Start by marking “Moon-Bright Tides (Lunar Requiem, #1)” as Want to Read:
Moon-Bright Tides (Lunar Requiem, #1)

Moon-Bright Tides (Lunar Requiem, #1)

The night sky is very dark without a moon, and there hasn't been one for decades. Without one to govern the oceans, it falls to Riven, reluctant sea-witch, to sail out alone every night across the midnight ocean to cast a spell to call in the tides.

She hates it. Hates the moonless dark, hates the endless deep, and hates the fact that without a witch to sing in the tides, s
ebook, 1, 36 pages
Published January 2018 by Kraken Collective Books

To ask other readers questions about Moon-Bright Tides, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Moon-Bright Tides

⚔ Silvia ⚓
I was sent this book by the author but all opinions are my own.

I was trying to find a reason to give this less than five stars but there simply isn't one.

This short story is about a human witch and a mermaid who fall in love. They're both alone for different reasons and they find company and eventually love in each other.

The witch, Riven, has the important and inescapable job of creating tides with her singing, since the moon has been missing for many years. This has affected the mer world and
E.
This was a really cute story about a mermaid and a witch. It's a short story but the world is well-developed, the characters do not lack depth, and the relationship does not seem rushed.
I especially loved the ending - it was a neat conclusion!

__________________________

insta | twitter | blog | booksirens | duolingo
Shira Glassman
Feb 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This review originally appeared on the Lesbrary. First of all, do I really need to say anything other than “sweet romance novella between a witch and a mermaid” in the first place? But I have lots more to say about Moon-Bright Tides by RoAnna Sylver, which rocketed to the top of my f/f fantasy recs list as soon as I read it last month.

“If you ever fear the water again, remember that I’m in it.” That was the point where I teared up and started flailing on Twitter.

It’s easy to reel me in with a fa
Claudie Arseneault
Jan 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, lgbt, indie
This is the fluffiest witch/mermaid story ever, and I highly recommend it. It's adorable, it's touching, it's gorgeous. Read through it in a single sitting.
Chasia Lloyd
Jan 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Guhhhh! This was so gorgeous and sweet. I loved this novella (novelette?) to pieces. Such beautiful writing, such a wonderful and fantastical f/f romance.
Charlotte Anne Hamilton
[[4.5 STARS]]

this was actually so adorable and unique! I loved every second of it! Honestly, I cannot wait to read more of RoAnna's stuff because their writing is just INCREDIBLE!! This was fluffy and tense and mysterious and yes. I loved it.
Shelby Eileen
Jan 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
I loved this little story so much. Though it’s a short read, it still had the ability to make me feel a wide range of emotions in a short period of time. It was painful and melancholy and also sweet and happy. The two main characters (a witch called Riven and a mermaid called Moonbright) are super cute together and I love that in the beginning they do this little dance around each other, finding their footing and settling into being super comfortable and familiar. Their relationship progresses s ...more
Steph [They/Them] (Wickedjr Reads)
It may be a short story but it made me cry, happy tears!! It was emotional and sad, but it ends up very happy and cute f/f romance between a witch and a mermaid! I loved how it talked about Riven's anxiety and all that. I was able to relate to her and it touched me. The world-building was fantastic for such a short story. The mermaids name can not be pronounced by humans. The witch, Riven, has no choice but to call in the tides with a shell and a song because the moon was lost long ago, no one k ...more
Betty BoomBa
Apr 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ff-fantasy
Magic, witches and mermaids. Perfect.

This is a very short and sweet, but well told. I love that the mermaid isn't just some pretty girl with a tail, but stands out as very different. Alien.
The world building looks reasonably sound, although in a story of this length it is hard to to put too many details in. I would have liked to have seen more about how the MC and her mermaid fit in with "normal" world, and how this world is represented now there is no moon. But it is a short story, more isolate
Nicole Field
Apr 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was exactly what I wanted, exactly when I wanted it and I'm so glad to see that it's the first in a new series.

World building? There was a bunch of that. Riven is a witch, the only one of her line, who is able to command the tides after humans destroyed the moon. It seems like this was an accident. However, it's mostly effected the mers, and they blame humans bitterly for it. To the point of savaging them and sinking their ships when they cross paths.

