Start by marking “Going to the Mountain: Life Lessons from My Grandfather, Nelson Mandela” as Want to Read:
Going to the Mountain: Life Lessons from My Grandfather, Nelson Mandela

Going to the Mountain: Life Lessons from My Grandfather, Nelson Mandela

The first-ever book to tell Nelson Mandela's life through the eyes of the grandson who was raised by him, chronicling Ndaba Mandela's life living with, and learning from, one of the greatest leaders and humanitarians the world has ever known.

To the rest of the world, Nelson Mandela was a giant: an anti-apartheid revolutionary, a world-renowned humanitarian, and South
Published June 26th 2018 by Hachette Books (first published June 2018)

To ask other readers questions about Going to the Mountain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Going to the Mountain

Start your review of Going to the Mountain: Life Lessons from My Grandfather, Nelson Mandela
Donna Davis
Nelson Mandela’s hundredth birthday approaches. His grandson Ndaba, whom Mandela raised following his release from prison, talks about growing up with the titan that led the movement against Apartheid in South Africa. He reflects on Xhosa culture and the role that it played in the struggle and in his own development, and it is within this framework that he talks about his grandfather, and about the future of his people.

My thanks go to Net Galley and Hachette Books for the review copy, which I
Alyssa Nelson
*I received a free copy of this book from the publisher through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.*

Going to the Mountain is a powerful memoir, told by Ndaba Mandela, the grandson of Nelson Mandela. He talks of his coming of age during a time when South Africa was in turmoil, and how the transition from apartheid to its current state affected him and his family. “Going to the mountain” is a phrase used by people in his tribe when they undertake the ritual to become a man, and ultimately,
Amena
Jan 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was really craving nonfiction when I picked this up from my stack. I wanted something solid and inspiring. I chose the right one. Written by Ndaba Mandela, Nelson Mandela's grandson, it reads like short stories and snippets of life lessons he got from him, not only from going to live with him, but also events that happened in his life which involved Mandela.

For me, Mandela is beyond inspiring and his face showed such a high level of kindness - you can see it on this cover. It is a very real
Joy
Sep 20, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: auto-biography
Kathleen
Jul 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
NDABA MANDELA SHARES HIS GRANDFATHER’S LESSONS
Ndaba Mandela, grandson of Nelson Mandela, retells stories, lessons, and legends from his grandfather in his recently released book entitled “Going to the Mountain.” Ndaba starts with the story of first meeting his grandfather under unique circumstances - him being seven years-old and his grandfather in jail. A few years later, his immediate family moves apart, and he begins to live with Nelson.

Ndaba tells rich folk tales and stories about meeting
Lyndon
Jul 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Inspiring words from Nelson Mandela’s grandson

