Jump to ratings and reviews

Miss Match

Want to snag that certain someone? You need Miss Match!

Sasha Finnegan has always had a knack for setting people up, and at sixteen, she's turned her talent into an online business, molding high school crushes into true love. But Sasha finds her toughest match yet when hottie Derek Urban asks her to set him up with Sasha's gorgeous sister, Maddie. It's not that Derek isn't a good catch. In fact, after spending so much time with him, Sasha can't help but think he's perfect - for her, that is.

Can Sasha push her feelings aside for the sake of her business? Or has this miss finally found her match?

304 pages, Paperback

9 books197 followers

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
161 (8%)
1 star
46 (2%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 71 reviews
Profile Image for Sara ♥.
1,355 reviews140 followers
January 11, 2010
This was a REALLY cute book... It took place in Salt Lake City, Utah, but the main character is DEFINITELY not a Mormon... But that's okay. SLC is only like 50% Mormon, after all. But that's beside the point. The book was really cute.

Well, one more... As a Texan, I was a BIT disturbed by the stereotypical Texan boy that moves into town... holy COW... The kid's got a horse and boots and a cowboy hat and has a Texan accent... But he IS from Paris, Texas, which looks ABOUT as big as the town my in-laws are from... And people there really DO have accents... But not horses! Geez! But whatever. People really think that of Texas, and we were at least portrayed in a lovely way—polite and considerate and nice and stuff. And we really do say "fixin' to"... Love that phrase! I'm fixin' to actually start this review... :)

So the book starts with the main character, who is 15, accidentally backing into her old neighbor's car. She doesn't want to report the accident to her insurance OR tell her parents, as she's just about to get her driving permit (she was just backing the car out onto the street so she could play basketball in the driveway)... So she agrees to pay the neighbor's car bill privately. $800.00. So she's like, "Crapola! I gotta get a job!" So she decides (with help from her best friend) to create a dating service... You'd pay her some mula, and she, Miss Match, would help you get the person you're pining over... So 6 months later, she's only 1 case short of having her neighbor paid back. And then a guy wants to hire her to help him ask her own SISTER out... And things start to get interesting....... :) It was lovely...
Profile Image for Natalie.
2,337 reviews51 followers
February 3, 2019

This got a bit cheesy, but was still really cute and enjoyable. Sasha had quite a bit of spunk and the book had quite a few funny moments.
Profile Image for Stephanie.
1,524 reviews91 followers
May 18, 2009
One of the cutest book I have ever read. The Simon Romantic Comedies are always very interesting and are a joy to read and Miss Match was no exception.

What I enjoyed about Miss Match was the fun plot and the spunky character, Sasha. Though the plot was pretty typical and kind of cliche, the way Wendy portrayed the whole story was different and fun.

Sasha was extremely spunky. I loved her methods on "matchmaking" others and most of the time, I was cracking up with tears in my eyes. I loved that one scene where she puts gum in the girl's locker so the guy would have an excuse to act all manly and stuff and help the girl. Ahaha. It's amazing how our mind and imagination works.

Derek was so cute. I loved his thinking and his charming skills. Oh, and his eagerness to win the girl he likes/loves. It's so adorable. I especially loved the part where he comes in riding on a horse to ask the girl out for Homecoming. OMG. I think my inner girl self screamed in delight when that happened. Soooo romantic!

I even liked reading about Maddie because she's actually really sweet despite the fact that she's one of the most popular girl in school AND that she's a cheerleader. She loves her sister, Sasha, and it really showed through her actions.

Overall, Miss Match was adorable and I definitely would love to see more of Wendy's stuff.
Profile Image for Valerie.
883 reviews383 followers
December 9, 2010
Umm, it was pretty good. I like the writing style but I had some problems with some charters. Derek didn't really strike me as a guy who needed Miss Match to get a date. He comes up will better ideas than Sasha did. On the other hand, Kevin really needed some help but didn't go to Miss Match. The whole idea of students paying for help getting with their crush just didn't fly with me. I guess I can't see it. I am a teacher and I just can't see any of my students paying for that kind of help.

