Start by marking “Your Future Self Will Thank You: Secrets to Self-Control from the Bible and Brain Science (A Guide for Sinners, Quitters, and Procrastinators)” as Want to Read:
Your Future Self Will Thank You: Secrets to Self-Control from the Bible and Brain Science (A Guide for Sinners,  Quitters, and Procrastinators)

Why can’t I control my anger? Or stop overeating? Or wasting time online?

Why can't I seem to finish my projects? Or make progress in my spiritual life?

Why do I fall for the same stupid temptations over and over again?

When we fail, its easy to make excuses or blame our circumstances. But let’s face it: the biggest enemy is usually the one staring back at us from the mirror
Published January 1st 2019 by Moody Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Your Future Self Will Thank You, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Your Future Self Will Thank You

Katie
Jan 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Have you read Charles Duhigg on habits, but wondered about how the research on habits works with what the Bible teaches about sanctification? Have you read James K. A. Smith on habits, but wondered how his link of your loves to your habits will really work in the nitty-gritty of life? Or have you read one of the many willpower books out recently, but again tried to square that research with Scripture? Drew Dyck's Your Future Self Will Thank You is the book that perfectly wraps up a theology of s ...more
Andy Zach
Mar 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: christian, nonfiction
Drew Dyck gives the reader an accessible, easy-to-read presentation of the science and the Christian teaching behind self-control. He reviews the latest cognitive research as well as Biblical teachings about self-control.

Mr. Dyck seasons his book with humorous anecdotes about his attempts at self-control. He stated he wrote the book for himself because he was so bad at self-control.

I recommend this book for anyone who wishes to build good new habits and replace old bad habits.
Lori
Jan 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars on Audible. I enjoyed the book more than I thought I would and more so the latter half.
An important take away for me and will share with my family:
“Satan always gives you his best up front and makes you pay down the road where as Jesus is more concerned about you than your current level of comfort and
God always saves the best for last.”
Joan
Dec 26, 2018 rated it liked it
I knew self-control was important. I knew I needed more of it. Reading this book helped me understand why it is so important and also gave me the information I needed to strengthen that discipline in my own life.

I also knew self-control was one of the fruit of the Spirit. Here I found out Thomas Aquinas identified it as the foundational virtue. None of the other virtues could be developed without it. (Loc. 95/2515) I realized self-control is more important that I ever thought.

Dyck helped me unde
Samuel James
Feb 21, 2019 rated it liked it
This book was, ironically, an impulse buy. Self-control is something I need a lot more of, and I absolutely love that Drew Dyck sat down to write a book on self control from a biblical and practical perspective. There are some helpful insights throughout, especially on the finite character of self-control and how it must be practiced in order to be gained. I thought the first half of the book was considerably stronger than the second half, which (for me) devolved a little too much into block quo ...more
Greg Bradley
Feb 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Your brain is a powerful tool, but it can be manipulated. Our world has a heavy investment in doing so. Your smartphone was not improved so that you could communicate easier, but so that you could buy entertainment. Unfortunately, for most of us we have exchanged the discipline of scripture reading and meditation for the dopamine hit of social media. The author makes this plain. I highly recommend this book along with 12 Ways Your Phone is Changing You by Tony Reinke.
Mike Weston
Jan 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Loved this work by Dyck. He took the best insights from Smith and Duhigg’s work and provided relevant Scripture in order to produced a book to encourage readers to endure the difficulty necessary to establish habits of self-control.
Robert Sutherland
Mar 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
When "The Power of Habit" meets Sunday School, you have Drew Dyck's Your Future Self Will Thank You. This is really a summary of habit literature, not anything ground breaking. But it is good and actionable. If you are looking for a Biblical twist to the habit books, this is for you.
Josh
Mar 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Lots here that you’ve probably heard, but there are some spiritual and practical gems, some simple truths that could go a long way in encouraging the hard work of long term, sustainable change. Highly recommend!
Barb
Jan 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I am familiar with Drew Dyck from his contributions to the The Holy Post podcast (formerly The Phil Vischer podcast). He is a normal human being just like the rest of us and struggles with habits and distractions just like the rest of us. This is an excellent book that not only provides excellent information, but practical ways to put use that information. I highly recommend!
Michelle
Mar 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was excellent. Drew approaches the topic of self control in a relatable and often hilarious way. It provides key information about will power, habbits, and the best way to change our own behaviors. All of which he does through a Christ centered lens. It's an enjoyable and honest look at the often ignored virtue that I highly recommend.
Jack WIlkie
Mar 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Really useful read. The blend of personal experience, scientific research, and biblical truth made it engaging and enlightening.
Stephanie Baldree
Feb 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Love love love this book!! Biblical, informative, scientific, practical, humorous and real.
nate
Jan 19, 2019 added it
Shelves: 2019
An enjoyable and helpful primer on how to create good grace-fueled habits. Dyck is a good writer, blending personal stories, theology, spiritual formation, and research from a wide variety of sources. I also appreciated that he worked hard to include concrete, measurable, quantifiable examples of how you could put into practice the things he is talking about. I've already recommended this to many people.
Todd McGlinchey
Jan 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is very easy to read on a tough subject of self control and habits. There was a lot of great stories and great ideas to implement better habits and disciplines. The 8th chapter on the strategies for self control in the digital era was VERY eye opening and worth getting the book. I highly recommend this book. For me it was the perfect companion and next step from my reading of Atomic Habits. A great way to start the new year by reading two great books.
Tom Burkholder
Jan 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
In the book Your Future Self Will Thank You, author Drew Dyck gives us a honest and humors guide to tackling self-control from a Biblical perspective. Dyck writes: “Biblical self-control is about keeping our loves in the right order. In a sense, we can only do what we love. When we succumb to sin, it’s because in that moment, we loved something else—pleasure, pride, comfort—more than God. We will always operate out of our loves. That means we must rightly order our hearts, taking special care to ...more
Tracie Collier
Jan 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! I’m glad it was my first read of 2019.
As someone who struggles with procrastination, I found lots of insight in Drew Dyck’s writing. I was hit especially hard by his chapter on social media/internet addiction! Whew...so convicting, but so full of truth.
I highly recommend this book to anyone who struggles with self control and is ready to do something about it!
Julianne Bailey
Dec 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I feel like I read this book at the perfect time in my life. I recently struggled to find the discipline and self control to overhaul my eating and exercise habits and lose 35 pounds. This book was eye opening about WHY we struggle with discipline and self-control and what the Bible says about it. The author does a fantastic job of educating readers about the biblical teachings and perspective of discipline and self control without shaming or making the reader feel guilty. An excellent, thoughtf ...more
Ginger Hudock
Oct 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book explains the virtue of self-control and how to strengthen it from both Biblical and psychological perspectives. There is a good explanation and history of thoughts about self-control. There are numerous Biblical references as well as quotes from historical and literary persons. The book is well-researched.
Dyck teaches about keystone habits which are the basic habits that make other healthy habits more likely.
I agree with Dyck's conclusion that "Self control is foundation. It leads to
Anne
Nov 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I have been reading the book, Your Future Self Will Thank You, by Drew Dyck. I cannot tell you how fabulous of a read it is. I believe that God has provided us with so many resources but I don’t know that we always use them. This book is a resource to put perspective on how God can change the way you think, live, and do life. If you are looking to make positive, Christ-like change in your life I strongly suggest you take a look at this book.
Dyck leads you through Gods commands, his personal jou
Nicole
Dec 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I am not one who is into reading a ton of self help books, but I came across this title on Netgalley and wanted to try a book that deals with self control from the Biblical perspective. I couldn't be happier with it!
It was relatively short and not long winded or too wordy(which I prefer in a non-fiction), right to the point. I thought the points the author addresses were valid and soundly answered. I am encouraged and invigorated by what I have learned,and I am putting into practice some of thes
Stephanie
Nov 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Thanks to Netgalley and the publishers for a free, digital, ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.