Riven doesn't like the spell she needs
Andi C Buchanan
Feb 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I don't read much romance, so I was surprised by how much I enjoyed this one. It's sweet and emotionally believable, with a lot of worldbuilding and characterisation for such a small number of pages. And despite the fact it leaves many questions unanswered, it was ultimately a very satisfying read.
Queerly Reads
Apr 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lesbians
This review by Robin can also be found here: https://www.queerlyreads.com/home/201...

“Riven could never look at the sea without thinking of drowning. She only had to catch a glimpse of waves, and her heart would constrict, blood running cold and breath rushing from her lungs. Facing her worst fears never got easier, though she’d told herself it would for years.”

In RoAnna Sylver’s dystopian, moonless world, Riven is a lonely sea-witch who every night, with the help of a shell and a song, calls in
Alexa
I read this story without knowing it was going to be a series (of loosely connected stories - you can still read this one without any of the future ones, but why would you do that?), and man, am I ready for more queer supernatural romance!

This one is a magical f/f story between a witch and a mermaid that I absolutely loved. I love the writing, the characters and the lore in this short story and I'm looking forward to reading more about this moonless world.
Barry Raifsnider
This was absolutely lovely and wonderful! I loved the characters and the romance was very cute! I also really liked the world building, there's so much of it in this short story, it's great. I can't wait to read more of this series when it comes out.
Devann
Did someone say lesbian mermaids? I'm there! This was a really cute short story about a mermaid and a witch that fall in love. I usually don't give such short stories a rating higher than 3 stars, but Sylver managed to pack a lot into only 30 pages and I found myself really enjoying this. It reminded me a bit of The Witch Sea by Sarah Diemer, so if you've read that story then I would definitely recommend this one.
Scarllet ✦ Underrated Lit Warrior
4.5⭐

What a touching short story about a mermaid, a witch and their connection! It held a pretty good pace throughout and warmed my heart in one sitting, making it a perfectly sweet read for a cold monday. Cute, fluffy, intense and magical - I absolutely loved it ♡
Dax Murray
Jan 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2018
This was an incredibly cute story! The conflict for both of the characters - the witch Riven and the mermaid Moonbright - were entertwined in a way that meant they both had to work together to achieve what they wanted. And in doing so, becoming an adorable couple. Both Riven and Moonbright have hangups and pasts that threaten to drown them both in the dark (pun sorta intended), but as they get to know one another, they find ways of allowing the other to be who they wanted to be. I love how this ...more
Erin(mortaldivergence)
Jan 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
"Sometimes, words were too much. Sometimes they weren't enough. Sometimes it seemed like both and the same time, like the world was pressing in and opening up all at once, dizzying and dreamlike and overwhelmingly real."

I loved this! It was so cute! And I loved the writing!
A cozy read I didn’t know I needed

Ugh, I adore RoAnna’s stories and this is no exception. This is so warm and cozy, and the buildup between Moonbright and Riven is beautiful. They’re so precious and them getting to know one another, and how they care for each other is just, yes please!!

I also really like how this doesn’t at all match “traditional” ideas of what a mermaid looks like because Moonbright isn’t conventionally beautiful, but something unique to mers rather than human ideas (idk how to
Dannica Zulestin
Jan 24, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: quiltbag, novella, viva, f-f
A fun f/f short. Basically, this is a world where somehow because of human actions the moon has disappeared, which leaves the tides inert. Riven is a witch who sails out on her boat every night to say a spell that makes the tides move. Moonbright is a mermaid whose people are suffering a shortage of food due to the loss of the tides, and who has left their people because she disagrees with their habit of eating humans whose ships sink. The two meet, and they fall in love.

My Thoughts
I really like
Natalie Cannon
Jun 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Moon-Bright Tides caught my eye when it first came out because I am an absolute sucker for magical creature kissing. When Sylver and the Kraken Collective offered a free download to celebrate #MerMay, I jumped at the chance and was absolutely thrilled.