There are certainly better romantic comedies to read.
Profile Image for Rose.
166 reviews
October 1, 2012
I guess that's the problem when you say to a friend you're in the mood for "some romantic, comedy novel."
I found this book too childish, a lot expected and somehow not very original. (Although, to be honest, its plot was original.) I'm guess I've grown out of these cute books. Need to find some series stuff!
Profile Image for Sabina.
152 reviews8 followers
December 6, 2017
I laughed out loud through the whole book! The main character Sasha is all of us, full of insecurities and not sure of her natural beauty and wit. But there's also Derek who is totally swoon worthy boyfriend material who seems to be interested in Sasha's sister Maddie. Through the laugh out loud dialogues and situations (the fountain contest at the shopping mall is the best!) you won't feel the time flying past. I really loved this book. I highly recommend it to all Louise Rennison and Holly Smale's fans!
Profile Image for Stacey Elder.
233 reviews3 followers
July 6, 2020
I loved it. From the silly antics of the guy who was trying to ask her sister to prom that she interrupted, to her not realizing that he was trying to be with her. It was all great. I wish it went on for a few more pages but I could understand why it didn't. She def had some zany solutions to problems, from synch swimming to diving in a fountain for coins. I wonder if she'll ever hang up her match making hat.
This entire review has been hidden because of spoilers.
Profile Image for Denise.
28 reviews
June 12, 2022
Not too bad - not something I’d personally recommend to a teenager (even though it’s about High Schoolers).
The little inconsistencies bugged me (I’d recommend not using real places if not going to be accurate).
Overall, very cute & fun storyline even if it is predictable.
Profile Image for Veronica.
120 reviews
April 25, 2022
While I was initially uninterested by this book, as I went on, I found myself rooting for the characters. It's honestly a very sweet and cute story, though not one of my favorite books ever.
Profile Image for Lauren.
1,020 reviews103 followers
August 13, 2010
Miss Match is definitely one of my favorite Simon Romantic Comedies out of the ones I've read so far, if not my absolute favorite. I mean, it was such a cute and funny teen romance read, one that I truly couldn't put down even for even a second once I began. Sure, it's not the most unique read out there, but it was cute and just the read I needed after several darker books I had read prior.

Sasha has always been known as the girl to go to when you need help getting together with your current crush, so now that she's in need for money, she's using this fact to use since she decides to start her own matchmaking business. Though, Sasha soon learns matchmaking isn't always as fun as looks when she's asked to hook up her sort of crush with her sister, and with the more time she spends with him, she's starting to realize he may just be the guy for her, not her sister. But what's a matchmaker to do when she faces this sort of problem? Sasha has no clue but she's sure to find out.

Sahsa was a protagonist that was easy to relate to from the get-go because for the most part she's just an ordinary girl. She worries about her weight (what girl doesn’t?), she kind of always feels like she's inferior to her older and more popular sister, and she's worried that the guy she likes may not like her back. Also, she's pretty funny, making her a great protagonist to lead Miss Match. I liked her love interest Derek at lot as well. He was sweet, funny, and just oh-so-adorable, basically the typical lead male in these types of stories.

One of my favorite parts about Miss Match was Sasha's matchmaking business because to be honest I just about love all stories that include matchmaking. I mean, it's just so fun to read about all the different situations a matchmaker faces in their business. Plus, when matchmaking is involved it's almost always includes funny chaos as well.

Wendy Toliver's writing was pretty great and it never ceased to bring the story fully to life. I can't wait to read more by her!

In all, if you're looking for a funny and romantic read, look no further because Miss Match is the book for you!

Grade: B+
Profile Image for moviebunny.
67 reviews11 followers
February 19, 2011
from my blog: http://nymfaux.blogspot.com/

Sasha has an innate skill for matchmaking; she’s so good at it, she’s turned it into an after-school (and during school) business. And everything is fantastic…until the guy Sasha likes, wants her to help get a date with her sister…you see where this is going?