Ndaba Mandela shares a candid and unflinching story about growing to know and love his grandfather. An amazing account of a life journey that still has so far to go. Looking forward to seeing how he will take in ever greater leadership roles.
Marcy prager
Jul 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It was very interesting to learn about Nelson Mandela from his grandson, who lived with him when he was young. Ndaba Mandela's parents were both alcoholics. Ndaba lived in Soweto until Nelson came out of jail after 27 years. When Nelson offered to house his grandson, his parents agreed, and for the first time Ndaba had a real home. Nelson had high expectations for his grandson. Ndaba, not always having a mature attitude, did not always follow his grandfather's high expectations, particularly ...more
Cristie Underwood
Jun 21, 2018 marked it as kindle
Going to the Mountain is a powerful memoir, told by Ndaba Mandela, the grandson of Nelson Mandela. He about coming of age when South Africa was in turmoil, and how the transition from apartheid to its current state affected him and his family. His tribe used the phrase "Going to the mountain" when they undertake the ritual to become a man. The writer wrote a brilliant book about this period of his life and about the lessons he learned. This book offered a glimpse of the relationship that Nelson ...more
David Kenvyn
Aug 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a unique view of Nelson Mandela. It is written by his grandson, Ndaba, and it tells the story of being brought up by Mandela, and what it meant to have him as an example, a mentor and the patriarch of the family. Of course, he was not the usual patriarchal figure because for 27 years he was not there. He was in prison. Ndaba Mandela did not meet his grandfather until he was seven years old, and the meeting took place in Victor Verster prison, a few months before his release. In ...more
Emma
Oct 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A beautifully written and insightful book about being Nelson Manela's Grandson. What he experienced growing up in his Grandfathers home and the lessons he learned from a great man. I really enjoyed reading this book.
There were some areas that caused a stumbling point for me. Ndaba compares Cinderella to a African folk story which has some similarities, however he states that the Cinderella version is all beautiful and everyone lives happily ever after with no dark elements of the story. The
Zoemozer
Aug 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Knowing little to nothing about Mandela and his time as president, Going to the Mountain gave a beautiful insight into the history of Africa. I was pleasantly surprised by how engaging this account was, both funny and wise simultaneously. For those that haven’t been exposed to much black culture I would really recommend reading this. It sheds light to the harsh reality of white supremacy and how others were treated. Bringing understanding to black culture and connection of family alongside the ...more
Ad Pluijmers
Oct 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read the Dutch translation (De moed om te vergeven). Nelson Mandela's grandson Ndaba gives some insights in the family man Nelson (Madiba). His grandfather takes him in his house and teaches him the 'lessons of life'. This is not always easy for a member of the Mandela family. After growing through 'normal' puberty Ndaba is subjected to the initiation rituals of his tribe. He finally does manage to graduate in the presence of his grandfather. Together with his nephew Kweku he now leads Africa ...more
Jonathan Johnson
Jun 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great book
I loved hearing the story of Nelson Mandela told by his grandson
Nelson Mandela went to prison for wanting to change South Africa when his kids were young
By the time he got out 30 years later his country and family were in disarray
He took in the author when he was young and taught him how to be a man
The story not only praises Nelson as a leader but it shows some of his flaws as well
I would recommend this book to anyone who wants to learn about South Africa’s from apartheid to democracy
Donna
Aug 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Ndaba Mandela was raised by his grandfather, Nelson, after his grandfather, Nelson, had been released from prison after almost 30 years. He and his grandfather did not know each other. His grandfather had very high expectations for Ndaba. It is a remarkable story at a remarkable time in South Africa.
Melissa Rinehart
Feb 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Ndaba Mandela's book expertly describes the balance between modern society and his rich culture and the incredible difference steady persistence can make. This book was a joy and pleasure to read...just wish I had read it aloud to my son. It gave me hope and a feeling of optimism that we still have strong leaders to fight for freedom.
Timothy
Nov 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: electronic
This book was an excellent journey, into the insight of someone who managed to grow up with family issues, not so much that it was normal or normalized, but the incidents presented demonstrated a solution, sometimes painful, some wisdom, and perspective. In many ways it does illustrate how thoughts and feelings are passed from generation to generation.
Ellie Thomas
Nov 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Beautifully written memoir which adds another dimension to the life and times of Nelson Mandela. Having just visited South Africa this book helped fill in some missing historical pieces of the puzzle.
Adam Cormier
Nov 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great recounting of life with Nelson Mandela after his release from prison and what it meant to be his grandson. Mandela made a point to get his grandson ready to inherit the duty of bringing South Africa out from underneath the long lasting effects of apartheid. Highly recommend.
Cartier Finniss
Aug 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
I thought this book was really insightful and a pleasant read; I found it to be both a brief educational introduction to Nelson Mandela himself as well as into certain South African cultures. It was interesting to hear about Nelson Mandela from an outside perspective.
Cathy
Oct 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book by the grandson of Nelson Mandela. Well-written, honest and engaging. Ndaba Mandela calls us to listen!
Justine Allen
Jul 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Lovely book, great story.
Linde
Really interesting read. I liked the fact that it was from Ndaba's perspective on Mandela.
Shirley-ann
Apr 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great book. Easy read and very insightful. Tells about the life of Madiba from a different angle
Anna
Jun 28, 2018 rated it it was ok
2.5* Felt childish at times.
Ashley Connolly
Aug 03, 2019 rated it liked it
Interesting, inspirational but fairly weak writing
Jasmine Fokkens
Sep 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great book
Kathy
Jul 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a great story read by Mandela’s grandson!!
Sue
Sep 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Fun read to hear about Nelson Mandela from his grandson's experience and perspective.
Adeel Ahmed
Nov 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Average. I was expecting more profound insight.
Osaid
Aug 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
interesting book.

• Het bestverkochte boek ooit (met deze titel): Hoe cijfers ons leiden, verleiden en misleiden
  • Liefde: Een onmogelijk verlangen
  • Beginnen over het einde
  • Hoe gaan we dit uitleggen
  • Proud: My Fight for an Unlikely American Dream
  • Reading Behind Bars: A True Story of Literature, Law, and Life as a Prison Librarian
  • In the Line of Fire
  • Imran Khan
  • How to Own the World: A Plain English Guide to Thinking Globally and Investing Wisely
  • Moord op de moestuin
  • I’m not dying with you tonight
  • What We Talk About When We Talk about Rape
  • Ik zie je
  • Duped: Double Lives, False Identities, and the Con Man I Almost Married
  • The Card: Collectors, Con Men, and the True Story of History's Most Desired Baseball Card
  • Stromboli
  • J. R. Simplot: A Billion the Hard Way
  • The Simulation Hypothesis
“There has to come a time when we children of apartheid, black and white, say to each other, "Look, my grandparents were not right with your grandparents. My parents were not right with your parents. But I want to be right with you." We have to be the generation who understands that racism, sexism, homophobia, religious bigotry - inequality in all its ugly guises - splinters the most powerful asset available to humankind: unity.” 0 likes