Start by marking “Governess Gone Rogue (Dear Lady Truelove, #3)” as Want to Read:
Governess Gone Rogue (Dear Lady Truelove, #3)

Governess Gone Rogue

(Dear Lady Truelove #3)

Dear Lady Truelove...

My twin brother and I need a new mother, though Papa insists he'll never marry again. Must be nice, brainy, and fond of cats...

Lady Truelove may be London's most famous advice columnist, but James St. Clair, the Earl of Kenyon, knows his wild young sons need a tutor, not a new mother. They need a man tough enough to make his hellions tow the line, and
Published January 29th 2019 by Avon

To ask other readers questions about Governess Gone Rogue, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Governess Gone Rogue

Mei
Feb 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: historical
It was a sweet story of a man who lost his beloved wife, has been left alone and heartbroken with two twin sons and a woman who lost everything because of a betrayed love.

As I said, it was sweet and full of beautiful moments where Amanda teaches the children and suffers their pranks! It was fun to read how the boys act with both Amanda and their father!

Amanda first disguises herself as a man and is hired as tutor to James' sons. Obviously she's soon discovered, but it's too late: the boys love h
Rowena
This was a fun read that took me no time at all to get read. Oh man, Mr. Seton was the bomb! Haha. I'm not normally a fan of secrets in my stories but Amanda had good reason and Jamie's reaction when he finds out the truth then seeing them fall in love with each other made for a wonderfully romantic story. The boys were great too. Lots of goodness in this one.
Amy ~ Love At 1st Read
Sep 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love anything Laura Lee Guhrke writes but her Dear Lady Truelove series has to be my favorite. And her newest, Governess Gone Rogue, is the most spectacular yet. I fell in love with every single character, except the villain of course, almost immediately.
I admired and loved Amanda. She was such a unique character. She had an education to rival any man but her employment was limited due to her gender. Had she been a man, she wouldn’t have lost a job, or been ruined by a love affair, or impos
Desi
Feb 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Charming story. I was looking for a quick foray into reading after a bit of a break and this was just what I was looking for. Slow build, minimal angst, sufficient humour, discernible personalities rather than stock characters, a respectably handled, loving first spouse, cute kids, kind servants, interesting backstory, and a gimmick that was not dragged out too long.

Seriously the big reveal was hilarious, the best ever. Followed by a reasonable reaction and resolution to said secret. And thankf
Stacee
Dec 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
I requested this one on a whim because the synopsis was just too much fun...and it didn’t disappoint.

I loved Amanda. She knows what she wants and has the smarts to figure out how to get it. I loved that she was tenacious enough to portray a man, especially in this time period. Jamie was stoic and stern and it was amusing seeing the two of them interact. Of course, the twins stole every scene they were in.

Plot wise, I was expecting repetitiveness, but it never came. The lessons were fun and the
Sheila Melo
Jan 29, 2019 rated it it was ok
FINAL DECISION: I was honestly bored by this book that unfortunately didn't live up to the promise of the series. Readers who want the story of a woman who overcomes all sorts of historical prejudices and limitations placed on woman this story is good, but the romance was undeveloped and there was no chemistry. The hero had no real personality and was just a foil for the heroine.

THE STORY: Amanda Leighton is ruined and turned out from her life's calling of being a teacher. When she overhears Jam
Blodeuedd Finland
Another Justine Eyre narration. Ok so I do adore her narrations, and I know I have listen to her a lot lately, but it is really by accident! But ok if I do see her name it does sway me towards the book, so maybe I choose books without knowing it.

Also look at that cover, short hair! They really got it right, I am impressed. Yes, our plucky heroine cuts her hair, pretends to be a man and becomes a tutor to two wild boys. I would have run screaming, but she sticks it out.

Our handsome hero has his h
Kwan
Feb 01, 2019 rated it it was ok
The Cover Story:
I dig the cover, because being an Asian I like ladies with black hair. Hey! don’t cry racist. I’m not. I just like black hair, sue me.
But the dress needs to go, like stat. The balloon sleeves just make me cringe. Cringe with bugging eyes and strained neck! And what’s up with the purple background anyway? *rolling my eyes*