First of all, super-fun! Sasha wasn’t the over-the-top crazy-antics type of girl; she was the hopeless romantic who loves to help people connect with each other. She was cute and funny, but also self-conscious—she was a good friend, and the kind of girl, that you’d like to be friends with (or at least I would!)—I loved all the characters—Sasha’s bff Yasmin, was actually a good friend, no flaking/no being flaked on drama. Sasha’s sister, was a teensy bit on the flaky side, but kind of outstanding on the sister-side. The boys were completely crush-worthy, none of those losers who just look good in a pair of jeans. And even though her parents had some divorce issues going on, they still took time to be parents.

But the book really had so many layers to it—while most of the book had a fun upbeatness to it, there was a particular spot, where Sasha and her Sister are trying on bridesmaid dresses—something I myself did not that long ago—while Sasha’s sister could actually go down a size, Sasha is faced with one of the most humiliating, tortured moments any girl can have—Her dress won’t zip. Here, she’s already self-conscious, and what could be more deflating—especially next to the sister she idolizes? And especially when I know for a fact that that those dress gowns are NOT true to size! I wanted to cry for Sasha, because even though none of the other characters seemed to get it—I TOTALLY got it. And I really loved the way Wendy helped Sasha resolve some of those issues.

And my other FAVORITE part???? Sasha’s concert concoction and then her realizing that the concert is sold out, and she has to find the tickets some other way…Definitely my favorite scene—But I don��t want to spoil it—You should totally pick up Miss Match and read it for yourself!!!!!
Profile Image for Mel (Reviews In A Pinch).
210 reviews35 followers
December 9, 2015
Sometimes you just want to read something fun that doesn’t require a lot of complicated thinking. Sometimes you just wanted to zip through a book, or maybe not. I love having the “chick lit” books on my shelf as an option for the quick and easy read. You need to mix it up every once in a while.

Sasha was an interesting character or rather her money-making hobby was interesting. I don’t remember being boy-crazy in high school and it wasn’t so long ago that I might be remembering things incorrectly. Therefore, I don’t think I would’ve had much use for a match maker, but I think a lot of us could use it now that we’re adults.

Part of me despises the idea that you have to be in a relationship to truly be happy, but then the “Disney brain-washed” part of me loves the idea that there’s someone for everyone. I did have an issue with the fact that all of this was taking place in high school. I understand having a high school sweetheart, but don’t push that crap on kids. They’re young and should be having fun, not settling down.

Derek was just okay. I was fairly unimpressed with him as the heart-throb though. He didn’t really do anything for the story. It was actually the perfect example of an author telling you something versus showing you. I felt like I was being told that Derek was an amazing guy and he had intense chemistry with Sasha, but I wasn’t seeing any of that come through in the story itself.

Overall I did enjoy Miss Match. It was a fun, quick read that gave me a much needed break from the many serious books I’ve been reading. I would recommend Miss Match more for the middle grade, high school crowd or for someone specifically looking for a light read that takes place in high school.

For more reviews, check out Reviews In A Pinch today!
Profile Image for Reggie.
23 reviews62 followers
August 3, 2009
Another cute read from the Simon Pulse Romantic Comedies! Yay!

This book is FULL ON light entertainment. Miss Match is bright and comical. I thought that Toliver did great on making all of the characters witty and realistic. I loved Sasha's character because she was a character that teenagers would be able to relate to. Surprisingly, I also liked Sasha's sister, Maddie. I thought that she was just going to be the cliché cheerleader type, but she was down-to-earth and had her own problems to deal with.

The friendships and relationships between the characters were typical but they were still compelling and charming.

However, even though Miss Match is entertaining, it still has its weak points. For example, nothing in the book would compel me to remember Miss Match. I didn't find anything in Miss Match that was captivating or distinct enough to be 'unforgettable' or unique. Also, I didn't like the whole 'knight' event with Derek. It was just TOTALLY impractical and non-realistic. I found it absurd and grotesque.

