Start by marking “Superb Vol. 1: Life After the Fallout” as Want to Read:

Superb Vol. 1: Life After the Fallout

(Catalyst Prime universe)

Unknown Binding, 152 pages
Published January 2nd 2018 by Lion Forge

To ask other readers questions about Superb Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Superb Vol. 1

Start your review of Superb Vol. 1: Life After the Fallout
[Shai] Bibliophage
Superb Volume 1 is a tie up to the Noble Vol. 1 comic series by Brandon Thomas. The story of this graphic novel tells us about how the Foresight Corporation tries to find those who possessed extraordinary powers among the teenager residents of Youngstown, Ohio.
Superb Vol.1
If you enjoy reading superhero stories, you may find this just like every comic series you've read in the past. Why I gave this a 4-star rating is because I like how the authors made a teenager with down-syndrome a superhero and the
Chad
Mar 17, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley-2018, 2018
This book is kind of a mess. One of the main characters is supposed to have down syndrome, which actually sounds pretty groundbreaking. However, the art and storytelling were so poor, I had no idea until halfway through the book when his dad tells the police he has down syndrome. I was totally floored. I even flipped back and looked at the art and storytelling again. Nope, no other indication until I got to the end of the book and saw some concept art.

There is an attempt at world building, but
Kristin
Jan 26, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
What a freaking disappointment.

I love David F. Walker's writing on Power Man and Iron Fist *so much*, but this is boring and sloppy. The dialogue is wooden and chock full of exposition. None of the characters act like actual people. The closest this comes to witty banter is an extended argument about whether or not one character is a party pooper.

One of the selling points of this book is it features a superhero with Down syndrome, but if you weren't told, you'd have no idea, which completely
Manon the Malicious
Dec 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley, fantasy
*4.25 Stars*

I was provided an ARC via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Superb told the story of superheroes, in a dystopian society.

I don’t wanna say too much about this because I really enjoyed throwing myself into this book before knowing anything about it.

I really loved the characters, they were complex and captivating.
The intrigue was all kind of great too, it kept me on my toes the entire time, I didn’t see anything coming...
Once I started this, I could not put it down. It was so
Lilyn G. | Sci-Fi & Scary | "Empathy" - Look it up.
I really wanted to like Superb: Life After The Fallout, but unfortunately it just never clicked with me. The majority of this can be put down to the fact that when it comes to these types of stories, it’s very hit or miss with me. I really loved the graphic novel I read previous to this – Generation Gone – so I was hopeful, but ultimately disappointed.

I liked the diversity represented in Superb: Life After The Fallout. The Down Syndrome representation is, to my knowledge, ground-breaking in
Theediscerning
And... this is the first stumble in the Catalyst Prime series. We're going to get several books in this comics universe, all regarding the superpowers of humans after a meteor strike on Earth was diverted, but only partially. This one is definitely a poorer cousin of the others I've sampled - the baddy is right out of the Basil Exposition school, and there are whole pages of him and the teenagers that just don't sound anything like regular human speech. We're told things over and over again in ...more
Deviki
Before I begin, I would like to stress that I'm not sure if this comic is an alternative continuation of another comic series, I strongly think it is though but my review is based on my reading for this comic only.

I've read Issue 1 - 16 (so far)

So apparently, there is a comic superhero wannabe, Cosmosis going around saving people. The thing is usually when a superhero takes a disguise I don't think they usually take from an existing comic book hero :) Anyway the problem with this superhero is
Aaron
SUPERB contains the mixed-and-matched ambitions of a new-hero story that doesn't hesitate to let its readers know, on every single page, yes, this is a new-hero story. The result is one-part overwhelm and one-part genuine acknowledgment that this could be something really cool. There are a few knickknacks along the way that make this book worth one's curiosity, but SUPERB is worth a shot if only to take a look at what all is possible in the world of cape comics.

If one is tired of superheroes
-RadioactiveBookworm-
Goodreads Synopsis:
After the Earth survived annihilation from an asteroid which was destroyed by a group of heroic astronauts, the resultant meteor shower turned Youngstown, Ohio, into a Level 5 impact zone. After a Columbine-like incident in which a superpowered teenager exploded and killed other youngsters, the Foresight Corporation took over Youngstown to find and regulate any other teenagers with emerging powers.

Kayla Tate has returned to Youngstown because her parents are scientists for
Lovey Dovey Books
Feb 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Published on Lovey Dovey Books

Superheroes come in all shapes in sizes and from any background. In Superb Volume 1: Life After the Fallout, David F. Walker and Sheena C. Howard explore the rise of enhanced teens after an event causes a meteor shower to devastate Earth.

Youngstown, Ohio is now a Level 5 impact zone. After a teen goes berserk, losing control of his powers, Gomez at Foresight starts an intense search for others. It's his goal to find teens with superhuman powers before they lose
Dawn
In Superb, kids and teens begin to exhibit powers after an asteroid crashes near Youngstown, Ohio. Following an “incident” that resulted in fatalities, detectors are installed at schools to discover “enhanced” kids, who are taken away to a research facility.