*disclaimer* My first review exclusively for this blog! Yay! Yahoo! Whoop Whoop! Yowza! (I think I exhausted all words in English and gibberish that convey cel
Sharyn
Feb 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A Historical Romance between a widower (Jamie), who loved his first wife(!), and Amanda, a unmarried college-educated teacher who is not a virgin(!). This was so refreshing to read and seemed very REAL for a late Victorian Romance. Jamie has two very rambunctious 10 year old twin boys who he doesn’t know what to do with. Amanda, after being disgraced in a scandal, is desperately looking for a position as a nanny or governess, if she can find someone to overlook the scandal and her lack of refere ...more
Gawelleb
Feb 08, 2019 rated it did not like it
J'abandonne ... J'ai essayé plusieurs fois mais rien n'y a fait. A aucun moment, je ne suis parvenue à entrer dans l'histoire. Déjà le gimmick de la femme qui se travestie passe difficilement avec moi ... c'est du déjà archi-vu! Je ne sais pas ... rien n'a pu me sortir du sentiment d'ennui ...
herdys
Feb 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Cross dressing tutor? Cute but mischievous boy twins and a starchy hero? It was so good even if it was not as much of a slow burn as the other one.
Tracy Emro
Jan 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.5 rounded up

Amanda Leighton was once a well respected teacher, but when she foolishly followed her heart, she was left shamed, ruined and disgraced. When she learns that widower James St. Clair, Earl of Kenyon is in need of a tutor for his twin sons, she knows she is perfect for the job and will not let something as trivial as not being a man stop her.

James knows his sons want a new mother, but his heart died with his beloved wife. He is dead inside and buries his pain in work and furthering h
The Book Junkie Reads . . .
Could this one have been any more fun. I laughed a lot and just fell hard and fast for a couple of small people. Amanda and Jamie were each in their own rights appealing and luring to the tale but I think the children made the magic happen. They were the extra sparkle that made it all work. This read went too fast and that was because I found it hard to put it down. I wanted to know what was coming next.

Amanda breaking down the barriers to her gender was the highlight even if she had to do it i
Zubee
Feb 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
A sweet story about how an educated h decides to cross dress and apply for a job as tutor to H's very, very naughty twin boys who made absolutely adorable plot moppets ...
H was a serious man who had had a wild youth and was reformed by his first wife's love
h was an educated but repressed woman who was seduced and dumped by a man and created a huge scandal
The deception doesn't last long but H and h become friends ..
OM villain gets a good comeuppance and the ending was rather sweet ...
All in all,
Amanda Siegrist
Feb 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a fun read! I thoroughly enjoyed Amanda and her fight to survive after such a scandal. I stayed up super late just to finish this book!
Smitten
Originally posted on Smitten By Books Review blog

Timely, moving, and oh so romantic.

Guhrke ensnared me again with the heroine posing as a man. Sure I’ve read about heroine’s dressing up as men to sneak into Duke’s homes for journalist purposes or to venture into dens of debauchery, or even to start up infamous gaming hells. But… posing as a man to gain a tutor position? Not lately.

Add in a widower, Lord Jamie Kenyon. Sure he’s a lord, but a black sheep one. He’s also a barrister and an MP, elect
Gaele
It’s rare that I use ‘charming’ as an adjective to refer to a book or series, but Guhrke’s Dear Lady Truelove series are simply that. Charming, clever, funny and full of hopeful heart, making them a wonderful way to spend a few hours. In this book, Amanda Leighton is the heroine: well-educated, clever, determined and wholly unique, she’s wanting to be a tutor – but that isn’t something that ‘women do’, no matter how well-qualified they are. But, James is in need of a tutor – one determined and s ...more
Maz
Feb 06, 2019 rated it it was ok
I am a huge LLG fan, and of course I always look forward to her next, but I am currently 60% through the book and it is making me cringe. It is the story of Amanda, a highly educated but ruined young lady who, in desperate times, dresses up as a man so that she can get a job as a tutor for the twin ruffian boys of a newly minted Marquess. This ruse does not last for long, as our hero, Lord Kenyon (whose Christian name is James but the author refers to his PoV as "Jamie"), finds her out, but then ...more
Elley Murray
I am a total sucker for a story about a woman disguised as a woman. I don't know why I love them, I just do. So when I saw the latest in the Dear Lady Truelove series was a woman disguised as a man/mistaken identities trope, you'd better believe I jumped on it. And I'm so glad I did, because this is my favorite book of the series so far!

