Start by marking “The Mammoth Book of Best New Horror, #12” as Want to Read:
The Mammoth Book of Best New Horror, #12

The Mammoth Book of Best New Horror, #12

The acclaimed collection of contemporary horror fiction, this year s Best New Horror again showcases the talents of the finest writers working the field of terror. Sifting through the year in horror, award-winning editor Stephen Jones has chosen the year s best stories by the old masters and new voices alike. The latest volume of the Best New Horror series features stories ...more
Published December 31st 2001 by Carroll & Graf Publishers (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Mammoth Book of Best New Horror, #12, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mammoth Book of Best New Horror, #12

Start your review of The Mammoth Book of Best New Horror, #12
Lucian Poll
Jan 17, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After reading the introductions to several stories in Best New Horror 12 you’d be forgiven for thinking this was less the best horror fiction published during 2000 and more a collection of writers’ B-sides, rejections and side projects. There’s entertainment to be had still, don’t fret, but it’s telling that there were no award winners or nominees among the running order. Overall this is a 4/5 from me, but only just.

Best New Horror 12 contains twenty-two stories, and runs as follows:

Castle in
Greg
Sep 08, 2007 rated it really liked it
This is a book I read mainly in January and February 2004 so, in writing this review in 2013, my memory of the details are now rather slim! However, finding some very brief notes I took in 2004 regarding a few of the stories I read (especially those that I liked), I thought I would add them here. Should I re-read this book at any stage, I might flesh out the comments a bit more.

In Mark Morris's 'Coming home', a wife sees future apparitions of her husband, yet to die in a crash.

Joel Lane's 'The
Christina Strupp
May 16, 2019 rated it liked it
Favorites were Mick Garris's "Forever Gramma," Ramsey Campbell's "No Strings," Dennis Etchison's "The Detailer," and Kathe Koja's "At Eventide."
Cathy
Jul 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror
A better-than-average entry in the "best new horror" series. None of the stories are outright groaners, and many are eerie. There are also some nice juxtapositions ... three ill-fated vacation trips, and two stories about, of all things, carnivorous/supernatural leaves. There are two lengthy excerpts from Kim Newman's Anno Dracula series, which are a combination of intriguing and too cute for me -- Barbie the vampire slayer? Oh please.

Of course, this is 10 years old, so it's not best NEW
John Bruni
Feb 02, 2013 rated it did not like it
Kind of disappointing. Very few good stories. I'm not a fan of Kim Newman, but he had the best story in the book with "Castle in the Desert," a hardboiled vampire story. The only other notable story here was "The Detailer" by Dennis Etchison, but I'd already read it elsewhere.
Greg Kerestan
Jan 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
I'm always a sucker for a new Kim Newman story, and this one delivers with "Castle in the Desert." Plus, Thomas Ligotti contributes "I Have a Special Plan for This World," and "The Hunger of the Leaves" is just as good as the title.
bluetyson
The Mammoth Book of Best New Horror, Volume 12 by Stephen Jones (2001)
William
Average stories in an average book. Nothing stellar here.
Elena
Aug 21, 2013
Remmik Petra
Jan 11, 2013
Aladar
rated it did not like it
Sep 21, 2018
Mar 17, 2012
Tina Navarro
May 29, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Nebraska City (Images of America: Nebraska)
  • Incident at Big Sky: The True Story of Sheriff Johnny France and the Capture of the Mountain Men
  • The Fun Knowledge Encyclopedia: The Crazy Stories Behind the World's Most Interesting Facts (Trivia Bill's General Knowledge Book 1)
  • Empathy for the Devil
  • The Encyclopedia of Ancient Giants in North America
  • The Quakers: The History and Legacy of the Religious Society of Friends
  • The Hollywood Scandal Almanac: 12 Months of Sinister, Salacious and Senseless History!
  • The Children's Blizzard
  • The Whisperer and Other Voices: Short Stories and a Novella
  • Wicked New Orleans: The Dark Side of the Big Easy
  • The Mystery of the Exploding Teeth and Other Curiosities from the History of Medicine
  • What Do You Do With a Chocolate Jesus?: An Irreverent History of Christianity
  • UFOs: Generals, Pilots and Government Officials Go on the Record
  • Jackasses of History: Bathroom Reader and Handy Manual of Unpleasant Trivia
  • Where Angels Fear to Tread (Remy Chandler, #3)
  • Raw Revelation: The Bible They Never Tell You About
  • The Far Side Gallery 3
  • This Explains Everything: Deep, Beautiful, and Elegant Theories of How the World Works
Stephen Jones is an eighteen-time winner of the British Fantasy Award.