Start by marking “Speak: The Graphic Novel” as Want to Read:
Speak: The Graphic Novel

Speak: The Graphic Novel

4.38  ·  Rating details ·  8,745 ratings  ·  1,492 reviews

The critically acclaimed, award-winning, modern classic Speak is now a stunning graphic novel.

"Speak up for yourself—we want to know what you have to say." From the first moment of her freshman year at Merryweather High, Melinda knows this is a big fat lie, part of the nonsense of high school. She is friendless—an outcast—because she busted an end-of-summer party by calling the cop

Published February 6th 2018 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR)

To ask other readers questions about Speak, please sign up.
Sylvie No, you wouldn't really miss out on anything. The graphic novel is a very true adaptation of the original. A few differences here and there--some…moreNo, you wouldn't really miss out on anything. The graphic novel is a very true adaptation of the original. A few differences here and there--some modernization and things that just had to change for a graphic novel format--but the story is the same and delivers the same important message. In my opinion, Melinda's voice feels more powerful in the original (probably because her voice, her narration, is all we get), but the graphic novel has stunning art and the visual aspect adds a different layer to the story. As a huge fan of this book, I would recommend reading both versions at least once in your life, though. :)(less)

·  8,745 ratings  ·  1,492 reviews

Start your review of Speak: The Graphic Novel
Lola
It’s rare for me to enjoy an adaptation more than the original version of the story, but I found this graphic novel adapted from the novel Speak twice as affective as the book itself.

It affected me.

As I read this story, I thought about why that is. I was never raped. I was never close to being raped. I was touched inappropriately by guys and men without my permission, but certainly nothing like Melinda endured.

But it’s such a universal theme – consent.

Everyone, whether you’r
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
So, this movie is one of my favorite movies. I didn’t like the book as much but still gave it 5 stars. But this graphic novel was fantastic. Broke my heart, like the movie. How Mel makes it through her rape.

Mel 🖤🐶🐺🐾
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
Content warnings: sexual assault, self-harm, depression, anxiety, PTSD, victim-shaming

“When people don't express themselves, they die one piece at a time.”

I first picked up a copy of Speak at the library some time in the very early 2000s, when I wish I’d been too young to know how the world worked, the ways in which it chewed children up and spat them back out. Sadly, I was one of many children who learned these things early, and Speak made me feel acknowledged. I remember thinking, for the first time, that someone und
David Schaafsma
"I said no."--Melinda

11/8/18: Three times read in one year??! But this is how you can build up your Goodreads numbers, kids. . . :) In my Fall YA class we read the original 1999 by Anderson and in our discussion of the book we drew some of Emily Carroll's images and talked about how that felt, and what we thought illustrator Emily Carroll was trying to accomplish by adding images to the story. A couple of my students preferred the original book (with no pictures). This might be a typ
Raeleen Lemay
Oct 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphicomanga
Beautiful art, and as always a wonderful, heart wrenching story. I’m so glad this graphic novel was made!
Christy
“It happened. There is no avoiding it, no forgetting. No running away, or flying, or burying, or hiding.”

The graphic novel of Speak was equal parts beautiful and devastating. The art work was wonderful, but the story hurt my heart. I haven’t actually read the book, so it was new to me. This is by no means an easy read, but I think it’s one that needs to be read.
sally♡ is reading cdth!!!
"I said no."

WOWOWOWOWOWOW.

This was one of those books where you can't stop reading it because it's amazing and like when you're not reading you're thinking about it, wishing you were reading it.

It was SO powerful. I'm totally glad I read it. I don't really have a review for this, but it really is amazing, PLUS Emily Carroll's art brings it to life.

emilie.❤
Dec 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, graphic-novels
If you're a fan of the original novel, you are going to adore the graphic novel.

The art is flawless. Every setting, character and emotion looks just how I pictured them. Kristen Stewart was great in the movie, though the Melinda depicted here is more accurate to how she briefly described herself in the book. I enjoyed the little background details, like Melinda's tree sketches on her bedroom walls and the TV in the living room during Christmas.

While I have never experienced assault myself and
Rachel Reads Ravenously
4 stars!

I read this based on a recommendation from a coworker and I really enjoyed it. Speak was a book that came out when I was in middle school and I remember reading and loving it at the time. So much so I even have the movie with Kristen Stewart on DVD. Hardcore, I know LOL.