I really enjoyed Amanda. I love an unconventional woman in historical romances, and she's got that double pronged attack of being both well-educated and a woman
Sissy's Romance Book Review
Governess Gone Rogue by Laura Lee Guhrke is book Three in the Dear Lady Truelove Series. This is the story of Amanda Leighton and James St. Clair, the Earl of Kenyon. I have read the previous books and do feel you can make this a standalone book if you wish to do so.
James needs a tutor for his son and goes forward to hire a man for the job. Amanda's wants to be a tutor and she knows she can help them learn. So if James needs a man tutor she can be that 'man'. James sees his son is learning when
Cassandra
Feb 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love a cross dressing heroine! This was a fun second chance romance for both characters. The author has a real talent for creating compelling characters who are more or less true to their time. And I loved the twin boys who are full of mischief but also desperate for familial love. The whole Truelove series has been fantastic despite very little Lady Truelove in this story. 4.5 stars
Sam
Feb 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romances
Cute! Been a while since ive finished a romance novel so im glad to get back in the groove. The lady truelove bit wasnt too prevalent but i havent read the others in this series so i suppose itd make more sense then. Loved amanda and the twins and tbh i LOVED how the whole final conflict gets sorted out, especially bc amanda has like, real valid reasons for thinking this wont work. V sweet ending
Harlequin Historical
Miniseries: Dear Lady Truelove
Victorian
Kira
Oct 23, 2018 rated it liked it
Not bad but all of their issues were resolved easily.
Nina Reads Too
Very cute book

This is a very cute book. If you like the true love series. It is a must read. This is a second chance love for both characters. There are very cute and mischievous twins.
Erin
Feb 02, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This one was just okay for me. I enjoyed her previous installment much better.

Essentially this book was “The Sound of Music” meets “Yentl,” which I would have thought I’d enjoy more. But I think both Jamie and Amanda weren’t drawn well enough for me. I can’t put my finger on why exactly, but I didn’t feel like I could see them clearly in my mind’s eye.

I wasn’t overly excited about Amanda. It wasn’t that she did anything wrong per se, I just didn’t connect with her. I thought the moment she and
Kim
Jan 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Widower, James St. Clair, Lord Kenyon and the next in line for Marquess of Rolleston cannot seem to keep nannies and good staff employed to his rambunctious twin sons, Colin and Owen. He thinks the answer is a male tutor instead, but that is not easy to find either.

Amanda Leighton is in desperate need of a job. She is educated, intelligent, but made a mistake for love and scandal ruined her good name. So when she overhears Jamie is in need of a tutor and knows that no female would be considered
Shyann
This is my favorite book in the series so far. Amanda is looking for work but having a reputation that’s been a bit tarnished she knows her chances of getting a post are slim. After overhearing James St Clair talk of his need for a tutor she reflects on the fact that things would be much easier for her if she was only a man. Unfair? Yes. But that was the reality she had to work around. And Amanda isn’t the kind of heroine to let a little thing like gender get in the way of her getting a job she ...more
Escape_in_a_Book
Feb 10, 2019 rated it liked it
A disgraced intellectual dons britches and masquerades as a tutor to twin sons of a widower with connections to the ton? Oooo this sounds like my kinda crack. 👈🏻 My internal dialogue while reading the synopsis.

I love a great historical where someone is hiding in plain sight as the opposite gender. I like it when the person is essentially thrill seeking. In the end, the damsel in breeches irked me in this particular story because the heroine’s life was destroyed due to good old-fashioned slut sha
  • The Scoundrel in Her Bed (Sins for All Seasons, #3)
  • Ten Things I Hate About the Duke (Difficult Dukes, #2)
  • Dare to Love a Duke (The London Underground, #3)
  • When a Rogue Meets His Match (Greycourt, #2)
  • The Wallflower Wager (Girl Meets Duke, #3)
  • Brazen and the Beast (The Bareknuckle Bastards, #2)
  • Lady Derring Takes a Lover (The Palace of Rogues #1)
  • A Rogue by Night (The Devils of Dover, #3)
  • When a Duchess Says I Do (Rogues to Riches #2)
  • One Fine Duke (School for Dukes, #3)
  • This Scot of Mine (The Rogue Files, #4)
  • Untitled (Rokesbys #4)
  • Duchess by Design (The Gilded Age Girls Club, #1)
  • Say No to the Duke (The Wildes of Lindow Castle, #4)
  • The Devil Comes Courting (The Worth Saga #3)
  • My Fair Duchess (Dukes Behaving Badly, #5)
  • The Scottish Duke
  • A Dark and Stormy Knight (Victorian Rebels, #7)
From the publication of her very first historical romance, Laura Lee Guhrke has received numerous honors and critical acclaim for her novels and her writing style. She has been honored with the most prestigious award of romance fiction, the Romance Writers of America Rita Award, and she has received additional awards from Romantic Times and All About Romance. Romantic Times has proclaimed her, “On ...more

Dear Lady Truelove (4 books)
  • The Truth About Love and Dukes (Dear Lady Truelove, #1)
  • The Trouble with True Love (Dear Lady Truelove, #2)
  • Heiress Gone Wild (Dear Lady Truelove, #4)