, I want more about Adam and Kit, so please don't abandon them!
Carol
Aug 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good third book

As always the world of court is full of plots and excitement. Adam, Kit, Mortimer, Queen Isabelle, King Edward and Queen Philippa again are involved and interesting and I can't wait to find out what's next.
Dangermousie
I cried. I literally cried.

But this is so good and moving and just - I really hope it's the last book in the series since I do not see how we can go on from here.
Ackerline P
Apr 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Captivating

As always, Anna's books are well written, and hard to put down. This one is no exception. A must read.
Susanne Berger
Jan 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excellent

Another great historical story. Adam and Kit are characters so lovable, they are the heros. I hope Anna continues their story.
gj indieBRAG
Aug 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
We are proud to announce that THE COLD LIGHT OF DAWN by Anna Belfrage is a B.R.A.G.Medallion Honoree. This tells readers that this book is well worth their time and money!
Anna was raised abroad, on a pungent mix of Latin American culture, English history and Swedish traditions. As a result she's multilingual and most of her reading is historical- both non-fiction and fiction. Possessed of a lively imagination, she has drawers full of potential stories, all of them set in the past. She was always going to be a writer - or a historian, preferably both. Ideally, Anna ...more

The King's Greatest Enemy (4 books)
  • In the Shadow of the Storm (The King's Greatest Enemy #1)
  • Days of Sun and Glory (The King's Greatest Enemy #2)
  • Under the Approaching Dark (The King's Greatest Enemy #3)