The Bottom Line: An easy, carefree book that isn't anything special, but nonetheless a fun read. C :-)
2 reviews1 follower
Read
May 3, 2012
Ashley Romine
“Miss Match” by Wendy Toliver
Ridiculous, predicable, and unoriginal would be a few words I would use to describe this book. I knew how this book was going to end, the moment I read the first chapter. Wendy Toliver’s “Miss Match” was the most predicable cliché I ever read.
“Miss Match” was supposed to be a romantic comedy, but in return just made me ashamed to be a fifteen year old girl. I’m sure Ms. Toliver meant well while writing this book, but it is definitely not my cup of tea. The book was basically about a young girl, who acts as cupid to match people up on dates. Come to find out, one of the boys that she has to set a date up with, is a major cutie-patootie, and he likes her sister. You can probably figure out that the Miss Match becomes jealous of her sister, and starts to like the boy.
Wendy Toliver’s “Miss Match” attempts to capture the high school world. In reality, the book over dramatized high school love triangles. If you are looking for something real, keep looking, but if you are a ten year old child, this may be the book for you!
Profile Image for Katie.
296 reviews
March 5, 2009
Ha! This book made me laugh. I felt I could relate as I didn't go to all the dances in high school and although I didn't totally care about it - I still did a bit. :) This was a cute YA book that told the story of a girl who was so great at matching people up and she turned it into a job (so she could actually get a car and not have to ride a scooter in the snow). I thought her antics to get people to like one another was humorous. Although this story has been told before - girl needs to set up boy, falls inlove instead with him and the love triangle ensues... I thought Ms. Toliver did a great job making it fresh and new. I also thought she did wonderfully with the character development as I felt I knew them by the end of the book. A fun read.
Profile Image for Kristi.
1,188 reviews2,893 followers
March 27, 2009
What a cute book! I’d never read a Simon Romantic Comedy. And I’m not really sure why, because I love a good Romantic Comedy! Miss Match maybe just be the start of something....

The characters were fun. Sasha's character was portrayed very realistically. I couldn’t think of a better leading man than Derek and I even liked Sasha’s sister Maddie, who I initially thought I would hate since she was the perfect cheerleader type.

The relationships between the characters, while it may have been typical, was still very entertaining! Wendy did an awesome job creating such a fun novel! And I’m looking forward to more!

If you’re looking for a cute, quick, fun read, look no further than Miss Match!
Profile Image for Karen.
Author 9 books26 followers
June 24, 2015
Miss Match dips into Jane Austen territory by being a very faint echo of "Emma".

The book isn't bad -- It is cute, and funny, and entertaining. There is no true villain, and the conflict is pretty muted. My impression after reading the book was "facile". Everything falls into place very easily, and it is very easy to read. This book just slides down like Haagen Dazs left out in the sun on a very hot day (not that I know anything about that).

The only part of the book that left a sour taste was Mrs. Woosley, the older lady on her way to dialysis whose car was hit. She was the reason the protagonist had to start working, but poor Mrs. Woosley is still holding on to that $800 repair bill as far as I could tell.
Profile Image for Jennifer Wardrip.
Author 5 books479 followers
March 24, 2009
Reviewed by Jennifer Rummel for TeensReadToo.com

When Sasha hits her neighbor's car, she begs her elderly neighbor to keep it a secret from her parents. She works out a payment plan and then must find a job. Her BFF suggests that she become a matchmaker.

Now she undertakes the hardest job of all, when her sister catches a new student's eye. Can she fix him up with her sister? As she tries to work her magic and spends more time with Derek, she finds out that he's the perfect match - for her.

Can she overcome her feelings and watch her sister and Derek date?

A wicked cute romance with an average girl looking for love mainly for others, but also finding it for herself.
Profile Image for Donna.
71 reviews3 followers
September 13, 2009
This is an example of light reading. I would have enjoyed it more if the research had been done a little better. There were some voice issues with the main character and a few just plain mistakes when it comes to places they went and things that happened. The idea of referencing actual restaurants and places is always fun, but the errors drew my attention away from the characters in a few annoying places. I liked the book overall and the ending is cute. I would suggest it to young girls who are interested in a light fun book to read after a gruesome English assignment. This would be the perfect pick up book for saturday afternoon.
Profile Image for Vivian.
47 reviews14 followers
May 15, 2010
Aww. What a cute book.