This is not a book for the faint of heart. The author tells it like it is from the Bible and from scientific studies. The premise of the book is that those who have self-control are much more successful in life in general. Learning how to be self-controlled is a must. Self-control isn't just going to happen. There are ways to improve self-control, and the author gives some good advice in
Diane Estrella
Apr 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I'm not sure if my excitement for this book stems from it being the right book at the right time, or finally getting the answers I had been unknowingly longing for, for so long!

The author did an amazing job of breaking this book down into easily manageable chunks of information that was both easy to understand and with repeated "light-bulb moments" for me. I had so many frustrations with myself, that I didn't even realize were legitimate questions with a science-y answer behind them. I just thou
Joseph McBee
Apr 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is the kind of personal development book I get on board with. I loved the weaving together of Scripture and Science. It shows that all truth is God's truth wherever you may find it.

There is not a lot that is "new" here. It's well researched and the writing is conversational and enjoyable, but the concepts are not bleeding edge. However, it is the way the author shows that the science bears out the Biblical witness that makes it refreshing and compelling.

I also appreciated the author's hones
Evelyn  Fonseca
Mar 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a great book on habits and self-control. Dyck has done a great job in discussing from a Biblical standpoint, self-control, and habit-making. He doesn't just bust the Bible on the subject but also quotes science research to back up the importance of self-control and how it affects our lives. I found the information presented very interesting. I guess I had never linked self-control with my faith but Dyck has given me quite a bit to chew on. I struggle with procrastination and several othe ...more
Adrian K. L. Ang
Excellence!

Balance research, back by scientific studies. Read in 3 days. I like the practical tips in prayer, habit method (cue, routine, reward), building willpower muscle. Great insights on: cheap grace is an excuse for sin, system-control & self-control, influence can increase/decrease willpower.
I wish a follow-up book on the next phase, from self-control to ministry character (forming and leading the team temperance).
Chrys Jones
Apr 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Excellent little book on the importance of developing self-control to help us in our pursuit of godliness. It is gospel-driven, well-researched (and not overly reliant on psychological jargon), authentic, and practical. It's a very enjoyable read for Christians looking to learn the science behind the self-control we often struggle with.
Bruce
Mar 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a great book. The best part is that it isn’t a self-help book. Instead, it’s packed with really smart stuff that collected from Drew’s real struggle and desire to be better. And, it’s all really practical. I listened to the audiobook, but it’s good enough that I’m going to buy the hard copy.
Tyler Hurst
Apr 09, 2019 rated it liked it
Very practical. I would think of this as a sort of theology and social science digest, which is fine, but runs the risk of over simplifying both. Dyck doesn't do that, but he also doesn't convey the message in a manner that is particularly more compelling than Charles Duhigg or James K. A. Smith.
Tyson Bohlinger
Feb 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. I’m someone that would prefer in the long-run to live the more satisfying way and not continue to struggle with self-control and discipline, and this book is an excellent treatment of the subject matter.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »