Start by marking “Bring Me Some Apples and I'll Make You a Pie: A Story About Edna Lewis” as Want to Read:
Bring Me Some Apples and I'll Make You a Pie: A Story About Edna Lewis

Bring Me Some Apples and I'll Make You a Pie: A Story About Edna Lewis

Long before the natural-food movement gained popularity, before greenmarkets sprouted across the United States, Edna Lewis championed purity of ingredients, regional cuisine, and the importance of bringing food directly from the farm to the table. She was a chef when female chefs—let alone African American female chefs—were few and far between, and she received many awards ...more
Published June 18th 2008 by Clarion Books

To ask other readers questions about Bring Me Some Apples and I'll Make You a Pie, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bring Me Some Apples and I'll Make You a Pie

Start your review of Bring Me Some Apples and I'll Make You a Pie: A Story About Edna Lewis
Lisa  (not getting friends updates) Vegan
This is an excellent non-fiction book for children. One of the best things about it is that it makes fruits and vegetables seem so appealing.

I love the illustrations. The story text is a mix of straight prose and of rhymes and sayings from Edna’s childhood on the farm and from American folk traditions.

I’m so glad a children’s biography book was written about Edna Lewis, whose grandfather was one of three freed slaves who founded the farming community of Freetown, VA. the story also seems very m
Kathryn
Feb 27, 2010 rated it really liked it
An entertaining story all about the glorious of food--real, honest-to-goodness fruits and veggies enjoyed fresh the way nature intended. You'll no doubt be hungry after you finish reading, so it's nice they have included a few recipes in the back :-) I wish there had been a bit more in the story to show what made Edna Lewis so special--it's really more a story just about her family and how much they love food, so while it clearly shows her early passion for food it doesn't tell about her experie ...more
Abigail
Sep 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Picture-Book Readers Looking for Good Biographies
Recommended to Abigail by: Lisa (not getting friends updates) Vegan
Growing up on her family's farm in Freetown, Virginia - a settlement of freed slaves co-founded by her grandfather - Edna Lewis learned that food tastes best when it's "sun-ripened and freshly picked," knowledge that would stand her in good stead in her future career as a chef. Bring Me Some Apples and I'll Make You a Pie is a fictionalized account of Lewis' childhood, of the seasonal crops - from spring strawberries and salad greens, to summer peaches and fall apples - she helped to gather, and ...more
Mir
Jun 08, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: culinary, picture
A nice introduction to the idea of seasonal cooking and to practices like foraging and canning. Unfortunately the dialogue is not at all convincing, sounding more like Edna Lewis the elderly cook than Edna Lewis the energetic little girl.
Robert Davis
Edna Lewis was the Grande Dame of southern cuisine. This is a loving tribute to her Halcion childhood living on a farm and routinely harvesting fresh seasonal fruits. It is a lovely book, and it is also quite tedious. Children will be bored with it quickly. There is an interesting biographical section and some nice looking recipes, but the book is just too repetitious.
Ann
Jun 08, 2010 rated it really liked it
The story is inspired by the life of chef and cookbook author Edna Lewis, with inspiration from the author's own childhood. The story takes us from the first call of the whippoorwill in spring through the last harvest before the winter. I like the idea of moving through the seasons based on what crop is harvested: strawberries in spring, blackberries in summer, apples in the fall. I also love how the author mentions various dishes the crops can be used in, and even how they are canned, preserved ...more
Kelly H. (Maybedog)
I was a little disappointed in this book. I expected it to be the story of a girl who grows up to become a famous chef, since this book is supposed to be about her. But instead, it's about all of the fruits, nuts and vegetables the child and her family picked each season and the foods the mother made with them. There were random poems some characters spoke which felt out of place. The illustrations were okay, not the best watercolors I've seen and you can still make out the pencil lines where th ...more
Crystal Marcos
Jun 24, 2010 rated it really liked it
I wasn't he most excited about the illustrations. It was the love you could feel from the family and the whole foods that brought them together that did it for me. I like the way the book flowed with little songs and sayings throughout it. I especially enjoyed wanting more and more to be on the farm with every page of the book. My parents have a garden and mom has an over abundance of strawberries. Last night, I was over there and she was making strawberry jam for the first time. Now I have anot ...more
Karol
Jun 06, 2010 rated it liked it
For some reason, this book didn't hold a lot of appeal for me. Surprising, since I spent many hours on my grandparents' farm enjoying the same kinds of activities and sayings as this book contained. Somehow, the presentation in this book didn't strike a chord with my own experiences. Still, I thought it did a good job exploring "fresh is best" and some of the traditions that go hand in hand with rural life. ...more
SamZ
Jul 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: biographical
A fictional biography of the childhood of Chef Edna Lewis. I loved the folk songs sprinkled throughout the story as the children spent their spring, summer, and fall gathering and harvesting ingredients from the land. I remember canning peaches with my mom or gathering produce from my grandmother's garden when I was a small child. While the love of gardening and growing things hasn't roosted in my own life, I can appreciate the hard work and entirely agree that the best foods are made with fresh ...more
N_carlyl
Nov 02, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: historical-fic
I chose this book as the first one to read this week because I was immediately drawn to the illustration on the cover as well as the title. Throughout the story, the illustrations appear to be like watercolor paintings. They are all so colorful and truly make the images come alive. The food in the story looks like I could grab it and take a bite! Not only do the images make you want to eat more, the story itself inspired me to cook more!