Quite short page-wise, Moon-Bright Tides is a lovely tale placed firmly as one of Sylver's "oddly optimistic dystopia books," as she describes them in her author bio. Humanity exploded the moon, and this catastrophe has caused a lot of problems. Fo
Marthese Formosa
''She did it all with a shell and a song''

A sweet fantasy read that's quick (perfect for a break!).

Moon-Bright Tides is the first in a series of stories that take place in a world where the moon is missing. I'm looking forward to read more.

This story is about Riven, a witch who is afraid of the sea but that each night goes in a clamshell boat (how cool is that!) and sing to guide the tides (which depend on the moon but there is no moon).

Riven self-cares with pre-cooked stews - lots of stews and
Kopratic
Feb 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
[I received this story as an ARC from Kraken Collective Books. Thank you.]

With all of the excitement over the blue blood moon that just occurred this year (2018), it seems fitting to read a book where there is no moon. Just “a hole, darker than even the rest of the night sky” (Sylver). Riven is a witch tasked with singing the tides in and out every night. She is alone. But one night she spots a strange figure on her dock, reaching for the stew Riven always has cooking. The figure is a mermaid. R
Nonjabulo
Jun 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Raiting: 4 1/2 ⭐

What a soft ass story! Like I don't even know how to describe it, but it was just so soft!

Riven is a witch who has to sing to the ocean in order to create tides. The moons been lost, and Riven has lost her family, so it's left to her sing to the ocean.

She hates it.

Riven is afraid of the ocean, she keeps having a reaccuring dream where she's drowning and something is pulling at her and she doesn't know whether she's being drowned or saved. So her singing to the ocean is a huge bur
Rhys
Mar 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I have been feeling kind of down lately, and because of this I have been leaning towards more fluffy and sweet stories - but also, sometimes, if stories feel too fake and happy, it can make me feel even worse when I'm depressed. Moon-Bright Tides was the perfect medium for me to read right now, and is just such a cute and enjoyable short story at any time. I really loved both the main characters, and I especially enjoyed the characterization of Moon-Bright, the mermaid love interest: she was swe ...more
Quinn
May 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Moon-Bright Tides is a soft, sweet story, and in my opinion meant to be read while you are safe and warm and away from anything cold and briny. It would warm you up were you to read it somewhere less comfortable though. It's about finding commonality with people seemingly entirely different than you, that you may have even been taught to be afraid of, but recognizing your universal humanity (I can't think of a better word. Mermaidness doesn't sound quite right). Riven and Moonbright share the no ...more
Jul 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I read this book as part of my review of #OwnVoices disability authors/writers for disability awareness month.

This is a sweet, cute, quick read about a romance between a mermaid and a witch. The witch is sad, lonely, and traumatized because of how she ended up being the person to sing in the tides. The mermaid she meets is also sad, and literally starving - they connect and it is a lovely story of friendship and care taking that becomes love.

I judge books by several things - character developme
Morv
Jun 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This story is fantastic, is lovingly written and if you have read RoAnna's previous works, you know how much effort and thought she has put into it, to making it just right and fitting the designs that she has for this gorgeous couple.

Should everyone read this book? I'd say yes, although I do understand that some people will be turned off by the fact it's a short story, there is no proper action taking place, this is a couple of women who are developing a relationship in a way that's a bit diffe
Celine
The moon has disappeared, and it is up to Riven to magically sing in the sea tide. This is a lonely endeavour, until one day, she meets a mermaid.

Moon-Bright Tides is a sweet short-story, well-written and lovingly crafted. It has the flavour of a fairy-tale or a myth, a timeless story of humanoids finding their place in the world. I very much enjoyed this sweet f/f romance where the differences between the characters are never problematised. The cover really isn't my favourite, but the story is
RoAnna Sylver is passionate about stories that give hope, healing and even fun for LGBT, disabled and other marginalized people, and thinks we need a lot more. Aside from writing oddly optimistic dystopia and vampire books, RoAnna is a blogger, artist, singer, and voice actor.

RoAnna lives with family and a small snorking dog near Portland, OR, and probably spends too much time playing videogames.