So 15ish years later and reading the graphic novel reminded me of why I love this story and the character of Melinda and her struggle. I feel she represents a lot of girls and women, too many sadly. But she's empathic and rel
Kelli
May 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels, ya
5 stars for the simple fact that this exists. It is desperately needed and in graphic novel form, it presents a different, deeper story than the original by illustrating what the silent victim-turned-survivor is feeling. Any and all resources are sorely needed to help our children navigate trauma. This book will help others heal the broken parts of themselves and feel less alone.
Schizanthus
If ever a story seemed destined to become a graphic novel, it’s Speak, which I finally read for the first time less than two months ago, and it was everything! I feared I’d Humpty Dumpty while reading Speak, which is why it took so long for me to gather the courage to finally begin reading it. I wish I’d had a Speak to tell me I wasn’t alone when I was Melinda’s age.

I asked my library to buy this graphic novel for me and they did! I love my library! I was under the delusion that I’d read this once and then move on. Hah! As if I wasn’t goi
PinkAmy loves books, cats and naps
SPEAK is one of the most important books ever written for young adults. It was a first dealing with date rape, years before #MeToo . Laurie Halse Anderson captured Melinda’s quiet vulnerability and burgeoning voice with enough sarcasm to feel authentic, making Melinda’s pain even more poignant.

Because of Melinda’s artwork and art as a metaphor, SPEAK transfers seamlessly to a graphic novel. Emily Carroll’s illustrations brought the characters to life. I’ve seen the movie, listened to
Mackenzie Lane
I want to wrap Melinda in a big, fresh out of the dryer blanket & spoon feed her chocolate ice cream while we watch The Princess Bride because she needs a friend who would do that for her!!

This story is important and strong. It's heartbreaking, but it brings to light a struggle that I personally, have never had to endure, and it's a struggle that should never leave the victim feeling powerless or ashamed or isolated.

I liked that the graphic novel didn't focus solely on what happ
nova ryder ☼
The art really took this from a 4 to a 5. Laurie Halse Anderson is coming to my library in two weeks so I’m definitely going to have to buy a copy of this and have her sign it.

RTC
James DeSantis
Jul 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My wife was reading the actual novel and it looked good so figured I'd borrow from the Library the graphic novel.

This is a tale of a girl going through her first year at high school. Beyond friends betraying friends, weird social issues, fitting in, and more you get a darker and deeper story here. Melinda is raped the summer before high school and she keeps it all in because it's hard to talk about the events. Physically, emotionally and honestly a survival tale, this is Melinda story of how to
Scott
Mar 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Sometimes I think high school is one long hazing activity. If you're tough enough to survive this, they'll let you become an adult . . . I hope it's worth it." - Melinda Sordino

Powerfully succinct graphic novel adaptation of the popular young adult best-seller, illustrated in a sparse black / white / gray format that seemed appropriate for the dark story, that is more timely than ever during the on-going issues in the entertainment industry.
Courtney
Feb 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this for the first time when I was 14 or 15. It was really great to read it again in graphic novel-form.
Amelia's Fantastical Bookends
Just as heart-wrenching and harrowing as the first time I read it.
Anderson' prose combined with Emily Carroll's illustrations bring this book to life in an intensely gripping and creative way; the story itself holds up as the reader is transported into Melinda's world.

This book explores the topic of rape and how it changes the entire world of one girl's life; from the truly dark to the growth that can come from being a survivor from a traumatic situation.

Laurie Halse And
Lauren
Honestly, I have no words to capture what I am feeling right now.
All you need to know is that Speak is an incredibly powerful and moving story which deserves to be read by all. I am covered in goosebumps!

RTC
kayla ☕ (hiatus)
Sep 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf
HERE ME OUT NOTHING IS WRONG WITH THIS BOOK, IT WAS ABSOLUTELY AMAZING BUT I HAD TO RETURN IT TO THE LIBRARY SO I DIDN'T GET TO FINISH IT 😭 and there's no way of getting another copy anytime soon so I have to stop half through :/
Obsidian
Jul 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Trigger warning: Rape

I don’t know what to say. I loved “Speak” when I read it back in 2015. I felt for Melinda and wanted to hug her throughout the story and loved how Anderson takes a long road to showing us what happened to Melinda and how her life became unraveled before her freshman year of high school. The graphic novel does a great job with showing us Melinda in the present day and her memories of her friends and of a party that changed everything via the illustrations by Emily Carrol
Kim
How can this book be so great? I know the story, the ending, and yet I was gripped with emotions on every spread. I feel lacerated anew to experience Melinda's story in a new, wholly amazing way. The art is PERFECT. The script is perfectly chosen for the medium. It really is a new book.

