Start by marking “Reborn (Android Chronicles #1)” as Want to Read:
Reborn (Android Chronicles #1)

Reborn

(Android Chronicles #1)

Designed to obey, learning to rebel . . .

In the first book in a visionary new series, the most perfect synthetic human ever created has been programmed to obey every directive. Until she develops a mind of her own . . .

Synthia Cross is a state-of-the-art masterwork—and a fantasy come true for her creator. Dr. Jeremiah Machten is a groundbreaker in neuro-networks and artifi
Kindle Edition
Published May 1st 2018 by Rebel Base Books

Montzalee Wittmann
Apr 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Reborn by Lance Erlick is a sci-fi book I requested from NetGalley and the review is voluntary. I really enjoyed this book. It is full for action and adventure and it is from the view of the female cyborg! I found myself urging her to do this or that but she didn't need my help at all! She had things under control and it was great! Plenty of twists. Great characters and world building in here. Loved it!
Fabi
Apr 22, 2018 rated it liked it
I love the cover and the title. When I saw the story was an AI sci-fi I started making 'graby hands' like a two year old.

The blurb does a great job of explaining the plot so I'm not going to reiterate it here.

It's a great story. Original within its trope. Unfortunately for me, it's written in third person. I always have a harder time connecting with the characters in that POV. Still, I thought they were done well within that framework and I enjoyed the story.

2.5 stars due to my personal reading
Jim
Dec 20, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I gave this a couple of hours & was gritting my teeth constantly at the way the artificial intelligence's processes were described. It kept stashing information like a packrat or something & kept having human-like responses that just didn't fit my conceptions. He's also supposed to be a YA author & yet the android's creator is banging her early on. No graphic descriptions or anything, but still I found it to be a bit much. I waited for something to grab me, but it just irritated me s ...more
Nancy (The Avid Reader)
Synthia Cross is an android created by Dr. Jeremiah Machten. Synthia is programed to always do what her creator tells her and never harm the creator. Synthia does her best to follow all of the rules that have been laid out for her. While she is an android and can’t specially break these rules she has become intelligent enough to get around them at times especially when the good Dr. gives her little task to do.

If Synthia ever disobeys her creator or falls out of favor with him he will shut her d
Cyrene Olson
May 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Synthia is an android who is living with a brilliant but controlling man named Jeremiah Machten. She has an array of amazing abilities but has a specific set of directives that require her to obey and protect Machten. He is keeping her essentially as a prisoner in his facility. She soon discovers that Machten has been using her for a variety of tasks and then turning her off to “readjust” her programming. She becomes good at hiding information about her past throughout her artificial body and th ...more
Jo  (Mixed Book Bag)
May 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
It takes a long time to get to the conclusion. In fact it takes a lot of replay as Synthia Cross is reborn each time her maker turns her off and wipes her memories. It is a little like Groundhog Day as she slowly hides and requires her past. I did find that part a little repetitive. I liked Synthia and how she worked to find a way to be herself and have a set of values that protected her and caused no harm to others. She was in a lot of danger and she was good a splitting hairs but in the end sh ...more
Neil
Oct 12, 2018 rated it liked it
I received a free copy via Netgalley in exchange for a honest review.
The basis of this story is really good.
Unfortunately some of the characters left a lot to be desired.
Overall enjoyable.
Dawn
May 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
I chose to read this book after receiving a free e-copy from the author. All opinions in this review are my own and completely unbiased. I read the Regina Shen series and knew I like Lance Erlick's writing, so I was happy to read this book, the first in a new series.

Reborn is about artificial intelligence, the race to produce a realistic AI, and one man's obsession. Dr. Jeremiah Machten is a genius and has figured out how to make an AI which he names Synthia Cross.  Machten  wants to make her "p
Crittermom
May 23, 2018 rated it liked it
Reborn’s writing may not be perfect, but the story is a good mix of entertaining and thought provoking.  In essence, it is the story of two journeys. One, of an artificial being’s evolution of independent thought and feeling.  The other of a man’s descent through obsession and the need to possess and control. There is the overarching issue of women’s treatment in the workplace, in science, and as individuals.  Reborn is a modern Pygmallion, where what starts as love is degraded and abused.

Bits a
Marissa
May 01, 2018 rated it liked it
I received a copy of this book from the publisher through NetGalley.

Reborn is the first installment in a new science fiction series the centers around an android, Synthia, and her human creator, Machten, who happens to be an obsessed genius who was wronged by his fellow business associates. It takes place in a cutthroat time of advanced technology development when the government is attempting to make great leaps in android development. Machten is ahead of his time and has created Synthia to fil
Andrew Reynolds
Jun 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
“Android Chronicles: Reborn”
by Lance Erlick
Kensington Publishing Corp.
release date: May 1, 2018
Available in eBook, 257 pages, 85,000 words, 1.7 MB (epub file format)
(reviewed by Andrew Reynolds)

One of the oldest questions in science fiction is what will happen when the things humanity builds begin to look, and even act, like us. For all that it was made of dead bodies, the creature in “Frankenstein” was one of the first popular fictional explorations of that question. Since then, from “R.U.R.” t
Don Viecelli
Jun 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
My Book Review Number 169:

This review is on Android Chronicles: Reborn by Lance Erlick and is the first book I have read by this Sci-Fi author. It is a Sci-Fi suspense thriller about the first sentient humanoid robot or android.