This story tells about the childhood of a remarkable lady.
Sam Bloom
Mar 25, 2009 rated it really liked it
Based on the childhood of African-American chef Edna Lewis, this title is highly recommended for foodies, cooks, and gardeners. As spring approaches, Edna and her family start planting, picking, and harvesting their crops, talking about recipes and sharing rhymes. The result is really quite charming.
Juli Anna
This is a lyrical and sensual picture biography of Edna Lewis. Rather than focusing on her life events, this story evokes the passions that she carried with her the rest of her life, including seasonal eating and regionalism. I especially loved the rhymes and lyrics that Gourley worked into the text--they gave the whole book a pleasing rhythm.
Mary Ann
This is a nice book about the different foods you gather at different seasons, and the dishes you make with them. But it just didn't speak to me emotionally.

I don't think kids who grow up far from farms will feel this book. The art work is very nice.
Sarah Beattie
Mar 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: life
Awards Received (if any):
-None found.

Appropriate Grade Level:
-1st grade through 3rd grade

Original Summary:
-This book tells the true story of a young African American girl named Edna Lewis, who was a famous chef as she grew older. The story follows Edna as a little girl with her family on their farm in Virginia and shows them planting and harvesting seasonal fruits and vegetables. The story emphasizes their hard work towards preparing field to table meals for their family, while also incorporatin
Mary
While this story is supposedly based on the childhood of Edna Lewis, it could be about any young girl in a loving and hard-working multigenerational southern farm family. Starting with early spring, the book describes the fruits and vegetables the family harvests through the year. Little rhymes and proverbs from the family lore accompany some of the vignettes about the crops.
Author's notes at the end of the book add some information about Edna Lewis. A few simple recipes for dishes mentioned in
Jessie
Dec 27, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: food
This is a fictionalized childhood story about Edna Lewis, imagining the influences and life that led to her focus on fresh ingredients.

Seasons come through really strongly here. There are also a lot of sayings and songs, the kind of wisdom that is passed down through families/communities.

There's very little (even in the back matter) in the way of biography of Lewis. The majority of the back matter is recipes.
Sonya Bausinger
This story is based on Edna Lewis who was born in 1916. She lived in Freetown, Virginia where most were farmers. Edna grew up toe be a famous chef. The book talks about the different foods found on a farm throughout the seasons and also includes some recipes. I like that cute poems scattered throughout the book as well.
Dale
Jul 11, 2020 rated it liked it
(early) a historical recounting of the famous African Amierican chef Edna Lewis’s childhood of reaping from the land to have enough food for the winter; the author is not related to Ms. Lewis, but certainly harbors an affinity for Ms. Lewis’s contribution to the foodie culture; 2009 hardback purchased via Madison County Public Library, Berea Friends of the Library Bag Book Sale, unnumbered pgs.
Alyssa Bohon
Aug 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Absolutely delightful. Loved the harvesting through the seasons and especially that stocked pantry at the end. The folk songs throughout, sung during the harvest, brought warmth and history. I need to try making some of those recipes at the back....
Sarah Lancaster
Apr 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Grade: 3rd-5th
Genre: Contemporary Realistic

I really enjoyed reading this book! It was like another book I read about gardening in different seasons. I really liked how this book described the different foods you can make with different vegetables and fruits!
Jo Oehrlein
Dec 29, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A fiction story about one year in the life of a young girl (who eventually grew up to become a famous farm-to-table chef).

It's all about the seasons and gathering/picking/harvesting food appropriate to the season.

Full of traditional rhymes about food.
Annamarie Carlson (she, her)
Follow Edna Lewis through the seasons before she was a famous chef. Learn about her childhood growing, harvesting, and collecting peaches, cherries, berries, corn, beans, greens, and more in her farming community.
Maeve
Edna Lewis (who grew up to become a well-known chef) experiences all the bounties of nature throughout a year at a farm...harvesting fruits and vegetables, preparing them for meals, and preserving them for later use.
Alison
Edna Lewis was a pioneer influencing farm to table cooking. The book talks about the different crops her family grew and the food created with those ingredients.
There is a blurb about the author and Edna at the end of the book as well as several recipes.
Jessica Lewers
This is a good biography for children to read about Edna Lewis. It is also a good book for students to explore jobs because it talks about how she loved nature and working with food and became a chef.
Age level: 4-7
Lexile level: AD810L
Lynn  Davidson
Sep 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a story based on the childhood years of Edna Lewis who learned about fresh produce and how to prepare delicious meals. She became a famous chef.
Sandy
Feb 10, 2020 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book and its colorful artwork, but my child found the repetition to be tedious and it did not hold her interest.
Alice
Oct 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
Recipes at the back of the book include strawberry shortcake, corn pudding, pecan drops, nut-butter squares, apple crisp (a favorite!)
Richie Partington
Jul 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: box23, biography-pb
13 February 2009 BRING ME SOME APPLES AND I'LL MAKE YOU A PIE: A STORY ABOUT EDNA LEWIS by Robbin Gourley, Clarion, 48p., January 2009, ISBN: 978-0-618-15836-2

"Start at the bottom and you pick 'em from the ground
And you pick the tree clean all the way around;
Then you set up your ladder and you climb up high
And you're looking through the leaves at the clear blue sky."
-- Larry Hanks, "Apple Picker's Reel"

Today is one of those days that cannot make up its mind. It was raining earlier this morning
« previous 1 3 next »