Start by marking “The Mammoth Book of Comic Fantasy II” as Want to Read:
The Mammoth Book of Comic Fantasy II

The Mammoth Book of Comic Fantasy II

3.66  ·  Rating details ·  455 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
Bungee-jumping demons, mad Magi, seafaring aliens, and a tricky wizard who leaks to the press populate this new collection of magic and mayhem from fantasy's funniest, wackiest writers, among them Harlan Ellison, Ambrose Bierce, Neil Gaiman, Craig Shaw Gardner, Harry Harrison, Tom Holt, and many more. Here are the madcap fantasies of "The Case of the Four-and-Twenty Blackb ...more
Paperback, First, 494 pages
Published November 10th 1999 by Running Press (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about The Mammoth Book of Comic Fantasy II, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mammoth Book of Comic Fantasy II

Libby
I got this cheap at Halfprice Books - at full price I would have been disappointed but on sale this was a fun way to get copies of a few really good stories I would not have otherwise come across -

These made this compilation worthwhile -

Uncle Henry Passes by Esther Friesner

The Aliens Who Knew, I Mean, Everything by George Alec Effinger (5 stars to this story!)

The Case of Four and Twenty Blackbirds by Neil Gaiman

The Man Who Hated Cadillacs by E.K. Grant

The rest ranged from very poor to chuckle
Carly Kirk
Jul 09, 2017 rated it liked it
So there were 34 stories in this collection... and I only found myself laughing out loud on 2 of them. Some of the rest were mildly amusing and all were well written, but there were at least two that I couldn't even fathom what they were supposed to be about, much less did I find them funny. So I don't see myself keeping this book to reread just for the 2 stories I enjoyed out of all the rest. And those 2: The Top 50 Things I'd Do If I Ever Became an Evil Overlord by Peter Anspach and How to be ...more
Ashley
The Aliens who knew, I mean, Everything - 5/5 stars
History Book - 4/5 stars
Elyah P. Jo
Marsha
Comeuppances, unexpected plot twists, weird magical gifts, beleaguered magicians and spells gone awry are among some of the themes of these stories that look at the funny side of fantasy. There’s a lot to pick and choose here, from modern writers like Neil Gaiman to obscure ones like John Kendrick Bangs (he who wrote the oft-published “The Water Ghost of Harrowby Hall”) and a plethora of other authors. Long-time science fiction fans may be surprised to find that their favorite writers had their ...more
Jasmiina F
3,3/5.
This is a collection of fantasy and science fiction stories. My favorite stories were A Slow Day in Hell (Julia S. Mandala), The Aliens Who Knew Everything (George Alec Effinger) and History Book (John Grant). Most of the stories were good, but there were some that I just didn’t like that much.

I think there were only two stories I didn’t like at all, The Ultimate from Seamus Cullen and Quest from Sue Anderson.

The only authors I was already familiar with were Neil Gaiman and Tom Holt. Four
Shawn Dvorak
Aug 14, 2013 rated it liked it
This compilation includes short stories from the usual suspects in comic fantasy: Neil Gaiman, Harry Harrison, Ambrose Bierce, and Alan Dean Foster, but there are also several stories from authors I didn't expect. Who knew William Schenk Sullivan (yes, Sullivan of Gilbert & Sullivan fame) wrote quite a lot of comic fantasy prose in between comic operas? I enjoyed all 35 stories in this collection, and many of them induced me to seek out other works by the authors.
Aleksandra
Jul 17, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010
Po pierwszym tomie Opowieści o Czarodziejach z radością zabrałam się za czytanie następnego zbioru opowiadań. Muszę przyznać, że trochę się zawiodłam, większość opowiadań była przeciętna jak nie po prostu słaba. Zdarzyły się "perełki", które owładnęły mną całkowicie, ale to nadal zbyt mało. Poprzedni tom o wiele lepszy.
Will
Dec 06, 2012 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book more than the previous volume, as the selections were funnier.
David Melbie
Jan 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Comic fantasy fans
Recommended to David by: Picked myself
I was into to this type of story this particular month. This stuff is funny! After reading Pratchett, I was on this kick. . .
Quirkyreader
Nov 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book is cock a block of very funny stories.
Rali
Aug 14, 2012
Kaja Bielecka
Jan 28, 2015
  • The Leaky Establishment
  • Steven Moffat's Doctor Who 2010: The Critical Fan's Guide to Matt Smith's First Series (Unauthorized)
  • The Flying Sorcerers: More Comic Tales of Fantasy
  • The Complete Peanuts, 1963-1966
  • Footrot Flats One (Footrot Flats, #1)
  • MAD's Greatest Artists: The Completely MAD Don Martin
  • My Favorite Fantasy Story
  • The Boys Book
  • Stars and Stripes Triumphant (Stars & Stripes, #3)
  • Here Comes Garfield
  • The Discworld Almanak: The Year of the Prawn
  • The Oxford Book of Fantasy Stories
  • Legends Volume 2
  • Tintin in the New World
  • The Mammoth Book of SF Wars
  • The Year's Best Fantasy and Horror: Fifteenth Annual Collection
Michael Raymond Donald Ashley is the author and editor of over sixty books that in total have sold over a million copies worldwide. He lives in Chatham, Kent.
More about Mike Ashley