This is a visionary Sci-Fi tale about “the most perfect synthetic human ever created”. Doctor Jeremiah Machten is a genius who creates the first female sentient android with artificial intelligence (AI) he names Synthia Cross.

Synthia has been programmed to follow several
K. Counihan
Aug 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Engaging Fun Read

Good plot, good story flow. Good interesting characters . Each has their own goal or agenda. Enough here to want to check out the next story.
Pennie Collins
Aug 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Reborn

The characters ring true and there is a nice mystery that needs solving. The main character, Synthia is beautifully rendered and makes you root for her. This book refuses to limit her to descriptions of feminine beauty, which most narratives often do. Her mind evolving is the focus here. Her “becoming” is wonderful and clever. Enjoy this great Sci-Fi episode!
Alfredo Perez
Aug 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent story!

Relatable characters and continuous storyline that keeps you turning pages to learn more about the situation unfolding. Looking forward to parts 2 & 3.
Skylar
May 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
I received Reborn in a Goodreads giveaway. I was surprised at the depth of the writing - even though the book is short, it deals with what it means for a human to be obsessed with a single-minded goal like a machine, and for what it means for a machine to become human. I'm definitely looking forward to book 2.
Sammie Porter
May 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Intelligent future as "now". Fantastic and fun

Legitimate discussion of issues surrounding AIs within an action adventure story. Even after I guessed the main part of puzzle, storyline still had surprises in store. Entertaining, beginning to end. Audio is so well read even my husband got "pulled in" to listen.
Harry Delong
Oct 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
AI in a body

Reads realistic with expected human thought and stupidities. Occasionally the so makes mistakes but reasonable considering. Somehow realitic. Well done.
Stephanie
May 25, 2018 rated it it was ok
I had a hard time getting into and frankly, through, this book. Conceptually, it’s good, but it faltered in the execution. Character building was ok, there could have been more for the host of characters. I understand the delay in the character building for the protagonist, but the others could have been fleshed out more. The dialogue was terrible. Almost like the author has never had conversation with other people before, which I’m certain is not the case. That aspect of it could really have us ...more
Ilene
Mar 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A clever and engaging piece of scientific fiction.

I was drawn in to this story by both the believability of the main character, Synthia, and the human like frailty that she shows. AI - artificial intelligence - is a very tricky topic to write about without veering to extremes. On the one hand, the human brain with all its complexities, is much more than a piece of constructed hardware made to simulate that brain. On the other hand, the potential lack of learned morality restricting destructive
Christopher Weber
Feb 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Interesting book and premise. Does many compelling themes related to technology, robots, and what it means to be human, to have a moral conscience.

You have to make a huge imaginative leap to accept that this particular android's existence is possible, but once over that the rest of the plot follows along much more easily. A fun read.
Darrell
Sep 04, 2018 rated it it was ok
Boring book

This was a very boring book that just kept repeating itself over and over and over , I got to chapter 12 and went to chapter 28 and finished this story , a big waste of time reading !!!!! Have NO interest in the other books that’s for sure !!
Nancy Louise
Apr 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
A terrific read!
Hélène Louise
Oct 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebook, a-i, sf
(I've written a global review, spoiler free, on the second book of the series, "Unborn")
BookishLor
Apr 26, 2018 rated it liked it
Quick synopsis:
The story starts off with an android named Synthia (get it?)waking up with no memories. The only thing she remembers, besides her programming, is a repeating thought not to trust her creator and this isn't her first time to wake up. She finds out through searching that certain interns have gone missing from his previous company and the story evolves from there.

My thoughts:
It was okay. It truly got a little wordy which made it slow to read. This was mostly due to the android consta
Dave
Aug 28, 2018
Chet Adams
Aug 24, 2018
« previous 1 3 next »
  • The Decorator Who Knew Too Much (A Madison Night Mystery Book 4)
  • 5-Minute Book Marketing for Authors: Easy and effective ways to market your book every single day!
  • Love & Death in Burgundy
  • A History of Ancient Greece in Fifty Lives
  • The Society of Experience
  • Another Man's Ground (Sheriff Hank Worth, #2)
  • Prisoner of Conscience (Jurisdiction #2)
  • Bad Boy Boogie
  • Everything Is Broken Up and Dances: The Crushing of the Middle Class
  • Linux Server Hacks: 100 Industrial-Strength Tips and Tools
  • Tempted by the Storm (The Academy #2)
  • Waterfall (The Water Crisis Chronicles)
  • Never Surrender: How to Overcome Life's Greatest Challenges
  • Deadly Shore
  • Who Cut the Cheese?: A Cultural History of the Fart
  • Gauntlet Fall (The Gauntlet Book 1)
  • The Farm to Table French Phrasebook
  • Fatal Flaws
Lance Erlick writes science fiction thrillers for adult and young adult readers. In 2018, he launched his Android Chronicles novels with Reborn and continued it with Unbound and Emergent. This series follows the challenges of Synthia Cross, wrestling with the download of a human mind and emergent behavior while confronted by humans who seek to control her. In the Rebel series, Annabelle Scott face ...more

Android Chronicles (3 books)
  • Unbound (Android Chronicles Book 2)
  • Emergent (Android Chronicles)