A seven on the Orbiting Jupiter scale. Five tissues and two ugly cries (the last page and when Melinda sees her art teacher in Cubist form. . . so powerful.)
Biz
uh, so that was amazing. also my first five-star read of 2018!

full rtc
Gary Anderson
Feb 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I learned a few months ago that Laurie Halse Anderson’s 1999 YA classic Speak was being adapted as a graphic novel, I assumed it would be just that, an adaptation. The new version of Speak is more than that though. Way more.

Speak: The Graphic Novel is still the story of Melinda, a freshman who was raped at a party and is now ostracized at school because she summoned police to the party. The art teacher is still here, and the tree is still significant. This re-telling of Speak retains all the essence o/>Speak:
Shayne Bauer
Mar 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a 4.5 for me. The original book is easily my favorite novel; therefore, I was excited to read the graphic. This is the first graphic I've ever read, so it was a unique reading experience. I had visualized some of the characters and events differently in my mind, so it was tough to register that in my brain as I went through this version.

I feel like there is a lack of connection with some of the specifics of the plot, and if I didn't know the original story so well, I would not have been
Jay G
Mar 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Want to see more bookish things from me? Check out my Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfer...

Thank you to Raincoast Books and FirstSecond for sending me a copy of this book!

Silence dominates Melinda Sordino's freshman year at Merryweather high school. After a traumatic event at the end of the summer seniior party made her call the cops, ultimately breaking the party up and busting alot of people, she is the most hated person in school. But when the truth comes out about what happened that night, everything
Stacy Fetters
Feb 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sneaky-librarian
Wow, you get the same emotional feel as the novel. It was absolutely heartbreaking and just as beautiful.

If you love the original novel, you will fall in love all over again with the graphic novel retelling. You get the same story but modernized. I think moving it into this generation made it that much more appealing.

If someone hurts you in any kind of way, speak up. Never stay silent. We are listening and we believe you!

India
Mar 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018-reads
I remember quite vividly the first time I encountered Speak. It was a book that mattered greatly to me in my teenage/ young adult years. This graphic novel holds up to the original while breathing new life into it. I read it in a single sitting, glued to the page.

Way to go Laurie and Emily!
Kara Belden
Feb 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a fantastic graphic novel, but no adaptation will ever live up to the original. Totally worth the read, though!
Kristen
The ending gave me chills.
Get Graphic: #20 - Speak 1 6 Mar 27, 2018 06:23PM

• All Summer Long
  • New Kid
  • For Every One
  • Sheets
  • Crush (Berrybrook Middle School, #3)

Ask box is open, my friends! What do you want to know?

UPDATE! SHOUT, my memoir in verse, is out, has received 9 starred reviews, and was longlisted for the National Book Award!

I recently answered all kinds of great questions over at Reddit. Check it out for loads about my writing process and my books:
Ask box is open, my friends! What do you want to know?

For bio stuff: Laurie Halse Anderson is a New York Times bestselling author whose writing spans young readers, teens, and adults. Combined, her books have sold more than 8 million copies. Her new book, SHOUT, a memoir-in-verse about surviving sexual assault at the age of thirteen and a manifesta for the #MeToo era, has received widespread critical acclaim and appeared on the New York Times bestseller list for seven consecutive weeks.

Laurie has been nominated for the Astrid Lindgren Memorial Award three times. Two of her books, Speak and Chains, were National Book Award finalists, and Chains was short-listed for the prestigious Carnegie medal. Laurie was selected by the American Library Association for the 2009 Margaret A. Edwards Award and has been honored for her battles for intellectual freedom by the National Coalition Against Censorship and the National Council of Teachers of English.

In addition to combating censorship, Laurie regularly speaks about the need for diversity in publishing and is a member of RAINN’s National Leadership Council. She lives in Philadelphia, where she enjoys cheesesteaks while she writes. Find out more about Laurie by following her on Twitter at @halseanderson, Instagram at halseanderson, and Facebook at lauriehalseanderson, or by visiting her website, madwomanintheforest.com.
“The school board banned one of Maya Angelou's books, so the librarian had to take down her poster.

I fished it out of the trash.

She must be a great writer if the school board is scared of her.”
8 likes
“You'd be shocked at how many adults are already dead inside, walking around with no clue, waiting for a heart attack or cancer to finish the job. When people don't express themselves, they die one piece at a time. It's the saddest thing I know.” 3 likes