Kayla is a seemingly typical teen whose parents work at the facility and her friend Jonah is a stereotypical nerd who happens to have Down syndrome. It turns out they’re both hiding things from each other and everyone else – Kayla is super
Wayne McCoy
'Superb Vol. 1' from Lion Forge Comics is a collection of two complete stories: one from the present, and one that goes back to the event which created the costumed folks in the first story.

The events in the second story tell of an asteroid that is going to hit the Earth and the astronauts who break it up. The problem is that these fragments do hit the planet and cause things to happen to people. One of those people is Jonah Watkins, who finds himself with strange powers. He likes to dress up as
Veronica
ARC via Netgalley. I have mixed feelings about this comic. The art is not great, which is a statement I feel like I should qualify by adding that in comparison to your average Bronze Age comic, it's pretty par for the course; it's just that we have so many more options nowadays with cleaner lines, bolder colors, and overall a more attractive style. (As a side note: one particular failing of the art is its inconsistency in depicting the face of the protagonist, a young man with Down syndrome.) ...more
Erin
Feb 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
Superb grabbed my attention quickly. Superpowers are fascinating to me, so I was excited to read another comic with that involved and this one didn't disappoint.

Jonah is a teenager with a big heart and it shows throughout everything he does. He is determined to get to the bottom of what is going on. Not to mention, he has Downs Syndrome. Jonah is out here doing amazing things and I think that is wonderful representation for those who do have Downs Syndrome.

Kayla is also a good friend and
Miss Susan
Jun 23, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poc-author
mmm mixed feelings. the basic set up is pretty solid -- not exactly original but that's not uncommon with superhero comics and i think it establishes its characters and premise well enough to support further fleshing out. props for the rep, this is the first time i've seen a superhero lead with down syndrome and it sounds like the writer put in his homework. also appreciate not being subjected to the whitelandia fantasy that some superhero comics enjoy pushing

gotta be honest tho, i'm not feeling
Christian Zamora-Dahmen
Last night I read the first volume of Superb. I was so delighted.
I was a bit on the fence about the main character having Down Syndrome, because I thought it would be all about his condition, and I was so gladly surprised to find out that it wasn't like that. Jonah's condition was mentioned on issue 2 and that was it. It was seen as it was: a condition, not everything that was to tell about him.
From that on, it had an interesting plot and a nice approach by the main characters.
Kayla is also
Abby Johnson
Fallout from a shattered meteor has hit the earth, causing some people in the town of Youngstown to develop super powers. The local lab is trying to identify all these people, most of them teens, and contain them "to help them learn to control their powers", but there are some who have slipped through the cracks. Starring a superhero with Down's Syndrome and a diverse cast of characters, this is a twisty turny superhero series that I can't stop reading.
Aftin Combs
I just can't get into this. Something about reading this makes it feel less like an enjoyable superhero romp and more like a chore. Everything was a little bland. I was really hoping the diversity and representation of downs syndrome would be enough to pull this along, but sadly because of the character design he didn't even stand out. Over all it wasn't terrible, but I have no interest in visiting these characters again in Vol. 2.
Ryan
This was a solid prologue to Lion Forge's new teenaged superhero drama. The protagonists' circumstance and personal history are nicely explained, and they're given a way to demonstrate their abilities that is interesting and exciting. There's nothing that really wowed me in the narrative so far, but this is almost like a textbook on how to properly introduce a new character and their environment.
Trevor
Proof that there is more to comics than DC and Marvel. Lion Forge makes some great comics. I really appreciate their dedication to diverse characters. When's the last time you read a comic with a superhero who happens to have down syndrome?
Jason
I'm mixed on the artwork in Superb V1, along with the plotting/pacing of the story. Also, I had an issue with Jonah's character design (a lead with Down Syndrome who you couldn't tell has Downs just by looking at him). (e-galley from NetGalley)
Liz (Quirky Cat)
Review to follow.
Adam Graham
Aug 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Out of the pages of the Catalyst Prime universe, we get Superb which focuses on Jonah, a down syndrome boy who acquired powers and becomes a hero and Kayla who is a far more cynical and nervous. Both are drawn in as the Foresight Corporation is taking superpowered kids off the streets of Youngstown for their own purposes.

This one is actually pretty good. I love the main character and am drawn into the story. Annoying, do the 4-issue nature of these collections the story is just really getting
Gary Lee

• Spider-Man: Miles Morales, Vol. 2
  • Accell, Vol. 2: Pop Quiz
  • Infidel
  • Noble Vol. 2: Never Events
David F. Walker is a writer, filmmaker, and award-winning journalist. He teaches Writing For Comics at Portland State University.

Catalyst Prime universe (1 - 10 of 24 books)
  • Accell, Vol 1: Home Schooling