I have to admit, I don't read these kind of books often anymore(pure chic-lit). Many in the Simon Romantic Comedies, I find boring. You know, been there, done that. There may be only two or three SRC (Simon Romantic Comedies) books that caught my attention throughout. I'm proud to say that Miss Match is one of them. It was suuuper super cute and corny as well (in fact, if you caught me reading, you would see a goofy grinning dork laying on the couch, eyes glued to a book).

Wendy Toliver is definitely the master of all SRC books. Now, go read the book. Seriously, you'll love it.
Profile Image for Saymon.
28 reviews
December 6, 2009
This is a real suitable book for girls my age. It was kind of confusing in the beginning but after you get through few pages you are good to go. I love the characters in the book, they were all very interesting and easy to follow along. I really liked the ending because the most unexpected thing happened so It was very shocking in a good way. I think that the mother made a good decision by starting to date other people so now the whole family is happy and no one is left out. I recommend this book anyone who is interested in finding their love match.
42 reviews
August 26, 2011
I picked out this book because it was part of the Simon Romantic Comedy series. This book is about a girl, Sasha, who is responsible for setting up her sister with a new student in her school. The plot was interesting because Sasha could help but start to fall for the person she is setting her sister up with. This book was also interesting in that the author used a teenage's language to connect to theplot. What I mean is that the author uses a language that normal teenages use nowadays and I find it easier to understand and connect to this book.
Profile Image for Amanda.
401 reviews27 followers
September 7, 2013
this is one of my favorite of the Simon pulse romantic comedies. Sasha is the every girl making it really easy to connect to her although she was a little spoiled at points, while Derek is the quintessential Prince charming just waiting to sweep a girl off her feet. the tale of a matchmaker who falls in love is wonderful as it allows the book to be filled to the brim with overly cheesy romantic moments (most of which were meticulously planned out before hand) without quite seeming fake and forced by the author (because the main character dopes all the hard work for her).
October 19, 2016
I found this book to be predictable, yet cute. I knew who was going to end up wit who and had a feeling that the book would end with Sasha and Derek together. I love the character, Sasha, because she is a person that you can really relate to with her insecurities. I questioned why Derek didn't just ask Sasha to the dance ahead of time if he knew that Sasha was the one he wanted, instead of waiting last minute and having her go to the dance in jeans.
This entire review has been hidden because of spoilers.
Profile Image for Kate H.
1,679 reviews1 follower
May 17, 2016
Simon Pulse Romantic Comedies are always a fun read. These books are not necessarily the best written novels but the stories are always fun and you know you will get a happy ending. I think some adult romances could take a note from these books b/c they are characterized well which is much of the battle in writing any novel since you want your characters, for the most part, to be endearing and relatable.
Profile Image for Kate.
254 reviews14 followers
June 1, 2009
I liked that it was mostly clean (just a few swear words here and there, even though it is based in Utah, they aren't LDS, which makes me laugh), and had it hilarious parts. It was a fun book to lose myself in, and took me only about four hours to read. Just a fun fluffy romance teen novel to read on a lazy summer day.
Profile Image for Jenna.
98 reviews6 followers
January 17, 2010
This book is so cute! I really liked Sasha. She was a great character - she was so real! I really enjoyed reading about her. Her match making business was creative and a lot of fun to read about. The characters around her were fun too - Derek, Maddie, Yasmin. The family dynamic was interesting and made Sasha seem even more real. This was a fantastic, fun read.
Profile Image for Jamie.
23 reviews1 follower
January 2, 2014
I just love The Romantic Comedies and anything with a matchmaker so to read this book was a no brainer. I thought it was completely charming and I adored how the plot played out that included the relationship between the main character and her sister, and all the extra matchmaking sub plots including her mom. This is my favorite romantic comedy!
Displaying 1 - 30 of 71 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.